ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Jordan tucker is down to two teams

I don't think the fan base can influence decision making by the administration. I do feel like the fan base can put a negative perception on the program that others can use. I also did not say that is the only thing they can use against Crean but it is part of it. I just don't see what being negative every day does to help the program at all and it puts a bad perspective on the program.

This has nothing to do with either you back or bash Crean because I really don't care who our coach is. My complaint all along is that the negativity can not help the IU basketball program and it can only hurt it.

This is big boy basketball.

Crean gets paid $3.5 mil a year to deal with the criticism. Don't want to hear it? Coach and recruit better. Problem for him, he's built the reputation already that is hurting him in recruiting circles, and it will take a big change on his part to repair his relationships with a number of HS coaches. Is what it is.

As long as he is the coach at IU and is not doing anything illegal or unethical I will back him. I would do that for anyone who is coaching IU and I would think any IU fan would support the program. The program includes the coach so yes I will be a fan of his.

So you would stop supporting the coach for unethical practices, which I agree with, but you won't stop supporting him if he loses all the games?

You're right most of you are Crean lovers and fan boys. Keep supporting the boys! Go IU! Did you know we won two big titles and made it to the Sweet 16!?!
Maybe you need to go root for UK because you seem like a fan who only cares about winning and not how you win. Nobody is content with just getting to the sweet 16 but some people cans see that we are headed in the right direction. I, for one is not a fan boy of Crean but I will back him as long as he does things the right way. if or when he is gone I will be alright with that decision and then will back that coach if they do the things the right way.

So you would stop supporting the coach for unethical practices, which I agree with, but you won't stop supporting him if he loses all the games?
I am not happy if they lose games but I will not stop backing them either. I also don't think he is as bad as some of you think he is and I think for the last 5 years he has been above average.

This is big boy basketball.

Crean gets paid $3.5 mil a year to deal with the criticism. Don't want to hear it? Coach and recruit better. Problem for him, he's built the reputation already that is hurting him in recruiting circles, and it will take a big change on his part to repair his relationships with a number of HS coaches. Is what it is.
Again this does not have anything to do with Crean and you are right he can handle it. This has all to do with INDIANA program and all the negativity around it does not help the PROGRAM. If you truly want what is best for the program then back it and help the program out.

So when we complain about Crean's stewardship of the program it doesn't matter because Fred Glass isn't listening to a message board, BUT coaches from opposing teams will tell kids "Hey, did you see what Taz said about Tom on the Hoosier.com board? He's right , you know" . . . :eek:. I thought what our opinions are didn't matter?

Believe me (I know you probably won't), there is PLENTY opposing coaches can (and do) use against Crean without anything said on this or any other message board.

It's called talking out of both sides of your mouth. Of course IU Scott won't recognize it and will continue to be disingenuous when debating IU.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Again this does not have anything to do with Crean and you are right he can handle it. This has all to do with INDIANA program and all the negativity around it does not help the PROGRAM. If you truly want what is best for the program then back it and help the program out.

Crean is not our coach?

Oh - he still is. Then, yes, this has everything to do with him - seeing how he is the cause for the negativity.

I am not happy if they lose games but I will not stop backing them either. I also don't think he is as bad as some of you think he is and I think for the last 5 years he has been above average.

I just don't understand how you can't see that both can be detrimental to the program. I understand if people support Crean because they think he will win a national title, I just diagree with it.

Crean is not our coach?

Oh - he still is. Then, yes, this has everything to do with him - seeing how he is the cause for the negativity.
No it is a small minority of outs spoken fans that are causing the negativity. Besides the fans most of the other people I have heard think the program is in good shape and Crean is a very good coach.

I just don't understand how you can't see that both can be detrimental to the program. I understand if people support Crean because they think he will win a national title, I just diagree with it.
Again it is not so much supporting Crean but supporting the IU program which I will do until my final day I am on this earth.

What is it that coach Crean does or does not do that is the main cause of your negativity?

Wins less than 60% of his games.
Struggles to consistently recruit top 10 classes
Hasn't advanced past the sw 16
He has been terrible in the Big Ten tourney
He is 1 for 10 recruiting top 50 Indiana kids the past 4 years
Just to name a few

Just to name a few
The last 5 years he has won over 70% to be fair about it

Just to name a few
So the first thing you mentioned is winning. What percentage of winning from Crean or the next coach would make you more positive?

I always wonder if we fired Crean how long would some of these fans give the next coach especially if it is a coach they really like.
It's usually a habit. The other thing is some things are beyond our control so we tend to make suggestions that cannot be held accountable. If there was an act that goes against a core belief then it may disappear. I could understand if it was leniency for the marijuana and alcohol or can't stand zone defenses.

Again it is not so much supporting Crean but supporting the IU program which I will do until my final day I am on this earth.

I thought you didn't take sports so serious as you once did?:) Just teasing a bit, but there is a point that I would no longer be interested in supporting IU basketball. I can take a little losing... it's good for the soul. I can only support stupid basketball for so long though. It's just a game so there's no reason for me to bind myself by oath to support something that I don't like.

I'm still giving Crean a chance to prove to me that this is the way to play basketball today, but eventually I'll turn my attention elsewhere. It's possible that I might just hang up on college basketball altogether since it's becoming more and more like the NBA... which I've never been able to watch.

No it is a small minority of outs spoken fans that are causing the negativity. Besides the fans most of the other people I have heard think the program is in good shape and Crean is a very good coach.

Well the people I talk to Scott think just the opposite. While they think the regular season success is fine they are incredibly frustrated with the lack of success in the big ten tourney and especially the inability to advance past the sweet sixteen. None of them hold out much hope we will ever make the final four under the current coach. Look we all know you are a total Crean homer despite how you try and deny it. If you were not such a huge crean homer why do you post 50 posts a day defending him? I understand to you he can do no wrong but a lot of people think the sweet sixteen is his ceiling and they are very frustrated by that.

I thought you didn't take sports so serious as you once did?:) Just teasing a bit, but there is a point that I would no longer be interested in supporting IU basketball. I can take a little losing... it's good for the soul. I can only support stupid basketball for so long though. It's just a game so there's no reason for me to bind myself by oath to support something that I don't like.

I'm still giving Crean a chance to prove to me that this is the way to play basketball today, but eventually I'll turn my attention elsewhere. It's possible that I might just hang up on college basketball altogether since it's becoming more and more like the NBA... which I've never been able to watch.
I still love IU basketball today as much as I did back in the 70's and 80's and look forward to watching every game.

So the first thing you mentioned is winning. What percentage of winning from Crean or the next coach would make you more positive?

75% depending on nonconference schedules. I'd give them a little slack if the non-conference schedule had less cupcakes.

Well the people I talk to Scott think just the opposite. While they think the regular season success is fine they are incredibly frustrated with the lack of success in the big ten tourney and especially the inability to advance past the sweet sixteen. None of them hold out much hope we will ever make the final four under the current coach. Look we all know you are a total Crean homer despite how you try and deny it. If you were not such a huge crean homer why do you post 50 posts a day defending him? I understand to you he can do no wrong but a lot of people think the sweet sixteen is his ceiling and they are very frustrated by that.
Think whatever you want but if it was up to me he would have been gone after losing to WSU in the first round two years ago or after the Duke game last year. Since that did not happen I will back the program whoever the coach is.

I am with you college basketball is just not as fun to watch as it once was due to how the game has changed. Now I do enjoy watching Wisconsin play as they play old school fundamental basketball. I used to watch every single IU game no matter what but now I don’t even bother with the cupcake preseason games. I do not enjoy creans style at all but I will still watch most big ten games since it is IU.

Maybe you need to go root for UK because you seem like a fan who only cares about winning and not how you win. Nobody is content with just getting to the sweet 16 but some people cans see that we are headed in the right direction. I, for one is not a fan boy of Crean but I will back him as long as he does things the right way. if or when he is gone I will be alright with that decision and then will back that coach if they do the things the right way.

You're is number one fanboy.

Think whatever you want but if it was up to me he would have been gone after losing to WSU in the first round two years ago or after the Duke game last year. Since that did not happen I will back the program whoever the coach is.
I think if it was up to most of us he would have been gone after losing to WSU but that proves my point that Glass loves him and will never fire him. Crean is here as long as he wants. He is safer than safe with Glass around.

75% depending on nonconference schedules. I'd give them a little slack if the non-conference schedule had less cupcakes.
So let me get this straight you want the IU coach today to have a better winning percentage than what RMK career winning percentage at IU. That seems fair to expect another coach to win at a higher percentage than one of the all time great college basketball coaches. RMK career winning percentage at IU is 73.1%

Just to name a few
Can someone tell me with any kind of specificity what it is about Crean and/or his program that hurts his recruiting? Does anyone really know? Sure, we can all speculate (oversigning, overpromising, too demanding, he's a spaz, whatever), but I'd like to hear something definite. Same with what it is that the high school coaches don't like about him. That one quote from Wilkes about him being real or whatever it was isn't enough for me to take as an explanation for all the recruiting misses he's had across the board.

Can someone tell me with any kind of specificity what it is about Crean and/or his program that hurts his recruiting? Does anyone really know? Sure, we can all speculate (oversigning, overpromising, too demanding, he's a spaz, whatever), but I'd like to hear something definite. Same with what it is that the high school coaches don't like about him. That one quote from Wilkes about him being real or whatever it was isn't enough for me to take as an explanation for all the recruiting misses he's had across the board.
I think it has to do with the AAU coaches not liking him and not really the real basketball coaches who do actual coaching.

So let me get this straight you want the IU coach today to have a better winning percentage than what RMK career winning percentage at IU. That seems fair to expect another coach to win at a higher percentage than one of the all time great college basketball coaches. RMK career winning percentage at IU is 73.1%

Well, if you've got 10 automatic wins in the non-con, he's just asking for 13-7 against teams with a pulse.

You're right most of you are Crean lovers and fan boys. Keep supporting the boys! Go IU! Did you know we won two big titles and made it to the Sweet 16!?!

I am not a Crean lover or hater. As mentioned in other threads, I have zero faith in IU's brass to make a good hire. So, IMO, IU is better off having Crean than someone that they would hire next. I will support IU. We have won 2 BIG RS titles. Again, I have said in many threads before that I would rather have a BIG tournament title. Yes, we know IU has been to the sweet 16 because it is in every thread on this board is it not?

I am not a Crean lover or hater. As mentioned in other threads, I have zero faith in IU's brass to make a good hire. So, IMO, IU is better off having Crean than someone that they would hire next. I will support IU. We have won 2 BIG RS titles. Again, I have said in many threads before that I would rather have a BIG tournament title. Yes, we know IU has been to the sweet 16 because it is in every thread on this board is it not?
I have zero faith in the Indiana brass to do anything right when it comes to IU basketball. A big ten tourney title would be awesome but I think I have a better chance of getting hit by lighting.

Knight played a much tougher schedules and was still above 75% until he fell off his last 4 or 5 years. Also, go back and reread what I wrote. I specifically stated I would give him a little slack if they started playing tougher schedules like they did in the Knight era.

It can't get much worst than it is. Go through IU's schedule. A terrible coach could win 17-20 games a year. Our preseason schedule is set up to get 8-10 wins each year no matter how bad IU is. Not to mention the additions of 3 shitty programs in the Big Ten that has watered down that schedule. There is literally dozens of coaches who are on par with Crean or better.

It can't get much worst than it is. Go through IU's schedule. A terrible coach could win 17-20 games a year. Our preseason schedule is set up to get 8-10 wins each year no matter how bad IU is. Not to mention the additions of 3 shitty programs in the Big Ten that has watered down that schedule. There is literally dozens of coaches who are on par with Crean or better.

I thought that this thread is about Tucker.

The big ten used to be pretty competitive from top to bottom most years. But now you have basic give me games like Rutgers. Home games against teams like Nebraska and Illinois are almost guaranteed wins. You are correct about basically 9 or 10 guaranteed preseason wins and you get 10 in the big ten and you have your 20 wins. Actually pretty easy to do if you have a half way decent squad. The big ten will be very lucky to get anyone seeded better than a 4 seed given how weak it once again it. You would probably have to go 16-2 or 15-3 and win the BTT to get seeded higher .

Knight played a much tougher schedules and was still above 75% until he fell off his last 4 or 5 years. Also, go back and reread what I wrote. I specifically stated I would give him a little slack if they started playing tougher schedules like they did in the Knight era.
It probably was a little harder schedule but not much. For some of his time we only played 10 non conference games and you had 4 automatic wins in the Hoosier and Indiana classics. Also for a lot of that only had 10 conference teams and had 4 automatic wins in UW and NW.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT