ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Jordan tucker is down to two teams

The big ten used to be pretty competitive from top to bottom most years. But now you have basic give me games like Rutgers. Home games against teams like Nebraska and Illinois are almost guaranteed wins. You are correct about basically 9 or 10 guaranteed preseason wins and you get 10 in the big ten and you have your 20 wins. Actually pretty easy to do if you have a half way decent squad. The big ten will be very lucky to get anyone seeded better than a 4 seed given how weak it once again it. You would probably have to go 16-2 or 15-3 and win the BTT to get seeded higher .
In the 70 and 80's with ten conference teams you had 4 automatic games a year against NW and UW. To me the big ten at the bottom is better today but the top of the conference is what is a lot weaker than it was in the past.

In the 70 and 80's with ten conference teams you had 4 automatic games a year against NW and UW. To me the big ten at the bottom is better today but the top of the conference is what is a lot weaker than it was in the past.
Boy you don' t give up. I just watched a clip from our 1987 championship team where they played Northwestern and won barely by two points.

Boy you don' t give up. I just watched a clip from our 1987 championship team where they played Northwestern and won barely by two points.
Yes they did and went to triple over time against UW both on the road but beat both of those teams by over 30 points at home in that same season. Also at one time IU beat UW like 35 times in a row and had a long winning streak against NW as well. I said the big ten was better back then as well as college basket as a whole. I never said every time you played a team it would be automatic but when you had beaten a team over 30 times in a row that is pretty much automatic.

Yes they did and went to triple over time against UW both on the road but beat both of those teams by over 30 points at home in that same season. Also at one time IU beat UW like 35 times in a row and had a long winning streak against NW as well. I said the big ten was better back then as well as college basket as a whole. I never said every time you played a team it would be automatic but when you had beaten a team over 30 times in a row that is pretty much automatic.

I can tell you beating Rutgers is automatic. It is a disgrace we allowed them in the league as they should be Division II. They are an absolute disgrace.

It probably was a little harder schedule but not much. For some of his time we only played 10 non conference games and you had 4 automatic wins in the Hoosier and Indiana classics. Also for a lot of that only had 10 conference teams and had 4 automatic wins in UW and NW.

Check this out...

1988-89 IU schedule with SR Power Ranking out of 289 teams

#156 Illinois St.
#28 Stanford
#7 Syracuse
#6 UNC
#123 Miami (Oh)
#15 Louisville
#41 Notre Dame
#108 VCU
#89 Santa Clara
#48 Ark-Little Rock
#33 UTEP
#92 Kentucky (Probation)
#231 St. Bonny
#98 Utah St.
#21 Ohio State (twice)
#20 Purdue (twice)
#84 Northwestern (twice)
#27 Wisconsin (twice)
#37 Michigan St.(twice)
#2 Michigan (twice)
#4 Illinois (twice)
#13 Iowa (twice)
#29 Minnesota (twice)

That's 23 games vs Top 50 opposition and 28 games vs Top 100. This schedule was ranked #2 nationally and was 1 of the 16 times that a Knight team faced a Top 5 schedule in his 29 years.

Schedules today are not in the same universe compared to the schedules of the old days.

***Last year we played 11 games vs Top 50 opposition and 16 games vs Top 100... absolutely no comparison!!!

Last edited:
I can tell you beating Rutgers is automatic. It is a disgrace we allowed them in the league as they should be Division II. They are an absolute disgrace.
They almost beat us last year and the year before they beat UW the year that UW went to the final four. Also I feel that Rutgers today is as good or better than those UW or NW teams of the 70's and 80's.. Where I feel the biggest difference in the big ten today than in the past is that the top teams were a lot more loaded back then than they are today.

Check this out...

1988-89 IU schedule with SR Power Ranking out of 289 teams

#156 Illinois St.
#28 Stanford
#7 Syracuse
#6 UNC
#123 Miami (Oh)
#15 Louisville
#41 Notre Dame
#108 VCU
#89 Santa Clara
#48 Ark-Little Rock
#33 UTEP
#92 Kentucky (Probation)
#231 St. Bonny
#98 Utah St.
#21 Ohio State (twice)
#20 Purdue (twice)
#84 Northwestern (twice)
#27 Wisconsin (twice)
#37 Michigan St.(twice)
#2 Michigan (twice)
#4 Illinois (twice)
#13 Iowa (twice)
#29 Minnesota (twice)

That's 23 games vs Top 50 opposition and 28 games vs Top 100. This schedule was ranked #2 nationally and was 1 of the 16 times that a Knight team faced a Top 5 schedule in his 29 years.

Schedules today are not in the same universe compared to the schedules of the old days.
I can admit when I am wrong and went back and look at schedules from the 80's and it is a lot better. I knew it was better but after looking at the schedules it was a lot better. To me when I think back about it I thought we played more cupcakes in the Hoosier and Indiana classics but we did not. We played lower tiered top conference teams or some middle of the pack mid major teams.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
You obviously have reading comprehension problems.

FWIW 247 sports now has Tucker at 100 % for Indiana

What does 100% mean to you? I always thought 100% meant something was guaranteed to happen? So I am wrong about that??? Please do tell!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT