ADVERTISEMENT

NFL and other sports

Look, I'm not going to deny the theatrics but what would you do. Largest field in sports and they have one ref.
Yeah, I can be a big fan of the sport and bemoan aspects of it.....no sport is perfect, for sure.

But if people don't like soccer, it doesn't impact my ability to enjoy it. I stopped trying to talk people into liking it a long time ago. Not your cup of tea? ok. cool.

Reactions: larsIU
Yesterday both Derrick Henry and Tyquan Lewis probably ended their seasons. Not riffing on just these two, but the number of injuries strikes me as remarkable. It feels like the level of athleticism and training has outpaced the sports themselves?
Believe it or not, the average number of ACL and MCL tears in the NFL has dropped slightly over the past 6 years - especially MCL tears. Over the past 20 years, the number have been pretty constant.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Believe it or not, the average number of ACL and MCL tears in the NFL has dropped slightly over the past 6 years - especially MCL tears. Over the past 20 years, the number have been pretty constant.

Good info and not shooting at it at all, but I'm not sure it answers the question in my head. Maybe my perceptions are just wrong, but I'm not thinking just of concussions (which may have been partially addressed through helmet technology, etc.) or knee injuries. I'd be curious to hear about other injuries as well. I'd also be curious to hear about specific positions. It sure seems like QBs are more likely to be injured and miss games than 20-30 years ago. (Backup QB is now seemingly more important than last generation's clipboard holder). How many "non-contact" injuries have been suffered relative to a prior generation? My question isn't too precise at the moment, to be sure, but it sure seems like things are different than a generation ago and it doesn't seem like mere "nostalgia" or something. That absolutely could just be perception, but some basic (and albeit relatively quick) Googling hasn't helped get good information.

I don't know why anyone that can hit a curve would play football. Baseball is far less hard on the body, pays more to major leaguers, they have a longer career, and don't have CTE at near the rate (is Freel still the only known MLB player with it?).
And still there are players out there that couldn't walk around the block without getting injured. Some are constantly on the injured list. For example Luke Voit of the Yankees is on the IL constantly.

Good info and not shooting at it at all, but I'm not sure it answers the question in my head. Maybe my perceptions are just wrong, but I'm not thinking just of concussions (which may have been partially addressed through helmet technology, etc.) or knee injuries. I'd be curious to hear about other injuries as well. I'd also be curious to hear about specific positions. It sure seems like QBs are more likely to be injured and miss games than 20-30 years ago. (Backup QB is now seemingly more important than last generation's clipboard holder). How many "non-contact" injuries have been suffered relative to a prior generation? My question isn't too precise at the moment, to be sure, but it sure seems like things are different than a generation ago and it doesn't seem like mere "nostalgia" or something. That absolutely could just be perception, but some basic (and albeit relatively quick) Googling hasn't helped get good information.
I do think trainers/docs/coaches are far more cautious these days as well. No more "rub some dirt on it and get back in there" attitudes with this much money on the line.

But yes, it definitely feels like QBs and others miss far more time than they used to. Honestly the NFL should just expand the roster from the current 53 and quit screwing around with this "practice squad" nonsense. I'm sure the union would approve.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I do think trainers/docs/coaches are far more cautious these days as well. No more "rub some dirt on it and get back in there" attitudes with this much money on the line.

But yes, it definitely feels like QBs and others miss far more time than they used to. Honestly the NFL should just expand the roster from the current 53 and quit screwing around with this "practice squad" nonsense. I'm sure the union would approve.
Yes, think about concussions. It wasn't long ago people were said to have "their bell rung" and sent back out soon after. I suspect Henry's broken bone in the foot would have meant some orthotics and "play through the pain".

Yes, think about concussions. It wasn't long ago people were said to have "their bell rung" and sent back out soon after. I suspect Henry's broken bone in the foot would have meant some orthotics and "play through the pain".
Still did mean play through the pain. It happened in the 1st qtr and he kept playing.

I think a lot of the QB injuries are guys running and taking hits outside the pocket.

Or, "the shot". Which I still think they do quite a bit but not like the old days when Favre was getting hooked on painkillers just to get through the season.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
The NFL coughed up more than $900 million in concussion settlements. That gets attention in all sports. Hug a trial lawyer for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT