ADVERTISEMENT

Next year’s lineup??

bsmitty08

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2004
With the addition of Ware. What is everyone’s prediction what the lineup will be?

Pg- X
2- ???
3- Ledlow
4- MK
5- Ware

To me the biggest piece is adding a wing scorer. Galloway would be better as an energy guy off the bench.

With the addition of Ware. What is everyone’s prediction what the lineup will be?

Pg- X
2- ???
3- Ledlow
4- MK
5- Ware

To me the biggest piece is adding a wing scorer. Galloway would be better as an energy guy off the bench.
We need another guard. Also is Ledlow a true three or more of a four?

PG) XJ, Cupps
SG) Gunn, Newton, Leal
SF) Ledlum, Galloway
PF) Reneau, Banks
C) Ware, Sparks

Although I wouldn't be surprised if MK plays more inside and Ware plays more outside on offense. Could also move Reneau and Ledlum down to play some small ball.

I think we need a 3 and D wing and then BPA to fill out the rest of the roster.

Pg- X
2- ???
3- Ledlow
4- MK
5- Ware

I also like Trey off the bench as quick energy.
We do not yet have Ledlow, correct?
Can CJ start at guard?

Pg- X
2- ???
3- Ledlow
4- MK
5- Ware

If you're assuming Ludlow, might as well assume Knecht. And he solves your question.

Knecht doesn’t have a visit planned yet though
if he schedules an on-site visit after the zoom call, the hype will be huge. Getting him and Ware together will be the biggest portal get in all of college ball this year. Throw in the Harvard kid.

Still....filling TJD's shoes is gonna be tough regardless of who we rent for a year.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Even though we don’t know the full roster yet, I predict that Gallo starts at the 2. Woodson loves him.
He likes him because he plays hard, but ideally he’s not the best 2 guard. He started this season only because X went down and Woody loves him as an energy guy first off the bench.

Pg- X
2- ???
3- Ledlow
4- MK
5- Ware

who's mk?

PG) XJ, Cupps
SG) Gunn, Newton, Leal
SF) Ledlum, Galloway
PF) Reneau, Banks
C) Ware, Sparks

Although I wouldn't be surprised if MK plays more inside and Ware plays more outside on offense. Could also move Reneau and Ledlum down to play some small ball.

I think we need a 3 and D wing and then BPA to fill out the rest of the roster.
This seems plausible. I don't see CMW starting three "bigs"...I think he leans towards guard play.

Small sample size...but Banks could move to the SF...pushing Galloway into the 1/2

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
This seems plausible. I don't see CMW starting three "bigs"...I think he leans towards guard play.

Small sample size...but Banks could move to the SF...pushing Galloway into the 1/2
Unless Leal makes a mega leap...he's not going to be in any sort of "three deep" (to borrow a football analogy)...which would really demand that Galloway move into the 1/2 rotation (where he's been his entire IU career)...

Even though we don’t know the full roster yet, I predict that Gallo starts at the 2. Woodson loves him.
There is no way Galloway is not the starter at the 2 next season, I agree! Idk why so many of you are sleeping on him and want him off the bench. He will lead us in minutes next season I guarantee you that. Woody loves him and he plays hard. I have even heard that having Galloway is what is scaring Knecht away 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unless Leal makes a mega leap...he's not going to be in any sort of "three deep" (to borrow a football analogy)...which would really demand that Galloway move into the 1/2 rotation (where he's been his entire IU career)...
Leal will not play next year much at all and I doubt Gunn does either. The guys we will bring in from the portal are not going to be coming in to sit on the bench. The reality of the portal is most portal guys will player over guys who have been sitting on the bench.

There is no way Galloway is not the starter at the 2 next season, I agree! Idk why so many of you are sleeping on him and want him off the bench. He will lead us in minutes next season I guarantee you that. Woody loves him and he plays hard. I have even heard that having Galloway is what is scaring Knecht away 🤷🏻‍♂️
X will lead in minutes played ... if healthy all season. He's the only proven/experienced PG on the roster (as of now).

Galloway is a very good backup.

Galloway is a very good backup.

To whom? Get that player on the roster, and then discuss.

Still, this guy will have to be tremendous in order to put an upperclassman versatile player on the bench. Galloway shot 46% from three (64% overall), averaged less than one TO a game, played great defense, and even played out of position as the primary ball handler for most of last season when X went down. I mean, whoever puts galloway on the bench is going to be crazy good, and I sure hope IU gets that guy. If people are going to say Knecht, I‘ll suggest people temper their expectations. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I read that Knecht is coming with 9 ppg against junior college competition. Nobody should be blown away by that, and to the point, I don’t see Galloway getting bumped out of the starting lineup by those stats.

Still, this guy will have to be tremendous in order to put an upperclassman versatile player on the bench. Galloway shot 46% from three (64% overall), averaged less than one TO a game, played great defense, and even played out of position as the primary ball handler for most of last season when X went down. I mean, whoever puts galloway on the bench is going to be crazy good, and I sure hope IU gets that guy. If people are going to say Knecht, I‘ll suggest people temper their expectations. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I read that Knecht is coming with 9 ppg against junior college competition. Nobody should be blown away by that, and to the point, I don’t see Galloway getting bumped out of the starting lineup by those stats.
Knecht has some very good offensive efficiency numbers, especially in PnR situations, where he's in the 90th percentile. He is also in higher tiers in mid range pull up jumpers, finishes at the rim well and is a good 3pt shooter both off the catch and off the bounce. DK averaged 20.9 for N. Colorado in the Big Sky conference ..transferred from JC two years ago .. he's also fairly athletic.

There's a reason why he's highly valued ... triple threat scorer.

Galloway's efficiencies drop when he starts, he has long periods of doing nothing and was probably better off the bench .. where his energy gave IU a spark. ..

One thing Trey doesn't get credit for is his TO. He almost doubled his minutes but almost halved his TO ratio ... that's exceptional growth as a player.

But things change, players get better, and we don't have anyone that can put Trey back on the bench, yet .. and him being a returning starter is probably hurting us a bit finding better wings. We sorely need better wings.

Last edited:

Galloway's defense is overhyped. Against players with similar speed and quickness, yes, he's good. But when he's guarding a quicker player? Not so much.

Galloway's defense is overhyped. Against players with similar speed and quickness, yes, he's good. But when he's guarding a quicker player? Not so much.
That showed itself this year when X got hurt, and Trey was forced to guard more PGs. If X is healthy, Trey will slide back over to an off guard position, and he's good enough and athletic enough to guard most off guards we'll play against. And it'll also bring back some more of his defensive strengths, which is off the ball anticipation, trapping the post, and getting involved in rebounding. Those things were more difficult for him to contribute, when he was guarding the ball out top more.

Like many on here, I think we need to upgrade the "2" position versus the current roster candidates. But if we don't, Trey is solid. And we'll still have a more than adequate backcourt in a lot of ways.

Knecht has some very good offensive efficiency numbers, especially in PnR situations, where he's in the 90th percentile. He is also in higher tiers in mid range pull up jumpers, finishes at the rim well and is a good 3pt shooter both off the catch and off the bounce. DK averaged 20.9 for N. Colorado in the Big Sky conference ..transferred from JC two years ago .. he's also fairly athletic.

There's a reason why he's highly valued ... triple threat scorer.

Galloway's efficiencies drop when he starts, he has long periods of doing nothing and was probably better off the bench .. where his energy gave IU a spark. ..

One thing Trey doesn't get credit for is his TO. He almost doubled his minutes but almost halved his TO ratio ... that's exceptional growth as a player.

But things change, players get better, and we don't have anyone that can put Trey back on the bench, yet .. and him being a returning starter is probably hurting us a bit finding better wings. We sorely need better wings.

Thanks for the correction on Knecht. I googled and the first thing that came up was his (not so Gaudi) stats as a JC player. Reading comprehension is not my forte, and I missed the year for those stats.
The thing about Gallo is, he had to pivot to the PG position for a lot of the games last year. Not entire games, but often. (Of course, JHS was the primary ball handler facilitator.). So he’s guarding the other team’s point guards, and is playing with the threat of not getting into foul trouble, because there was no one behind him that could handle the ball. I’d say that’s some tight real estate for some one playing out of position. I think he did a remarkable job considering the circumstances, and his stats reflect that. I would expect freer more impactful play from Gallo next season, especially if he’s surrounded by some decent talent again.

Reactions: .Gerdis
and they are?
1a = Purdue
1b = Michigan St
3a = Maryland (if get Dickinson they move 1c)
3b = Ohio St
3c = Michigan
6a = Rutgers
6b = Northwestern
6c = Indiana (no shooters, one pg, 210 lb center) (need a lot more from portal)
6d = Nebraska
6e = Wisconsin (hardest team to figure out)

As of right now!

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT