ADVERTISEMENT

Morgan Spurlock

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
The closest I've ever come to rubbing elbows with the (semi) rich and famous was spending informal personal time with Morgan Spurlock. We were close friends with his older brother and got to meet Morgan and his first wife on a couple occasions a number of years ago, shortly after he hit it big with Super Size Me. Normal, regular guy, with no airs or pretense, at least when we were sitting around the dinner table at his mothers house. He parlayed that into a number of successful projects, including a series on CNN. Later on he hit some rocky times, getting caught up in the #MeToo movement (in which he freely owned his own poor conduct).

Morgan died of cancer yesterday. 53 years old. I have been surprised at how much press his death has received. All over TV, radio, online press, you name it. I first heard this morning on NPR. It was a top of the hour announcement on the PBS Newshour tonight.

If you never saw Super Size Me, find it and watch it. It's a great show.

The closest I've ever come to rubbing elbows with the (semi) rich and famous was spending informal personal time with Morgan Spurlock. We were close friends with his older brother and got to meet Morgan and his first wife on a couple occasions a number of years ago, shortly after he hit it big with Super Size Me. Normal, regular guy, with no airs or pretense, at least when we were sitting around the dinner table at his mothers house. He parlayed that into a number of successful projects, including a series on CNN. Later on he hit some rocky times, getting caught up in the #MeToo movement (in which he freely owned his own poor conduct).

Morgan died of cancer yesterday. 53 years old. I have been surprised at how much press his death has received. All over TV, radio, online press, you name it. I first heard this morning on NPR. It was a top of the hour announcement on the PBS Newshour tonight.

No shit?? He’s from WVA. How did that come about? I really liked him a lot. He had an entire series where he would do stuff. Live on minimum wage. Etc. Very likable funny guy

No shit?? He’s from WVA. How did that come about? I really liked him a lot. He had an entire series where he would do stuff. Live on minimum wage. Etc. Very likable funny guy

His older brother Craig is/was a good friend of me and the wife. We met Craig online in a discussion group (same one me and the wife met up on) and we met up on several occasions. Craig came to our wedding; he came here a couple other times when other people from the same group were in town for one reason or another; we went to Beckley and stayed at their home several times. We met up with Morgan once when he got some award from the WV arts community, and another time when Craig (an amateur ballet dancer) was performing in Charleston. Manchin was the Governor at the time and made an appearance. (The Spurlocks all thought he was a douche.)

Reactions: BradStevens
His older brother Craig is/was a good friend of me and the wife. We met Craig online in a discussion group (same one me and the wife met up on) and we met up on several occasions. Craig came to our wedding; he came here a couple other times when other people from the same group were in town for one reason or another; we went to Beckley and stayed at their home several times. We met up with Morgan once when he got some award from the WV arts community, and another time when Craig (an amateur ballet dancer) was performing in Charleston. Manchin was the Governor at the time and made an appearance. (The Spurlocks all thought he was a douche.)
Very interesting. I was sad to read that he died

Glad to hear that he seems to have been the same guy back at home as he was in his work. Really talented, down-to-Earth guy who just liked moving people with good stories. The documentary world is a substantially lesser place without him and his unique perspective.

So you can meet chicks on Linux message boards, then? Huh, who knew.

My son would say you have internet riz, UncleMark.

Glad to hear that he seems to have been the same guy back at home as he was in his work. Really talented, down-to-Earth guy who just liked moving people with good stories. The documentary world is a substantially lesser place without him and his unique perspective.

Did you ever cross paths?

Supersize me watchable with kids?

By the way as someone who turns 53 this year, this is scary shit.

Oh yes. It is in fact probably a good watch for kids. Morgan's niece (Craig's daughter) was in a few scenes where they were talking about teenagers' eating habits and the food offerings in schools.

Seriously, you should watch it. It's funny and serious all at the same time. Being a Sundance documentary winner means something.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

This is the first I have heard of this. What a shame. I can almost get mad at cancer like it was a person. I did see Super Size Me and found it very interesting but not very realistic. Who eats only McDonalds for a significant amount of time? Yet, he did make a good point about healthy habits in eating and so it was a good thing. RIP Morgan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT