ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Stop The Charade....

I guess we did have Pat Graham and Pat Knight...but I'm guessing ftw wouldn't talk to them about his issue with Pats.
I hired a Pat once...It was back in 2003. I knew nobody else would hire them so I gave them a shot. They did not have the sex on the DL for some reason so the whole office was guessing. The office was also wondering wtf I was doing. I put just as much effort getting them up to speed in training as the next salesperson, but it did not work out. Anyways, I can always say I gave them a shot.

Smaller house?
Lol here’s where it gets really hard for people of privilege to understand. House? Are you serious? The large number of my students lived in apartments probably 2 bedrooms and moved around often"

I have to remind myself from time to time of the WC's possible demographics and realize that while it's a decent sample of an overall believe of political ideology (because I get that depending on the specific topic, it's natural that a person can be left or right leaning on that topic) but in general I get a nice slice of views.

However I'm guessing this board is made up of 95% IU fans, 98% dudes, 95% white, 99% over the age of 30.

I fit into that bucket and a big chunk of my friends fit that bucket so it's nice to get a preview on everyone's POV before I end up discussing in my real life but.... we're severely missing some key groups.

Meaning this board doesn't represent the collective mindset, maybe just the over 30, Midwestern rooted white male that loves IU sports.
Probably 99.5 percent dudes.

Reactions: TommyCracker
"People attacking public school teachers in Indiana are twats."

Why didn't you just say that up front and leave out all the BS.

And by the way, you're not a teacher and you don't make policy. And I give 2 shits that your girlfriend has teenagers and you know them or that you get along with her ex-husband. WTF does that have to do with anything?

You're a typical blowhard who likes to spout their supposed expertise when you have no background other than coaching teanagers. And you think that makes you an expert in education.

Go bloviate on the basketball boards.
What’s your expertise in education again? It appears most everyone on this board thinks they are.

US Army - Russian Lingust. Graduated from the Defense Language Institute just up the hill from the Naval Post Graduate School;

2 undergrad majors, History and Economics. Russian minor.

MBA and departmental minor in Computer Science.

Software engineer and Led IT (SAP) projects in Europe for General Motors and Delco Electronics

Of course, that probably doesn't match up to your Communications degree.

Still looking for any expertise in education that you seem to think you know so much about? Child development? Psychology? Sociology? Anything having to do with people skills? Yeah, that’s what I thought. But do go on.

Robison? Not really. Shook hands at a couple of fundraisers but no.
Yep. I went to a fundraiser with them a couple months ago. Dave and Rae played. He’s good people. superintendents have to play the game, like everyone else.

I have no confidence a teacher or professor with strong political beliefs wouldn’t project those beliefs to their kids in school.

My son certainly experienced it at IU.
I don’t think this thread is about college. Of course you’re going to get into much deeper discussions in college.

Yep. I went to a fundraiser with them a couple months ago. Dave and Rae played. He’s good people. superintendents have to play the game, like everyone else.
Especially right now. They are CEOs, peacemakers, fundraisers, politicians, and occasionally educators. He has a good team and an amazing district...but not without growth challenges.

My daughter too...She gone. Left after 2020. Sad what Bloomington has become. The BLM sh*t that was all over town. The culture is much different than 15-20 years ago.

First day moving my daughter into Bloomington were at Target in the checkout line. The ??? checking us out had a tight dress on...bra...and its package was in full view if you get my drift. My 8 year old daughter noticed, with this odd look, and we had to walk her away. How in the f*ck do you explain that sh!t to an 8 year old. My wife f*cked its name up on the name tag, in which we were met with a sh!tty look. 20 years ago I would have prolly decked the asshole BUT you know these days its a "liberal thing".

Problem for the store manager is if he says something to the employee about it you are prolly walking into a lawsuit.

The times they are a changin. Downward spiral.
Bloomington is the same amazing awesome place it’s always been. I’ve been here all week for game tonight. Bloomington is a diverse community where everyone doesn’t all think alike. That’s why some of you are scared of it.

Bloomington is the same amazing awesome place it’s always been. I’ve been here all week for game tonight. Bloomington is a diverse community where everyone doesn’t all think alike. That’s why some of you are scared of it.
Nobody is scared...Just don't want to deal with people who aren't sure about who they are.

US Army - Russian Lingust. Graduated from the Defense Language Institute just up the hill from the Naval Post Graduate School;

2 undergrad majors, History and Economics. Russian minor.

MBA and departmental minor in Computer Science.

Software engineer and Led IT (SAP) projects in Europe for General Motors and Delco Electronics

Of course, that probably doesn't match up to your Communications degree.

It’s “Naval Postgraduate School.” I’m an alum. Monterey is a lot of fun. It’s where I started golfing.

Reactions: DANC
Why? That sounds like scared to me. How does it hurt you if someone is confused about their gender?
It doesn't hurt me or scare me at all. I just choose, as well as others, not to be around a bunch of that. There are better places to spend my time. I already told you in this thread I hired a Pat and gave them a fair chance. You can continue calling me out though based on what you think I think. LMAO.

It doesn't hurt me or scare me at all. I just choose, as well as others, not to be around a bunch of that. There are better places to spend my time. I already told you in this thread I hired a Pat and gave them a fair chance. You can continue calling me out though based on what you think I think. LMAO.

If you are around too many pats, it may just rub off on you lol. contagious and all that.

Still looking for any expertise in education that you seem to think you know so much about? Child development? Psychology? Sociology? Anything having to do with people skills? Yeah, that’s what I thought. But do go on.
Yeah, nothing to do with people skills. Managing people from multiple countries means I don't have any people skills.

Yes, I do know a lot about child development, having raised a daughter. And I took the same Psych and Sociology courses you did.

So **** off.

It’s “Naval Postgraduate School.” I’m an alum. Monterey is a lot of fun. It’s where I started golfing.
Well excuuu-uuuse me! lol I liked their cafeteria a lot better than our barracks (really, more like a dorm) food. Although it wasn't as bad as normal Army chow.

Life was rough then. 6 hours of class each day, a few hours of studying each night, bonfires on the beach, driving down to Point Lobos, going to San Francisco..... 1 formation a week and no PT!

I'm still friends with my Air Force roommate - 50 years ago next Fall.

I guess DLI has gone full military now.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Well excuuu-uuuse me! lol I liked their cafeteria a lot better than our barracks (really, more like a dorm) food. Although it wasn't as bad as normal Army chow.

Life was rough then. 6 hours of class each day, a few hours of studying each night, bonfires on the beach, driving down to Point Lobos, going to San Francisco..... 1 formation a week and no PT!

I'm still friends with my Air Force roommate - 50 years ago next Fall.

I guess DLI has gone full military now.
I think NPS is less military now. We could wear CIV attire, but it had to be coat and tie at least, or equivalent for women. I believe they allow business casual now. The world is going to hell in a hand basket. ;)

I think NPS is less military now. We could wear CIV attire, but it had to be coat and tie at least, or equivalent for women. I believe they allow business casual now. The world is going to hell in a hand basket. ;)
We had to wear Class As, but that's about as military as we got.

Oh, I guess we did have a monthly room inspection, which was always fun, and our weekly formation. I went there right out of Basic and it was a real culture shock.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Yeah, nothing to do with people skills. Managing people from multiple countries means I don't have any people skills.

Yes, I do know a lot about child development, having raised a daughter. And I took the same Psych and Sociology courses you did.

So **** off.
And, don't forget your Reaction Score!

Lol here’s where it gets really hard for people of privilege to understand. House? Are you serious? The large number of my students lived in apartments probably 2 bedrooms and moved around often"
You can shove your privilege statement.
The only privilege I had growing up was my parents stayed married.
The vast majority live outside of their means. They want to appear to be somebody.
Smaller house, smaller apartment, cheaper car….raise your damn kids don’t rely on someone else.

The vast majority live outside of their means. They want to appear to be somebody.
Smaller house, smaller apartment, cheaper car….raise your damn kids don’t rely on someone else.
I think part of the problem is that the quality of school districts is highly highly correlated with area affluence. For many seeking a good school district for their kids, they have to either spend above their means for one working parent or both have to work just to afford property or rent in those districts. So it’s tough financially now to get into good districts.

I think part of the problem is that the quality of school districts is highly highly correlated with area affluence. For many seeking a good school district for their kids, they have to either spend above their means for one working parent or both have to work just to afford property or rent in those districts. So it’s tough financially now to get into good districts.
I understand this scenario. We need to answer why this exists.
I can send my kids to any of the 4 schools within 45 minutes of my home without paying any tuition.
Now I do have to get my butt moving in the morning…but that’s a small price to pay for your kids

But are schools good because they're in affluent areas, or are they good schools because the parents are affluent?

In the end, education is all about the parents and how they view and encourage education. My mother was a teacher and, in those day, getting in trouble in school meant getting it much worse when your parents found out.

Discipline is just non-existant in many areas and it's reflective of our society.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01
But are schools good because they're in affluent areas, or are they good schools because the parents are affluent?
Yes.

in non-smartass response though, it’s a circular function that can’t be solved. Think chicken and egg. But what’s clear is that these schools perform better and also have more resources available to them via the higher load of tax income.

Reactions: Spartans9312

In the end, education is all about the parents and how they view and encourage education. My mother was a teacher and, in those day, getting in trouble in school meant getting it much worse when your parents found out.

Discipline is just non-existant in many areas and it's reflective of our society.
DANC, Eugene White who was the Black Superintendent of the Indianapolis Schools for several years would pretty much agree with you when it comes to parents. I write this based upon his lectures to a group to which I belonged.

My neighbor is the king of keeping up with the Jones. They now take three Mexico or Caribbean trips per year and they took out a massive home equity loan to put in a new kitchen, drive way, sprinkler system, etc. Oh and they just bought a dog for like 4k. He simply does not get why we do not go to some lavish island for spring break and only go to Arizona. I can only imagine the amount of debt they are in because they do not make the kind of money to live that lifestyle. I am sure the home equity loan is all spent on the above stuff including the trips.

My neighbor is the king of keeping up with the Jones. They now take three Mexico or Caribbean trips per year and they took out a massive home equity loan to put in a new kitchen, drive way, sprinkler system, etc. Oh and they just bought a dog for like 4k. He simply does not get why we do not go to some lavish island for spring break and only go to Arizona. I can only imagine the amount of debt they are in because they do not make the kind of money to live that lifestyle. I am sure the home equity loan is all spent on the above stuff including the trips.
Why do you give a shit?

You're like my grandma and aunt who sat at the kitchen table and gosipped about the neighborhood, aren't you?

Yes.

in non-smartass response though, it’s a circular function that can’t be solved. Think chicken and egg. But what’s clear is that these schools perform better and also have more resources available to them via the higher load of tax income.
I don't believe that's true with the way the state doles out money. I know that, today, the dollars follow the student. Schools get money from the state according to headcount.

IPS spends more per student than schools in the burbs. What does that get them?

Now, part of it is, teachers are paid a premium to teach in the inner cite because of safety concerns. But money has never been the issue when it comes to education.

My mother and her brothers both started out in one-room school houses and did fine in college, compared to kids from larger schools.

4k for a dog when you can go to the shelter and get just about any kind of dog you want?

SMDH.....

I don't believe that's true with the way the state doles out money. I know that, today, the dollars follow the student. Schools get money from the state according to headcount.

IPS spends more per student than schools in the burbs. What does that get them?

Now, part of it is, teachers are paid a premium to teach in the inner cite because of safety concerns. But money has never been the issue when it comes to education.

My mother and her brothers both started out in one-room school houses and did fine in college, compared to kids from larger schools.
I’m not in Indiana so I can’t say for sure. But if you’re saying that the best districts aren’t in affluent areas then we’re gonna be at a disagree. If we agree, and if schools don’t collect tax (like they do here), then it’s strictly a clientele issue. The affluent are less likely to have disruptive kids and will be more involved overall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT