ADVERTISEMENT

EJ Williams gone!

TBH, I was absolutely shocked when we didn't have WR's going into the portal as the depth chart started to shake out in the fall. We have so many good WR that I couldn't fathom players of EJ Williams caliber would be ok with just 2 receptions through 7 games.

It stinks and I know he's probably bummed to jump from this team at this point but he's thinking about his future. 4 game appearances in, he can't play another snap or he'd lose a year of eligibility. He likely had big dreams when he went to Clemson and those dreams aren't done.

We are now a Elijah Sarratt injury away from having a pretty major issue with lack of size at the WR position. Losing Williams & McCulley doesn't hurt much now but our depth is going to be tested.

Charlie Becker is probably going to have to burn his redshirt.

Are you sure?

E. Sarratt
O. Cooper
M. Cross
M. Price
K. Williams
A. Coby

That's feels like we still have decent depth.

Are you sure?

E. Sarratt
O. Cooper
M. Cross
M. Price
K. Williams
A. Coby

That's feels like we still have decent depth.
While Coby has been a sneaky awesome special teams contributor, I do not think he's that great of a receiver.

Sarratt's the longest of the remaining bunch at 6'2'. Williams and McCulley were big, rangy targets in a way that nobody else is in the WR room. I have no doubt that Shanahan can scheme around any limitations, but if 6'2" Sarratt goes down that leaves Coby and 6'0" Omar Cooper as the biggest guy in the rotation.

Maybe I've just been conditioned by the years where we had Latimer / Cobbs / Westbrook / Miles Marshall to think you need a big body guy in the room. Lots of people know ball better than me will probably tell me I'm wrong.

Reactions: red hornet
While Coby has been a sneaky awesome special teams contributor, I do not think he's that great of a receiver.

Sarratt's the longest of the remaining bunch at 6'2'. Williams and McCulley were big, rangy targets in a way that nobody else is in the WR room. I have no doubt that Shanahan can scheme around any limitations, but if 6'2" Sarratt goes down that leaves Coby and 6'0" Omar Cooper as the biggest guy in the rotation.

Maybe I've just been conditioned by the years where we had Latimer / Cobbs / Westbrook / Miles Marshall to think you need a big body guy in the room. Lots of people know ball better than me will probably tell me I'm wrong.

Coby is 6'1. To be fair, this season so far...

E Williams & D McCully (combined)
4 receptions 70 yds 1 TD

A Coby
3 receptions 70yds and 1 TD

Coby is 6'1. To be fair, this season so far...

E Williams & D McCully (combined)
4 receptions 70 yds 1 TD

A Coby
3 receptions 70yds and 1 TD
Coby was a drop machine in the previous two seasons and consistently failed to get open. He's also been healthy while Williams & McCulley have both dealt with injuries. I don't think anyone given the choice would pick him over those two but I hope I'm wrong & he produces for us.

He's WR6, so not a ton of pressure for now.

Coby was a drop machine in the previous two seasons and consistently failed to get open. He's also been healthy while Williams & McCulley have both dealt with injuries. I don't think anyone given the choice would pick him over those two but I hope I'm wrong & he produces for us.

He's WR6, so not a ton of pressure for now.
Right, sorry, I didnt say he was better than those 2. I was just showing how he was merely more production those two. He is a WR6 so back to my original point, I think we have the depth still.

I believe EJ was a 5-star out of HS when he signed at Clemson. And wasn’t McCulley a four when he came here, albeit as a qb? I wish them both well, unless they play IU in the future. But once again, our lower level guys from JMU and Ohio U, playing with a chip on their shoulder, have set such a tone of competition in that group, that the 2 holdovers (that I was very glad about them staying last winter) just weren’t up for the challenge. IDK where their former position coach, ended up, but in hindsight, it’s pretty apparent, he didn’t exactly push these 2 guys to be their best.

Last edited:
I believe EJ was a 5-star out of HS when he signed at Clemson. And wasn’t McCulley a four when he came here, albeit as a qb? I wish them both well, unless they play IU in the future. But once again, our lower level guys from JMU and Ohio U, playing with a chip on their shoulder, have set such a tone of competition in that group, that the 2 holdovers (that I was very glad about them staying last winter) just weren’t up for the challenge. IDK where their former position coach, Grant Heard, ended up, but in hindsight, it’s pretty apparent, he didn’t exactly push these 2 guys to be their best.
Heard didn’t coach either of these guys.

We are now a Elijah Sarratt injury away from having a pretty major issue with lack of size at the WR position. Losing Williams & McCulley doesn't hurt much now but our depth is going to be tested.

Charlie Becker is probably going to have to burn his redshirt.
Becker is tall at 6’4”.
If they have to play him, so be it. He played in 1 game so far.
Interestingly, his dad lettered at Ohio State at LB on scholly for one year after playing 3 years in the Toronto Blue Jay organization as a catcher. His brother, Cole, is a reserve LB at App State.

This is a situation that bothers Me. If You are unhappy, just leave so You aren't a distraction to Your Team and Teammates. Yet this is another guy Who looks like a mercenary and serial Portal Entry. This will be his second transfer. never give up on Your dreams, but Sometimes You have to accept the fact that maybe the dream is beyond Your reach. My understanding is had Williams stayed this would be his last year of eligibility. If I were a Coach, I wouldn't even consider Him. Second transfer, third school, one year of Eligibility remaining and hasn't produced much at either of his first two Schools. Sorry. I don't need Someone on my roster with no proven production and One year left, and perhaps a guy Who won't be happy no matter where He is.

This is why I think You should change the transfer rule. We can all make a mistake, so You get the first transfer without losing a Year of Eligibility. But You better be sure about your choice. If you want to transfer a second time, You forfeit a Year of eligibility. If you want to continue to play football without forfeiting the year, drop down to a lower Division or NAIA.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
Good luck to the young man.

I'm never going to begrudge a player for doing what he thinks is best for him, especially when the NCAA is the cause of all this.

I find it odd these guys don’t want to move on with their life. You can’t play forever. Who wants to go play 1 year at Directional Michigan in front of 5,000 people after experiencing something like this? Just don’t get it.

Coach said something like the best ability is availability, and he hasn't had it. I don't remember if it was towards this guy.

Related I wonder if McCulley would have been getting more targets from Jackson in the next couple/few games since they played together quite a bit last year.

I find it odd these guys don’t want to move on with their life. You can’t play forever. Who wants to go play 1 year at Directional Michigan in front of 5,000 people after experiencing something like this? Just don’t get it.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE - Dani Rojas

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT