ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Here's an interesting and related game: share your shopping list. Not your real one, but what Google and/or Bing are pelting you with on their front pages. Here's what Microsoft thinks I should want to buy:

The First World War: A Complete History by Martin Gilbert
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
The Illiad and The Odyssey by Homer
Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games by Laszlo Polgar

Man, even the AI knows I'm a nerd.

Where are you looking? Both for me have stories that would interest me. If I go to shopping on Google, it gives me categories of interest, hot sauces, mattresses, and games. All categories I have googled fairly recently.

Where are you looking? Both for me have stories that would interest me. If I go to shopping on Google, it gives me categories of interest, hot sauces, mattresses, and games. All categories I have googled fairly recently.
On the Edge home page, there's a little ad window to the right of the top stories, and if you scroll down, there's a long line of links "inspired by your shopping interests."

Current read:

I had forgotten all about this book, after I put a hold in months ago. It finally popped for me this week, and I'm about a third of the way through, and it is great. Everyone in my Family has Killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson. It portrays itself as a self-aware send-up of classic mystery novel cliches, but at the same time, the narrator is clearly engaged in solving a very classic mystery. Full of cliche.

Reactions: larsIU and zeke4ahs
Anyone read Barbara Kingsolver? She’s one of my favorite authors, Poisonwood Bible one of my favorite books. I’m reading her latest, Demon Copperhead, about a boy growing up in Appalachia. Fashioned after David Copperfield. I’m more than halfway through and a five star for me.

Current read:

I had forgotten all about this book, after I put a hold in months ago. It finally popped for me this week, and I'm about a third of the way through, and it is great. Everyone in my Family has Killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson. It portrays itself as a self-aware send-up of classic mystery novel cliches, but at the same time, the narrator is clearly engaged in solving a very classic mystery. Full of cliche.
Update: finished it. Great little mystery. @Marvin the Martian I think you'd like this one. Remember Redshirts? Imagine a similar concept, except it's mystery instead of sci-fi, and it doesn't shift and get all serious half-way through.

Also, HBO has already picked it up as a limited series. I can't see how that will be fun to watch for anyone who has already read the book. But for non-book readers, I think it could be hilarious if done correctly.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Anyone read Barbara Kingsolver? She’s one of my favorite authors, Poisonwood Bible one of my favorite books. I’m reading her latest, Demon Copperhead, about a boy growing up in Appalachia. Fashioned after David Copperfield. I’m more than halfway through and a five star for me.
I've been meaning to add her to my holds list. I'll do that today.

Update: finished it. Great little mystery. @Marvin the Martian I think you'd like this one. Remember Redshirts? Imagine a similar concept, except it's mystery instead of sci-fi, and it doesn't shift and get all serious half-way through.

Also, HBO has already picked it up as a limited series. I can't see how that will be fun to watch for anyone who has already read the book. But for non-book readers, I think it could be hilarious if done correctly.

Do you think it will work in Audible as well as reading?

Some of the self-referential jokes might be better on the printed page, and it relies heavily on forcing you to notice certain details, so I'm not sure. A good reader could probably pull it off, though.
Ok, I will add it to my Kindle instead. Some books work great with Audible, and since I listen during my walks I get through things much faster

Ok, I will add it to my Kindle instead. Some books work great with Audible, and since I listen during my walks I get through things much faster
I don’t concentrate really well on Audible. I listen to biographies mostly so it isn’t earth shattering if I miss something. I have troubles with mysteries that way. I listen when I’m working out and driving. Halfway through with Prince Harry and it’s way too long! Some interesting stuff but needed a better editor.

Anyone up to date with Succession? Last night‘s episode was a stunner, acting wise. I didn’t think anything would beat episode 3 of Last of Us, but this was something. Watching it again for what I may have missed first round.

Reactions: larsIU
Anyone up to date with Succession? Last night‘s episode was a stunner, acting wise. I didn’t think anything would beat episode 3 of Last of Us, but this was something. Watching it again for what I may have missed first round.
Yeah I've been hooked on it since it first came out and I was going through GOT withdrawals.

Amazing acting, amazing dialogue, amazing editing pov....my only complaint is character growth. They tend to still be the same people as they started. Each season ends spectacularly and I keep thinking okay, a character just transformed (Greg season one, Kendal season two, Tom season three) only to have them go back to their original, hot mess selves so yeah, last night was brilliant as far as story telling, and the timing, and the lack of fanfare in what happened....so now I'm wondering what characters are going to transform again.

And damn, what is the deal with HBO weddings!!???!!

But yeah, amazing show. I was 100% hooked season one after the big board meeting that backfired. That was something like episode 4 and was good enough to be a season finale for any other show.

I like Billions but Succession makes it look like a Telemundo daytime soap opera.

As a fanboy, I loved this promo bit where the actors of Tom and Greg switched roles for fun.

Last edited:
I think I'll have to:

I don't know how to talk about this episode, even vaguely, without hinting what's happening.

I think we all expected this episode was coming, but it came a little quick for me. But that's the way these things are, right? My last convo with my dad was a long one about a football game and law school and how he was in great health considering, and then three days later...

I think the performances were great. Especially Roman and Ken alone in the room on speaker. And then later, Kieran Culkin got to play the only human in the room for a change, and he did it well. I was also very impressed with how the director reached back and made little scenes hugely significant after they happened, like Shiv frantically refusing Tom's call several times right before.

Shiv used the word "we" at the end of her press conference, but my guess is that the Triumvirate is over, and this show ends with the siblings at each other's throats.

I think I'll have to:

I don't know how to talk about this episode, even vaguely, without hinting what's happening.

I think we all expected this episode was coming, but it came a little quick for me. But that's the way these things are, right? My last convo with my dad was a long one about a football game and law school and how he was in great health considering, and then three days later...

I think the performances were great. Especially Roman and Ken alone in the room on speaker. And then later, Kieran Culkin got to play the only human in the room for a change, and he did it well. I was also very impressed with how the director reached back and made little scenes hugely significant after they happened, like Shiv frantically refusing Tom's call several times right before.

Shiv used the word "we" at the end of her press conference, but my guess is that the Triumvirate is over, and this show ends with the siblings at each other's throats.
How do you do spoilers? I need to respond.

Finally broke down and got Paramount, and the first thing I am watching is Picard. I’m halfway through season 2, and one of my takeaways is: even though the universe is infinitely big, and time stretches backwards and forwards for billions and billions of years, everywhere his crew goes, at least one person there knows JLP.
What are the odds? I mean, I’m fully expecting them to fall into a black hole, and some planet, millions of light years away, full of giant crickets will rub their legs together and sing a hymn to him as they bow down.

Finally broke down and got Paramount, and the first thing I am watching is Picard. I’m halfway through season 2, and one of my takeaways is: even though the universe is infinitely big, and time stretches backwards and forwards for billions and billions of years, everywhere his crew goes, at least one person there knows JLP.
What are the odds? I mean, I’m fully expecting them to fall into a black hole, and some planet, millions of light years away, full of giant crickets will rub their legs together and sing a hymn to him as they bow down.
For some reason that reminded me of the tv Superman joke which was along the lines of..... It's obvious that Superman can be hurt by actual guns. Not bullets, literal guns. If Superman is in front of you don't shoot him, throw your gun at him.

I guess there's a famous scene from George Reeves Superman where three dudes are shooting at him from five feet away as he just stands there, when the bullets run out they throw the gun at him and he steps aside to not get hit by them.

I love TV consistency/plot armor/duex ex machina storytelling point outs, humor.

The 'everything wrong with' series is pretty good as they go through and count all of the nonsensical plot points of a show or movie.

I've seen others like that. Game of Thrones is littered with them (and hilarious when pointed out).

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Discovery making a huge move. The new Warner-Discovery merged streaming service will launch next month, called simply "Max," and it will be at the same price point as the current HBOMax. It's looking like it will have a library of content big enough to really put some pressure on competitors.

Has anyone read Chris McChesney's book The Four Disciplines of Execution? He was keynote for IU's Statewide IT Conference and did a great job. Maybe it was because he spoke about both the F35 and the Apollo moon program.

It is on leadership, I work in very small areas where leadership hasn't been something really needed. That said, I think the skills he spoke of were very interesting.

Chuck Lorre is creating a series for HBO Max set in the Big Bang Theory universe. None of the original characters will star but they will have opportunities for guest appearances.

If it were me, I'd set it with college kids at Cal Tech. Maybe one nerdy, but overall more diverse characters. The nerd play has probably been exhausted.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Chuck Lorre is creating a series for HBO Max set in the Big Bang Theory universe. None of the original characters will star but they will have opportunities for guest appearances.

If it were me, I'd set it with college kids at Cal Tech. Maybe one nerdy, but overall more diverse characters. The nerd play has probably been exhausted.
I’m developing one about this middle-aged divorced dad, set in some sh$thole Midwest city. Former soccer star who spends his days berating woke libs on a sports message board, his nights looking for love at some Applebees knockoff (unless they want to be a sponsor, then the real thing). Think Archie Bunker meets Cheers meets Two and a Half Men meets Married With Children.

All kidding aside, I’d watch this in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m developing one about this middle-aged divorced dad, set in some sh$thole Midwest city. Former soccer star who spends his days berating woke libs on a sports message board, his nights looking for love at some Applebees knockoff (unless they want to be a sponsor, then the real thing). Think Archie Bunker meets Cheers meets Two and a Half Men meets Married With Children.

All kidding aside, I’d watch this in a heartbeat.

Sounds great but you are going to have to work hard to make it believable.

Another formulaic sitcom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT