ADVERTISEMENT

No Surprise Here: Tom Crean Out At Georgia

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
Atlanta Journal-Constitution saying it's looking like a "done deal" he'll be fired at the end of the season, so sometime in the next couple of days

Last edited:
And yet here is a guy that made millions!
Unless he is an idiot with money, he is set and I am pissed that IU contributed to it!

Reactions: IUgradman
Unless he is an idiot with money, he is set and I am pissed that IU contributed to it!

I will always have mixed feelings on Tom Crean.

I don't have the highest opinion of him as a basketball coach. But I think he's a good man, if a little peculiar.

That said, I will always be grateful to him for taking over our beloved program after it had basically been burned to the ground. Not only were there only 2 walkons remaining from the year prior, he came into it knowing that he would inherit recruiting restrictions that were not of his own making. On top of that, it was a program still reeling from a bitter divorce. To his credit, he made some genuine efforts to try to heal those wounds. He wasn't successful on that front -- but nobody could've been.

And he was able to have some genuine successes. A couple B10 championships -- one of which came during a stacked year in the conference. A #1 seed in the tournament. Even some measure of excitement during the leanest of seasons. And, oh, that victory over Kentucky. Boy, did we need that.

I sincerely wish Tom the best of luck. And I don't think I'd say that about all of our recent ex-coaches.

I don't have the highest opinion of him as a basketball coach. But I think he's a good man, if a little peculiar.

That said, I will always be grateful to him for taking over our beloved program after it had basically been burned to the ground. Not only were there only 2 walkons remaining from the year prior, he came into it knowing that he would inherit recruiting restrictions that were not of his own making. On top of that, it was a program still reeling from a bitter divorce. To his credit, he made some genuine efforts to try to heal those wounds. He wasn't successful on that front -- but nobody could've been.

And he was able to have some genuine successes. A couple B10 championships -- one of which came during a stacked year in the conference. A #1 seed in the tournament. Even some measure of excitement during the leanest of seasons. And, oh, that victory over Kentucky. Boy, did we need that.

I sincerely wish Tom the best of luck. And I don't think I'd say that about all of our recent ex-coaches.
😂

MY_HAIR_IS_A_BIRD.0.jpg

At least he had the balls to proclaim, "Because it's Indiana!" No one has had the nerve to say it since and maybe never ever.

"It's Indiana? INDIANA? Indiana doesn't mean diddly-squat!" ~ Jim Mora

All self-inflicted wounds for the purpose of having a huge honeymoon. He could have invited any of our alleged pot smokers that Dickich kicked off back, but he didn't. Instead we get multiple alcohol and drunk driving arrests, a player running over a teammate drunk and ending his career, an a nut punching future murderer all while we sucked. Sounds like a great changer of culture over pot smoking and texting too much, plus he had 2 decent teams that both underachieved. Some great history.

This is my favorite ...
b0b8acdb4513e469b6a3ebf38ddf0f47_w200.webp

Last edited:
Don't even get me started on Archie. He was nothing but a disaster here. That can't be said about Tom Crean.

My feeling with Archie based on what I saw and a few things I have heard about behind the scenes stuff is that Archie had a huge chip on his shoulder, but in weird counterproductive sort of way. Essentially he was highly self conscious about any success being attributed to the school and not his coaching, so he went out of his way to do things on his own without any help

Archie would never have said it. Because he never believed it. I still say the guy never really wanted to be here. He sure as hell never acted like it.

Dude likely ran away from happiness at Dayton. Gotta swing for the fences, his lucky-to-not-be-in-jail older bro was probably telling him.

Reactions: bailey777
Dude likely ran away from happiness at Dayton. Gotta swing for the fences, his lucky-to-not-be-in-jail older bro was probably telling him.
yep...and yet Zona will probably get a 1 seed this year....$elf and Kansas a 1-2, UNC never paid for phony classes....and yet we're still suffering from a couple 3-way cell phone conf calls (and several bad hiring decisions) 15 yrs later. wtf

note- my last comment does not include CMW. I'm willing to give him 2-3 yrs before casting any judgment over the direction of this ship.

yep...and yet Zona will probably get a 1 seed this year....$elf and Kansas a 1-2, UNC never paid for phony classes....and yet we're still suffering from a couple 3-way cell phone conf calls (and several bad hiring decisions) 15 yrs later. wtf

note- my last comment does not include CMW. I'm willing to give him 2-3 yrs before casting any judgment over the direction of this ship.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up

All self-inflicted wounds for the purpose of having a huge honeymoon. He could have invited any of our alleged pot smokers that Dickich kicked off back, but he didn't. Instead we get multiple alcohol and drunk driving arrests, a player running over a teammate drunk and ending his career, an a nut punching future murderer all while we sucked. Sounds like a great changer of culture over pot smoking and texting too much, plus he had 2 decent teams that both underachieved. Some great history.

This is my favorite ...
b0b8acdb4513e469b6a3ebf38ddf0f47_w200.webp
In fairness the player who was run over didn’t have his career ending until his own indiscretions the following season

At least he did have two B1G outright regular season titles. Archie is the one you should really be pissed about.
AM ended up being a complete disaster for IU.

I speculate that part of the reason you’re seeing (unreasonable) impatience with MW’s results is because AM burned through a gross quantity of the fan base’s forbearance and goodwill.

They are both toxic though i dont doubt his brother will get another D1 job next year. Sean proved he could win granted with cheaters but that does not seem to matter. Plenty of cheaters get hired again. Archie is likely an assistant to him
Dont ever see archie getting a top level D1 job again. Archie probably should of held out for a job he may actually like.

Yes, I just feel terrible for him, his family, Coca Cola, and all the local tanning establishments in Athens
I always thought he probably sprays his coloring. He seems too hyper for a tanning booth. I don't think he could hold his tongue in that long. Have you ever known anybody with a sunburned tongue? They never seem to have much to say about it.

One of the truly great moments in tanning salon history was when I opened a door that was supposed to be locked, just as a naked coed was finishing her session. The last thing she remembered hearing was "Oops!". The last thing I remember thinking to myself was, "Thank you, Lord Jesus!"

If you went to games or bought apparel just think. If Tom goes out to dinner then perhaps he is using some of YOUR money. I get what you are saying. I used to think the same thing about the Kardashians and Hilton sisters. No talent but lots of cash. It doesn't seem quite fair.

• Wow
Reactions: birdforbogey

I agree with alot of this. I do think he is a phoney though. But I dont have any hatred towards him. Hope he does well in whatever he does next.

I agree with alot of this. I do think he is a phoney though. But I dont have any hatred towards him. Hope he does well in whatever he does next.

I don't think phoniness is a rare attribute in the coaching profession. Some are just better at pulling it off than others.

I never really had any personal gripes about Crean. He certainly has some weird quirks, mannerisms, etc. But I could deal with those all day every day if a coach could consistently put a high quality product on the floor. I mean, look at how much we put up with from Knight all those years.

You can be the greatest, most genuine guy in the world. You still gotta win in this profession.

Reactions: turney333 and kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT