ADVERTISEMENT

Need to step up NIL

You mean he lost ANOTHER kid to UConn. You act like this is the first recruit he's lost. Remember Liam or did you already forget? There's a long list of players he's lost just like you have a long list of excuses. Stop being an apologist for failure, it's an ugly look.
It is no failure and I am not making excuses. Kids no longer feel obligated to go to the state school. We want kids that want to come to Indiana. It is hard to turn down Indiana. Times have change. CMW worked hard to get him to come.

this is the sign of the times,no more loyalty to the state schools.
Got any data to support this? It sure looks like it always has -- state schools have a recruiting advantage with local players. And of course an advantage doesn't guarantee anything.

Reactions: YOTHN
A gorgeous campus, a solid fan base, some dusty tradition, way hotter co-Ed’s than all other state schools, and a better valued degree than some. 18 year old kids can hardly recall us in Sweet Sixteen, and well Woody hasn’t sniffed it either. I don’t begrudge kids heading to play for Hurley. He’s a great coach and we do not have one at present, either as he is too old to work hard or he just doesn’t have it in him. Next…..
The issue is UConn didn't have that advantage a couple years ago. Good coaching, scouting, recruiting is what got them there. So far, we are lacking somewhere, and we can go down that path trying to navigate what that is but it's not just one player going to UConn, it's a culmination of failure that keeps getting harder to overlook with each situation that occurs.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
Losing top recruits to UConn, Kansas and Duke stings, but who can blame those recruits based on recent history of program success. So, if Woody can’t beat ‘em….out pay them by a significant amount. Fingers crossed on Mullins but I wouldn’t bet on him being a Hoosier. Hope I’m wrong.

No.

You start upping the money to ungodly amounts for a kid, that totally resets the market and future kids will be expecting it.

These kids have agents. (Most) Agents have more then one kid they represent, so you overpay one kid and then you're screwed.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
It is no failure and I am not making excuses. Kids no longer feel obligated to go to the state school. We want kids that want to come to Indiana. It is hard to turn down Indiana. Times have change. CMW worked hard to get him to come.
Eh, I honestly couldn't care less about in-state kids. I know there's a large faction of people who do but primarily because the state has produced some really talented kids. I am talking about kids from anywhere. I could run down a list of failures from the last 2 years, where he has been able to get in early on kids to build relationships with and he hasn't been able to establish what's needed.

Again, all of this can be overlooked if the product on the court is good. Look no further than Purdue and their crappy recruiting yet success on the court. I don't care how my coach gets the success on the court, just that he gets it. The issue is there is failure under every rock we roll over. The only success seems to be the portal recruiting but even that turned into a mirage for us last season. Therefore, all of our chips are in on this current team and all we can do is hope it's also not just another mirage. If they are an Elite 8 team, by golly, then we have no reason to question this strategy if he can maintain it. But as of today, there are only questions and no answers, hence the fear.

Reactions: Willdog7
Keep telling yourself Woodson is a good coach if it wasn't for doners he would be putting a team with Ball State talent on the floor. He is a lazy ass recruiter who would rather golf and hang with Quinn and have them spend money on guys in the portal.
Your words are full of hatred, Why do you go on the Purdue board?
Eh, I honestly couldn't care less about in-state kids. I know there's a large faction of people who do but primarily because the state has produced some really talented kids. I am talking about kids from anywhere. I could run down a list of failures from the last 2 years, where he has been able to get in early on kids to build relationships with and he hasn't been able to establish what's needed.

Again, all of this can be overlooked if the product on the court is good. Look no further than Purdue and their crappy recruiting yet success on the court. I don't care how my coach gets the success on the court, just that he gets it. The issue is there is failure under every rock we roll over. The only success seems to be the portal recruiting but even that turned into a mirage for us last season. Therefore, all of our chips are in on this current team and all we can do is hope it's also not just another mirage. If they are an Elite 8 team, by golly, then we have no reason to question this strategy if he can maintain it. But as of today, there are only questions and no answers, hence the fear.
We are going to get it done this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT