ADVERTISEMENT

Next year’s lineup??

Not at all what you said in your post. There's two open perimeter positions (assuming you don't have TG starting). Woodson could still land a guard in the portal AND Galloway would still start. Woodson would need to fill BOTH perimeter opening with options BETTER than Galloway for Trey not to start.

Try again.
So I’m guessing you don’t think Ledlum is a done deal?

Gabe Cupps is a real point guard. He can shoot and score off the dribble and create his own shot. Need leaders coming off the bench also.
Well we can only hope but hard to rely on a 100 or so rated frosh coming in and supplanting a productive upperclassmen. Hopefully they land an experienced guard from the portal and allow Cupps to develop and earn his time.

Apparently IU has contacted Ellis from Louisville.

What about Nembhard from Creighton? Seem he'd be a logical recruiting candidate to play near his brother on the Pacers. Visiting Zona and the Zags?

Abmas is still out there. Texas?

Ware & Banks are big ?s. Galloway & Reneau are not stars. Johnson is a wild card. I wouldn't expect to be in the top 25 right now.
We'll see fairly quickly how difficult it is to replace TJD, who was the cornerstone of the program for 4 seasons. I don't see IU, regardless of which portal players Woody brings in, being anything better than a middle of the pack B1G team. Not a prediction or anything ... just tempering my own expectations.

Well we can only hope but hard to rely on a 100 or so rated frosh coming in and supplanting a productive upperclassmen. Hopefully they land an experienced guard from the portal and allow Cupps to develop and earn his time.

What about Nembhard from Creighton? Seem he'd be a logical recruiting candidate to play near his brother on the Pacers. Visiting Zona and the Zags?

I mean we have X too. X will likely play 32+ mpg at the point so only about 8 minutes at the point available. Cupps could likely handle that and if not Galloway has shown the ability for spot duty at the point. Plus Newton is a combo guard who handles the ball a ton in HS too. I guess my point is, unless we don’t think Cupps will be ready as a Sophomore, I don’t see a reason to go get another pg.

CBS Sports updates there top 25 almost every day after a commitment or player announcement, like yesterday when Duke star said he was coming back, they moved Duke into the preseason top 5. When Ware committed to IU, CBS updated their top 25, IU was nowhere to be found!
Woodson (IU) > Painter (PU)
Johnson (IU) > Smith (PU)
Galloway (IU) > Loyer (PU)
Banks (IU) = Morton (PU)
Reneau (IU) > Gillis (PU)
Ware (IU) = Furst (PU)

Galloway isn't a point guard. He isn't a volume shooter or a volume scorer. Staff is also kicking the tires on Cormac Ryan as a backup plan. Need 3 wings.

We'll see fairly quickly how difficult it is to replace TJD, who was the cornerstone of the program for 4 seasons. I don't see IU, regardless of which portal players Woody brings in, being anything better than a middle of the pack B1G team. Not a prediction or anything ... just tempering my own expectations.
We lost our whole starting lineup basically so anything above middle of the pack would be a massive success. Right now I see three starters in X, Malik, and Ware. Other than that who knows at this point but tempering expectations at least to start is probably wise.

As of today, assuming we don't sign anyone else that will be impactful. I'm sure that's not true, but as a baseline:

PG - XJ, Cupps
SG - Galloway, Gunn
SF - Banks, Newton
PF - Ware, Reneau
C - Reneau, Sparks

That team is bookended with All Big Ten level players in X and Malik. That lineup could potentially be VERY good defensively, especially on the perimeter with length and athleticism. Its not possible to replace what TJD gave us with one person. But I think if Woody does change up how we play, Malik can provide reliable post scoring. And we could actually be better 1-4, than we were last year.

Sparks contributions will be important.

Ware making the expected Sophomore improvements will be important.

And then 1 or more emerging to be a really good, versatile, 2 way wing player from Banks, Gunn, Newton.

I think the roster, as of today, would have a great chance to be an NCAA tournament team. And one that could do some damage if they're playing well at the end of the year.

Looking forward, anyone that Woody can sign yet, that is good enough to supplant any of the main rotation guys I have listed above, just makes the "at large NCAA team" prediction more and more certain. Especially if we can get a dynamic scoring wing.

I'm excited about next year's team already though, as is.

As of today, assuming we don't sign anyone else that will be impactful. I'm sure that's not true, but as a baseline:

PG - XJ, Cupps
SG - Galloway, Gunn
SF - Banks, Newton
PF - Ware, Reneau
C - Reneau, Sparks

That team is bookended with All Big Ten level players in X and Malik. That lineup could potentially be VERY good defensively, especially on the perimeter with length and athleticism. Its not possible to replace what TJD gave us with one person. But I think if Woody does change up how we play, Malik can provide reliable post scoring. And we could actually be better 1-4, than we were last year.

Sparks contributions will be important.

Ware making the expected Sophomore improvements will be important.

And then 1 or more emerging to be a really good, versatile, 2 way wing player from Banks, Gunn, Newton.

I think the roster, as of today, would have a great chance to be an NCAA tournament team. And one that could do some damage if they're playing well at the end of the year.

Looking forward, anyone that Woody can sign yet, that is good enough to supplant any of the main rotation guys I have listed above, just makes the "at large NCAA team" prediction more and more certain. Especially if we can get a dynamic scoring wing.

I'm excited about next year's team already though, as is.
Ware is the C and Reneau is the PF.

Ware is the C and Reneau is the PF.
Doesn't really matter...but I seriously doubt that's right.

I hope they both play a lot on the perimeter. But Malik will be more of an anchored post player than Ware will be.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out us having Malik and Payton, as good/solid post oriented bigs...was a big factor in Ware choosing IU. I'm sure he wants to play outside a fair bit.

Reactions: Beorik
Doesn't really matter...but I seriously doubt that's right.

I hope they both play a lot on the perimeter. But Malik will be more of an anchored post player than Ware will be.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out us having Malik and Payton, as good/solid post oriented bigs...was a big factor in Ware choosing IU. I'm sure he wants to play outside a fair bit.
I expect you are correct on offense. Ware will likely guard the opposing center on defense though to provide better rim protection.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT