ADVERTISEMENT

Mgbako needs a lot of work....

He shoots before team gets set. He can't wrestle for a ball to save his life. He needs to get stronger and develop patience. Gunn is the same as he has never seen a shot that he won't take . Much to detriment of the team.
It's called shooting when you're open. Waiting for the offense to set just let's the defense set up too.

Welcome to 2013. Wait til you see Dell Curry's kid play. He's a wildman!

It's called shooting when you're open. Waiting for the offense to set just let's the defense set up too.

Welcome to 2013. Wait til you see Dell Curry's kid play. He's a wildman!
No, shooting before the offense sets up means either you make it or you sit. Stupid shot. No chance to rebound.

Steph Curry can shoot whenever he wants because he makes them.

Reactions: bbafficionado
He shoots before team gets set. He can't wrestle for a ball to save his life. He needs to get stronger and develop patience. Gunn is the same as he has never seen a shot that he won't take . Much to detriment of the team.
Mbako happens to be our best foul shooter (94%) by far. He's getting better and tries hard but needs to keep improving.

No, shooting before the offense sets up means either you make it or you sit. Stupid shot. No chance to rebound.

Steph Curry can shoot whenever he wants because he makes them.

You should rewatch 100 times the '87 final four game where IU dominated UNLV with Knights objective of shooting in the first 7 secs and then get back to this message board to retract your very bad take.

So so dumb.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Mbako happens to be our best foul shooter (94%) by far. He's getting better and tries hard but needs to keep improving.
I can’t believe how many times his shot has been blocked. He cannot get a lose ball. If he and another player both have their hands on the ball, there’s zero chance he ends up with the ball. It makes no sense. He looks to be built strong. Very passive. I’d love for him to get 6/8 open three shots a game.

• Wow
I can’t believe how many times his shot has been blocked. He cannot get a lose ball. If he and another player both have their hands on the ball, there’s zero chance he ends up with the ball. It makes no sense. He looks to be built strong. Very passive. I’d love for him to get 6/8 open three shots a game.
Weird takeaway from tonight. MM was a battler tonight.

Give the guy a break..

He is a freshman playing D1 basketball at the highest level & while he has inconsistencies on offense & defense; the kid brings a lot of other intangibles.. Solid FT shooter, active around the ball, making better drives & pass-outs, size, shoots a confidant 3.. He is growing with every game.. It is obvious..

I have zero issue with the type or amount of shots Mgbako is taking. In fact I think he should take a few more per game and not hesitate at all to pull the trigger. We need him to score for this team to reach its potential.
Yes, of all the drivel that spews here, Ware and Mac have to score. If Xavier or Newton could play, this would be a different team. They can't, so the paid talent has to score.

Last edited:
I guess I am expecting too much from him. I keeping expecting him to dominate the game and perform like stud freshman do for other teams.

I am glad we have him. Just wanting a lot more out of him based on his ranking coming in.
I really like him getting more aggressive driving, even if it means sometimes it's ugly. He's still learning, but producing at the same time.

I really like him getting more aggressive driving, even if it means sometimes it's ugly. He's still learning, but producing at the same time.
Definitely improving. I wish he had a mean streak.

Reactions: Beorik
So based on your logic, Xavier Booker is a complete bust already.

MM was ranked #9 last year & has lines of 9.5/4.1/1.4 - 95% FT, 8 double figure games & 18 minutes a game

Booker was ranked #16 last year & has lines of 3.6/1.5/.4 - 1 double figure game & 8 minutes a game

You should rewatch 100 times the '87 final four game where IU dominated UNLV with Knights objective of shooting in the first 7 secs and then get back to this message board to retract your very bad take.

So so dumb.
You don't understand what I am saying.

I didn't say don't push the tempo and try to get to rim. I said shooting- as in coming down and shooting jumpers early in the shot clock before anyone sets up.
IU was 2 for 4 from 3 in that game. Alford. Then he was 7 for 10 the next game. I don't need to rewatch it.

He has improved quite a lot and for a TF is doing great. He needs to continue to improve on his defensive awareness and his drives. If he can get stronger and more explosive, he will be very difficult to guard.

Give the guy a break..

He is a freshman playing D1 basketball at the highest level & while he has inconsistencies on offense & defense; the kid brings a lot of other intangibles.. Solid FT shooter, active around the ball, making better drives & pass-outs, size, shoots a confidant 3.. He is growing with every game.. It is obvious..
I'm not being too harsh on the kid just pointing out areas where he needs to improve. It's not like I'm not wanting him to get better,I do. It's just at times on D out on 3 he seems slow to react and down by the basket, he gets the rebound taken from him more than he should. His offense is getting better except those really quick shots while not giving teammates time to get in possible rebound situations. Walker kinda did the same thing last night too. You saw the outcome when there was movement and they worked the ball around well. Assists and made 3 pointers. I like the fact that Mgbako is a valuable free throw shooter. Trey needs work in that area. The Big Ten schedule is coming up and they will need these improvements to have success. Kudos to Trey on some really good penetration and passing off for those assists. Reneau was on fire. Great second have- maybe the best all year so far.

So based on your logic, Xavier Booker is a complete bust already.

MM was ranked #9 last year & has lines of 9.5/4.1/1.4 - 95% FT, 8 double figure games & 18 minutes a game

Booker was ranked #16 last year & has lines of 3.6/1.5/.4 - 1 double figure game & 8 minutes a game
...and the case rests...

What color glasses do Notre Dame fans wear?
I can't speak for all of them. Just as there are many here who understand the difference between construct criticism and just bashing kids. I try to point out areas the kid can work on without demeaning him. Gunn for instance needs to understand he has four other players out there and can drive and dish it off sometimes. Even the announcers said that on the fast break where he missed the layup. That's him just needing to be more aware. He's a good kid ,he just needs to understand some shots are ill advised. I've watched IU since Lou Watson/Bob Knight days so it isn't like I troll here. I want IU to get back to those FF days. And yes, I've loved ND football since the 60's starting when I was 6 years old.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Good. He can come back and play opposite side of the perimiter with Liam McNeeley with Leak playing off the post. How in the world Boogie didnt want the keys game one is mind numbing.

I can't speak for all of them. Just as there are many here who understand the difference between construct criticism and just bashing kids. I try to point out areas the kid can work on without demeaning him. Gunn for instance needs to understand he has four other players out there and can drive and dish it off sometimes. Even the announcers said that on the fast break where he missed the layup. That's him just needing to be more aware. He's a good kid ,he just needs to understand some shots are ill advised. I've watched IU since Lou Watson/Bob Knight days so it isn't like I troll here. I want IU to get back to those FF days. And yes, I've loved ND football since the 60's starting when I was 6 years old.
Experts, Announcers???

I seriously can't relate. I'm for IU in all sports. It's my alma mater, so rooting for another university instead of IU in any sport seems like total sacrilege. I also like ND as a kid, but going to IU meant I was an IU fan and not an ND fan.

Last edited:
like stud freshman do for other teams.
Who are? It's not like there's dozens of freshman dominating, in fact there's very few freshman even starting for major teams outside of UK ... 5th year and covid has changed the make up of teams rotations and they're more experienced then they were in the recent past.

fwiw Mack isn't doing that badly, his efficiency numbers are increasing every game. Slow start is impacting them.

Best freshman so far ... the only ones that can be considered as dominant consistently.

Walker - Baylor..
Castle - UConn (injured most of the year)
Sheppard - UK
Dillingham - UK

That's it .. but things will change.

This time last year, JHS had slid off the draft projections entirely just like Mack has.. X went down, JHS took over PG, destroyed Purdue and played his way into lottery ..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT