ADVERTISEMENT

Mrs. Clinton on NPR.

So she believes that fake Facebook posts from Russia lead to her defeat. I don't buy that.
A million things led to her defeat, including, as some Democrats like I and Rock have repeatedly pointed out, the fact that she's a terrible politician.

However...

Don't sleep on the power of fake news propagated by social media. It's probably a lot more powerful than we are comfortable giving it credit for. This is a legitimate problem. And most of us like to think we are immune, but we probably are not. To summarize something I said in another venue, I'm fairly certain (now; I wasn't then) that some of the people and groups I interacted with in the Bernie movement online were fakes. They were overly concerned with convincing liberals not to vote for Hillary. And I was arrogant enough to proclaim my immunity by pointing out that, when push came to shove, I still voted for her.

But the fact that it didn't work in this election doesn't mean that it couldn't work. The fact of the matter is, we are all much more easily persuaded than we'd like to think. That's why advertising exists. Most of us pretend we are the exception that isn't tricked into changing our behavior at the behest of a TV ad, but companies wouldn't spend $200B in advertising in America each year if it didn't work.

The science of how to convince you to behave a certain way against your own preferences is far more developed than you'd like to know. No matter how stubborn and independent you think you are, there are probably dozens of times each day when your behavior is modified by media you've consumed without your realization.

Fake news on social media is going to continue to be a powerful tool for influencing voter behavior moving forward, and laughing it off is not the way to address it.

So she believes that fake Facebook posts from Russia lead to her defeat. I don't buy that.
This is not the way to look at it. Many smart people I know are often repeating this and I can't help but shake my head.

If anybody believes that Russia handed Trump this election, I'd say that's unlikely. If anybody thinks that it didn't move the needle at all...I'd also say that's unlikely while recognizing that proof is required for such. In reality, it likely had some influence on swing voters in key states. To think it did not is pure cognitive dissonance.

People want to find simple answers to complex questions. That's not how life works. In my heart of hearts I know that Fake News helped contribute to HRC's defeat. How much is the only salient question.

Fake News via social media may have nudged the needle, but Fake News via Fox TV and Rush and Sean radio moved it.

Reactions: largemouth
A million things led to her defeat, including, as some Democrats like I and Rock have repeatedly pointed out, the fact that she's a terrible politician.

However...

Don't sleep on the power of fake news propagated by social media. It's probably a lot more powerful than we are comfortable giving it credit for. This is a legitimate problem. And most of us like to think we are immune, but we probably are not. To summarize something I said in another venue, I'm fairly certain (now; I wasn't then) that some of the people and groups I interacted with in the Bernie movement online were fakes. They were overly concerned with convincing liberals not to vote for Hillary. And I was arrogant enough to proclaim my immunity by pointing out that, when push came to shove, I still voted for her.

But the fact that it didn't work in this election doesn't mean that it couldn't work. The fact of the matter is, we are all much more easily persuaded than we'd like to think. That's why advertising exists. Most of us pretend we are the exception that isn't tricked into changing our behavior at the behest of a TV ad, but companies wouldn't spend $200B in advertising in America each year if it didn't work.

The science of how to convince you to behave a certain way against your own preferences is far more developed than you'd like to know. No matter how stubborn and independent you think you are, there are probably dozens of times each day when your behavior is modified by media you've consumed without your realization.

Fake news on social media is going to continue to be a powerful tool for influencing voter behavior moving forward, and laughing it off is not the way to address it.
You may not be a immune but I am. I took LSD and am not easily mislead. The majority is a different story.

However...

there's a reason the sock puppets are here and everywhere else.

but then no doubt you and the other usual suspects here wouldn't know anything about that.

Last edited:
Bourbon or not blacks stayed home in enough numbers to turn the election. The had truth is they don't like white folks.
A lot of things happened in enough numbers to turn the election. I think the defection of rust belt blue collar whites was more important. Apparently you think blacks were more important. Potato, potahto.

A lot of things happened in enough numbers to turn the election. I think the defection of rust belt blue collar whites was more important. Apparently you think blacks were more important. Potato, potahto.
So you have lost labor. Don't blame me. The Truth is if blacks would have supported Hillary in key counties she would of won.

You calling me a racist?
middle_finger_salute_retro_postcard-rb9b4162638de46008f79605de2e72d89_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

no doubt the fact that she and Bill collected a cool 22 mil in speaking fees from Goldman Sachs and the other moneyed interests, (they're obviously just very good speakers, and no way could that ever be seen by anyone as bribes or payoffs), or the fact that she is openly a free trading neocon, or the fact that blacks rioting in the streets was the visual for so much of that summer and fall, (always a great selling point for Dems with swing voters), with bathroom choice for transsexuals as the big closing selling point for Dems in the final days, had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Woodford Reserve? A friend bought me a bottle of that stuff fairly recently, and it's good stuff. Kentucky does a few things very well. Making good whiskey is one.
Boozejack-

Kentucky bourbon is overrated. There are some very good offerings, but most of it is too sickly sweet. Switch to rye. You'll thank me later.

Are these kids on this board really college graduates? The words and language used on this board, especially in this thread, don't reflect that. If not, IU has come down in quality quite a bit since I left.
Good Lord! :(:rolleyes:

Reactions: MrBing
Woodford makes a rye. I do like it better than their bourbon.
Besides being less sweet, it's also more versatile in cocktails. A proper rye-based Manhattan is a revelation.

And, of course, once you get into the habit of ordering sazeracs (assuming you can find a bar that does it right), you'll never order anything else.

Reactions: Morrison
Are these kids on this board really college graduates? The words and language used on this board, especially in this thread, don't reflect that. If not, IU has come down in quality quite a bit since I left.
Good Lord! :(:rolleyes:
Well us Wesleyan guys are a little uncivilized.

Boozejack-

Kentucky bourbon is overrated. There are some very good offerings, but most of it is too sickly sweet. Switch to rye. You'll thank me later.
Rye is the way to go. I also think bourbon is too sweet. Some of the histories of these new bourbons are very interesting, by the way. Woodford Reserve is very interesting.

Rye is the way to go. I also think bourbon is too sweet. Some of the histories of these new bourbons are very interesting, by the way. Woodford Reserve is very interesting.
Even the best bourbon has that undertone of...well...hot and sweet...tastes like vomit, I don't know how else to put it.

But rye has that spicy, non-sickly flavor. Just a better way of doing booze, all-around.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT