ADVERTISEMENT

MacAfee just talked for a bit about Cig and IU...

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
The hype is building. I guess no matter what happens, I love it. But the more guys like MacAfee "glaze" him, to use lingo from my teenagers...The more likely him getting plucked sooner rather than later.

Also...if you watch the clip...look at AJ Hawk's smug typical Ohio State smirk. God I'd love for nothing more than IU to go in and ruin their season later in the year. Like quite a lot more than winning the bucket even.

IU paid Allen over $5 million/year. I definitely think Scott could bump Cignetti over $6 million with raises for his staff and more NIL funds. The issue is Florida is paying Napier $7.3 million/year.

If Cignetti does leave then I think Shanahan, Sunseri, or Haines should be pursued as candidates for the head coaching position.

Last edited:
Other ADs notice and follow the results, they don’t listen to entertainer types like McAfee.

This is great for our brand and image/awareness with recruits. Also helps get the word out to casual fans that IU may be improving.
If he becomes a regular guy that MacAfee talks about, that will have quite a lot more impact than you're giving it credit for. There's a reason ESPN pays him as much as they do, and look the other way on some of the fringy things he says.

AD's follow all the same stuff everyone does, I'm sure. Obviously they have many other deciding factors, but MacAfee is pretty heavily followed in the football world.

IU paid Allen over $5 million/year. I definitely think Scott could bump Cignetti over $6 million with raises for his staff and more NIL funds. The issue is Florida is paying Napier $7.3 million/year.

If Cignetti does leave then I think Shanahan, Sunseri, or Haines should be pursued as candidates for the head coaching position.
Let's wait and see what happens the rest of the year. But I have the feeling coach CIG and his staff are going to get healthy raises. And if scott is half as smart as he's proven to be thus far, he's working on a preemptive strike even as we speak.

Last edited:
McAfee had Cignetti on his show last season for an entire segment and yet he received two job offers: Duke and IU. They're both Pittsburgh natives who attended West Virginia.
All this is assuming he keeps winning... so there's that.

But winning at IU, in the B10...quite obviously ups the ante. And the only reason he had Cig on his show last year is because Gameday went to JMU. After they lost that game, not sure he mentioned him after that.

This was something MacAfee made a point of bringing up, mid week, after week 3.

You're not a "big idea" guy, I get it. But if he wins "big" this year at IU, he'll have big schools coming after him. And there's really no reason for any of us to assume he'd stay at IU, when any number of better football schools could offer him similar opportunities, with better tradition, more resources, more loyal fans, etc...

And if he becomes a focus of MacAfee Show's constant admiration and attention, that'll only make him more marketable to bigger schools.

I said if he wins at UCLA, watch for national media to start pumping him up. MacAfee is a sign that will start happening.

I hope Dolson takes the impending threat much more seriously than you are.

If he becomes a regular guy that MacAfee talks about, that will have quite a lot more impact than you're giving it credit for. There's a reason ESPN pays him as much as they do, and look the other way on some of the fringy things he says.

AD's follow all the same stuff everyone does, I'm sure. Obviously they have many other deciding factors, but MacAfee is pretty heavily followed in the football world.
I think it’s a fair point there is risk he could leave if he does very well. I don’t think Pat is a factor here.

Interested ADs will be watching the games and talking to sources that know what’s going on inside IUFB. They’ll want to know about his staff, how and where he recruits, what resources he gets at IU, what people think about him, if he would leave, and how he would fit in at XYZ school.

ESPN pays Pat because he generates ratings, probably in the lucrative younger demo. He’s an entertainer, not an analyst or exec who is paid to assess personnel and make good hires.

Reactions: bang63 and 76-1
I think it’s a fair point there is risk he could leave if he does very well. I don’t think Pat is a factor here.

Interested ADs will be watching the games and talking to sources that know what’s going on inside IUFB. They’ll want to know about his staff, how and where he recruits, what resources he gets at IU, what people think about him, if he would leave, and how he would fit in at XYZ school.

ESPN pays Pat because he generates ratings, probably in the lucrative younger demo. He’s an entertainer, not an analyst or exec who is paid to assess personnel and make good hires.
Pat is a factor in that he would "help" AD's that like Cignetti, but need to build buy in within their respective power circles...MacAfee's adulation will help with that.

If he wins this year at IU, his coaching impact really couldn't be questioned. He'd have turned around teams immediately, at multiple different levels. And at IU, he'd have taken a historically bad program, and flipped them in to an admired and successful football program in less than a year. The big schools WILL take notice. But his age, his lack of elite P4 experience, will be obstacles for AD's that like him.

MacAfee's promotions will/would, without question, help overcome the questions and perception issues the AD's would face.

Pat is a factor in that he would "help" AD's that like Cignetti, but need to build buy in within their respective power circles...MacAfee's adulation will help with that.

If he wins this year at IU, his coaching impact really couldn't be questioned. He'd have turned around teams immediately, at multiple different levels. And at IU, he'd have taken a historically bad program, and flipped them in to an admired and successful football program in less than a year. The big schools WILL take notice. But his age, his lack of elite P4 experience, will be obstacles for AD's that like him.

MacAfee's promotions will/would, without question, help overcome the questions and perception issues the AD's would face.
The old university Presidents, trustees, and influential boosters are not looking to Pat McAfee for analysis on coaching hires. Pat has no track record and whatever he says will pale in comparison to what the AD lays out as the case to hire a coach.

This group may be interested in what someone like Nick Saban says on air, he knows coaching more than anyone, and they would be very interested in what Nick says privately.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
It’s odd that a guy like Cignetti has been coaching for this long and has been at smaller schools until he was over 60 years old. That seems rare but there are other examples like Willie Fritz, probably the closest parallel , who didn’t take a G5 job with Ga Souther until 2014, then Tulane and now at Houston. Fritz was probably a hotter commodity last year than Cignetti and didn’t get poached by P4 schools. Fritz had a terrible 2021 season and then two phenomenal seasons in 2022 and 2023 with a huge Cotten Bowl upset.

We will know we're a good football program once winning a few games in the weak part of the schedule doesn't lead to mass hysteria that the coach will leave soon. And yes I think we'll win plenty of games in the strong part of the schedule too, but come on, how can that be a worry. Good problem for later.

The old university Presidents, trustees, and influential boosters are not looking to Pat McAfee for analysis on coaching hires. Pat has no track record and whatever he says will pale in comparison to what the AD lays out as the case to hire a coach.

This group may be interested in what someone like Nick Saban says on air, he knows coaching more than anyone, and they would be very interested in what Nick says privately.
Not sure you're picking up what I'm putting down...

They'll form their lists. They'll have candidates. If Cig wins big at IU this year, he'll be on a lot of lists. But in order for him to stay on those lists, he'll have to survive the scrutiny of his age, and his lack of name recognition.

When MacAfee digs in on someone, they no longer lack name recognition. And his appearances on MacAfee's show, which will happen if he continues to win, will erase some of the concerns on his age.

Things are changing fellas. MacAfee was fired by ESPN no more than a few years ago for saying and doing things less extreme than what he's doing regularly now a days. Presidents and boosters have long had the veiled insulation of "amateur athletics" to keep them at arms length from outside influences (if they want to be at arms length).

If you guys don't think a 10-2 Curt Cignetti, constantly appearing on MacAfee's show, with Pat and his cronies singing his praises every weekend... if you don't think that will be a powerful motivator for various schools...yes, even schools like Florida...you're crazy.

They'll form their lists. They'll have candidates. If Cig wins big at IU this year, he'll be on a lot of lists. But in order for him to stay on those lists, he'll have to survive the scrutiny of his age, and his lack of name recognition.

When MacAfee digs in on someone, they no longer lack name recognition. And his appearances on MacAfee's show, which will happen if he continues to win, will erase some of the concerns on his age.

Things are changing fellas. MacAfee was fired by ESPN no more than a few years ago for saying and doing things less extreme than what he's doing regularly now a days. Presidents and boosters have long had the veiled insulation of "amateur athletics" to keep them at arms length from outside influences (if they want to be at arms length).

If you guys don't think a 10-2 Curt Cignetti, constantly appearing on MacAfee's show, with Pat and his cronies singing his praises every weekend... if you don't think that will be a powerful motivator for various schools...yes, even schools like Florida...you're crazy.
Did you hear one of Cig's postgame interviews when he said this is his last job?

I hope coach Cignetti stays like he says he will.

I get what you’re saying, we just disagree on Pat’s influence on coaching hires. So be it.

As I said, I do agree there is risk in Cig leaving if he knocks it out of the park here. He’s got several coaching years left and something like double comp, 3x NIL, and a big brand is tough to pass up. We’ll see if big schools come calling. We may win 6-7 games and this never comes up.

I do think Scott will do a lot to keep him if needed — IU is more dedicated to football now. Our athletic dept finances look pretty good if we need to give the staff raises. NIL should go up. The rev share will help too since it’s capped. IUFB can grow with this coaching staff.

Last edited:
Not sure you're picking up what I'm putting down... (Jsenleo's edit)

"...... Things are changing fellas. MacAfee was fired by ESPN no more than a few years ago for saying and doing things less extreme than what he's doing regularly now a days. ....."

Sorry but you're way wrong about that.... McAfee was never fired from ESPN... You could say he was called to the principal's office and told to "cool it"..... but never fired, not close.

Actually, they love him. Believe me, I know.

The hype is building. I guess no matter what happens, I love it. But the more guys like MacAfee "glaze" him, to use lingo from my teenagers...The more likely him getting plucked sooner rather than later.

Also...if you watch the clip...look at AJ Hawk's smug typical Ohio State smirk. God I'd love for nothing more than IU to go in and ruin their season later in the year. Like quite a lot more than winning the bucket even.
If Cig wants to leave he should. He won’t be able to keep Shanahan and Haines this time though.

Reactions: sparkeyreturns

Not that this necessarily means anything but here is one take on Billy Napier replacements.

If Cig wants to leave he should. He won’t be able to keep Shanahan and Haines this time though.
If IU continues to have a highly successful season, there is no question that some major programs are going to feel him out, but I'm not going to worry about that now and I'm just going to enjoy the season.

Look for Florida to be the first major program this season to fire their coach early and go with an interim coach until the end of the season.

I get what you’re saying, we just disagree on Pat’s influence on coaching hires. So be it.

As I said, I do agree there is risk in Cig leaving if he knocks it out of the park here. He’s got several coaching years left and something like double comp, 3x NIL, and a big brand is tough to pass up. We’ll see if big schools come calling. We may win 6-7 games and this never comes up.

I do think Scott will do a lot to keep him if needed — IU is more dedicated to football now. Our athletic dept finances look pretty good if we need to give the staff raises. NIL should go up. The rev share will help too since it’s capped. IUFB can grow with this coaching staff.
Yep. If AD’s need a vote of confidence from a media personality such as a McAfee, they were incompetent to begin with.

If IU continues to have a highly successful season, there is no question that some major programs are going to feel him out, but I'm not going to worry about that now and I'm just going to enjoy the season.

Look for Florida to be the first major program this season to fire their coach early and go with an interim coach until the end of the season.
Rumors are saying Florida wants James Franklin.

Florida donors aren’t shelling out $26 million dollars to can Napier mid-season only to turn around and hire 64 year old Curt Cignetti two months later. Florida is one of the top 2-3 jobs in the country. A lot of people would have to say no for Cignetti to get a call from Florida.
Everyone has an opinion and that is what forums are for, but Florida keeps missing on their head coaches and I think they would hire someone who appears to being in great shape and doesn't have one foot in the grave. I simply think they desperately need to hit a homerun after many whiffs, and hiring someone nearing 65 who could be around for several years, is not out of the question for them. But, we have no idea what the powers that be in Florida, are thinking.

Reactions: 76-1
Cignetti will have so much leverage over Indiana if he wins 8+ games simply because it hasn't happened very often in the program's history.

If CC were to win 9 or more games, his salary would potentially need to be doubled after this year. It sounds ludicrous but he will have that kind of leverage on the university.

Look at what Kentucky had to pay Stoops after a 10 win season. Stoops is a top ten paid head coach in the entire country. His success AND bigger named schools poking around were the driving forces to such a gaudy salary.

For the record, Curt Cignetti >> Mark Stoops.

There is one huge aspect about IU that will tend to keep Cig here over all of those historically top ten schools . . . IU is exactly the type of program Coach Cig has spent his entire career bringing out of the gutter. Why not finish up a coaching career by building a legacy as a program builder in the Big Ten vs taking over, say a Florida program with outrageous expectations and going 10-2 every year and having everyone think its expected. Anyone who knows anything about NCAA football history will know that IU becoming a competitive force at the top of the Big Ten, and staying there year after year, is one hell of an accomplishment and quite a legacy for a retiring coach. Go HOOSIERS !!!

Everyone has an opinion and that is what forums are for, but Florida keeps missing on their head coaches and I think they would hire someone who appears to being in great shape and doesn't have one foot in the grave. I simply think they desperately need to hit a homerun after many whiffs, and hiring someone nearing 65 who could be around for several years, is not out of the question for them. But, we have no idea what the powers that be in Florida, are thinking.
As lucky as Indiana is to have Coach Cignetti, he's not a home run hire for Florida. He's not even a double. Lane Kiffin or Dan Lanning are home run hires and candidates they will almost assuredly throw the farm at. From there, they'd be looking at guys like Eli Drinkwitz, James Franklin, or Jedd Fisch. Florida needs a coach who can recruit toe to toe with the likes of Georgia and Alabama. Way too many high end FL prospects going anywhere but Gainesville.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
There is one huge aspect about IU that will tend to keep Cig here over all of those historically top ten schools . . . IU is exactly the type of program Coach Cig has spent his entire career bringing out of the gutter. Why not finish up a coaching career by building a legacy as a program builder in the Big Ten vs taking over, say a Florida program with outrageous expectations and going 10-2 every year and having everyone think its expected. Anyone who knows anything about NCAA football history will know that IU becoming a competitive force at the top of the Big Ten, and staying there year after year, is one hell of an accomplishment and quite a legacy for a retiring coach. Go HOOSIERS !!!
Agree with this, unless he gets a shot at an Alabama, Georgia type job where winning a national championship in the next few years is a distinct possibility, I don't see a reason for him to leave. Even taking a job at a school like Pittsburgh or West Virginia (where he has ties) is a lateral step at best in the current climate despite both being historically better jobs.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
I'd just like to point out that nearly an identical situation played out in 2020. Our coach vastly overachieved in the context of our program's history, and the AD, to the relief and excitement of our fan base, locked-in said coach to a long term extension. Then said fan base railed on the short-sighted, knee jerk extension for three years. I'm not saying CCC will falter like CTA did, but the collective amnesia is shocking.

Cignetti will have so much leverage over Indiana if he wins 8+ games simply because it hasn't happened very often in the program's history.

If CC were to win 9 or more games, his salary would potentially need to be doubled after this year. It sounds ludicrous but he will have that kind of leverage on the university.

Look at what Kentucky had to pay Stoops after a 10 win season. Stoops is a top ten paid head coach in the entire country. His success AND bigger named schools poking around were the driving forces to such a gaudy salary.

For the record, Curt Cignetti >> Mark Stoops.
Dolson should be able to corral the funds to give CCC a big raise. It’s not like IU is a school without rich alumni. I don’t think Florida has a wealthier donor base.

We are only 25% of the way through the season. Thanks to a great start many IU fans are whining that we'll lose our coach. Some people simply aren't happy unless they can worry or whine about something.

Today is 9/18/2024. Focus on Charlotte. And be sure to hydrate before the game.

I'd just like to point out that nearly an identical situation played out in 2020. Our coach vastly overachieved in the context of our program's history, and the AD, to the relief and excitement of our fan base, locked-in said coach to a long term extension. Then said fan base railed on the short-sighted, knee jerk extension for three years. I'm not saying CCC will falter like CTA did, but the collective amnesia is shocking.
You make a good point and I do not disagree. I was just responding to the initial post. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to early for this type of talk/worry for certain. But I think fan boards are built on speculation, optimism, and the discussion that goes with it. Further, I think Coach Allen is a good guy and had two very good years; I think the difference was losing his supporting cast (ass't coaches). Time will tell but the speculation and discussion are still entertaining.

You make a good point and I do not disagree. I was just responding to the initial post. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to early for this type of talk/worry for certain. But I think fan boards are built on speculation, optimism, and the discussion that goes with it. Further, I think Coach Allen is a good guy and had two very good years; I think the difference was losing his supporting cast (ass't coaches). Time will tell but the speculation and discussion are still entertaining.
In the end...losing guys like DeBoar and Womack, obviously had a huge impact on Allen's ability to field a nationally competitive program.

It'll be interesting how Cignetti handles it if he loses some of his key guys. Not sure he's had to deal with that much yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT