ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Woodson

Beard until he says no. Woodson with assistants Lewis, Cheaney, and Roberts. Reunite the former players fraternity. It’s our last opportunity to reestablish the Indiana identity. Otherwise, we are starting over and we are just another program.

Newsflash: IU has been in a “restart mode” for 6 seasons now and have been “just another program” for 3 decades. I don’t see how the stars all align with the magical hire of an IU guy.

Hiring an “IU guy” is dumbest argument there is. Hire someone capable of getting the job done. There are no “IU guys” capable of doing that.

Chris Beard or Bust.
I’m not vehemently opposed to hiring an “IU guy”, but the argument that we’ll only have success with an “IU guy” never resonated with me. Bill Self never attended Kansas and Calipari never went to Kentucky. They seem to be doing fine overall. KY had a rough season but Carl’s had success overall.

I’m not vehemently opposed to hiring an “IU guy”, but the argument that we’ll only have success with an “IU guy” never resonated with me. Bill Self never attended Kansas and Calipari never went to Kentucky. They seem to be doing fine overall. KY had a rough season but Carl’s had success overall.
So, you’re a fan of Carl Calipari?

Woodson was a good choice instead of Crean. Not sure about now. He hasn't coached college basketball and he is getting pretty old to learn on the fly.

But I never hate on former Hoosier greats.
Bring back Michael Lewis as an assistant too.

Krzyzewski didn't go to Duke either.

One very odd thing about Mike Woodson: He’s been a coach for a long,long time. Why at any point in all these new coaching searches from Sampson to Crean to Archie, did his name never come up? Not ever a serious candidate.
Look, Mike was a very good player. Played in the NBA for 10 years and was an assistant coach for many.
He’s not the missing piece to the puzzle, however. Guy has never, ever coached in a college environment. The past 41 years of his life has been strictly the NBA.
The guy has probably never been on a recruiting visit in his career and people are saying he would “kill it” in recruiting?
He’s a career NBA guy. He’s got only a .463 winning % as a head coach. He’s spent almost as much time as an assistant coach as a head guy. Mike is an IU guy, was a fun player to watch but he’s not what is needed in this hire.
Recruiting is talking to people about basketball and life and creating good relationships. And exhibiting your leadership qualities. You think with the 100s of young player relationships he has had, the player development he was responsible for, and all of the locker room leadership in his past that he cannot impress a recruit and his parents? When he starts talking about his NBA life and coaching experience, it will impress.
I’m not saying he is top choice. But he won’t need a seminar on how to talk to recruits.

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT