ADVERTISEMENT

You can't turn away from God and NOT expect to get shot, implies the Texas congressman.

UTFO

Hall of Famer
Feb 2, 2004
I bet some of those dead shoppers went to church too, Mr. Rep.

The whole "we deserve it" argument is psychopathic, straight up, and it shows the danger of mythical thinking couple w self-righteousness/stubbornness.

I get the feeling these Old Testament nuts love saying "I told you so" each time this happens, as if it's proof positive that Jesus died on the cross.

I guess you'd had to be an agnostic for decades and completely untethered to fanciful thinking to know what I'm saying.

Just because it makes you all warm and fuzzy and gives you comfort doesn't make it real....and it doesn't protect you from an AK.

The whole "we deserve it" argument is psychopathic, straight up, and it shows the danger of mythical thinking couple w self-righteousness/stubbornness.

I get the feeling these Old Testament nuts love saying "I told you so" each time this happens, as if it's proof positive that Jesus died on the cross.

I guess you'd had to be an agnostic for decades and completely untethered to fanciful thinking to know what I'm saying.

Just because it makes you all warm and fuzzy and gives you comfort doesn't make it real....and it doesn't protect you from an AK.
There’s no atheists in foxholes.

Reactions: Cthulhu85
Something tells me that Allen Texas is not exactly a diverse blend of religious viewpoints. It isn't cherrypicking to point out the disgusting words of the Texas Congressman. Sure, he doesn't represent all Christians... nobody does... but his views are hardly fringe. Though they SHOULD be.

Lol @ AK

Monotheism includes many more dieties than the Christian God. People have many reasons for believing in something.

But go ahead and be an asshole and cherrypick loudmouths to represent your idea of what Christianity is.

Point out where he said that nut represented Christianity as a whole.

Those nuts give normal Christians a bad name.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

There are most definitely people like this who will proclaim "I told you so" on any number of fronts. It's almost become part of the script now. A mass shooting happens and someone sticks a microphone in front of some idiot who blames mass shootings on anything but guns. "If only this fill-in-the-blank-thing wasn't prevalent in society, we wouldn't have this problem."

It's beyond ridiculous. It's almost like the basketball team from Noblesville HS getting waxed by the Pacers and people trying to explain that Noblesville could have won if they only prayed more or their dads worked harder with them.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
The post was a rant against a particular Texas Congressman and his ridiculous viewpoint, a viewpoint which you apparently support and defend.
No it wasn't.

"Just because it makes you all warm and fuzzy and gives you comfort doesn't make it real...."

That's a pretty broad statement.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Cthulhu85, Do you think that faith alone protects you from a gunman with an AR15? I don't, and so I think that aserting that it does is idiotic, which is the entire point of this thread: That congressman is an idiot.

I think the Gentleman from Texas should consider the possibility we're turned to the wrong God. Japan's homicide rate is like 30x smaller than ours. Is Shinto & Buddhism the way?

I would not equate his statement with “we deserve it”

Instead, it’s more like ”this is what you get when your society abandons God.”

Spent a year in Vietnam with the 101st Airborne Division. 1970 - 71.
Came close to shop a chaplain one day. We were out by the the Ho Chi Minh trail when a Huey came in. Out popped a chaplain and to us to go kill a commie. I started to raise my M 16. Caught myself and walked away.
Sure wasn’t what I needed to hear.

Ah.

I knew it -- he's a Republican:

I never bought into the Evangelical Protestant view of prayer that they tried to drum into me. If your sick loved-one is as Christian and as pure of heart as possible (think even more virtuous than Mother Theresa) and ends up in a hospital, the loved-one's pastor often requests the entire congregation to pray to God en masse to ask Him to help the doctors cure the loved-one.

Keep in mind that the Protestant view of God is all-knowing and all-powerful. But when it comes to these hospitalizations, the Protestant approach is to treat God as (1) being ignorant of the health problems of a virtuous Christian loved-one everybody else knows about, and (2) unwilling to help the sick loved-one unless lots of humans use prayer to talk Him into helping.

You can see some of this in Self's comments in the story I linked -- in the context of yet another mass shooting, Self said he believes "in an almighty god who is absolutely in control of our lives."

So, according to Self, God controls and directs all the mass shootings, so Self won't do anything more than pray about it. Looks like he doesn't want to meddle in God's plan.

The difference is that, when it comes to other social matters (like abortion, sex education and content of libraries), Republicans are more than willing to do more than pray vaguely -- as to these issues, Republicans take human action and pass laws. Except for guns -- Republicans worship guns.

Uh, I doubt there are many Old Testament references to Jesus dying on the cross, but maybe I misunderstood what you tried to say.

There are most definitely people like this who will proclaim "I told you so" on any number of fronts. It's almost become part of the script now. A mass shooting happens and someone sticks a microphone in front of some idiot who blames mass shootings on anything but guns. "If only this fill-in-the-blank-thing wasn't prevalent in society, we wouldn't have this problem."

It's beyond ridiculous. It's almost like the basketball team from Noblesville HS getting waxed by the Pacers and people trying to explain that Noblesville could have won if they only prayed more or their dads worked harder with them.
Everyone knows God favors Carmel, not Noblesville.

Link.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT