ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Looking forward to hearing your book report
I kind of dropped the ball on that front for "Straight Man"
I'm totally enthralled at how his writing flows, and kind of pulls you along. He has an excellent ear for dialogue, and he avoids (barely) being too witty. When I was younger, I used to binge read different authors and playwrights (Tom Robbins, John Irving, Pat Conroy, Tom Wolfe Tennessee Williams), and I remember reading a bunch of Neil Simon plays and thinking there was NO WAY people were this witty on the fly, all the time. Henry was believable and LOL funny all through the book. He was also just short of being an asshole, and his relationships with family, friends, and colleagues were also sad and funny at the same time.
Anyway, I'm glad I was introduced to Russo, and I look forward to reading all of his stuff.

I kind of dropped the ball on that front for "Straight Man"
I'm totally enthralled at how his writing flows, and kind of pulls you along. He has an excellent ear for dialogue, and he avoids (barely) being too witty. When I was younger, I used to binge read different authors and playwrights (Tom Robbins, John Irving, Pat Conroy, Tom Wolfe Tennessee Williams), and I remember reading a bunch of Neil Simon plays and thinking there was NO WAY people were this witty on the fly, all the time. Henry was believable and LOL funny all through the book. He was also just short of being an asshole, and his relationships with family, friends, and colleagues were also sad and funny at the same time.
Anyway, I'm glad I was introduced to Russo, and I look forward to reading all of his stuff.
Pat conroy and John Irving were responsible for my love of books

New Stephen King, Billy Summers, was very good. Not his normal type, nothing supernatural in it at all. Billy is a sniper who earns his living by assassinating “bad guys.” The set up is a little slow, but then it picks up.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Which are your favorites? I’d go Prince of Tides and either Garp or Prayer for Owen Meany. Loved The Great Santini too. Nancy Drew was responsible for my love of reading! Oh and The Box Car Children.

Which are your favorites? I’d go Prince of Tides and either Garp or Prayer for Owen Meany. Loved The Great Santini too. Nancy Drew was responsible for my love of reading! Oh and The Box Car Children.
Too many to name but yes to all you named! You know conroy also wrote a basketball book about his senior season at the citadel. I actually visited the citadel at the time I was reading lords of discipline which was kind of neat. Can't imagine going to a school like that nor could I imagine doing so during conroy's time

Too many to name but yes to all you named! You know conroy also wrote a basketball book about his senior season at the citadel. I actually visited the citadel at the time I was reading lords of discipline which was kind of neat. Can't imagine going to a school like that nor could I imagine doing so during conroy's time
That was My Losing Season. Great per usual for Conroy.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I remember a group of friends I had in college, back in the days when VCR rentals were HUGE, and they would rent out "The Great Santini" (and a VCR) a couple of times a month to watch it. Robert Duvall was great.
That was my introduction to Conroy.
"Prince of Tides" and "South of Broad" are two of my favorites. The stories of the Wingo kids growing up in Tides are so incredible, and they build up to the scenes with the tiger, and the older brother, and they kind of take your breath away.

Also, I am a big fan of the book (The Water is Wide) and the movie based on it (Conrack). Makes me wonder what the hell happened to Jon Voight. Maybe he lost his mind when he bit Kramer.

I remember a group of friends I had in college, back in the days when VCR rentals were HUGE, and they would rent out "The Great Santini" (and a VCR) a couple of times a month to watch it. Robert Duvall was great.
That was my introduction to Conroy.
"Prince of Tides" and "South of Broad" are two of my favorites. The stories of the Wingo kids growing up in Tides are so incredible, and they build up to the scenes with the tiger, and the older brother, and they kind of take your breath away.

Also, I am a big fan of the book (The Water is Wide) and the movie based on it (Conrack). Makes me wonder what the hell happened to Jon Voight. Maybe he lost his mind when he bit Kramer.
Robert Duvall was awesome. I love the catching tears in a spoon. Conroy wrote a memoir called the death of santini about him and his dad. I haven't read it

National Geographic has a 6 episode series on 9/11. We are watching on Hulu, not sure if it is on National Geographic. Just came out, and is unbelievably done. Many videos that I have never seen before. It is dramatic and gut-wrenching.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
National Geographic has a 6 episode series on 9/11. We are watching on Hulu, not sure if it is on National Geographic. Just came out, and is unbelievably done. Many videos that I have never seen before. It is dramatic and gut-wrenching.
watching a similar thing on netflix. started it last night.

Robert Duvall was awesome. I love the catching tears in a spoon. Conroy wrote a memoir called the death of santini about him and his dad. I haven't read it
Squirt a few...
ScaryColossalHake-size_restricted.gif

I still go to Youtube once a year (usually around 9/11) and replay the live TV footage from that day. Surreal.

Osama was a bad hombre.
craziness. the firm i worked for ages ago represented the bin laden family for years. they own a shit ton of property (land/houses/motels/hotels) throughout florida. the guy could have had a charmed life.

This post got me thinking about where my love of books comes from. That’s a hard one. Some of my earliest memories are with books, particularly a Currior and Ives picture book my folks had. Our encyclopedias had a WWII supplement that I spent time with before I could read looking at pictures and having my dad explain maps. (To this day I love to look at maps). Devoured the Hardy Boys. First adult book was Thirty Seconds over Tokyo and then on to Guadalcanal Diary and They were Expendable. In those days WWII paperbacks were ubiquitous, I bought all I could find. I guess that war got me into reading as much as any single thing.

Except for law school, I can’t remember a time when I didn’t have a book underway.

Now reading Killing England. Next up Brief History of Motion.

Oh, I love my Kindle.

This post got me thinking about where my love of books comes from. That’s a hard one. Some of my earliest memories are with books, particularly a Currior and Ives picture book my folks had. Our encyclopedias had a WWII supplement that I spent time with before I could read looking at pictures and having my dad explain maps. (To this day I love to look at maps). Devoured the Hardy Boys. First adult book was Thirty Seconds over Tokyo and then on to Guadalcanal Diary and They were Expendable. In those days WWII paperbacks were ubiquitous, I bought all I could find. I guess that war got me into reading as much as any single thing.

Except for law school, I can’t remember a time when I didn’t have a book underway.

Oh, I love my Kindle.
you strike me as more of a nonfiction guy coh. i'm the opposite. i rarely read nonfiction. i've read all krakauer's books and some others but my reading life has largely been fiction books. my dad was an avid reader too. he always had a book going. he loved louis l'amour and cormac mccarthy.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

Oh, I love my Kindle.
I remember when I was really young (single digits) reading a ton of these over and over again...not sure what happened to them, though. (I have moved on to real books, in case anyone wanted to be a smart ass.)

9185A-6gTbL.jpg

you strike me as more of a nonfiction guy coh. i'm the opposite. i rarely read nonfiction. i've read all krakauer's books and some others but my reading life has largely been fiction books. my dad was an avid reader too. he always had a book going. he loved louis l'amour and cormac mccarthy.
Nonfiction? Have you been reading his posts? He may not read it, but he sure writes the hell out of it.

:D

Remember those old Reader’s Digest that had 4 or 5 books? I loved those! My mom and I both read them. The only time my mom stuck up for me instead of a teacher was when our school librarian wouldn’t let me take books out above my grade level. I was reading Agatha Christie in third grade. Always loved murder mysteries… gorier the better.

i read mass market fiction. I’m all in on Lucas Davenport. Read many lawyer fiction books. I guess my biggest void is classical fiction. Never could get into those although some I have read are excellent.

Edit. Read all of Hillerman books too. Love this area of the Country. Haven’t read his daughter yet, but I will.

Last edited:
i read mass market fiction. I’m all in on Lucas Davenport. Read many lawyer fiction books. I guess my biggest void is classical fiction. Never could get into those although some I have read are excellent.

Edit. Read all of Hillerman books too. Love this area of the Country. Haven’t read his daughter yet, but I will.
this golden age of television has really hindered my reading. i watch far more television than read these days. hell i watch more tv than sports. i can't tell you the last time i've watched an entire football game. i used to be obsessed with college football. and basketball. hell i never watch college basketball anymore. i even like the reality soccer series' better than most of the actual games at this point. ugh. tv is sooooooo good these days.

Reactions: larsIU
this golden age of television has really hindered my reading. i watch far more television than read these days. hell i watch more tv than sports. i can't tell you the last time i've watched an entire football game. i used to be obsessed with college football. and basketball. hell i never watch college basketball anymore. i even like the reality soccer series' better than most of the actual games at this point. ugh. tv is sooooooo good these days.
Television has gotten better. Can hardly wait for Ozark, Peaky Blinders, World on Fire, Ray Donovan, and Yellowstone.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Television has gotten better. Can hardly wait for Ozark, Peaky Blinders, World on Fire, Ray Donovan, and Yellowstone.
check out mr inbetween. really entertaining. sad to report peaky blinders is done. the aunt died and hte crew got together and decided to call it a wrap. sucks. arthur explaining to alfie that he's old testament is one of my favorite tv scenes ever

check out mr inbetween. really entertaining. sad to report peaky blinders is done. the aunt died and hte crew got together and decided to call it a wrap. sucks. arthur explaining to alfie that he's old testament is one of my favorite tv scenes ever
I have checked out Mr. inbetween. I think that’s on a platform I don’t have and I’m tired of all the nickel and dime Television despite the good quality.

I have checked out Mr. inbetween. I think that’s on a platform I don’t have and I’m tired of all the nickel and dime Television despite the good quality.

it's a great show. that's a bummer. you'd like it a lot. it's on Fx and i think prime. history channel is now mia on fubo youtube tv. all annoying

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT