ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Watched the first two episodes of Netflix inspiration4 the spacex civilian mission. Really, really great

the-wonder-years-reboot.jpg

This is set in Montgomery, Alabama in the late 60's. The kid goes to a school named after Jefferson Davis.

I look forward to the nuanced discussion about the whacky shenanigans in this series.

:D

the-wonder-years-reboot.jpg

This is set in Montgomery, Alabama in the late 60's. The kid goes to a school named after Jefferson Davis.

I look forward to the nuanced discussion about the whacky shenanigans in this series.

:D
I hope it's good. I have it recorded. i loved the original wonder years. some of the episodes were just great. when kevin goes to work with his dad. on and on. hopefully this is as well done.

Last edited:
Who knows, 2001 covered a longer timeframe (though fewer worlds) so it is possible.

I love Lasso and Morning Show is pretty good so maybe Apple has the secret sauce.

The concept of trying to save knowledge heading into a dark age is very timely.
Apple has found their lane, quality over quantity. I don’t even open Netflix anymore, just get inundated with crap.

Flipped on the first episode of the wonder years because I have some fond memories of watching reruns of that show with the family when I was little.

Very opening line….

“Growing up, Mom and Dad gave me the “The Police Talk”, about how to handle yourself around cops”

Welp, I tried at least.

Reactions: sluggo69
I hope it's good. I have it recorded. i loved the original wonder years. some of the episodes were just great. when kevin goes to work with his dad. on and on. hopefully this is as well done.
I thought it was well done. It will take some adjustment, this is not Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper. But it is of course similar. I am having a hard time with how old Charlie Young is (Dule Hill).

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I thought it was well done. It will take some adjustment, this is not Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper. But it is of course similar. I am having a hard time with how old Charlie Young is (Dule Hill).
MLK assassination in the first episode is laying it on a little thick.

Flipped on the first episode of the wonder years because I have some fond memories of watching reruns of that show with the family when I was little.

Very opening line….

“Growing up, Mom and Dad gave me the “The Police Talk”, about how to handle yourself around cops”

Welp, I tried at least.
Of course. Yawn. I'm going to try as I have an 11 yr old and there's only so much stuff the whole fam can watch

I'm currently in the middle of a Westworld rewatch. This show is way better the second time around. And it was pretty darn good the first time around. But the second time, not being distracted by the spectacle of it all, you can get a lot deeper thematically, and it goes very, very deep. I just finished S2E8, "Kiksuya," and I thought it was pretty good the first time around, but now, I think I just watched one of the best episodes of television ever.

Squid Game on Netflix. Only three episodes in but so far I’m intrigued. As always leave the subtitles keep the Korean. The English dub is awful.

Twist appears to be that the tie that binds is debt so the cross section of characters is deep from a socio economic perspective. Interested to see where they go with it.

Squid Game on Netflix. Only three episodes in but so far I’m intrigued. As always leave the subtitles keep the Korean. The English dub is awful.

Twist appears to be that the tie that binds is debt so the cross section of characters is deep from a socio economic perspective. Interested to see where they go with it.
Heard them raving about this on NPR the other day. Sounds interesting.

Squid Game is good. Lots of good stuff from Korea besides Parasite - The Handmaiden is wonderful, even without the scissoring…

Saw it yesterday.
Long (2hrs 45mins) but beautifully crafted. The pacing was sluggish in parts but overall, a well made final part of Craig's five-part film series.
Closing of chapters, tributes to the past Bond movies/icons; a number of arching storylines. And some are left unanswered or unclosed in this movie.
So not so much of beautiful women but more theatrical, adding depth to the protagonist.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
And I've seen it called disturbingly violent and gruesome. But I suppose after GoT everyone has to push the envelope.
Read a review tonight and reviewer said Squid Game was basically the worst thing he’s ever seen - but I think he liked it.

For All Mankind - love this show. The episode(s) in season 1 about Shane (the kid) were brilliant. Not sure if anyone under 50 will appreciate it though.

So Marvin, I finally got The Premonition and wow. Hard not to be infuriated at how badly this was screwed up by so many people. Who knew W was actually the first to be concerned about a pandemic? I wish those who are still vaccine hesitant could read this and see how long the vaccine has actually been studied Trump administrative people had to secretly call to get information to feed him to try to get him to take it seriously. I enjoyed reading about the people whose life work it is preparing for something like this and wish we would have listened to them a bit more. But you’re right, no one comes off looking very good from the government. Wish they had talked about NYC in addition to California. I love Lewis’ writing. He makes complicated subjects interesting and relatable.

So Marvin, I finally got The Premonition and wow. Hard not to be infuriated at how badly this was screwed up by so many people. Who knew W was actually the first to be concerned about a pandemic? I wish those who are still vaccine hesitant could read this and see how long the vaccine has actually been studied Trump administrative people had to secretly call to get information to feed him to try to get him to take it seriously. I enjoyed reading about the people whose life work it is preparing for something like this and wish we would have listened to them a bit more. But you’re right, no one comes off looking very good from the government. Wish they had talked about NYC in addition to California. I love Lewis’ writing. He makes complicated subjects interesting and relatable.

Now I am reading The Great Influenza, the book that scared Bush. I am not close to done, but it is extremely informative. The section on how viruses attack is great (and a takeaway, flu and HIV mutate like crazy, bacteria mutate extraordinarily slowly, and Corona is in the middle.

apropos of nothing gene hackman is 91. hadn't seen him for a while and was surprised to see him 91 years old.

apropos of nothing gene hackman is 91. hadn't seen him for a while and was surprised to see him 91 years old.

Wasn't he in a basketball movie once?

Wasn't he in a basketball movie once?
At a presentation at IU Cinema, Anspaugh discussed Hackman. They gave him a sheet of phrases to yell during the games so they could get shots of him "coaching". He only ever yelled one of them, over and over. When the filming ended Hackman told Anspaugh the movie would destroy both their careers.

I guess that is too be determined.

At a presentation at IU Cinema, Anspaugh discussed Hackman. They gave him a sheet of phrases to yell during the games so they could get shots of him "coaching". He only ever yelled one of them, over and over. When the filming ended Hackman told Anspaugh the movie would destroy both their careers.

I guess that is too be determined.
Not the greatest story in the world, but I love Hackman and I love Costner, so:

He looks a little younger than Biden in that pic.

(How has that not been posted yet? The GOPer's are slipping.)

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT