ADVERTISEMENT

My perspective (which is generally worthless)

Apr 12, 2022
This is my first year perusing these boards and posting on them... Very entertaining. Not sure which is more humorous.... those who get overly emotional after a loss and post that we'll never win another game again and that we're going to suck for decades... or those who I assume are compensating for their own inadequacies by belittling those who dare to say anything negative about the outcome of the game or the outlook of the team... My take on last night is what's been so inherently obvious since day one this season.... The only way we succeed and hope to go deep in the tourney is for TJD to be unstoppable game after game after game... Though by this point in the season one would have hoped we could survive a clunker like he had last night, the harsh reality is what we saw. We have pieces and parts that can complement well when TJD is "on", which he almost always is, but we don't have a singular person on this team who can be THE MAN when he isn't

I think this is overall fair. I know I way overestimated the talent level on this team.

Between the new additions along with Tamar and Geronimo coming off the bench, I was thinking we would be crazy deep, to the point of struggling to keep everyone happy.

Instead with X out we are struggling to find a 3rd and 4th consistent scorer, never mind a functioning bench.

Extremely disingenuous. Nothing of the kind has been "inherently obvious" since day one. Malik showed great promise early on, expectations were high for Jordan and Tamar, JHS showed enough to allow for the possibility of being somewhat phenomenal, and the Team was playing like a TEAM early on despite unforced errors and the like. Your effort to pass yourself off as some prescient all-seeing BB savant who claims to have seen this from the beginning is complete BS. It also overlooks/ignores the fact that IU has done what it has largely without it's PG, who in fact is someone who could stitch it all together and be 'The Man' as you say.

I tend to belittle those who post BS, be it positive, negative or neutral. This definitely qualifies, even if I agree with the title.

Last edited:
This team would be a lot different with X playing. Last night would have been a tough environment for just about any team to play in and get a win.

Extremely disingenuous. Nothing of the kind has been "inherently obvious" since day one. Malik showed great promise early on, expectations were high for Jordan and Tamar, JHS showed enough to allow for the possibility of being somewhat phenomenal, and the Team was playing like a TEAM early on despite unforced errors and the like. Your effort to pass yourself off as some prescient all-seeing BB savant who claims to have seen this from the beginning is complete BS. It also overlooks/ignores the fact that IU has done what it has largely without it's PG, who in fact is someone who could stitch it all together and be 'The Man' as you say.

I tend to belittle those who post BS, be it positive, negative or neutral. This definitely qualifies.
I tend to belittle you every time I see your name in a post.

Between the new additions along with Tamar and Geronimo coming off the bench, I was thinking we would be crazy deep, to the point of struggling to keep everyone happy.
many here including me are guilty of this sin. Last night brought our reality into terrible perspective. We have too many people on this squad all struggling at the same time to contribute at this level, especially in road games.

Losing X really hurt this squad in a game such as last night, but the lack of improvement, and reliable play from several of our subs, is hurting us in every single game.

We'll see what happens with Tamar for the remainder of the season. He came in briefly last night, looked lost yet again, went to the bench and did not return, even when CMW emptied the bench in the final 2 minutes. I sense there's a little more going on there.

Yes. Your recourse to substantive and/or reasoned repartee is altogether legendary. Still awaiting your first post exhibiting an original thought. Not holding my breath.
When you manage to say anything with out being a total a$$hole will be the first one but not holding my breath . You seem to have a distinct pattern of behavior. You get progressively nasty to every one. Get apparently warned and lay low for awhile and start the whole cycle over again. Maybe the light bulb will come on and you will see that you are the one with the problem at some point.

many here including me are guilty of this sin. Last night brought our reality into terrible perspective. We have too many people on this squad all struggling at the same time to contribute at this level, especially in road games.

Losing X really hurt this squad in a game such as last night, but the lack of improvement, and reliable play from several of our subs, is hurting us in every single game.

We'll see what happens with Tamar for the remainder of the season. He came in briefly last night, looked lost yet again, went to the bench and did not return, even when CMW emptied the bench in the final 2 minutes. I sense there's a little more going on there.
I think a healthy X would've (would) make a huge difference. For one, he's our 2nd most reliable scorer. He's generally not going to struggle to score and generally would manufacture 10 pts 1 way or another. Plus he's our best driver/creator from the perimeter and our best perimeter defender. He'd have made a huge difference last night on the kid that went off, imo. He's got the quicks that the rest of our defenders lack. Plus on O, he's generally going to occupy their best perimeter defender so it opens the door for other guys to score: JHS, Kopp but also Galloway and Bates.

I think our hope for any kind of tourney success (S16 or beyond) rests with getting XJ back and contributing positively in some fashion. If all our eggs are in TJD's basket, I just don't think he can carry us alone.

When you manage to say anything with out being a total a$$hole will be the first one but not holding my breath . You seem to have a distinct pattern of behavior. You get progressively nasty to every one. Get apparently warned and lay low for awhile and start the whole cycle over again. Maybe the light bulb will come on and you will see that you are the one with the problem at some point.
you gotta admit though, working "repartee" into discussion on this board is impressive verbosity. You don't see that around here often.

There are a few here who seem to revel in general nastiness. Makes me miss FPaugh, even Runnin Richie. At least they were occasionally fun to spar with. (crap, I left a dangling preposition at the end of that sentence. Shameful)

you gotta admit though, working "repartee" into discussion on this board is impressive verbosity. You don't see that around here often.

There are a few here who seem to revel in general nastiness. Makes me miss FPaugh, even Runnin Richie. At least they were occasionally fun to spar with.
since you like it so much: "The first partee was so fun, I vote we re-partee!" Enjoy.

Reactions: InvisibleHoosier

I tend to belittle those who post BS, be it positive, negative or neutral. This definitely qualifies, even if I agree with the title.
Many have been talking about how great we would be for 2 mos now if only XJ was playing.... Many have also forgotten how much XJ was struggling earlier this year. I certainly hope he can be the glue that pulls this together at the end, but I'm very much cautiously optimistic at best. It would have been better if I would have stated "from day one of playing actual competition" rather than the sisters of the poor... And we all know now that the UNC win doesn't really mean anything anymore).... so I would say starting with Rutgers it has become inherently obvious that if TJD doesn't absolutely dominate we struggle and usually lose. That better??

Thanks for pointing out deficiencies in coaching & player development. I agree…

• Haha
Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
Many have been talking about how great we would be for 2 mos now if only XJ was playing.... Many have also forgotten how much XJ was struggling earlier this year. I certainly hope he can be the glue that pulls this together at the end, but I'm very much cautiously optimistic at best. It would have been better if I would have stated "from day one of playing actual competition" rather than the sisters of the poor... And we all know now that the UNC win doesn't really mean anything anymore).... so I would say starting with Rutgers it has become inherently obvious that if TJD doesn't absolutely dominate we struggle and usually lose. That better??
Much better and very different. I would have opted for "increasingly' rather than "inherent" if only because earlier there was still some doubt as to whether and how much others could contribute. Hope and wishful thinking aside, that seems to be less a quandary than previously. Alas.

But I do see that I have a problem - I squander time responding to mental titans like yourself. My bad.

But I do see that I have a problem - I squander time responding to mental titans like yourself. My bad.
Funny thing about you is that you wouldn't say sh!t to anybody in person, whereas I would tell you exactly what a POS you are straight to your face. Why don't you go back to playing with your toys little boy.

There are a few here who seem to revel in general nastiness. Makes me miss FPaugh, even Runnin Richie. At least they were occasionally fun to spar with. (crap, I left a dangling preposition at the end of that sentence. Shameful)
FPaugh, we all know, but who the hell was Runnin Ritchie?

This is my first year perusing these boards and posting on them... Very entertaining. Not sure which is more humorous.... those who get overly emotional after a loss and post that we'll never win another game again and that we're going to suck for decades... or those who I assume are compensating for their own inadequacies by belittling those who dare to say anything negative about the outcome of the game or the outlook of the team... My take on last night is what's been so inherently obvious since day one this season.... The only way we succeed and hope to go deep in the tourney is for TJD to be unstoppable game after game after game... Though by this point in the season one would have hoped we could survive a clunker like he had last night, the harsh reality is what we saw. We have pieces and parts that can complement well when TJD is "on", which he almost always is, but we don't have a singular person on this team who can be THE MAN when he isn't
I don't think we need him to be Super Trayce every game. Our best still comes when the entire team is defending well, and getting out in transition. TJD benefits from that as well, and often contributes with dunks, rebounds, lots of points, etc...

But when we 1) defend at a high level 2)move ALL players, including TJD around the floor a lot offensively...we're a top 10 level team, that could win a national title.

Playing that way virtually assures that TJD will have a good game.

When we don't play that way, which is too common, in my opinoin...but certainly not every game...THEN we do rely on him to be Super Trayce. And in order for us to win 4-6 games in a row in the NCAA's, against the different styles, and the level of teams we'd have to play...if our history repeats itself...we'll need AT LEAST 1 Super Trayce game. We'll have at least 1 game where our defense isn't as good, we stand around too much on offense, we lack the energy, etc...

Funny thing about you is that you wouldn't say sh!t to anybody in person, whereas I would tell you exactly what a POS you are straight to your face. Why don't you go back to playing with your toys little boy.
Mostly all you ever say is shit, so can't see as it would make any difference. I've made a career out of telling people they're FOS, all of them doubtless smarter than thee. Corporations and governments as well. You should be flattered I even respond to you, but s'alright, no need to thank me. 🍏

I’ll agree TJD is the basketball version of a football bell cow running back.
His stat line was just about his season average in 35 minutes played.
IU needed to set him up for more and didn’t get it done.

Interesting, but I disagree. You call out those who have ridiculous takes of negativity, and from what I see those being called out for negativity are typically the ones who consistently have ridiculous takes.

Sure, there are times when somebody goes overboard, but what do you expect on a free message board? Also plenty of times anybody who doesn’t call for immediate firing of the current coach due to a slide is mocked as a sunshine pumper with crimson glasses.

Regarding support for TJD, we have enough talent where typically a couple other players step up. But we do rely heavily on TJD, which makes sense considering his ability. Having X would have been a big boost IMO in so many situations, but next man up. A couple players didn’t pan out like many hoped. I’d say Bates & JG mainly, but I also hoped MR would be a little better by now especially from a consistency perspective. He shows a lot of flashes, but it isn’t easy being a big man in the B1G. I think with an off-season of weight training and development, we will see a good jump with him. But the surrounding cast needs to play better if we want to make any kind of run in the tourney. TJD can’t do it all himself…

Reactions: kkott and T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT