ADVERTISEMENT

Meleek Thomas visiting

Looks like Meleek Thomas is going to visit. I can’t remember so much talent coming to visit. Like 4 or 5 five stars etc. Wow have things changed
If we win this year, they will all start coming to. We have every other thing these recruits want. It is insane how much of a difference a year made under Woody.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If we win this year, they will all start coming to. We have every other thing these recruits want. It is insane how much of a difference a year made under Woody.
You are jumping the gun a little. Don't forget this team from last season was 9-11 in the conference and roughly one win better than the 2020 team. Until I see 13-16 conference wins I will not be making any declarations on the coaching. That isn't to say there isn't a good vibe and fan buzz in B-town. And those are good things for sure.

You are jumping the gun a little. Don't forget this team from last season was 9-11 in the conference and roughly one win better than the 2020 team. Until I see 13-16 conference wins I will not be making any declarations on the coaching. That isn't to say there isn't a good vibe and fan buzz in B-town. And those are good things for sure.
Last year was a top 20 team at the end of the year. They were all brand new working together. It would be naive to think familiarity wasn’t a big reason for not being top 25 last year.

Last year was a top 20 team at the end of the year. They were all brand new working together. It would be naive to think familiarity wasn’t a big reason for not being top 25 last year.
Depends what you mean by end of year.

we have some recency bias and how we look back on last year flipped during 20 minutes in the Big Ten tourney. We were down 17 to Michigan in that tourney, we don’t come back in that game and it’s NIT time.

We did come back and played like a top 20 team to close out that game, in the game versus the Illini and in the Iowa loss. But the committee didn’t see us like a top 20 team, but rather a team in a play in game.

it was exciting to see, though, and for many of us cemented our optimism coming into this year. So, we finally played like we were capable of and that’s the team I expect to see this year (especially TJD and X).

Reactions: aajohn2000
Depends what you mean by end of year.

we have some recency bias and how we look back on last year flipped during 20 minutes in the Big Ten tourney. We were down 17 to Michigan in that tourney, we don’t come back in that game and it’s NIT time.

We did come back and played like a top 20 team to close out that game, in the game versus the Illini and in the Iowa loss. But the committee didn’t see us like a top 20 team, but rather a team in a play in game.

it was exciting to see, though, and for many of us cemented our optimism coming into this year. So, we finally played like we were capable of and that’s the team I expect to see this year (especially TJD and X).
Yeah, hard to think we were playing "like a top 20 team" to end the year being down so much to UM, getting blasted by St Marys, and getting beaten by IA. Safer to say we were playing better to end the season and like a Top 20 team at times probably.

Reactions: IUgradman
Safer to say we were playing better to end the season and like a Top 20 team at times probably.
Agreed, I thought we underperformed all season long (until the BTT) but that does get skewed a little as we had trouble closing out games.

the BTT was exciting, partly because we have decades of laying an egg in the tourney. We had great fan support in that tourney. The play in game in Dayton was pretty much a gift, playing a team from out west on short notice with the game basically in our back yard.

hmmmmm. So I would assume you say we returned the gift to St. Marys? That was the most BS play in, fly to the other side of the country, plane delayed BS, I have ever seen.
And lets talk about how we got screwed even having to play that play in game... We should have been a normal 10 seed and things could have been much much different.

This IU team has three 5* TJD, JHS, Reneau, experienced Seniors Race & X, a borderline 5* in Bates, explosive athlete Geronimo, Swiss Army knife high effort BB IQ Galloway, potential lights out shooters Kopp, Leal, Gunn, precocious scoring wing Banks, a beefed up Duncomb who dominated Furst in HS AAU. The 5* need to lead this team no matter their age I think the inside outside 5* starting duo of TJD & JHS will be a thing of beauty to watch.

hmmmmm. So I would assume you say we returned the gift to St. Marys? That was the most BS play in, fly to the other side of the country, plane delayed BS, I have ever seen.
What made it so bad was that we played 4 games in a row, but that was our “fault”. We needed each of those games just to get to the play in game.

The better scenario is earning a much higher seed over the course of the season, losing in the first round of the conference tourney, avoiding the play in game and getting rested/healthy.

st Mary’s had a huge advantage over us in that game, no doubt. They earned it though. As a play in team you take what they give you. We had all season to earn a higher seed.

Reactions: MG80 and UncleMark
What made it so bad was that we played 4 games in a row, but that was our “fault”. We needed each of those games just to get to the play in game.

The better scenario is earning a much higher seed over the course of the season, losing in the first round of the conference tourney, avoiding the play in game and getting rested/healthy.

st Mary’s had a huge advantage over us in that game, no doubt. They earned it though. As a play in team you take what they give you. We had all season to earn a higher seed.
I was positive we were in after MI, giving us the play in after we beat IL was complete horse shit.

Maybe we are NIT bound if we lose to the Illini? I’m not on the committee so I have no clue.
We will never know, but that damn tourney is a money scheme and they got the best ratings ever for the play in last year. They aren't dumb, and if it's close they just go for money IMO. IL won the league and we beat them on a neutral court. Monster win... Play in? Horse shit!!!!

We will never know, but that damn tourney is a money scheme and they got the best ratings ever for the play in last year. They aren't dumb, and if it's close they just go for money IMO.
I’m looking forward to a debate in seeding/matchups where we are actually an elite seed.

so sick of always talking about the bubble.

Reactions: kkott and BigMobe
I’m looking forward to a debate in seeding/matchups where we are actually an elite seed.

so sick of always talking about the bubble.
Oh trust me, if we are on the bubble this year I will end it. I'll let you interpret what end it means.

Oh trust me, if we are on the bubble this year I will end it. I'll let you interpret what end it means.
would that be your love affair with one tamar {YOU CALL HIM SCOOP TO SHOW HOW TIGHT YOU ARE } bates, could it be your optimistic outlook at all things IU? could it be your sobriety? don't leave things up to us to interpret, causes one's mind to race

And lets talk about how we got screwed even having to play that play in game... We should have been a normal 10 seed and things could have been much much different.
If the Nw fhck up game never happened and come out of Evanston with a win, I coulda seen that 10 seed.

Looks like Meleek Thomas is going to visit. I can’t remember so much talent coming to visit. Like 4 or 5 five stars etc. Wow have things changed
That is great but if we cannot land any of them it is meaningless. We need to get a few of them.

Reactions: birdforbogey
That is great but if we cannot land any of them it is meaningless. We need to get a few of them.
Agreed. I’m amused at how some people fawn over how great of a job Indiana did recruiting Arrinten Page or Jaime Kaiser. Neither committed to Indiana. Recruiting you either get the kid or you didn’t. No coach has ever gotten credit for kids they almost landed.

Reactions: bailey777
would that be your love affair with one tamar {YOU CALL HIM SCOOP TO SHOW HOW TIGHT YOU ARE } bates, could it be your optimistic outlook at all things IU? could it be your sobriety? don't leave things up to us to interpret, causes one's mind to race
His parents and sisters call him Scoop, I almost feel awkward calling him Tamar at this point.

If the Nw fhck up game never happened and come out of Evanston with a win, I coulda seen that 10 seed.
I agree, that's why we fired Fife for accusing half the team of being high. Was a fireable offense. Cant say half the team is high and need to suspend them and drug tests come back negative.

His parents and sisters call him Scoop, I almost feel awkward calling him Tamar at this point.
Based on style of play I’d prefer Galloway as scoop. He gets almost half his shot attempts at the rim, and his % there is almost as good as Race. But, then again who knows if the nickname even has to do with basketball.

Based on style of play I’d prefer Galloway as scoop. He gets almost half his shot attempts at the rim, and his % there is almost as good as Race. But, then again who knows if the nickname even has to do with basketball.
yep, I'll bet it's because he's an ace reporter (don't tell McNutt!)!

Agreed. I’m amused at how some people fawn over how great of a job Indiana did recruiting Arrinten Page or Jaime Kaiser. Neither committed to Indiana. Recruiting you either get the kid or you didn’t. No coach has ever gotten credit for kids they almost landed.
Exactly the way people were talking about Page earlier on I thought he was a done deal to IU. In the end I dont think we were even in the top two. Being in say the top 7 of a five star and getting a visit doesnt really matter unless you can get in the top two or three and have a real shot at them.

Reactions: Sobchak_Security
Exactly the way people were talking about Page earlier on I thought he was a done deal to IU. In the end I dont think we were even in the top two. Being in say the top 7 of a five star and getting a visit doesnt really matter unless you can get in the top two or three and have a real shot at them.

It usually follows that a school is first mentioned by top recruits, then that school gets visits. Add in some winning and the signing will take care of themselves. This is the year that Mike proves whether he should be here on not, IMO.

Have ya ever seen the SNL Debbie Downer skits?

Woody has to really get into these kids heads that they haven't proved anything yet. The high pre-season rankings and all the talk worry me. We are more likely than not to get at least one, maybe two loses during the tough non-con schedule, maybe even a beat-down. IMO It's all going to be about how we respond and grow and the on-court and locker room leadership we get from the upperclassman. Also, Woody has to grow as a coach. There were times last year where it was very obvious that he was new to the college coaching experience. The players both like and respect him, which is good. But he has to improve as a tactician, especially on offense, and how he uses his personnel. Yes, a big big year for him and the boys, and us fans.

Reactions: IUgradman
Woody has to really get into these kids heads that they haven't proved anything yet. The high pre-season rankings and all the talk worry me. We are more likely than not to get at least one, maybe two loses during the tough non-con schedule, maybe even a beat-down. IMO It's all going to be about how we respond and grow and the on-court and locker room leadership we get from the upperclassman. Also, Woody has to grow as a coach. There were times last year where it was very obvious that he was new to the college coaching experience. The players both like and respect him, which is good. But he has to improve as a tactician, especially on offense, and how he uses his personnel. Yes, a big big year for him and the boys, and us fans.
No pun intended, but the X factor to me on this team is Xavier. If he can keep his head on his shoulders and be a strong floor general and run the show as a veteran PG, I like our chances in all these games. I also think that TJD has become a very outspoken leader. Player leadership and of course SHOOTING has been our problem. One is controllable and fixable. The shooting along with our 5th year senior PG's ability to be calm and cool and run the show are the two big X factors, IMO.

If we lose all four marquee games, we will not be ranked anymore.
If we win one, may stay 20-25.
Win two of the four and we are 10-15.
Win three of the four and we are easily in the top 10.
Win all 4 and we are likely number one in the country.

Looking forward to the first game here in a few weeks.

Reactions: birdforbogey
This IU team has three 5* TJD, JHS, Reneau, experienced Seniors Race & X, a borderline 5* in Bates, explosive athlete Geronimo, Swiss Army knife high effort BB IQ Galloway, potential lights out shooters Kopp, Leal, Gunn, precocious scoring wing Banks, a beefed up Duncomb who dominated Furst in HS AAU. The 5* need to lead this team no matter their age I think the inside outside 5* starting duo of TJD & JHS will be a thing of beauty to watch.
Lights out shooter Kopp, Leal, and Gunn? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Reactions: Lucy01
I am with you. Show me on the court. I don't get into hype about individual players or teams. I want to see how they play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT