ADVERTISEMENT

My stubbornness has lost out to my discomfort.

If I walked into an attorney's office an its 95 degrees then my first thought is he can't afford to pay for air conditioning.

That's impressive you held out this long...been on at my home for weeks. Can't sleep whatsoever when it's warm inside.

A/C officially on. I hope only for a couple of days.
I'll only use it for about 2 hours a day. Especially if we cook indoors. Since no one has been home, and the house closed up, it's still nice and cool from last night. It'll heat up soon. Already starting to and about 7:30 I'll turn the air on, til dark ..then its fans for the rest of the night. I have an old 70's metal window fan that I've rewired twice in an upstairs window sucking. It could power a boat. Then I have fans in the basement widows pushing. Hot air out, cool air in.

So maybe the solution is for you to stay in the office and do some work for your clients until at least 5.
Touche.

Actually, it was a short day today because I had little on the schedule that couldn't be pushed back to tomorrow, and I desperately needed to mow the lawn.

I'm genuinely surprised it's only 5:30 right now. Feels like much later.

I'll only use it for about 2 hours a day. Especially if we cook indoors. Since no one has been home, and the house closed up, it's still nice and cool from last night. It'll heat up soon. Already starting to and about 7:30 I'll turn the air on, til dark ..then its fans for the rest of the night. I have an old 70's metal window fan that I've rewired twice in an upstairs window sucking. It could power a boat. Then I have fans in the basement widows pushing. Hot air out, cool air in.
I do the window thing, too, but it somehow heated up to almost 80 inside, and the expected low tonight is almost 70. so fans aren't going to be good enough tonight.

No, that is the A/C in my Minnesota summer home (and camper). I don't dig sitting still and sweating - at all.
I just looked up the April almanac for you on WU, and the average high was like 60.

WTF is wrong with you?

I had a friend in middle school who literally broke a sweat just from breathing.

I just looked up the April almanac for you on WU, and the average high was like 60.

WTF is wrong with you?

I had a friend in middle school who literally broke a sweat just from breathing.
A couple of things to consider:

- I set the thermostat at 70 deg.
- All exterior walls in Minnesota homes are 2 x 6 construction (vs 2 x 4 construction in Indiana), which means homes have 50% more insulation so they retain heat, which is of utmost importance in the winter months when it is not unusual to see temps that drop to the -50 deg range (with windchill).
- That same heat retention will work in April when it's 60 deg so that the house will warm up on those days to anywhere from 72 - 75 deg.

And that's when the A/C kicks on.

WTF is wrong with me probably goes back to when I was a kid (8 years old or so) and our house in South Bend had central A/C - except in my room, which wasn't ducted because it was an attic bedroom. So my folks would kick on the A/C and tell me to shut my door so we wouldn't waste A/C (and dollars). And swelter away I would.

No flocking more - ovaltine doesn't tolerate sweat that isn't due to locomotion.

Cool story, huh?

Reactions: C-$

Ditto. I came home to a 79 Fahrenheit house today and homey don't play dat. I've used the A/C twice (maybe 3 times?) since last summer and those were only for a few hours (each) in the evening, about a month apart.
Sometimes that IPL bill is up to $125/130 but the last few months have been hovering in the upper-20s/lower-30s. It makes a difference on the wallet, but at what point do you weigh that against your comfort level?
I like to think of it as 'survival living' where you live outdoors or at least as close to as nature intended. It can be a lil miserable at times where I'm laying on top of my covers with no clothes on and the ceiling fan is on full blast, but then I remember how people live in the middle of the jungle in Guate' & Yuca' w/o any electricity or other luxuries we take for granted. Ya know, that ol' hippy/elitist internal struggle ya can't really win as a Caucasian male American. For others, it's a no-brainer. To each their own.

Ditto. I came home to a 79 Fahrenheit house today and homey don't play dat. I've used the A/C twice (maybe 3 times?) since last summer and those were only for a few hours (each) in the evening, about a month apart.
Sometimes that IPL bill is up to $125/130 but the last few months have been hovering in the upper-20s/lower-30s. It makes a difference on the wallet, but at what point do you weigh that against your comfort level?
I like to think of it as 'survival living' where you live outdoors or at least as close to as nature intended. It can be a lil miserable at times where I'm laying on top of my covers with no clothes on and the ceiling fan is on full blast, but then I remember how people live in the middle of the jungle in Guate' & Yuca' w/o any electricity or other luxuries we take for granted. Ya know, that ol' hippy/elitist internal struggle ya can't really win as a Caucasian male American. For others, it's a no-brainer. To each their own.
Thing is, I don't have gas. So our electric bills are higher in the winter. The thing about running the A/C isn't that it raises the bill as much as it cuts into our savings that I was already planning on, if that makes any kind of sense whatsoever.

Anyway, by way of example, the electric bill in January was $400. Last month it was less than half that. I like saving that $200 every month, and every time I turn on the A/C, I know I'm eating into it.

I only ran the A/C a total of about two weeks last year. I don't think I'll be as lucky this summer.

I woke up to a warm house this morning.

We might have to replace the unit.

Oy.

I can stand being hot during the day but at night when I'm trying to sleep? No.

68 all year long. Our A/C units don't know what it means to have a day off from say March till Maybe November or later.

Reactions: ovaltine
TLDR....except the part about you lying naked on top of your covers. Yum.

Reactions: MillerTime
I turned mine on last weekend. Holding out until the first week of June was pretty good I thought. I set it at 78 though, so does that even count? The ceiling fans in almost every room allow me to leave it at a pretty warm setting.

Ya'll are crazy. It's hot as hell here. I have my thermostat set on 71 (and have for weeks....except when we hit a little cold spell). I can't stand feeling "sticky" when doing light housework, let alone laying in bed. And yes...you know which kind of "sticky" I was referring to you filthy-minded bastages.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT