ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Hey, @larsIU , I told you to keep an eye on Carrie Coon in The Leftovers.

A few other shows to throw out there:
1. Shrinking (Apple) The joshing around/friendships with Harrison Ford, Jason Segel, and Jessica Williams are hilarious. The whole series got better as the season progressed.
2. Hello, Tomorrow (Apple) Just okay, but Billy Crudup as an ethically challenged salesman is worth the time invested.
3. Lucky Hank (1st episode - AMC) Bob Odenkirk as Richard Russo (Straight Man was sort of autobiographical). Not really LOL funny, but you can tell it's really going to ramp up.
4. Ted Lasso (Season 4 Apple) First episode set the table for the rest of the season
5. NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament (CBS, TNT, TBS, TruTV) - Were the games incredibly physical this year, or was that just me?
Welcome noob.

I really am going to have to get the Apple TV subscription aren't I?

I have Lucky Hank recorded solely for Odenkirk. He's got that kind of pull for me now. Did you every see Nobody?

As to the basketball.....sigh. At least Purdue lost before IU. And everyone else. Ever. Except for Virginia. But the college basketball we watch today is getting terrible. Barely watchable. Outside of IU, I've watched far more pro basketball in the last 5 years than college. NIL will be the nail in the amateur coffin (to be sure, it was 99% closed anyway).

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Hey, @larsIU , I told you to keep an eye on Carrie Coon in The Leftovers.

A few other shows to throw out there:
1. Shrinking (Apple) The joshing around/friendships with Harrison Ford, Jason Segel, and Jessica Williams are hilarious. The whole series got better as the season progressed.
2. Hello, Tomorrow (Apple) Just okay, but Billy Crudup as an ethically challenged salesman is worth the time invested.
3. Lucky Hank (1st episode - AMC) Bob Odenkirk as Richard Russo (Straight Man was sort of autobiographical). Not really LOL funny, but you can tell it's really going to ramp up.
4. Ted Lasso (Season 4 Apple) First episode set the table for the rest of the season
5. NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament (CBS, TNT, TBS, TruTV) - Were the games incredibly physical this year, or was that just me?
Welcome back!

Welcome noob.

I really am going to have to get the Apple TV subscription aren't I?

I have Lucky Hank recorded solely for Odenkirk. He's got that kind of pull for me now. Did you every see Nobody?

As to the basketball.....sigh. At least Purdue lost before IU. And everyone else. Ever. Except for Virginia. But the college basketball we watch today is getting terrible. Barely watchable. Outside of IU, I've watched far more pro basketball in the last 5 years than college. NIL will be the nail in the amateur coffin (to be sure, it was 99% closed anyway).
I did watch Nobody, and really liked it.

If you want a different take on Odenkirk, go back and watch Mr. Show or W/Bob and David, two sketch shows with Odenkirk and David Cross.

Reactions: larsIU
I did watch Nobody, and really liked it.

If you want a different take on Odenkirk, go back and watch Mr. Show or W/Bob and David, two sketch shows with Odenkirk and David Cross.
Also, Carrie Coon is a smoke show. But, and I couldn't believe this, her husband is the dude who played Henry Ford II in Ford v Ferrari. I was shocked.

B/c clearly my physical appearance would have been fine. Dammit.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Also, Carrie Coon is a smoke show.
Yes, she is...

MV5BODhjNzZkNzQtMzRlNy00ZmZhLWFhYWYtMDQxNGRlMzA0NmVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ3Nzk5MTU@._V1_.jpg

I'll take all your recommendations from now on.

The only bad part? I've finished and don't have anyone to talk to about it! It's as if the show just departed from my life and I can't get closure . . .
If I remember correctly, every single episode was on HBO Max (which I have), except the final episode of the final season.
I had to purchase that one separately from Prime. Is that about right?

Also, before I forget, I did watch the first episode of The Watcher on Netflix. Wasn't sure what to make of it, but I'll keep going.
It's based on a real story, and I remember reading about it in one of my rabbit hole descents very recently. It was a strange incident. I recommend getting on the Googles and reading the source material.

A list of 9 "basically perfect" tv shows. I am highly skeptical, though I know The Wire will have a lot of support here.

That's a good list. I forgot about the original Law & Order in my initial lists. That is definitely one of my favorites.

Mad Men is better than most on that list, though. And no one--not even Lost fans, and I was one--would say it is anywhere near perfect.

That's a good list. I forgot about the original Law & Order in my initial lists. That is definitely one of my favorites.

Mad Men is better than most on that list, though. And no one--not even Lost fans, and I was one--would say it is anywhere near perfect.
There is a recency bias.

But I was thinking earlier (before seeing that) that many shows were great then lasted too long. West Wing, MASH, and House are three.

I was thinking of that because I believe Ted Lasso is about to achieve a level of greatness by quitting too soon over too late.

As to old shows, Twilight Zone, Dark Shadows, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett. Since that one is not scripted it may/may not apply. Firefly needed to last longer or I might add it. If Babylon 5 hadn't been jerked around by being cancelled/not cancelled, it might have made it (and some bad effects but I can't hold that against it but your mileage may vary.

And if we count British, Blackadder. And another a sketch show, That Mitchell and Webb Look.

What is weird, some of those aren't my favorites. I see why Twilight Zone is great, I like it, but that genre isn't my thing.

There is a recency bias.

But I was thinking earlier (before seeing that) that many shows were great then lasted too long. West Wing, MASH, and House are three.

I was thinking of that because I believe Ted Lasso is about to achieve a level of greatness by quitting too soon over too late.

As to old shows, Twilight Zone, Dark Shadows, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett. Since that one is not scripted it may/may not apply. Firefly needed to last longer or I might add it. If Babylon 5 hadn't been jerked around by being cancelled/not cancelled, it might have made it (and some bad effects but I can't hold that against it but your mileage may vary.

And if we count British, Blackadder. And another a sketch show, That Mitchell and Webb Look.

What is weird, some of those aren't my favorites. I see why Twilight Zone is great, I like it, but that genre isn't my thing.
Yeah, I think there's a big divide between "perfection" and "greatness." I'll still include BSG in my list of best TV shows ever, but I'd never call it perfect. It had flaws all over the place. Rome had one perfect season, followed by a season that was nearly ruined by being rushed by HBO, and yet, as a whole, it was still a great show.

I'm with Brad in questioning the inclusion of Lost, despite being a fan myself. I'd easily consider The Americans or Left Behind for perfection before I'd put up Lost.

I agree with you on Firefly.

Also, before I forget, I did watch the first episode of The Watcher on Netflix. Wasn't sure what to make of it, but I'll keep going.
It's based on a real story, and I remember reading about it in one of my rabbit hole descents very recently. It was a strange incident. I recommend getting on the Googles and reading the source material.
Suggested to the wife we watch this. She said she had seen the first couple episodes, didn't think much of it, but would give it a second look. So we watched the first episode tonight together. I might see if it gets better, but I wasn't taken with it.

Yeah, I think there's a big divide between "perfection" and "greatness." I'll still include BSG in my list of best TV shows ever, but I'd never call it perfect. It had flaws all over the place. Rome had one perfect season, followed by a season that was nearly ruined by being rushed by HBO, and yet, as a whole, it was still a great show.

I'm with Brad in questioning the inclusion of Lost, despite being a fan myself. I'd easily consider The Americans or Left Behind for perfection before I'd put up Lost.

Love BSG and Rome season I. Great calls.

There is a recency bias.

I really enjoyed the Americans. What’s BSG?

I liked BSG but I prefer optimism over dark. BSG was really dark. The original was more fun.

I often suggest Adam West was the best Batman. No, he wasn't but he was the most fun. There is nothing wrong with being fun, but it isn't perfect.
I really enjoyed the Americans. What’s BSG?
Battlestar Galactica

Love BSG and Rome season I. Great calls.
Let me expand the theme by extending it to a few animated shows, as well.

Cowboy Bebop - I think one of the greatest animated shows produced, and also makes a strong claim for "perfection" in the sense that, from the first episode to the last, it couldn't have been done any better than it was.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Exactly the opposite of what I mentioned about BSG and Rome, this is a show that could be considered "perfect" in that it never misses a beat, and is done about as well as it possibly could have been done, and yet, in the end, it's generally considered a very good, but not great show.

Moral Orel - Remember this one? This is a very dark show that goes many levels deeper than you'd think just by glancing at it. Even after Adult Swim made them dump seven episodes from the final season with little warning, they never went wrong even for a split second. It's an incredible work of art that could easily make a claim at perfection. And yet, who even remembers it? A tiny blip on the overall cultural radar.

Let me expand the theme by extending it to a few animated shows, as well.

Cowboy Bebop - I think one of the greatest animated shows produced, and also makes a strong claim for "perfection" in the sense that, from the first episode to the last, it couldn't have been done any better than it was.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Exactly the opposite of what I mentioned about BSG and Rome, this is a show that could be considered "perfect" in that it never misses a beat, and is done about as well as it possibly could have been done, and yet, in the end, it's generally considered a very good, but not great show.

Moral Orel - Remember this one? This is a very dark show that goes many levels deeper than you'd think just by glancing at it. Even after Adult Swim made them dump seven episodes from the final season with little warning, they never went wrong even for a split second. It's an incredible work of art that could easily make a claim at perfection. And yet, who even remembers it? A tiny blip on the overall cultural radar.
I"ve never seen any of those.

I love Love Death + Robots. Would I like those?

I liked BSG but I prefer optimism over dark. BSG was really dark. The original was more fun.

I often suggest Adam West was the best Batman. No, he wasn't but he was the most fun. There is nothing wrong with being fun, but it isn't perfect.

Battlestar Galactica
I can understand that. The best Batman was obviously Keaton or Bale, but West might be my favorite. But BSG was great for reasons far beyond that it was simply a dark retelling of a campy story. It had great casting, writing, acting, and production. It far surpassed anything SciFi/SyFy ever did, and likely ever will again.

I can understand that. The best Batman was obviously Keaton or Bale, but West might be my favorite. But BSG was great for reasons far beyond that it was simply a dark retelling of a campy story. It had great casting, writing, acting, and production. It far surpassed anything SciFi/SyFy ever did, and likely ever will again.
I thought it tackled the moral dilemmas of AI, consciousness, etc. much better than West World. Another show I need to go back and rewatch.

Starting the new season of Ted lasso tonight. Excited

I also want to see Air. I watched the documentary on sonny and it was fascinating. I’m amazed at how Nike and adidas got going

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
1) zava is a zlatan ripoff
2) ted’s phone home … and about three things related to same could not have been more eerily similar to my world.

I’m weak

• Sad
Reactions: TommyCracker
1) zava is a zlatan ripoff
2) ted’s phone home … and about three things related to same could not have been more eerily similar to my world.

I’m weak
Never heard of Zlatan. He as good as Zava?

I wanted to vomit for Ted at that phone call. Awful, awful stuff. Been there.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
You’ve got a real nice YouTube rabbit hole coming.
My Ted predictions (they're not spoilers....I'm just speculating).

I think Nate is redeemed by first having a surprise chat at Ted's home who of course ends up supporting Nate like the father figure he is desperately looking for. Plus while at Ted's house he notices the picture on Ted's desk and the lego character. Rupert, who will be putting pressure on Nate all season, demands he has Zava or Jamie badly injured which Nate will refuse and then resigns/gets fired. Ted will pick him back up

Later in a game vs West Ham, either Zava or Jamie will get seriously hurt by a player and Ted loses his shit, goes after Rupert and decks him with his left hand (to tie back to the dart game). Ted is then suspended but it rallies the team and community. Nate ends up helping to lead the team to it's championship, giving all the credit to Ted and finishing his redemption.

Here's an interesting and related game: share your shopping list. Not your real one, but what Google and/or Bing are pelting you with on their front pages. Here's what Microsoft thinks I should want to buy:

The First World War: A Complete History by Martin Gilbert
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
The Illiad and The Odyssey by Homer
Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games by Laszlo Polgar

Man, even the AI knows I'm a nerd.

Here's an interesting and related game: share your shopping list. Not your real one, but what Google and/or Bing are pelting you with on their front pages. Here's what Microsoft thinks I should want to buy:

The First World War: A Complete History by Martin Gilbert
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
The Illiad and The Odyssey by Homer
Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games by Laszlo Polgar

Man, even the AI knows I'm a nerd.

Mine is very similar:

How to make fentanyl by Liu Cixin

Jack Daniels, 1.75 L

Lisa Annes greatest scenes, Vol. 1-IV with DVD extras (including hilarious bloopers!)

NewEra Cubs flatbill caps

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT