ADVERTISEMENT

matt jones thinks Kentucky going to part ways with

I think Mitch keeps Cal. No obvious successor. Change up some assistants and try again next year.

I’m hearing Donovan was in Lexington looking for land for his horses.. trust me this from an high level source.. I’m not kidding

Reactions: brianiu
I hope they do. It’ll put them into a death spiral. Nobody wants that job. It’s a career killer. Cal had the ego for it. There’s only 2 or 3 guys currently on the planet that could succeed there right now and one coaches St John’s and the other 2 are in the NBA.
Heard the same thing after Tubby, After BCG...

Reactions: GGary
R2,
Had been led to believe UK was focusing on Oats for two reasons:
1. His uptempo play
2. Bama bball is surging and UK wants to end that.

Yes or no?
Haven’t heard or read anything about that 2nd point. Oats was recently extended with a decent sized buyout. Matt Jones is reporting that the first call UK would make. Would be to Jay Wright.

Haven’t heard or read anything about that 2nd point. Oats was recently extended with a decent sized buyout. Matt Jones is reporting that the first call UK would make. Would be to Jay Wright.
Bama doesn’t seem to have any killers on their roster this year but looks like they will be in the S16..

Reactions: RunninRichie
Do you think Wright wants to get back into coaching?

Matt Jones is 50/50 btw on if a change is made.

I doubt Jay Wright jumps into the NIL madhouse world of bball.

Bow wonder managing the Celtics is like MJ going to play for the Sox. A waste of talent!
Not if he enjoys that more. Coaching college is a never -ending meat grinder. Some folks thrive on it, but some tire of it. Pro gigs are still all-consuming, but you eliminate boosters, alumni, NCAA, admin/BOT, recruiting, fund-raising, coaching clinics... Gives you a much more manageable life overall I would think.

What the hell? We're getting Donovan?

daffy-duck.gif
That would be very good for UK. Major difference between his pro and college records and doubt he is happy with the results in Chicago.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
I
Not if he enjoys that more. Coaching college is a never -ending meat grinder. Some folks thrive on it, but some tire of it. Pro gigs are still all-consuming, but you eliminate boosters, alumni, NCAA, admin/BOT, recruiting, fund-raising, coaching clinics... Gives you a much more manageable life overall I would think.
Yes....the insanity of college coaching is a reason to say No....The only thing more insane is the amount of money these guys are getting paid today. When the bag is bigger than the brain.....they say Yes.

It just occurred to me that if IU placed a life-size cardboard cutout of Woodson on the sidelines...you know, one with the battery-powered, motion-sensored recording that spouts off 3 or 4 different comments....like the Halloween yard decorations do.....we could save a ton of money, and Woodson could play more golf. On second thought....we may have already done that. Never mind.

It just occurred to me that if IU placed a life-size cardboard cutout of Woodson on the sidelines...you know, one with the battery-powered, motion-sensored recording that spouts off 3 or 4 different comments....like the Halloween yard decorations do.....we could save a ton of money, and Woodson could play more golf. On second thought....we may have already done that. Never mind.
The joke about Billy Tubbs at OK was that his job was to roll out the basketballs at start of practice.

Of course he is .. the dude won something like 80% of the games at Kentucky
Latest trend not so good, and they have a pretty high standard there. He's also made a lot of enemies over the years.

Biggest issue they seem to have is no great replacement. If they could bring in 2008 Cal (who was a perfect fit at the time), they would fire 2024 Cal.

Latest trend not so good, and they have a pretty high standard there. He's also made a lot of enemies over the years.

Biggest issue they seem to have is no great replacement. If they could bring in 2008 Cal (who was a perfect fit at the time), they would fire 2024 Cal.
So it turns out that Cal is "too big to fail" afterall? Wow....place could get toxic down there before its over.

Cal staying put at UK shocks me.
Tourney is not over so it may be a pending decision/announcement.

I think Calipari is daring, probably hoping, UK to fire him so he can leave UK with a $33M check.

So it turns out that Cal is "too big to fail" afterall? Wow....place could get toxic down there before its over.
UK is probably putting feelers out to Stevens, Wright, and Donovan, among others, but discreetly, lest they publicly, repeatedly, and likely get turned down by their preferred choices. A big part of UK’s recruiting approach is selling the brand. They are very anxious about coaches telling them no, which the coaches mentioned above are likely to do.

Rumor is (rank rumor) SMU wants Cal and they are moving to big east. That is the school that well to do parents send their not so academic children to make sure diploma so deep pockets.

• Wow
Reactions: Tammany Hall
Easy to see the quality difference. The IU posters here always check their facts and speculation is thoroughly researched to ensure logically supported. Runnin on the other hand brings bad information to gum up our well oiled message board.
Lol, I was talking about one of your posters who posted that. Reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT