ADVERTISEMENT

NFL and other sports

Thyrsis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Indianapolis
Yesterday both Derrick Henry and Tyquan Lewis probably ended their seasons. Not riffing on just these two, but the number of injuries strikes me as remarkable. It feels like the level of athleticism and training has outpaced the sports themselves?

Yesterday both Derrick Henry and Tyquan Lewis probably ended their seasons. Not riffing on just these two, but the number of injuries strikes me as remarkable. It feels like the level of athleticism and training has outpaced the sports themselves?
No just the athleticism but their sheer size and power. Pro football is a literal meat grinder for anybody inside the tackles at this point. Used to be linebackers and running backs were the highest paid on the field. Sure the game changed but now you just cannot invest money in a body that will be broken in 3 years.

Brutal.

Also, full disclosure - I have Henry on my fantasy team. Got dammit.

Last edited:
No just the athleticism but their sheer size and power. Pro football is a literal meat grinder for anybody inside the tackles at this point. Used to be linebackers and running backs were the highest paid on the field. Sure the game changed but now you just cannot invest money in a body that will be broken in 3 years.

Brutal.

Also, full disclosure - I have Henry on my fantasy team. Got dammit.
Yes to all that, but it's not even just the contact injuries. The number of non-contact injuries (or something close to it) seems crazy high too.

Brutal.

I don't know why anyone that can hit a curve would play football. Baseball is far less hard on the body, pays more to major leaguers, they have a longer career, and don't have CTE at near the rate (is Freel still the only known MLB player with it?).

The linebackers and backs today are the size of linemen back in the 60s/70s. And the linemen today are about as mobile as the linebackers back then. Alan Page was DL at 6'4 245, Calvin Johnson was a WR at 6'5, 240.

As Thyrsis notes, non-contact injuries seem up (but that of course might just be a perception). I just think that shows that football requires packing bodies with more muscle than the skeletons and ligaments can support.

I don't know why anyone that can hit a curve would play football. Baseball is far less hard on the body, pays more to major leaguers, they have a longer career, and don't have CTE at near the rate (is Freel still the only known MLB player with it?).

The linebackers and backs today are the size of linemen back in the 60s/70s. And the linemen today are about as mobile as the linebackers back then. Alan Page was DL at 6'4 245, Calvin Johnson was a WR at 6'5, 240.

As Thyrsis notes, non-contact injuries seem up (but that of course might just be a perception). I just think that shows that football requires packing bodies with more muscle than the skeletons and ligaments can support.
Yep not that many opportunities for concussions in baseball. Hit in the head with a pitch - Buster Posey Rule limited home plate collisions.

I've feared this with Henry for a while. His usage is just too much. As durable as he is, you keep giving him 30 touches a game and something is gonna break.

Reactions: outside shooter
Yes to all that, but it's not even just the contact injuries. The number of non-contact injuries (or something close to it) seems crazy high too.

I'm thinking it's gotta be the turf. I know it's different but I watch a ton of soccer, rugby even Aussie rule football and the non contact stuff just seems to occur at a much lower rate. I have no stats nor the time to look them up.

Combine the turf with the size and speed of these dudes and it's just too much for a knee or ankle to support.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I'm thinking it's gotta be the turf. I know it's different but I watch a ton of soccer, rugby even Aussie rule football and the non contact stuff just seems to occur at a much lower rate. I have no stats nor the time to look them up.

Combine the turf with the size and speed of these dudes and it's just too much for a knee or ankle to support.
Absolutely. Soccer you can count on one hand the number of clubs playing on turf. Turf's shit.

They were showing Tyron Smith (don't kill me I don't have his name exactly right) for the Cowboys on the sideline. 11 years in the league. At least 2x All Pro tackle. Dude's like 6'7" and 330. No gut. Literally looks like a gladiator but he's probably 8 inches taller and 100 lbs heavier than they ever were.

I fear football is going to die off over the next 20 years or so or become something unrecognizable. We stopped bare knuckle boxing (for the most part) b/c people were dying. Football is likely going to feel the same. The CTE outcomes are only going to get worse over the next 20 years as the 90's generation and beyond hit their 50's.

They were showing Tyron Smith (don't kill me I don't have his name exactly right) for the Cowboys on the sideline. 11 years in the league. At least 2x All Pro tackle. Dude's like 6'7" and 330. No gut. Literally looks like a gladiator but he's probably 8 inches taller and 100 lbs heavier than they ever were.

I fear football is going to die off over the next 20 years or so or become something unrecognizable. We stopped bare knuckle boxing (for the most part) b/c people were dying. Football is likely going to feel the same. The CTE outcomes are only going to get worse over the next 20 years as the 90's generation and beyond hit their 50's.
Yeah when that generation dies and they study their brains it's going to be ugly. Helmet advancements are helping some but they can't keep pace with the size and speed of the impacts and accelerations generated

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Yeah when that generation dies and they study their brains it's going to be ugly. Helmet advancements are helping some but they can't keep pace with the size and speed of the impacts and accelerations generated
Easy solution to much of the CTE problem. Outlaw helmets.
Discuss.

Alert for COH - I said CTE, not CRT.

Reactions: UncleMark
Easy solution to much of the CTE problem. Outlaw helmets.
Discuss.

Alert for COH - I said CTE, not CRT.
LOL. How much that would help I don't know. It would certainly require a change to the way tackling takes place. By way of comparison, rugby doesn't wear helmets. A few guys will wear the Canterbury soft helmets but most don't. The rate of concussions in rugby is higher than football. But again because one is wearing helmets and one isn't (other than a few soft), comparisons are hard to make.

LOL. How much that would help I don't know. It would certainly require a change to the way tackling takes place. By way of comparison, Rugby doesn't wear helmets. A few guys will wear the Canterbury soft helmets but most don't. The rate of concussions in rugby is higher than football. But again because one is wearing helmets and one isn't (other than a few soft), comparisons are hard to make.
I did not know about the rate of concussions in rugby. I just remember someone at a rugby match making the statement, and it kind of made sense. If there is no helmet, the head would not be used as a weapon. Of course, the other pads would cause a problem (shoulder pads, especially). I think the point he was making was what you said about the adjustment in the tackling/blocking technique to protect the head.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I did not know about the rate of concussions in rugby. I just remember someone at a rugby match making the statement, and it kind of made sense. If there is no helmet, the head would not be used as a weapon. Of course, the other pads would cause a problem (shoulder pads, especially). I think the point he was making was what you said about the adjustment in the tackling/blocking technique to protect the head.
The football helmet companies have come a long way with making better helmets, but there's only so much that can be done. They are still having trouble reducing the rotational forces that give rise to the worst concussions. The guys are just too big and too fast.

Actually, the modern trend for linebackers is speed over size. Colts all-pro Darius Leonard is 6’2” 230. Dick Butkus was 6’3” 245. Calvin Johnson was a freak of nature with WR speed in a TE body and a definite outlier. A lot of receivers are small. TY Hilton is 5’10” 180 and is one of the best. On the other hand, offensive lineman are 6’5” - 6’8” and 330-350. It’s the speed of the game more than anything that’s causing more injuries.

Well, with Henry gone in a twelve team league I pretty much just did.
This hit me right in the feels. My backup is already plugging the hole created by Carson, so now I'm hoping Murray comes back this week.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

This hit me right in the feels. My backup is already plugging the hole created by Carson, so now I'm hoping Murray comes back this week.

giphy-downsized-large.gif
I'm going to win this week. And be 2-6. F@#K fantasy football. Getting close to taking bribes for players on trade and checking to see if the commissioner is paying attention.

They are not sure concussions are the main problem. There is concern that thousands of subconcussive hits create all these tiny tears that cause the problem.

Yep. Like taking a hammer to a granite counter over and over. And that's actually where helmet advancements help most is with the subconcussive blows. You know after football is girls' soccer at the youth ages

In Henry's last 43 games 2019-present inc playoffs) hes touched the ball a staggering 1,064 times.

I sure hope he comes back from this 100% but there is no way in hell he (or anyone) can continue that kind of workload without consequences

In Henry's last 43 games 2019-present inc playoffs) hes touched the ball a staggering 1,064 times.

I sure hope he comes back from this 100% but there is no way in hell he (or anyone) can continue that kind of workload without consequences
He had more carries after the injury than the Colts backfield did for the entire game. Dude's an animal.

I gave up the NFL altogether about a decade ago. I watch the Super Bowl...I haven't missed it a bit.

I've been following a similar path with sports... first MLB, then NBA, then NFL. NHL I'd follow if I had more time, but really the playoffs is what counts.

College sports are not far off to be honest... all of these transfer rules, etc. are ruining it at making it very transactional, much like the rest of sports.

I've been following a similar path with sports... first MLB, then NBA, then NFL. NHL I'd follow if I had more time, but really the playoffs is what counts.

College sports are not far off to be honest... all of these transfer rules, etc. are ruining it at making it very transactional, much like the rest of sports.
Give in to soccer.....let it wash over you. Where's it's completely OK to spend as much money as you want. Rules....there are no rules.

Similar story here, in many ways. Gave up the NBA about 20 years ago. The NFL followed. I'm laser focused on my own MLB team and can hardly tell you anything about any other teams outside of their division.

I'm still pretty all-in on college football, but NIL, transfer portal and such are things that I think will impact my interest. I've watched less CBB in the past 3 years than ever before, but still watch a lot of B1G and almost all IU games.

I'm a soccer fan though....EPL/MLS (moderately), USMNT (hardcore), IU (hard-hardcore).

Soccer, where players collapse and beg to be shot because of the pain they are in one second, running the field like a gazelle the next.
Look, I'm not going to deny the theatrics but what would you do. Largest field in sports and they have one ref.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT