ADVERTISEMENT

New York, California, Illinois lead the US states with shrinking populations.

DDE-6-20-23

Junior
Feb 15, 2024
Texas, Florida, North Carolina lead in gains. Meanwhile Indiana is 14th in rising population. Not surprising.

VORO_U.S.-States-by-Population-Decline_Website_07032024.jpg

Texas, Florida, North Carolina lead in gains. Meanwhile Indiana is 14th in rising population. Not surprising.

VORO_U.S.-States-by-Population-Decline_Website_07032024.jpg
Electing a gov from any of those states in the current environment would send the country right in the shitter. People leaving taxes, excess regs, looking for affordable housing, and running from WOKE and the mess it brings with homeless on the streets bail projects and the rest

While anybody leaving a state for some other destination is a potential problem for that state, the bigger issue is what that means in terms of their financial footprint.

Is it somebody who pays a lot of taxes and isn't a large consumer of social services? Because that person exiting a state would be bad for the state's economy and public finances. But if it's somebody who contributes little to the economy and consumes high amounts of social services, I'd think that a state would be grateful if that person became some other state's burden.

The IRS puts out annual data on the aggregate AGI of net domestic migration. I think CA had one year recently where they lost nearly $40B in AGI from net domestic migration. And that was just a single year.

Electing a gov from any of those states in the current environment would send the country right in the shitter. People leaving taxes, excess regs, looking for affordable housing, and running from WOKE and the mess it brings with homeless on the streets bail projects and the rest
I agree, but stress law and order. All those states have these ridiculous bond rules. I listened to a Rogan clip where he reflected on how LEFT he was until California lost their mind. It changed his thoughts. Hopefully people are starting to wake from the stupidity that is running these area's into the sh!tter.

I agree, but stress law and order. All those states have these ridiculous bond rules. I listened to a Rogan clip where he reflected on how LEFT he was until California lost their mind. It changed his thoughts. Hopefully people are starting to wake from the stupidity that is running these area's into the sh!tter.
They are on the crime front. But taxes, regs etc no. Calif starting reparations now

The IRS puts out annual data on the aggregate AGI of net domestic migration. I think CA had one year recently where they lost nearly $40B in AGI from net domestic migration. And that was just a single year.
The article states that between 2020 and 2021 100,000 Californians moved to Texas due to crime, schools, and jobs.

Reactions: 76-1
While anybody leaving a state for some other destination is a potential problem for that state, the bigger issue is what that means in terms of their financial footprint.

Is it somebody who pays a lot of taxes and isn't a large consumer of social services? Because that person exiting a state would be bad for the state's economy and public finances. But if it's somebody who contributes little to the economy and consumes high amounts of social services, I'd think that a state would be grateful if that person became some other state's burden.

The people living off of Medicaid, food stamps, Section8, etc absolutely never leave. It's the middle class taxpayers fleeing in droves. Dems did this.

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
The people living off of Medicaid, food stamps, Section8, etc absolutely never leave. It's the middle class taxpayers fleeing in droves. Dems did this.
Policies have consequences. This is actually the way our Founders envisioned states. Each state has to compete for residents. If a state messes up then because people have freedom they can leave. Wasn't it California who either was floating the idea of taxing people who leave or they have actually done it. That is unAmerican.

For Chicago I believe I saw data that a disproportionate # of those leaving are working class, black. So not, 1%'ers looking for a tax haven and also not people who are sucking up way more in social services than they pay int axes.

Honest, hard working people looking for a fair shake and safety.

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
The big problem these states have are the incredibly high taxes. To stop people from leaving and to encourage people to move in would require enormous tax cuts and also huge cuts to social services. But any politician who does the latter will be immediately voted out of office by the non-working Democrats who live off those services. So I'm not sure I see a solution.

The other big problem is the high crime but if you get tough on crime the blacks vote you out.

Reactions: jet812
For Chicago I believe I saw data that a disproportionate # of those leaving are working class, black. So not, 1%'ers looking for a tax haven and also not people who are sucking up way more in social services than they pay int axes.

So, for 2022, the IRS data shows that 157K tax returns (ie, the number of individuals represented by these returns is significantly higher) had out-migrated from Illinois to another state. These returns represent AGI of $19.4B (this is out-migration only...so it's not a net number...people moved into IL as well, of course).

The average AGI for all of these returns was 124K. The average AGI for the top destination state of FL was $231K. FL accounted for 17,728 tax filers and $4.1B in AGI.

One state (Wyoming) saw 191 returns move there -- representing AGI of $173M, for an average of $907K! I'm guessing a small number of very wealthy folks moved there.

Screenshot-2024-07-10-120242.png

Policies have consequences. This is actually the way our Founders envisioned states. Each state has to compete for residents. If a state messes up then because people have freedom they can leave. Wasn't it California who either was floating the idea of taxing people who leave or they have actually done it. That is unAmerican.
Yes it was California! I seem to remember something to do with something years ago, and I'm like I'll never move back there.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
So, for 2022, the IRS data shows that 157K tax returns (ie, the number of individuals represented by these returns is significantly higher) had out-migrated from Illinois to another state. These returns represent AGI of $19.4B (this is out-migration only...so it's not a net number...people moved into IL as well, of course).

The average AGI for all of these returns was 124K. The average AGI for the top destination state of FL was $231K. FL accounted for 17,728 tax filers and $4.1B in AGI.

One state (Wyoming) saw 191 returns move there -- representing AGI of $173M, for an average of $907K! I'm guessing a small number of very wealthy folks moved there.

Damn! That’s a lot of money headed Florida’s way.

Can you reference the link you got that data from? Just wanna read it. TIA

Yes, there was an Exit/Wealth tax proposed in California. But it didn't get anywhere. Newsom opposed it, for one thing.

Here's a Bloomberg article discussing it.

If high tax states continue bleeding taxpayers as much as they have been in recent years, they're going to have no choice but to either pursue taxes like this (which, of course, would likely exacerbate the taxpayer exodus) or otherwise pare back on social services.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
Do you post from a script or just copy and paste?

Altogether in TY 2022, FL took in 402K filers from other states who brought with them $62.7B in AGI. An average of $156K per filer.

Screenshot-2024-07-10-122912.png

BTW, for anybody curious....in the same tax year, FL lost 277K filers to other states, who took with them $26.6B in AGI. The net AGI gain for the state from domestic migration was $36.1B.

And keep in mind, this only represents one year. It's a cumulative thing (until they move away or die, of course). This issue is a huge deal and should get more attention than it does.

Yes, there was an Exit/Wealth tax proposed in California. But it didn't get anywhere. Newsom opposed it, for one thing.

Here's a Bloomberg article discussing it.

If high tax states continue bleeding taxpayers as much as they have been in recent years, they're going to have no choice but to either pursue taxes like this (which, of course, would likely exacerbate the taxpayer exodus) or otherwise pare back on social services.
Now this might get somewhere...... :)

With what is going on in Chicago, how insane is the mayor for talking about reparations? That would have to be the last straw for many Whites, Hispanics, and Asians.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT