ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Greenburg was complaining about IU being ranked ahead of Alabama

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
says if the met on a neutral field Bama would be favored by 2 touchdowns, I think that may be a little extreme but would concede Bama would be a prohibitive favorite, following his logic should Las Vegas do the polls instead of the ap and coaches? F the SEC, we beat UCLA on the road by more than LSU did at home

says if the met on a neutral field Bama would be favored by 2 touchdowns, I think that may be a little extreme but would concede Bama would be a prohibitive favorite, following his logic should Las Vegas do the polls instead of the ap and coaches? F the SEC, we beat UCLA on the road by more than LSU did at home
WGAS about what Greenberg thinks.

Last edited:
Being favored by 2 TD’s and winning by 2 TD’s is two different things.
But neither would be the case if we played,just another ‘expert’ living in the past.

Cignetti, and IU, have passed every test, and answered every question mark so far this year.

One that they haven't faced, is a team filled with 4 and 5 star kids like what Alabama would have.

We'll get that here in a few weeks with the Michigan and OSU games.

I have no doubts that a full strength Rourke led IU team, would be competitive with anyone in the country. I think the Jackson led Hoosier likely would as well, but there is some more unknown there...

But its not an outlandish take to question whether we're big and athletic enough to beat a team like Bama.

Reactions: red hornet
Cignetti, and IU, have passed every test, and answered every question mark so far this year.

One that they haven't faced, is a team filled with 4 and 5 star kids like what Alabama would have.

I have no doubts that a full strength Rourke led IU team, would be competitive with anyone in the country. I think the Jackson led Hoosier likely would as well, but there is some more unknown there...

But its not an outlandish take to question whether we're big and athletic enough to beat a team like Bama.
Vanderbilt beat Alabama.

Nebraska is loaded with 4 star talent...

Vanderbilt beat Alabama.
Yep...so?

I think the point is until IU plays a team with top of the B10, or SEC levels of talent, there still has to be some question marks.

I'm pretty confident in Cignetti and the fellas being competitive, against anyone. I think Greenburg is wrong. Sagarin doesn't fully agree with Greenburg, but does still have Bama as the "better" team.

Its not an outlandish take on his part, though.

Fine to question if we can beat Bama, but a 14 pt favorite is getting outlandish given what we have seen from Bama this year.

Last edited:

I do think Bana falling 8 spots in the rankings losing by 7 on the road to the #11 ranked team is stupid. Would they beat IU? I'd probably say it's likely but neither program is what it used to be.

The real rankings fraud is Penn St. at #3.
It's funny you bring that up, I was just looking at the SP+ rankings last night and it had PSU defense as #2 I think. I agree that they certainly don't FEEL like they're that good. But I guess we'll see if they're for real when they play OSU next weekend.

It's funny you bring that up, I was just looking at the SP+ rankings last night and it had PSU defense as #2 I think. I agree that they certainly don't FEEL like they're that good. But I guess we'll see if they're for real when they play OSU next weekend.
If they survive at Wisky this weekend.

Maybe I’m wrong and they’re good. Just haven’t seen it.

If they survive at Wisky this weekend.

Maybe I’m wrong and they’re good. Just haven’t seen it.
They're the most overrated team in the country and they are EVERY year. Their win vs Illinois was a good win but after that, it gets soft. They gave up 30 to USC to BARELY get that win by 3. They gave up 27 to Bowling Green on their way to just a 7pt win. IU beat UCLA by more points than Penn State did and Penn State played them in Happy Valley.

I am hoping Wisconsin can somehow beat them, then Ohio State demolishes them, and we won't need to pretend they're a good team anymore.

Iu is a very good B1G power football team and should be able to compete with any team in the league. What separates Al, Ga, Tx etc from us is speed.
A 20 million dollar payroll is the real answer

Whatever your opinion may be on his take, he does indirectly amplify what could be the REAL issue/risk here...

We go 11-1, lose by (let's say...10) at OSU, and get left out of the B10 Championship...

Tennessee, LSU/A&M, or Bama with two losses likely gets in the Playoff over us because of:

1) Brand Name, and
2) Perceived SOS (was Nebraska ranked over all platforms when we beat them? Our only ranked game would have been a loss)

We mighta picked the wrong year to dump Louisville.

They're the most overrated team in the country and they are EVERY year. Their win vs Illinois was a good win but after that, it gets soft. They gave up 30 to USC to BARELY get that win by 3. They gave up 27 to Bowling Green on their way to just a 7pt win. IU beat UCLA by more points than Penn State did and Penn State played them in Happy Valley.

I am hoping Wisconsin can somehow beat them, then Ohio State demolishes them, and we won't need to pretend they're a good team anymore.

My impression of the rankings is that OSU/Oregon/Georgia/Texas are the clear top 4 then things get real squishy for the next 10-12 spots. I think you can make a reasonable case for PSU at 5 because the next in line would be Miami/Tenn/LSU that have their own major question marks. PSU is Still likely very good, but have done nothing to be mixed in with the that top 4. Overall, I think there is a surprising level of parity in the top 20

Reactions: YOTHN
Whatever your opinion may be on his take, he does indirectly amplify what could be the REAL issue/risk here...

We go 11-1, lose by (let's say...10) at OSU, and get left out of the B10 Championship...

Tennessee, LSU/A&M, or Bama with two losses likely gets in the Playoff over us because of:

1) Brand Name, and
2) Perceived SOS (was Nebraska ranked over all platforms when we beat them? Our only ranked game would have been a loss)

We mighta picked the wrong year to dump Louisville.
If we go 11-1 and get left out of the playoffs it will be robbery.
FSU getting left out of 4 team playoff last year is one thing.
We go 11-1 and miss out? Nope,that is just wrong.
Especially when someone like BYU and/Boise St gets in.

Reactions: IUgradman
You want to play the best you gotta beat the best. IU's destiny lies in their own hands. Beat Ahia at Ahia and 'nough said . . . on to the NCAA playoffs. Let the culture change sink in folks; we've got a winner . . . ask the Coach . . . better yet, Google him. What a time to be a Hoosier Football Fan !!!

Reactions: IUgradman
My impression of the rankings is that OSU/Oregon/Georgia/Texas are the clear top 4 then things get real squishy for the next 10-12 spots. I think you can make a reasonable case for PSU at 5 because the next in line would be Miami/Tenn/LSU that have their own major question marks. PSU is Still likely very good, but have done nothing to be mixed in with the that top 4. Overall, I think there is a surprising level of parity in the top 20
I think LSU is hardly a top 25 team too. USC beat them and they are 1-4 in the B1G. Tennessee and Miami would work Penn State sideways. They are trash. IU would beat them by 14+

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT