ADVERTISEMENT

Mrs. Clinton on NPR.

Luckily for me, I don't base my self-worth/self-esteem on whether a bunch of guys on a message board respect me or not.......

It would obviously crush you.

Sad.
Uh huh. What a logical person would notice is that no one agrees with you. A logical person would deduce that you are not respected by anyone.

So she believes that fake Facebook posts from Russia lead to her defeat. I don't buy that.
You know it's nonsense that people pick out one thing she says and says that is what she thinks led to her defeat. There were many things and in her book, she takes responsibility for many of them. When you are talking about 70,000 people changing the election, you could probably list 100 different things that could have swayed that many people and be correct. And the fake memes about her on Facebook were rampant, and people believed them. It obviously was a factor.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
no doubt the fact that she and Bill collected a cool 22 mil in speaking fees from Goldman Sachs and the other moneyed interests, (they're obviously just very good speakers, and no way could that ever be seen by anyone as bribes or payoffs), or the fact that she is openly a free trading neocon, or the fact that blacks rioting in the streets was the visual for so much of that summer and fall, (always a great selling point for Dems with swing voters), with bathroom choice for transsexuals as the big closing selling point for Dems in the final days, had absolutely nothing to do with it.
Name a politician that doesn't take huge speaking fees? Neocon? Lol. Rioting in the streets ...not sure what that has to do with anything. Not sure that I recall Hillary mentioning the bathroom choice, but I'm not going to be mad because she's not a bigot.

Back to the point. Russia has always tried to influence democratic elections. Nothing new. Israel has been a large influence in American elections for years.
They've always tried , probably. But we've never had proof. How has Israel been an influence?

You know it's nonsense that people pick out one thing she says and says that is what she thinks led to her defeat. There were many things and in her book, she takes responsibility for many of them. When you are talking about 70,000 people changing the election, you could probably list 100 different things that could have swayed that many people and be correct. And the fake memes about her on Facebook were rampant, and people believed them. It obviously was a factor.
I am not the one pushing this narrative.

They've always tried , probably. But we've never had proof. How has Israel been an influence?

Zeke, look at what's happening in New York right now. It's the United States of Israel. Why exactly is a county of 330 million people taking marching orders from a country of 9 million?

Zeke, look at what's happening in New York right now. It's the United States of Israel. Why exactly is a county of 330 million people taking marching orders from a country of 9 million?
What's happening in NY? I guess I don't know this story.

The vast majority of people are certified retards.

Not only would they flunk a 3rd grade history test, but over 40% of the country thinks the earth is 6,000 years old.

I have a son with some developmental disabilities and Noodle has a son with Down Syndrome....prefer you use a different term.

And I get it, I used that word pretty freely in my youth too and it does slip out sometimes. On a message board you should be able to self edit though.

Rush and Sean (and Fox) are why there are so few swing voters anymore.

Aren't there more self-identified independents than ever?

I have always felt RWR is almost exclusively singing to the choir. Don't think they are really influencing too many undecideds. Could be wrong.

I have a son with some developmental disabilities and Noodle has a son with Down Syndrome....prefer you use a different term.

And I get it, I used that word pretty freely in my youth too and it does slip out sometimes. On a message board you should be able to self edit though.

I presume you are strongly in favor of universal healthcare and strong public schools?

There's a place that boards horses that "have no intrinsic value" called Old Friends. tleThis was set up after a Derby winner was sold for meat in Japan.

We visited once. There was a shelf of partial Woodford Reserve bottles. Every year WR bottles one bottle. The bugler from Keeneland blows taps to honor all of the horses that died that year. Everyone takes a drink and the bottle is sealed never to be opened again.

Some of the histories of these new bourbons are very interesting, by the way. Woodford Reserve is very interesting.[/QUOTE]

I presume you are strongly in favor of universal healthcare and strong public schools?

Not 100% sold on the first, devil in the details. On the second yes. I have voted to raise my own property taxes in several instances to help out with school projects.

That being said, I also believe in the accountability of those running the schools. Teachers catch a lot of flack from the right but I think one big expense that gets overlooked is the explosion in "administrative" positions that have come about starting when I was in school. I can go back to my elementary yearbook and the staff that we had in the school that was not directly involved in teaching a class was minimal. I look at my children's yearbook and they have administrative staff for everything....

So yes, I support good public education run by well compensated and competent teachers. You and I may differ on what falls into those categories though.

A million things led to her defeat, including, as some Democrats like I and Rock have repeatedly pointed out, the fact that she's a terrible politician.

However...

Don't sleep on the power of fake news propagated by social media. It's probably a lot more powerful than we are comfortable giving it credit for. This is a legitimate problem. And most of us like to think we are immune, but we probably are not. To summarize something I said in another venue, I'm fairly certain (now; I wasn't then) that some of the people and groups I interacted with in the Bernie movement online were fakes. They were overly concerned with convincing liberals not to vote for Hillary. And I was arrogant enough to proclaim my immunity by pointing out that, when push came to shove, I still voted for her.

But the fact that it didn't work in this election doesn't mean that it couldn't work. The fact of the matter is, we are all much more easily persuaded than we'd like to think. That's why advertising exists. Most of us pretend we are the exception that isn't tricked into changing our behavior at the behest of a TV ad, but companies wouldn't spend $200B in advertising in America each year if it didn't work.

The science of how to convince you to behave a certain way against your own preferences is far more developed than you'd like to know. No matter how stubborn and independent you think you are, there are probably dozens of times each day when your behavior is modified by media you've consumed without your realization.

Fake news on social media is going to continue to be a powerful tool for influencing voter behavior moving forward, and laughing it off is not the way to address it.

Kahneman included a study where random letters were put in the school newspaper. There was no explanation for the letters appearing in the paper. Different letters were printed with different frequencies.

After a couple of months a survey was performed. The letters that were show more frequently was performed. The letters that were shown more often were the ones that people remembered.

Not asking for the specific details. Simply asking if you support in principle, the right to healthcare for all?

Limited universal coverage such as catastrophic for all, yes, I figure we are going that way anyways. I am not for letting people die in the streets but I am also not really fully on board with how our cousins in Europe do it either. I prefer other options for pulling down the cost curve on more routine care.

My parents moved the other day and in the process they came across their hospital bill for my birth. It was $500. My children, all normal vaginal births (no c section) with zero to limited complications were around $10,000. I am 38 years old. That is, what, a 2000% increase in one generations time. My opinion is that coverage is not the real problem, it is cost. I have not done the math but I do not think $500 in 1978 dollars equates to $10,000 in 2017 dollars. I think that is the main problem.

Last edited:
Limited universal coverage such as catastrophic for all, yes, I figure we are going that way anyways. I am not for letting people die in the streets but I am also not really fully on board with how our cousins in Europe do it either. I prefer other options for pulling down the cost curve on more routine care.

So what happens to those with developmental disabilities whose parents can't afford to pay for their care? Just say too bad?

My parents moved the other day and in the process they came across their hospital bill for my birth. It was $500. My children, all normal vaginal births (no c section) with zero to limited complications were around $10,000. I am 38 years old. That is, what, a 2000% increase in one generations time. My opinion is that coverage is not the real problem, it is cost. I have not done the math but I do not think $500 in 1978 dollars equates to $10,000 in 2017 dollars. I think that is the main problem.

That's called large private business. They aren't their to serve the public equitably. That's why strong government regulation is severely needed.

So what happens to those with developmental disabilities whose parents can't afford to pay for their care? Just say too bad?

The same thing as now. They are taken care of by the state. I have a cousin with cerebral palsy, she has never been able to and will never be able to take care of herself. She is 22 and just now moved into a group home. She is not the type of person that is being debated about with Universal Coverage. She already gets the coverage.

(My son does not fall in that category. He will have a rough go of things but he will be able to be self sufficient.)

The same thing as now. They are taken care of by the state. I have a cousin with cerebral palsy, she has never been able to and will never be able to take care of herself. She is 22 and just now moved into a group home. She is not the type of person that is being debated about with Universal Coverage. She already gets the coverage.

You don't see the irony in conservatives railing for small government? That example is as big a safety net as any.

You don't see the irony in conservatives railing for small government? That example is as big a safety net as any.

Your problem is that you have a caricature of what you think a conservative should think and you are trying to put me in that box. You can make economically conservative arguments for more universal coverage.

I do not believe in no government. I believe in having the smallest government as is possible to do a job effectively (where it is needed).

Here is another crazy one, I support a social safety net. It is the degree of support that usually separates me from Democrats. Anyone can fall on hard times and need a hand up. I am happy to provide that. But I believe it should be a hand up, not a permanent hand out, if you are able bodied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
A lot of things happened in enough numbers to turn the election. I think the defection of rust belt blue collar whites was more important. Apparently you think blacks were more important. Potato, potahto.
They defected because Obama didn't see a need for them. Then obviously the whole party went after him and thought they could win by class/gender/race warfare politics.

Oh oh.

Certain people are going to start screaming you're a "Jew-Hater!!!" now.

Aren't there more self-identified independents than ever?

I have always felt RWR is almost exclusively singing to the choir. Don't think they are really influencing too many undecideds. Could be wrong.

The Indies don't have to listen to Rush/Hannity to be influenced by them.

Most people know next to nothing about the issues and get the majority of their "facts" from TV commercials.

They also hear people talking.....so if a couple of Rush fans are going on and on and on about his talking points, and Indies over-hear them, they may take it as fact without researching it.

Limited universal coverage such as catastrophic for all, yes, I figure we are going that way anyways. I am not for letting people die in the streets but I am also not really fully on board with how our cousins in Europe do it either. I prefer other options for pulling down the cost curve on more routine care..

Doesn't it make sense to provide preventive care to people to avoid the costly surgeries?

People change the oil in their cars so they don't have to replace the engines.

Doesn't it make sense to provide preventive care to people to avoid the costly surgeries?

People change the oil in their cars so they don't have to replace the engines.

Do you buy insurance to pay for the oil changes or do you buy insurance to cover catastrophic wrecks?

You would have to bend the cost curve down but I think that even at $100 for a preventative visit, most people should be able to afford that (and honestly based on what doctors usually receive between copays and the negotiated rate, I think that figure is even a little high).

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
You would have to bend the cost curve down but I think that even at $100 for a preventative visit, most people should be able to afford that .

At minimum wage? Hardly.

It always cracks me up when Righties want to pay people slave wages and then turn around and cry their eyes out how those people are "moochers" and "not paying their fair share" when it comes to taxes and such.

At minimum wage? Hardly.

It always cracks me up when Righties want to pay people slave wages and then turn around and cry their eyes out how those people are "moochers" and "not paying their fair share" when it comes to taxes and such.

I believe the minimum wage should be permanently tied to what it was when LBJ instituted it (roughly $10.10 in today's dollars) and then tied to inflation so it can be planned for. At $10.10 an hour, living with roommates or having a spouse, you can afford that. It is all a matter of priorities in spending. Additionally, I do not think minimum wage should be a career choice.

Tell me what "righties" think again please. Look Goat and Bing are lefties who are more pro gun than a stereotypical left leaner and there views are fine because most of us have a scale that leads us to vote one way or the other. The Democrats stand on guns is not enough to cause them to vote differently. You and toasted both assume to know what my views are on any topic because "righty".

My parents moved the other day and in the process they came across their hospital bill for my birth. It was $500. My children, all normal vaginal births (no c section) with zero to limited complications were around $10,000.

healthcare meets capitalism.

Tell me what "righties" think again please. .

You're kidding, right?

Faux and the RNC and Rush have a meltdown over the "moochers not paying their fair share" because they don't pay federal taxes.

Heck, lots of the working poor have 2 or 3 jobs and STILL need food stamps and go to the emergency room for basic care.....and the Right calls THEM moochers too.

The ironic thing is, it's actually their employers that are the moochers. They pay next to nothing so the taxpayers have to make up the difference.

you mean our European cousins who get both universal and better healthcare, for half the cost.

so exactly what is it about expanding the pool to include everyone, and getting better results for far less money, that you don't like as well, so aren't fully on board with???

as for pulling down the cost curve, while most, (other than the healthcare/pharma moneyed interests) agree with that need, many still seem clueless to the reality that there is one, and only one, way to contain said runaway costs, and that is a single negotiator system. (if you think there are other ways, you're wrong. there aren't any other ways period).

i say "single negotiator" rather than "single payer", because it's the single negotiator part that enables you to keep costs in check, not the single payer part.

imo you could optimize your cost reduction just the same with the same number of payers/insurers we have now, or even twice as many if you wish, just by implementing single negotiator.

everyone wants to claim that we can't get to single payer from where we are now, because reality is, logistically and politically we pretty much can't.

but we can logistically and politically make the transition to "single negotiator" almost overnight, because with single negotiator rather than single payer, we can keep everything, (employer plans and individual plans), just as they are now, except everything would be much cheaper for everyone. (including out of pocket payers).

everyone with employer plans can keep them. everyone with private plans can keep them.

and they all keep them for much less than they're paying now.

once we implement single negotiator and contain costs down to rational, we can then transition to universal coverage 100 times more easily than we can from where we are now.

we can logistically and politically get where we need to go, we just need to do it in two steps rather than one.

You're kidding, right?

Faux and the RNC and Rush have a meltdown over the "moochers not paying their fair share" because they don't pay federal taxes.

Heck, lots of the working poor have 2 or 3 jobs and STILL need food stamps and go to the emergency room for basic care.....and the Right calls THEM moochers too.

The ironic thing is, it's actually their employers that are the moochers. They pay next to nothing so the taxpayers have to make up the difference.

Just checked in the mirror and I am not Rush Limbaugh or any of the media personalities on Fox News. You are talking to me, not them.

I have a Masters degree and work 2 jobs. I know that lifestyle, I work with the people you mention in one of my two jobs (the retail one). A little over 3 years ago I fell on hard times and was eligible and received the EITC. In my other job I work for the Federal Government. I do not hate the government, I am an employee of it. I do not think all those people are moochers, if they were, so was I at one point. Again, you presume to know things about me based on your own prejudices about what someone who leans conservative should be. Try broadening your horizons a bit.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT