ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

I watched Tar last night. I thought Cate Blanchet was fantastic and see why she’s the Oscar favorite. I thought the movie was too long at 2:37. I’m still processing if I actually enjoyed the movie.
Agreed. I think so many movies are too long now. We were looking for one to go to after dinner one night and many of our choices were three hours long or more! It takes a really good movie to need to be that long.

Lindelof did Lost and The Leftovers. The Leftovers is all the best parts of Lost with very little of the bad and only 28 episodes. Gets to the story quick but still develops the characters (b/c of the very limited number of true main characters).

The Leftovers did leave some things undone, many in fact. Part of those were completely intentional but some weren't which is the only reason I'm not putting it into the top 5 right off the bat.

Disagree on the Wire. I'm a huge fan of showrunners creating a "world" to inhabit. The Wire does that effortlessly. The Leftovers also does it masterfully. With both we are forced to believe what we're seeing and we do even if it makes no sense. With The Wire it's b/c I have little to zero experience being a young black man in an inner city and the pressures and obstacles present. Wtih the Leftovers you must suspend some disbelief but the initial departure scenes and aftermath make this possible. Just excellently done.

I would really consider replacing Lost on your list with The Leftovers. It's the far superior Lindelof work. And the ending of Leftovers rivals BB and BCS but with a some Sopranos mixed in and just a hint of Inception. It could be the best ending possible. The whole final season was like watching somebody barely hold it together on the balance beam, not falling but coming close, and then absolutely landing the 540, triple twist, double whatever landing.

The ending really is that good.
OK. I'm four episodes in. Lots of questions. Lots of nitpicks. Biggest one: I think the whole plot device would lead to a huge upsurge in religious attendance instead of dampening it. Don't say anything, though: I want to be surprised when the reveals occur.

Didn't know Tom Perotta (Little Children, Election) wrote this. Makes sense.

I can't get over how much Kevin, the police chief, looks like a young John Slattery (Roger from Mad Men). It's eerie.

Reactions: larsIU
Sad news. SIAP. Tom Sizemore on the way out. Dude had some demons but damn was he in some great movies. I like the second tweet. Hell I didn't even remember he was in Point Break.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Sad news. SIAP. Tom Sizemore on the way out. Dude had some demons but damn was he in some great movies. I like the second tweet. Hell I didn't even remember he was in Point Break.

Yeah he was a mess. He had a reality show on vh1 that was good. Followed him around.

That’s that Hollywood life. We don’t know a damn thing about it. 9-5 clowns. That’s what we are. Better off Amish. And part of why we hate Hollywood and celebs. I’d trade 25 years of my life to live that coked up whacked out young Hollywood life

40 years ago tonight, the MASH final Episode "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" aired. I love MASH, still watch it. But the other than the cultural significance I have little use for that finale.

Yeah he was a mess. He had a reality show on vh1 that was good. Followed him around.

That’s that Hollywood life. We don’t know a damn thing about it. 9-5 clowns. That’s what we are. Better off Amish. And part of why we hate Hollywood and celebs. I’d trade 25 years of my life to live that coked up whacked out young Hollywood life

Masters of the Air is still in production. One of the B17 aircrew that is portrayed in the movie wrote a book for his family before passing, Luck of the Draw. They have gotten it published. I am so looking forward to this movie.

heat-1995.gif

OK. I'm four episodes in. Lots of questions. Lots of nitpicks. Biggest one: I think the whole plot device would lead to a huge upsurge in religious attendance instead of dampening it. Don't say anything, though: I want to be surprised when the reveals occur.

Didn't know Tom Perotta (Little Children, Election) wrote this. Makes sense.

I can't get over how much Kevin, the police chief, looks like a young John Slattery (Roger from Mad Men). It's eerie.
I'm addicted. Binged through Season 2, a much tighter, better plot line running through it than Season 1. Told in a masterful sequence (that's the Lost stuff we loved and this is handled better). Also, the music throughout, including the original score is fantastic.

I'll finish Season 3 in a few days, max.

I'm addicted. Binged through Season 2, a much tighter, better plot line running through it than Season 1. Told in a masterful sequence (that's the Lost stuff we loved and this is handled better). Also, the music throughout, including the original score is fantastic.

I'll finish Season 3 in a few days, max.
Seatbelts. Buckle them. It goes places.

And what did you think of “International Assassin?”

Seatbelts. Buckle them. It goes places.

And what did you think of “International Assassin?”
Liked it. Pulling that off was tough. And I loved that he gained an understanding and caring for Patti.

I think the episode before it might have been my favorite. The talk between Laurie and Kevin, where she explains how the brain will believe crazy things in the face of fear and uncertainty was written years before COVID but sounds like it was written yesterday to explain what we've been living through.

Hey guys why didn’t you tell me how HOT Kayce Dutton is? I might have started watching a lot sooner.

It gets crummy. Maybe they started coming out with all the spin-offs and let it go
First season of 1932 was great actually. First half of Tulsa King was too. Hell or High Water and Wind River were two of the best movies of the last decade.

Taylor Sheridan is excellent, he’s currently spread to thin. Or can’t sustain.

First season of 1932 was great actually. First half of Tulsa King was too. Hell or High Water and Wind River were two of the best movies of the last decade.

Taylor Sheridan is excellent, he’s currently spread to thin. Or can’t sustain.
Agreed on both 1932 and Tulsa king first half. Haven’t seen the movies

@UncleMark

Without looking it up, how is this person related to Carrie Coon?

GettyImages-1138818469.jpg

Husband. He's 57, she's 42. Mcmurty is a dumbass sometimes. And you and I both missed our shot, though I'm clearly much too young for her.

@UncleMark

Without looking it up, how is this person related to Carrie Coon?

GettyImages-1138818469.jpg

Husband. He's 57, she's 42. Mcmurty is a dumbass sometimes. And you and I both missed our shot, though I'm clearly much too young for her.
That's incredible

Season 3 is bumpy but the landing...chef's kiss.
Finished. Haven't binged a series like this in a long time. Thanks mightily for the recommendation. Easily in my Top 5 despite a LOT of nitpicks, etc.

Great mix of emotionally deep topics and acting, interesting cliff-hanger plot devices and sequencing, A+ use of music to create mood, and plenty of fantastic Carrie Coon nakedness. (For women, lots of fully naked men and a 2% body fat Justin Theroux shirtless for about half the series.)

After having gone through the whole series and that episode, the ending was absolutely perfect. Can't believe I never watched this as it was happening.

• Love
After having gone through the whole series and that episode, the ending was absolutely perfect. Can't believe I never watched this as it was happening.

Yep. Same reaction. I never watched it because:

A. It got no buzz at the time. So little I’m surprised they even finished it. Note the only 8 episode final season. Lindlof wanted ten episodes.

B. I figured it was some Lost esque reboot with titties and cursing (b/c HBO!) and some rapture holy moliness.

Guy here at work, who I trust with this kind of stuff, said to watch The Consultant on Prime. Christoph Waltz show. Sounds interesting.

Yep. Same reaction. I never watched it because:

A. It got no buzz at the time. So little I’m surprised they even finished it. Note the only 8 episode final season. Lindlof wanted ten episodes.

B. I figured it was some Lost esque reboot with titties and cursing (b/c HBO!) and some rapture holy moliness.

Guy here at work, who I trust with this kind of stuff, said to watch The Consultant on Prime. Christoph Waltz show. Sounds interesting.
I'll take all your recommendations from now on.

The only bad part? I've finished and don't have anyone to talk to about it! It's as if the show just departed from my life and I can't get closure . . .

• Haha
I'll take all your recommendations from now on.

The only bad part? I've finished and don't have anyone to talk to about it! It's as if the show just departed from my life and I can't get closure . . .
So I regularly listen to a podcast by two guys under the moniker Bald Move. Really well done. Well researched. All movies and TV. Been doing it for years. I’ve listened to quite a few of their pods and am unashamed to admit some of my takes here are just regurgitating theirs. Lazy am I.

They both grew up in Indiana in a fundamentalist Christian cult. They both got out. One is clearly atheist and the other probably agnostic. Their take on this show was pretty cool relative to the supernatural vs dreamt/hallucinated parts and obviously the array of cults.

Their other pods (GOT, BB, BCS, etc.) are excellent. They also do a ton of movie pods which are similarly fantastic.

I fell behind, and just watched The Last of Us, episode 7. Now that was a great episode of television. It was at times a great love story - reminded me of Red and Andy - but it was also a tragedy. And it moved the characters forward in a wonderful way. Ellie loves Joel. Not in the way she loved Riley, but still deeply. And Joel loves Ellie. Not in the way he loved Sarah, but still deeply. This episode pushed them together in a way that can't be undone. And they did it with a flashback! I love flashbacks. Great episode.

I fell behind, and just watched The Last of Us, episode 7. Now that was a great episode of television. It was at times a great love story - reminded me of Red and Andy - but it was also a tragedy. And it moved the characters forward in a wonderful way. Ellie loves Joel. Not in the way she loved Riley, but still deeply. And Joel loves Ellie. Not in the way he loved Sarah, but still deeply. This episode pushed them together in a way that can't be undone. And they did it with a flashback! I love flashbacks. Great episode.
Ready for the next one?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT