ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Turnover

Great Information.. Actually it looks like we traded a bunch of guys who almost all landed at lower level schools for mostly Power 5 guys. It looks like a good trade-off on paper.
That's the way I surmise IU's portal gets equal more positive possibilities than the portal departures. What should be contrarian about an upgraded roster, coaching staff and Coach Allen calling the D again? More spark this year for sure if the QB can make good decisions. Illinois on BTN Saturday. We'll see what they've got against the Cowboys who may offer a game.

Reactions: 76-1
MSU had a great use of portal, and in IU’s case the player for player exchange is not even close, IU had almost 100% upgrades.

I think they have gotten rid of some bad attitudes and less than stellar players and gotten a legit talent upgrade across the board.

Reactions: grammy2 and 76-1
There were strong rumors of it at Auburn related to why an injury was never discussed with him and why he was away from the team for two games, as I’m sure you were aware.Plenty of smoke that it was a disciplinary issue.

From the Opeleika Auburn News article:

“Auburn running back Shaun Shivers, receiver Ja’Varrius Johnson and cornerback Jaylin Simpson will not be in action against Alabama State. Shivers was not seen during pregame warm-ups, while Johnson and Simpson were was on hand but were in street clothes.”

Just passing along what I have read and heard. Hope whatever troubles, if any, are behind him and that his year with us is a positive and productive one.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 76-1
There were strong rumors of it at Auburn related to why an injury was never discussed with him and why he was away from the team for two games, as I’m sure you were aware.Plenty of smoke that it was a disciplinary issue.

From the Opeleika Auburn News article:

“Auburn running back Shaun Shivers, receiver Ja’Varrius Johnson and cornerback Jaylin Simpson will not be in action against Alabama State. Shivers was not seen during pregame warm-ups, while Johnson and Simpson were was on hand but were in street clothes.”

Just passing along what I have read and heard. Hope whatever troubles, if any, are behind him and that his year with us is a positive and productive one.

Looks like he was out due to injury.

Good talk.

“Unable to practice this week”.

What do you think that means?
In this case, there were rumors at AU that it meant something other than an injury. Since this article mentions nothing about an injury to SS, it probably adds some smoke to that belief. Hope that helps.

In this case, there were rumors at AU that it meant something other than an injury. Since this article mentions nothing about an injury to SS, it probably adds some smoke to that belief. Hope that helps.

What, other than an injury or bereavement, would leave Shivers “unable to practice”?

I will assure you that at this level, a player who is missing multiple games due to a disciplinary issue is in fact practicing, and practicing harder than any other player on the team.

Please share/discuss these AU “rumors”. You don’t post as a pretend Tiger fan on their forums as well do you?

What, other than an injury or bereavement, would leave Shivers “unable to practice”?

I will assure you that at this level, a player who is missing multiple games due to a disciplinary issue is in fact practicing, and practicing harder than any other player on the team.

Please share/discuss these AU “rumors”. You don’t post as a pretend Tiger fan on their forums as well do you?
Is he buddies with X? Was he in the car when X got arrested? o_O

Just telling you what the rumors were at AU, specifically that he was “away from the team”.

Just telling you what the rumors were at AU, specifically that he was “away from the team”.

You haven’t provided or shared what these “rumors” were supposedly saying.

Look genius, it’s not hard to connect the dots here.

Shivers absence from the team aligns perfectly with the global pandemic. Shivers inability to practice and his noted absence from the sideline on game day can be perfectly attributed to contracting COVID-19 and his isolation and quarantine explains his time away from the team. But you knew this already.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackskip23 and 76-1
Consider this unofficial info but I compared the 2021 roster with the 2022 roster. There are 112 players listed on the current 2022 roster on the iufb website. I counted 56 players from last year's squad who either graduated, declared for the NFL draft, entered the transfer portal or otherwise left. That's literally half of the roster. I realize the transfer portal has changed the offseason dynamic but this still seems like a very high number. Taken together with the coaching turnover / new coordinators it may be unrealistic not to expect some growing pains.

(Note: I am more than happy to crowdsource this. Feel free to add additional info if you have it or to correct any mistakes I have unintentionally made. I don't have an editor to bail me out lol. I just ask for a source - if you don't have one I won't make an update.)

OUT

NFL
Micah McFadden - LB (New York Giants, Round 5)
Ryder Anderson - DL (New York Giants, Free Agent)
Peyton Hendershot - TE (Dallas Cowboys, Free Agent)
Caleb Jones - OL (Green Bay Packers, Free Agent)
Raheem Layne - DB (San Diego Chargers, Free Agent)
Marcelino McCrary-Ball - DB (San Francisco 49ers, Free Agent)
Ty Fryfogle - WR (Free Agent)

Graduated
Thomas Allen - LB
Jawan Burgess - DB
Stephen Carr - RB
Gabe Cohen - DB
Nick Marozas - OL
Charlie O'Connor - OL
Dylan Powll - OL
Aidan Rafferty - OL
Jared Smolar - K
Chase Washington - DB
Michael Ziemba - LB

Transfer Portal - Out (After Season)
Matt Bjorson - TE (Miami, OH)
Cameron Buckley - WR (Jackson State)
Chris Childers - RB (San Diego)
Davion Ervin-Poindexter - RB (Western Kentucky)
Brad Feeney - OL (Colgate)
Maurice Freeman - DB (Liberty)
Shamar Jones - DL (Chatanooga)
Jordan Jusevitch - DB (Indiana State)
Jonathan King - DL (Alabama A&M)
Luke Lane - OL (Chatanooga)
Miles Marshall - WR (Miami, OH)
James Miller - LB (South Alabama)
Michael Penix - QB (Washington)
Reese Taylor - CB (Purdue)
Jordyn Williams - WR (Jackson State)
Ty Wise - LB (Miami, OH)
Chase Wyatt - K/P (Ball State)
Andy Buttrell - OL
Joseph Daniels JR - CB
Jaren Handy - DL
Asher King - K
Gavin McCabe - DL
Zach Merrill - QB
Larry Smith III - DB
Cameron Williams - LB

Transfer Portal - Out (Before 2021 Season Ended)
Tim Baldwin Jr - RB (Umass)
D.K. Bonhomme - DL (South Alabama)
Jacolby Hewitt - WR (Florida International)
C.J. Person - DL (South Alabama)
Khameron Taylor - TE (Missouri State)
Larry Tracy III - DB (Illinois State)
Juan Harris - DL
Da'Shaun Brown - WR (Arrested)

Other
David Ellis - RB / KR (Injury / Medical)
Deland McCullough II - DB (Injury / Medical)
Connor Delp - WR (Suspended)
Christian Love - DL (?)*
DeKaleb Thomas - DB (?)*
Antoine Whitner - DL (?)

*Redshirt Junior in 2021 so they may have graduated but I couldn't find confirmation of this.

IN

Transfer Portal - In

Connor Bazelak - QB (Missouri)
Jared Casey - LB (Kentucky)
Adison Coby - WR (Tennessee)
LeDarrius Cox - DL (Ole Miss)
Parker Hannah - OL (West Texas A&M)
Josh Henderson - RB (North Carolina)
Myles Jackson - OLB (UCLA)
Bradley Jennings Jr - LB (Miami)
Brylan Lanier - DB (Alabama)
Patrick Lucas Jr - DL (Ole Miss)
Shaun Shivers - RB (Auburn)
Emmory Simmons - WR (North Carolina)
JH Tevis - DL (California)
Cam Camper - WR (Trinity Valley CC)
Louis Moore - DB (Navarro College)

Transfers by Conference
SEC - 7
ACC - 3
Pac-12 - 1

Other - 3

Recruiting Class (Ranked 19th in the Nation by Rivals and 25th by 247)
Dasan McCullough - DL
Omar Cooper - WR
Trevell Mullen - DB
Nick James - DL
DJ Moore - OL
Venson Sneed - DL
Cam Camper - WR
Richard Thomas - DL
Brody Foley - TE
James Monds III - DB
Ryan Miller - TE
Jaylin Lucas - ATH
Jamari Sharpe - DB
Phillip Dunnam - DB
Carter Smith - OL
Bray Lynch - OL
Brendan Sorsby - QB
Isaiah Jones - LB
Kaiden Turner - LB
J'mari Monette - DL
Kamryn Perry - WR
Louis Moore - WR

Recruits By State
Florida - 7
Ohio - 4
Indiana - 3
Texas - 3
Louisiana - 2
Georgia - 1
Arkansas - 1

Michael Penix is joining Coach Kalen DeBoer in Washington and D.K. Bonhomme, James Miller and C.J. Person are all joining Coach Kane Wommack at South Alabama.
THREE players from Indiana? If we recruited the state half as well as Wisconsin and Iowa do theirs, we’d pick up 3 more wins a season. Yes I’m aware we compete against Purdue and Notre Dame but ND take maybe 1-2 per year from the State and we just have to get 50% of the remaining ones. We couldn’t even beat out Ball State for Carson Steele because we thought our RBs were a game changers. Carson Sttele and Spiegel would have helped us beat Nebraska and Maryland. Instead we end up with guys who make a big play or two followed by a lot of 3 and outs. A football player os better than a guy who plays football and looks good on paper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT