ADVERTISEMENT

Scary Democrat stuff

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Michelle Obama:

Because our leaders matter. Who we select, who speaks for us, who holds that bully pulpit — it affects us in ways that sometimes I think people take for granted,” the former first lady said when asked to name some of her biggest fears keeping her awake.​

“The fact that people think that government, does it really even do anything? And I’m like, ‘Oh my God, does government do everything for us.’ And we cannot take this democracy for granted. And sometimes I worry that we do,” Obama, 59, said.​
Nope.

Yes our leaders matters, a lot. They matter because when they aren’t leaders, when they aren’t decisive, when they are afraid to take a position, when they are not well-informed, and they arent persuasive, the country suffers. Leaders don’t matter when they claim to occupy the bully pulpit or speak for us. The bully pulpit is for bullies, not for leaders.

And government doesn’t, and should never, “do everything for us”. Once government does everything our individualism, our resilience, our work ethic, our creativity, and our self- respect go out the window. Michelle seemingly doesn’t know what “government of the people, by the people, and for the people,“ means. She doesn’t understand what “We the people” means. It doesn’t mean that government leaders are our rulers.

The subtext of her remarks are what scares her and she is concerned about Trump and MAGA voters. It’s okay for her to be concerned , but her response is scary, and more scary because most all democrats will agree with her. “Consent of the governed,” means something and is vital to democracy. The job of government is not to arrogantly crush the opposition the job is to listen to the opposition and build consensus.

“Oh my god, does government do everything for us”

Should leave little doubt as to how Progressives view our relationship with government. They will not stop until all authority and responsibility for your life is handed over to the state. And you will thank the state in return, for its generosity.

Should leave little doubt as to how Progressives view our relationship with government. They will not stop until all authority and responsibility for your life is handed over to the state. And you will thank the state in return, for its generosity.
She’d be more of the same disaster

Reactions: sku and 76-1
And government doesn’t, and should never, “do everything for us”.
Read the sentence that immediately preceded the one you're talking about. She asked rhetorically "does it [government] even do anything." Fair question these days, by the way. Taken in context, and in light of past statements she's made, it's reasonable to assume that she intended to say "anything" again and simply misspoke.

Yes our leaders matters, a lot. They matter because when they aren’t leaders,
Leaders matter because when they aren't leaders . . . [Insert gif of head exploding]

The job of government is not to arrogantly crush the opposition
Tell that to Trump. He and some of his closest cronies have announced that that is exactly what they intend to do in a second Trump administration.

Michelle Obama:

Because our leaders matter. Who we select, who speaks for us, who holds that bully pulpit — it affects us in ways that sometimes I think people take for granted,” the former first lady said when asked to name some of her biggest fears keeping her awake.​

“The fact that people think that government, does it really even do anything? And I’m like, ‘Oh my God, does government do everything for us.’ And we cannot take this democracy for granted. And sometimes I worry that we do,” Obama, 59, said.​
Nope.

Yes our leaders matters, a lot. They matter because when they aren’t leaders, when they aren’t decisive, when they are afraid to take a position, when they are not well-informed, and they arent persuasive, the country suffers. Leaders don’t matter when they claim to occupy the bully pulpit or speak for us. The bully pulpit is for bullies, not for leaders.

And government doesn’t, and should never, “do everything for us”. Once government does everything our individualism, our resilience, our work ethic, our creativity, and our self- respect go out the window. Michelle seemingly doesn’t know what “government of the people, by the people, and for the people,“ means. She doesn’t understand what “We the people” means. It doesn’t mean that government leaders are our rulers.

The subtext of her remarks are what scares her and she is concerned about Trump and MAGA voters. It’s okay for her to be concerned , but her response is scary, and more scary because most all democrats will agree with her. “Consent of the governed,” means something and is vital to democracy. The job of government is not to arrogantly crush the opposition the job is to listen to the opposition and build consensus.
Government doing “everything for us” certainly facilitates the left’s agenda of equal outcomes vs the American fundamental of equal opportunity

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Deep down a lot of progressives are awful humans. They're narcissists who love power and control. She just said the quiet part out loud.

Tell that to Trump. He and some of his closest cronies have announced that that is exactly what they intend to do in a second Trump administration.

On this point alone, even @CO. Hoosier has to admit that Trump has failed. He's purposefully politicized the government. It doesn't matter what anyone else did or didn't do, that's a fact.

“The fact that people think that government, does it really even do anything? And I’m like, ‘Oh my God, does government do everything for us.’ And we cannot take this democracy for granted. And sometimes I worry that we do,” Obama, 59, said.

Interestingly, for how long has the public had this view and when did it change?

Michelle's attitude mirrors the intent of FDR, who used government reliance as a way to stay in power for an unprecedented length of time. But, coming out of the Great Depression, the majority of Americans were favorable to big government.

So what changed and when? Under Reagan? Earlier, later?

Deep down a lot of progressives are awful humans. They're narcissists who love power and control. She just said the quiet part out loud.
First off I doubt many "progressives" view either Michelle or BO as "progresives"... And seriously you're going to accuse "progressives" of "Narcissism" in a political world where Donald Trump exists? MAGA is the epitome of a messianic cult of people who worship the ultimate narcissist.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
On this point alone, even @CO. Hoosier has to admit that Trump has failed. He's purposefully politicized the government. It doesn't matter what anyone else did or didn't do, that's a fact.
If CO had any intent of ever criticizing Trump as dangerous, he wouldn't start an obscure thread on Michelle Obama. Especialy coming just days after Trump said the quiet part out loud, about hoping the economy crashed under Biden, so he (Trump) would get elected and wouldn't be seen as "Herbert Hoover"...

First off I doubt many "progressives" view either Michelle or BO as "progresives"... And seriously you're going to accuse "progressives" of "Narcissism" in a political world where Donald Trump exists? MAGA is the epitome of a messianic cult of people who worship the ultimate narcissist.
Oh no there’s no scarier narcissistic cult than progressives. It’s not even close. And Michelle isn’t Barack as Hilary isn’t bill. Michelle would be like the squad. Complete disaster.

Reactions: sku and jet812
Oh no there’s no scarier narcissistic cult than progressives. It’s not even close. And Michelle isn’t Barack as Hilary isn’t bill. Michelle would be like the squad. Complete disaster.
VDH and Megyn discussed big Mike yesterday. Good listen.

This thread isn’t about Trump.
Wanna bet?
If CO had any intent of ever criticizing Trump as dangerous, he wouldn't start an obscure thread on Michelle Obama. Especialy coming just days after Trump said the quiet part out loud, about hoping the economy crashed under Biden, so he (Trump) would get elected and wouldn't be seen as "Herbert Hoover"...
This thread isn’t about me either.

If anybody wants to discuss the size, scope and purpose of government or MO’s view of that, I’m happy to engage.

If anybody wants to discuss the size, scope and purpose of government or MO’s view of that, I’m happy to engage.

The question is, do you agree that Trump violated that statement? Is Trump a bully or a leader? Can one be both?

Interestingly, for how long has the public had this view and when did it change?

Michelle's attitude mirrors the intent of FDR, who used government reliance as a way to stay in power for an unprecedented length of time. But, coming out of the Great Depression, the majority of Americans were favorable to big government.

Like the frog in a pot of water, the change in how government is viewed and operates is gradual. Soon we will get to a point where we say “yikes, what happened?”

Lots of moving parts are causing this. Certainly the New Deal is part of that. Then such things like the GI bill, the rise in paternalistic benefits, public education that decreases individualism, the imperial presidency, the dominance of bureaucratic rules, student loans and then forgiveness, government health care, Covid and more have contributed. I’m not saying all these things were bad, some were needed and good. Nor am I taking a libertarian stance here. But I think the trend towards more government reliance is unmistakable. This kind of government relationship with the governed is , in my view, not sustainable. MO woukd make it worse. I think the trend can be reversed, but first we need to see the problem.

For some trump is all there is. Sad.

I'll think about it more, but my first assumption is it changes slowly with each generation. Similar to generations getting softer as innovation has made life easier.

Like the frog in a pot of water, the change in how government is viewed and operates is gradual. Soon we will get to a point where we say “yikes, what happened?”
Now you're talking! Democracy seldom disappears overnight, or as though a switch has been thrown. The backsliding of democracy into autocracy generally happens over time. In the meantime, there's still a constitution. There are still elections. They cease to have much/any meaning, though.

Lol what exactly do you base this on? Considering Michelle has adamently denied being interested in politics, I doubt that you know anything about what her policies would be.

Lots of moving parts are causing this. Certainly the New Deal is part of that. Then such things like the GI bill, the rise in paternalistic benefits, public education that decreases individualism, the imperial presidency, the dominance of bureaucratic rules, student loans and then forgiveness, government health care, Covid and more have contributed. I’m not saying all these things were bad, some were needed and good. Nor am I taking a libertarian stance here. But I think the trend towards more government reliance is unmistakable. This kind of government relationship with the governed is , in my view, not sustainable. MO woukd make it worse. I think the trend can be reversed, but first we need to see the problem.

not like a frog in water at all. growth of big govt was fast. growth of welfare state is a myth.

and you're confusing the growth of the federal government, which started during the depression and then exploded during WW2. with the growth of the welfare spending, which hasn't grown much (now 2.3% of GDP, was 2.1% in 1940) minus some economic downturns and a pandemic.

not sure why you lobbed "public education that decreases individualism" into a mix that includes some decent points. other than that it made you feel good? lol

Reactions: hoosboot
Lol what exactly do you base this on? Considering Michelle has adamently denied being interested in politics, I doubt that you know anything about what her policies would be.
I’ve heard her interviews. She’d be awful. Woke bs

Change your handle to Trumpmania. He’s not on your my mind about as often as IU is in a bowl game.
He's a twice-impeached former president who's running for president again with four pending indictments and 91 criminal counts. He's defending civil suits for fraud and defamation. His company has already been convicted of fraud and the organization may go belly-up. He spews bullshit and lies every day of his life, he tried to overturn an election he lost, and he's one of the greatest con men who ever lived. But no one can think about him or talk about him - - - unless it's justification, praise or promotion. Too effing funny. And what's even funnier is that you seem to have given up trying to defend him. There's never any substantive reply. It's just allegations of "TDS!" Weak.

He's a twice-impeached former president who's running for president again with four pending indictments and 91 criminal counts. He's defending civil suits for fraud and defamation. His company has already been convicted of fraud and the organization may go belly-up. He spews bullshit and lies every day of his life, he tried to overturn an election he lost, and he's one of the greatest con men who ever lived. But no one can think about him or talk about him - - - unless it's justification, praise or promotion. Too effing funny. And what's even funnier is that you seem to have given up trying to defend him. There's never any substantive reply. It's just allegations of "TDS!" Weak.

I was worried about you when you didn't mention Trump in your previous response to me. You made up for it on this post. All is well.

Reactions: jet812
I'm not sure how much it will hurt IU. They were stuck in the more difficult division, so their schedule will probably be less difficult some years than it has been the past few years.
People didn’t care about bowls this year. Players or fans save the playoffs. Expand to 12 no one will care, players will sit out, transfer etc.

None of that is iu’s fault. At least not today. It’ll be interesting to see how they do with a fun belt roster. I predict better than people think. But again it won’t matter. Iu is stuck in a super conference

I was worried about you when you didn't mention Trump in your previous response to me. You made up for it on this post. All is well.
I rest my case.

Never anything of substance in reply.

Good point, though, about the elimination of divisions. No more PSU, OSU and UM every stinking year. Yeah, there are some decent Pac 12 teams they'll now have to contend with but UW will drop off markedly without Penix, UCLA and USC aren't what they used to be, and Oregon struggles defensively. We'll see what C3 can do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT