ADVERTISEMENT

Legaliazation: Unintended Consequences

The article is mostly bullshit ..

Unless the blackmarket shit is schwag or mids - does anyone actually smoke mids anymore - it's not cheaper than dispensary.

Dispensaries will sell zips as low as 120 though it's generally much higher. Street is still generally 240 to 320 and as low as 180 in some cities it's not cheaper. Of course there's growers who go around the system and not sell in dispensaries but they're an exception not the rule.

Most blackmarket is overflow, or cannabis that didn't pass muster. ie under 20% THC which just doesn't move in dispensaries. Another major source of blackmarket is cannabis bought from legal dispensaries, or direct from legal growers and resold at higher prices in illegal states.

Though not as out of touch as Reefer Madness, the person writing that is pretty much out of touch ...
I don't know a single person who buys on the black market anymore. I live in the Region. Literally everyone goes to either Illinois or Michigan. Why wouldn't you? Dispensary is convenient, better quality, better priced for the quality, and options galore.

Like you said articles like this are bullshit. Of course a black market still exist. The mainstream market is still figuring itself out. Federal legalization would be helpful on that front. A national 3 tier system like we have for alcohol should be implemented as well. we Still be have hiccups with booze occasionally and that's been legal for close to 100 years now.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Have heard Niles has a lot of places and just over state line.

I remember before you could buy beer on Sunday in IN there was a was a little store in a tiny town that was basically kept open by IN people. They remodeled the place and a yr or two later when IN law changed they were closed.

Have heard Niles has a lot of places and just over state line.

I remember before you could buy beer on Sunday in IN there was a was a little store in a tiny town that was basically kept open by IN people. They remodeled the place and a yr or two later when IN law changed they were closed.
Union Market. Yep closed right after sunday sales started in Indiana. they have since reopened i think?

Niles has a couple spots. My favorite shop is called LUME. Its a chain in Michigan. They have a spot in Kalamazoo. Its basically an Apple store for weed.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I don't know a single person who buys on the black market anymore.
Me either .. well, that's not completely true. I know of a rare few who buy bulk and resell but they buy that bulk from legal sources but again exception, not rule.

Almost everyone I know who partakes makes monthly or weekly trips to Illinois or Michigan.

I don't know a single person who buys on the black market anymore. I live in the Region. Literally everyone goes to either Illinois or Michigan. Why wouldn't you? Dispensary is convenient, better quality, better priced for the quality, and options galore.

Like you said articles like this are bullshit. Of course a black market still exist. The mainstream market is still figuring itself out. Federal legalization would be helpful on that front. A national 3 tier system like we have for alcohol should be implemented as well. we Still be have hiccups with booze occasionally and that's been legal for close to 100 years now.
Is it possible the experience in California is different from what we have in the Midwest? I could see 2 things that could make it different:

1) Higher regulatory costs and
2)Closer proximity to Mexico so more black market product readily available

Union Market. Yep closed right after sunday sales started in Indiana. they have since reopened i think?

Niles has a couple spots. My favorite shop is called LUME. Its a chain in Michigan. They have a spot in Kalamazoo. Its basically an Apple store for weed.
Not last I was through Union a few months ago.

Is it possible the experience in California is different from what we have in the Midwest? I could see 2 things that could make it different:

That very well could be. I think in the long run the convenience factor will win out. We Americans love convenience. Maybe more than anything. The feds stepping up and legalizing will go a long way. Then the dispensaries can buy out of state for better prices and their insurance/liability cost should lower dramatically.

the 70's are over they want their word back.
It seems like you fancy yourself king weed man around these parts with the know it all attitude you adopt while dispersing all these little Mary Jane factoids.

I’d like to see you meet me at the top of reefer mountain and we’ll see who can suck down the most hash.

Last edited:
Reactions: jet812

1. Dispensary prices in California are slightly lower than prices in midwest. 75$ per ounce is not uncommon.

2. The Mexicans are upping their growing game but it's still very early in that process and they do not and will not supply California. It's California, they grow more cannabis than any other state and tend to have surplus even with the fires.

3. The blackmarket game in California is grown in California.. most of it, but not all, legally.

5. Maybe the thing is, that article is bullshit and very poorly researched.

It seems like you fancy yourself king weed man around these parts with know it all attitude you adopt while dispersing all these little Mary Jane factoids.

I’d like to see you meet me at the top of reefer mountain and we’ll see who can suck down the most hash.
Did I give you permission to speak to me? No. I didn't not.

So, why are you speaking to me?

Go away ..

• Haha

The Smoke Off

In the laid back California town of sunny San Rafael
Lived a girl named Pearly Sweetcake, you prob’ly knew her well.
She’d been stoned fifteen of her eighteen years and the story was widely told
That she could smoke 'em faster than anyone could roll.
Her legend finally reached New York, that Grove Street walk up flat
Where dwelt The Calistoga Kid, a beatnik from the past
With long browned lightnin’ fingers he takes a cultured toke
And says, "Hell, I can roll em faster, Jim, than any chick can smoke!"

So a note gets sent to San Rafael, "For the Championship of the World
The Kid demands a smoke off!" "Well, bring him on!" says Pearl,
"I'll grind his fingers off his hands, he'll roll until he drops!"
Says Calistog, "I'll smoke that twist till she blows up and pops!"
So they rent out Yankee Stadium and the word is quickly spread
"Come one, come all, who walk or crawl, price Just two lids a head
And from every town and hamlet, over land and sea they speed
The world's greatest dopers, with the Worlds greatest weed
Hashishers from Morocco, hemp smokers from Peru
And the Shamnicks from Bagun who puff the deadly Pugaroo
And those who call it Light of Life and those that call it boo.

See the dealers and their ladies wearing turquoise, lace, and leather
See the narcos and the closet smokers puffin’ all together
From the teenies who smoke legal to the ones who've done some time
To the old man who smoked "reefer" back before it was a crime
And the grand old house that Ruth built is filled with the smoke and cries
Of fifty thousand screaming heads all stoned out of their minds.
And they play the national anthem and the crowd lets out a roar
As the spotlight hits The Kid and Pearl, ready for their smokin' war
At a table piled up high with grass, as high as a mountain peak
Just tops and buds of the rarest flowers, not one stem, branch or seed.

Maui Wowie, Panama Red and Acapulco Gold.
Kif from East Afghanistan and rare Alaskan Cold.
Sticks from Thailand, Ganja from the Islands, and Bangkok's Bloomin' Best.
And some of that wet imported shit that capsized off Key West.
Oaxacan tops and Kenya Bhang and Riviera Fleurs.
And that rare Manhatten Silver that grows down in the New York sewers.
And there's bubblin’ ice cold lemonade and sweet grapes by the bunches.
And there's Hershey’s bars, and Oreos, case anybody gets the munchies.
And the Calistoga Kid, he sneers, and Pearly, she just grins.
And the drums roll low and the crowd yells "GO!" and the world’s first Smoke Off begins.

Kid flicks his magic fingers once and ZAP! that first joint’s rolled.
Pearl takes one drag with her mighty lungs and WOOSH! that roach is cold.
Then The Kid he rolls his Super Bomb that’d paralyze a moose.
And Pearley takes one super hit and SLURP! that bomb’ defused.
Then he rolls three in just ten seconds and she smokes 'em up in nine,
And everybody sits back and says, "This just might take some time."
See the blur of flyin’ fingers, see the red coal burnin’ bright
As the night turns into mornin’ and the mornin’ fades to night
And the autumn turns to summer and a whole damn year is gone
But the two still sit on that roach filled stage, smokin' and rollin' on
With tremblin’ hands he rolls his jays with fingers blue and stiff
She coughs and stares with bloodshot gaze, and puffs through blistered lips.
And as she reaches out her hand for another stick of gold
The Kid he gasps, "Goddamn it, bitch, there's nothin' left to roll!"
"Nothin’ left to roll?", screams Pearl, "Is this some twisted joke?"
"I didn't come here to **** around, man, I come here to SMOKE!"
And she reaches 'cross the table And grabs his bony sleeves
And she crumbles his body between her hands like dried and brittle leaves
Flickin' out his teeth and bones like useless stems and seeds
And then she rolls him in a Zig Zag and lights him like a roach.
And the fastest man with the fastest hands goes up in a puff of smoke.

In the laid back California town of sunny San Rafael
Lives a girl named Pearly Sweetcake, you prob’ly know her well.
She’s been stoned twenty one of her twenty four years, and the story’s widely told.
How she still can smoke them faster than anyone can roll
While off in New York City on a street that has no name.
There's the hands of the Calistoga Kid in the Viper Hall of Fame
And underneath his fingers there's a little golden scroll
That says, Beware of Bein’ the Roller When There's Nothin’ Left to Roll.
© by owner. provided at no charge for educational purposes

by Shel Silverstein

Last edited:
It seems like you fancy yourself king weed man around these parts with the know it all attitude you adopt while dispersing all these little Mary Jane factoids.

No he's the god damned trans police. So the types of whack drugs go deep man. Nothing to see here move along.

Indiana is so dumb when it comes to this issue. People will die because they are forced to buy it off the streets vs at a dispensary that is regulated and safe. So so dumb.

Reactions: mrhighlife
I'm about to go pick up 2 1gram vape cartridges and 400mg of gummies for $50. Yeah I'd say the prices have dropped. I love the times we live in.
It’s not good for business tho. With taxes, regulations, and the black market it’s not an easy business. We sell to the dispensaries at a deep discount to get in then they set the price. If more licenses get granted it’ll make it even more difficult. We have two licenses and are trying to not have to sell one for additional funding. The MSOs are buying them for a fraction of what they once were

Reactions: larsIU
It’s not good for business tho. With taxes, regulations, and the black market it’s not an easy business. We sell to the dispensaries at a deep discount to get in then they set the price. If more licenses get granted it’ll make it even more difficult. We have two licenses and are trying to not have to sell one for additional funding. The MSOs are buying them for a fraction of what they once were
I don't what the margins everyone is working with so I can't say whether these low prices are good, bad or other.

You're opening 2 dispensaries? Am I reading that right?

I don't what the margins everyone is working with so I can't say whether these low prices are good, bad or other.

You're opening 2 dispensaries? Am I reading that right?
No we manufacture edibles and suckers and shit. We are in 80 plus dispensaries. We also have a dispensary license but haven’t opened yet. In Chicago.

It’s a blackhole of expenses. Post pandemic demand is on the decline too

Last edited:

Assuming sales is where it should be, expense control is critical. Too often you will go after payroll, when you could just as easily get several points at looking at your supply partners and general operating expenses.

I didn't always look at cost; you had to factor in terms and quality and delivery and minimums (cash flow) and all that shit, and there's a difference between being ruthless and being smart. It's like a Dave Ramsey budget -- look at every expense line and see what is necessary vs. what is nice.

Production efficiencies play a part as well. I wasn't involved in that much, but was able to suggest and/or implement some things that paid off in the long run. If you can get 5% more out the door by adjusting your work flow and floor layout and material handling, that will eventually translate to money. Constantly be asking your staff what could be done to make their jobs easier and faster. They know, and they will love that you're asking for their input instead of dictating to them.

Assuming sales is where it should be, expense control is critical. Too often you will go after payroll, when you could just as easily get several points at looking at your supply partners and general operating expenses.

I didn't always look at cost; you had to factor in terms and quality and delivery and minimums (cash flow) and all that shit, and there's a difference between being ruthless and being smart. It's like a Dave Ramsey budget -- look at every expense line and see what is necessary vs. what is nice.

Production efficiencies play a part as well. I wasn't involved in that much, but was able to suggest and/or implement some things that paid off in the long run. If you can get 5% more out the door by adjusting your work flow and floor layout and material handling, that will eventually translate to money. Constantly be asking your staff what could be done to make their jobs easier and faster. They know, and they will love that you're asking for their input instead of dictating to them.
all good suggestions/advice. i really don't do any of that stuff or am involved in any of htat. the company is my best friend's midlife crisis baby. he roped in another close friend of ours in the same boat. all told we've raised/pumped in 3 mil. i do all of the promotional merchandising, review regs when needed, and call on the southern ill dispensaries. we're looking at "partnering" in a manufacturing sense with a mo outfit that will require me to do more, if i want. it's nothing i care too much about or am interested in. they're just lifelong friends. since 1st grade. family really. it would have been smarter to sell the licenses when it was super hot. but ....

You know what’s funny in reading your post. Our Pakistan factory basically keeps zero inventory. When we put in orders they literally “go to the market” to get what they need. It’s so different than the factories we’ve used here. They also add and drop employees based on weekly orders

You know what’s funny in reading your post. Our Pakistan factory basically keeps zero inventory. When we put in orders they literally “go to the market” to get what they need. It’s so different than the factories we’ve used here. They also add and drop employees based on weekly orders
So the lead time for them on materials is basically zero. That's great if you can get your suppliers to hold inventory for you. I had that worked out with a couple of my suppliers. They held inventory for me and shipped on demand.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
So the lead time for them on materials is basically zero. That's great if you can get your suppliers to hold inventory for you. I had that worked out with a couple of my suppliers. They held inventory for me and shipped on demand.
They run incredibly lean. I want to go over there sometime

Is your product local to St Louis or are you in other states?

What's it called?

No we manufacture edibles and suckers and shit. We are in 80 plus dispensaries. We also have a dispensary license but haven’t opened yet. In Chicago.

Very cool. Market oversaturated. It will shake out and the winners will make out great. I hope you are one of them. If you sold in Michigan I'd be a customer.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Very cool. Market oversaturated. It will shake out and the winners will make out great. I hope you are one of them. If you sold in Michigan I'd be a customer.
When the law allows us to ship I’ll pm you and send you a box to last a decade

Brown box

Reactions: mrhighlife
I'm about to go pick up 2 1gram vape cartridges and 400mg of gummies for $50. Yeah I'd say the prices have dropped. I love the times we live in.
lol… always thought your handle stood for

200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT