ADVERTISEMENT

Maurice Freeman in the portal

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021

Last I heard he was playing linebacker and wasn't high on the depth chart. I heard lots of good things about this kid's intangibles, bummer to see him go. If I had to put an optimistic spin on it, maybe the reason was Kaiden Turner passed him on the depth chart, which means he impressed the coaches in camp. That's total speculation but that's the most logical reason for a kid that seemed to really enjoy his time at IU. 9/10 times when people seem content with their school and choose to transfer it's because of PT.

Reactions: vesuvius13
He is probably one of several that will transfer now that Spring practice is over. Some players unhappy at were they stand on the depth chart will enter the portal.
Very true, it's just surprising considering how young he is, usually it's 3rd and 4th years that have been hopped by 2nd/3rd years, Freeman is only a 2nd year so there aren't a ton of kids he should believe just based on class that he should be higher than on the depth chart, the only one in his position group that is younger than him is Kaiden.

Reactions: vesuvius13
A poll of the current generation [young adults] said they would rather be unemployed rather than have a job they didn't like.
Yikes...the perpetual coddling of Gen Z and Millenials is starting to catch up to society, as a Gen Z'er myself, I can say we get way too coddled by our current school system, some kids desperately need to work a part time job in high school just so they can get a taste of what the real world is like.

There will be a bunch of kids in the portal now IU and all others will be actively looking for potential targets:

Stephon Wynn - 4 years at Alabama. Give him a call. DL.

Tymon Mitchell- come on down! You are the next contestant on the “Portal Is Right.”

I’ll take the backups at the #1 and #2 teams in the nation if it means a win or two here and there.

There will be a bunch of kids in the portal now IU and all others will be actively looking for potential targets:

Stephon Wynn - 4 years at Alabama. Give him a call. DL.

Tymon Mitchell- come on down! You are the next contestant on the “Portal Is Right.”

I’ll take the backups at the #1 and #2 teams in the nation if it means a win or two here and there.
I am sure IU will be active in the portal in the coming months.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yikes...the perpetual coddling of Gen Z and Millenials is starting to catch up to society, as a Gen Z'er myself, I can say we get way too coddled by our current school system, some kids desperately need to work a part time job in high school just so they can get a taste of what the real world is like.

When I was a young man...charging up the corporate ladder (reaching the C-Suite before starting my own consulting firm)...I remember worrying about turning 40 and a bunch of young folks would light the world on fire and supplant me. What would I do? Where would I go for work? How could I possibly reinvent myself at 40, 45, 50?

I'm pushing into my late 50s now...I got no kids in my rear view mirror...It was not what I expected.

That’s not coddling. That’s life is too short, enjoy it. Just as your coach would do if they had an opportunity to jump ship. Just as every employee can and should do if they have a better opportunity available to them.

Now, the grass is not always greener but that’s the chance you take. None of that is “coddling” and none of that has to do with the “real world”.

That’s not coddling. That’s life is too short, enjoy it. Just as your coach would do if they had an opportunity to jump ship. Just as every employee can and should do if they have a better opportunity available to them.

Now, the grass is not always greener but that’s the chance you take. None of that is “coddling” and none of that has to do with the “real world”.
Just not a good response bud, you realize I was responding to the poll Vesuvius referenced saying young people would rather be unemployed than work somewhere they didn't like. The coddling I'm referring to has nothing to do with the transfer portal or Freeman's decision to leave. It was solely addressing the poll Vesuvius brought up.

But since you went there if we're talking about "better opportunities", what exactly are you referring to? The opportunity to play at a lower level school where it's easier to get PT because the talent level of players you are competing against is lower, that's better? In the last two years we've had one guy transfer up, as in transfer to a program definitively better than Indiana and that would be Penix, who realistically would've transferred down had Deboer not gotten the HC job at UW. A couple guys have transferred to a program about even with IU(RT, Damarjhe Lewis and Sampson James going to Purdue), and the vast majority transferred to GO5 schools where PT would be significantly less challenging. Most kids(at least the ones from Indiana) that enter the portal transfer down in an effort to get PT. It's like American soccer players choosing to stay in the MLS where they know they're going to start every week, rather than challenging themselves and going to Europe where the LOC is significantly better, so you have to earn a spot in the starting 11 every week. You can call it better opportunities, but in reality especially for guys as young as Freeman it's just an easier and quicker path onto the field.

Just not a good response bud, you realize I was responding to the poll Vesuvius referenced saying young people would rather be unemployed than work somewhere they didn't like. The coddling I'm referring to has nothing to do with the transfer portal or Freeman's decision to leave. It was solely addressing the poll Vesuvius brought up.

But since you went there if we're talking about "better opportunities", what exactly are you referring to? The opportunity to play at a lower level school where it's easier to get PT because the talent level of players you are competing against is lower, that's better? In the last two years we've had one guy transfer up, as in transfer to a program definitively better than Indiana and that would be Penix, who realistically would've transferred down had Deboer not gotten the HC job at UW. A couple guys have transferred to a program about even with IU(RT, Damarjhe Lewis and Sampson James going to Purdue), and the vast majority transferred to GO5 schools where PT would be significantly less challenging. Most kids(at least the ones from Indiana) that enter the portal transfer down in an effort to get PT. It's like American soccer players choosing to stay in the MLS where they know they're going to start every week, rather than challenging themselves and going to Europe where the LOC is significantly better, so you have to earn a spot in the starting 11 every week. You can call it better opportunities, but in reality especially for guys as young as Freeman it's just an easier and quicker path onto the field.
Congrats on walking straight into the ****ing point 😂

IU accepted 11 of those ****ing quitters this season alone. Different era I guess…
I agree on guys like Jaren Handy and Cam Buckley, clearly they weren't good in the locker room even if they were talented. But IMO it's different if you leave really late in your career. I would never call guys like Shivers or Stephen Carr quitters, they stuck it out with their schools and earned their degrees. But their role was going to diminish if exist at all in 2022 and 2021 respectively, so they decided to go somewhere they would actually see the field with their final year of eligibility after grinding as role players for four years. Guy's that leave after 1-2 years still have plenty of time and potential to earn PT and choose to take the easy road.

Last I heard he was playing linebacker and wasn't high on the depth chart. I heard lots of good things about this kid's intangibles, bummer to see him go. If I had to put an optimistic spin on it, maybe the reason was Kaiden Turner passed him on the depth chart, which means he impressed the coaches in camp. That's total speculation but that's the most logical reason for a kid that seemed to really enjoy his time at IU. 9/10 times when people seem content with their school and choose to transfer it's because of PT.
I heard he was now very high on the depth chart & in line for considerable PT this season. This is an unpleasant surprise & one that stings a bit. A lot was expected of Freeman by CTA & the staff.

Whatever happened to the novel approach of continuing to work hard and earning your spot - different era I guess….
Who said these kids don't "continue to work hard"? They aren't leaving for a lack of effort, they are leaving because even with the effort they see a lack of PT. Often times a new situation can result in better circumstances for PT or how they're being used.

In the past those kids would ride out 4 years and maybe never play at all. What kind of badge of honor should these kids be looking for?

Yothn - good take, not saying he’s not working hard,with the portal it just seems it is easy to get mad and leave if you face adversity- I have no knowledge on his situation and wish him well, I just had high hopes for that kid as a Hoosier. Skippy, sorry I got you upset, choking players…? Goodness.

Reactions: mk30 and vesuvius13
I find a lot of these kids leave due to Playing time, then the next season injuries happen and they would have had their chance. A little more patience would likely serve them well.

For the most part, most of the one who have left we’re not major starters or contributors. Most have not gone to bigger programs either.

I wish them all well but once they leave, next man up as I’m only truly Interested in those still at IU. And I bet he was not running with the 1’s or 2’s if he left.

Yothn - good take, not saying he’s not working hard,with the portal it just seems it is easy to get mad and leave if you face adversity- I have no knowledge on his situation and wish him well, I just had high hopes for that kid as a Hoosier. Skippy, sorry I got you upset, choking players…? Goodness.
An IU basketball coach did it before. I’m surprised you never heard about it…

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
***BREAKING NEW*** Current generation of kids are the most miserable that have ever been recorded. Even a broken clock can be right.
Hate to be the one to break it to you. People 25 years older than you said it about your generation. People 25 years older than them said it about their generation. In 25 years, the kids these days will be hitting middle age and saying it about the next generation. It's the circle of life.

Reactions: ESalum86 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT