ADVERTISEMENT

matt jones thinks Kentucky going to part ways with

33 million buyout, and they don't care, just spoke with matt thinks some recruits may open backup. might put boogie back in play. our nil aint shit compared to what they got. I would say they keep the class intact. said Sheppard would take a pay cut to go to NBA

Definitely not anything worth a ton…but I know someone fairly connected with UK bball…and he said it is a possibility…and he knows there are some very influential people that will “do whatever it takes” to make Billy Donovan happen…if Calipari is done.

He said it’s mostly Caliparis decision though at this point.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Definitely not anything worth a ton…but I know someone fairly connected with UK bball…and he said it is a possibility…and he knows there are some very influential people that will “do whatever it takes” to make Billy Donovan happen…if Calipari is done.

He said it’s mostly Caliparis decision though at this point.
its Barnhards decision

And my dude says he’s talking with Calipari about it. The implication was Calipari could talk his way in to keeping his job, but he’s not sure he’ll want to. And they’ll work on some sort of negotiated buyout.
Cal to UL

Because….hey, why not?

Kentucky is going to fire John Calipari and make a run at Billy D. like nobody's brother....or sister. They won't trade down. After years of harping on this as IU's solution...when that happens...I am going to be like Val Kilmer and his whore in "Tombstone"...when he said "It appears that we must redefine the nature of our association". This one won't be forgiven.

And my dude says he’s talking with Calipari about it. The implication was Calipari could talk his way in to keeping his job, but he’s not sure he’ll want to. And they’ll work on some sort of negotiated buyout.
mitch has been told do what you want the money is not an issue. so sure, he can talk himself back into the job. but its not Cals decision

UKs administration isnt whacko like IU's is. It's all good while UK,UL, OSU, Depaul and Michigan better their situations while IU sticks with the clueless old duck.
Those last two words threw me for a second. Thought it said “odd duck” and I immediately thought I’d entered a time warp of some kind and Crean was still on the bench. 😳

• Haha
Reactions: CriticArisen
I’m talking if Billy D comes back to college, UK is the fit. They’re big, fairly well run, and very serious.

Brad isn’t coming back to college and if he did UK probably isn’t a fit with him.

I will not tolerate any slander of Boy Wonder btw, the Celts gig is good we can’t blame him 😉.
I love the guy too. Attended both FF games in Indy proudly sporting Bulldogs gear and was stunned Hayward’s heave didn’t find net. I felt that whole deal was completely ordained. Alas.

But that damn Mass-hole comment was over the line. F him and his uppity bride.

On the other hand, if there’s a breaking report during tomorrow’s games that he’s headed to Bloomington and Woody’s retired simultaneously, ALL IS FORGIVEN!

Sleeping giant. Are you old enough to have seen Ray and Joey coach? The point OP made is excruciatingly pertinent.
Ray had some great teams but could always rely on landing stars from within the Chicago public school talent pool. With NIL those days are long gone.

Joey was a nice guy but a subpar coach

Hell there are probably more IU fans in Chicago than DePaul fans today.

Last edited:
Reactions: jet812 and nichlee
IU and Mayberry deserve a bit of leeway at the moment. The little hamlet just got its first honest-to-goodness interstate to come through town. The town didn’t like it all that much. Progress is bad and it brings too many of those city folk to town.
IU needs to do what the other 17 schools in the conference are doing: all eggs in the football basket. That’s the future of the conference. Basketball will take care of itself. It appears to do so at the other schools in the conference. Hire a competent coach and put it on cruise control.

Two eye openers have been reported on this story....First, Kentucky has the money to fund the buyout. Two: The university is going to back the AD whichever way he decides to go.

Imagine that....the university actually vesting the authority in the AD to make the decision...and then backing his play. Meanwhile.....back in Bloomington......
We were very fortunate to have a Chairman of the Board that knew a particular otherwise unemployable candidate was the best human being he ever knew and could communicate that with golf stories. I pity UK that they don’t have this stroke of luck that we enjoyed.

It would be a darn fine thing for IU to offer Quinn’s assistance with their coaching search. We are neighbors.

If I was writing a fantasy novel with a happy ending this is where UK would hire CMW away from IU. Spare no expense-we have to have him. Two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
I wonder how much they would have to tempt Hurley. That would be an effin disaster. There is a boatload of work to do prior to 2025-2026 KY game.

Last edited:
I think I may have done it and worked through the five stages of basketball grief. Denial lasted too long, Anger was maybe 20 years or so, Negotiation didn’t help giving up meat for Lent all these years did nothing, Depression lasted far too long, so now maybe at Acceptance and rooting along with IUNorth in the bottom of the dumpster delighted finding anything that doesn’t smell too bad.

For $9 mil the list must look something like
CMW (Coach Mike Woodson)
Stevens
Donovan
Hurley
Oates
Pitino
Hubert Davis
Few

Self makes much more than this, around $12 I believe.

Last edited:
I don't go to Rupp Rafters or WTF it's called, but I do have a couple posts on my FB feed concerning this issue. I read some of the comments. Seems like they want Pitino, Jay Wright or Sampson more so than Donovan. This is the fan base speaking, obviously and not the AD.

What the hell? We're getting Donovan?

daffy-duck.gif

I hope they do. It’ll put them into a death spiral. Nobody wants that job. It’s a career killer. Cal had the ego for it. There’s only 2 or 3 guys currently on the planet that could succeed there right now and one coaches St John’s and the other 2 are in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT