ADVERTISEMENT

Leal to Announce This Friday

Any real IU fan will be glad to add Leal, if that is the case.

For a long time I have thought it will take a group of in-state kids committed to turning the program around. Kids interested in IU's success as much as their own. Galloway and Leal seem to embody that idea. Time will tell.

Just hang a banner then.

Seems like a good kid and good addition, but you don’t win championships with kids ranked outside the top 100. You rarely even make the tournament as a matter of fact.

Texas Tech played in the national title game last year and didn't have a single starter ranked in the top 100. In fact 3/5 were ranked outside the top 200.

Texas Tech played in the national title game last year and didn't have a single starter ranked in the top 100. In fact 3/5 were ranked outside the top 200.
“Texas Tech didn’t win so I’m right and this team is a dumpster fire that won’t even get in the tournament, Kiddo. Also Archie is a clown and so am I!” - fpeaugh

Last edited:
but you don’t win championships with kids ranked outside the top 100.

It bears repeating...

Villanova's 2017-18 National Champions had a rotation that consisted of 8 players.

Here are their Recruiting Services Consensus Index Top 100 rankings:

Spellman - 17
Brunson - 19
Cosby-Roundtree - 74
Booth - 84
Bridges - 96
DiVincenzo - N/A
Paschall - N/A
Gillespie - N/A

So they had two guys who were at the upper reaches of the Top 20. Three guys who were in the last quartile of the Top 100. And three more guys who didn't make the Top 100.

And each one of these players were key contributors to that team's success. All but two of them averaged double figures. And two of the ones who did average double figures (DiVincenzo and Paschall) were not Top 100 RSCI recruits.

Now, I'm not saying that Archie is in the process of building a team that is as good as they were. I don't know if Leal (if he's a Hoosier) and Galloway are critical pieces of a puzzle that looks like success. Only time will tell.

But it certainly does belie your contention that you can't win championships with players outside the Top 100.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
BTW, since I was curious and already at a place where I could find this data, I decided to look up the RSCI rankings for Texas Tech's team from this past year.

They had precisely one player who played who was Top 100 in the RSCI (Brandone Francis, who was ranked 31st and averaged 6.5 ppg in 24 mpg). Every other player who made the floor for them was outside the Top 100 in the RSCI.

How about Auburn?

Top 8 players...

Brown - N/A
Harper - 87
Okeke - 48
Doughty - N/A
McLemore - N/A
Dunbar - N/A
Wiley - N/A
Spencer - 58

Again...proof that the roster CAM is assembling is a NC caliber team? Nope.

Proof that you're wrong that you can't go anywhere in the tournament with unheralded recruits? Yep.

Reactions: Easton West
It bears repeating...

Villanova's 2017-18 National Champions had a rotation that consisted of 8 players.

Spellman - 17
Brunson - 19
Cosby-Roundtree - 74
Booth - 84
Bridges - 96
DiVincenzo - N/A
Paschall - N/A
Gillespie - N/A

So they had two guys who were at the upper reaches of the Top 20. Three guys who were in the last quartile of the Top 100. And three more guys who didn't make the Top 100.

And each one of these players were key contributors to that team's success. All but two of them averaged double figures. And two of the ones who did average double figures (DiVincenzo and Paschall) were not Top 100 RSCI recruits.

Now, I'm not saying that Archie is in the process of building a team that is as good as they were. I don't know if Leal (if he's a Hoosier) and Galloway are critical pieces of a puzzle that looks like success. Only time will tell.

But it certainly does belie your contention that you can't win championships with players outside the Top 100.
Yeah, people can get their britches in a bundle on these rankings. It would be great if we could consistently sign the top level talent but right now, we're not at that recruiting level. So we look to the so called Villanova/Virginia model developing older talent. Not sure if one is better than the other but what does seem to be the case, if you want to win a title, you have to have some NBA talent on your roster. Not necessarily one and done talent, just player or players that are going to be on an NBA roster. Bridges, Brunson, Divincenzo, are playing in the big boy league with Paschall and Spellman in the G league.

Will any of our current roster players or recruits end up in the league? I hope so, time will tell.

It bears repeating...

Spellman - 17
Brunson - 19
Cosby-Roundtree - 74
Booth - 84
Bridges - 96
DiVincenzo - N/A
Paschall - N/A
Gillespie - N/A

I remember when Royce Waltman said in basketball, all you need are two guys who can shoot and three fat guys who can rebound.

Reactions: alishedobbs
Not sure if one is better than the other but what does seem to be the case, if you want to win a title, you have to have some NBA talent on your roster.

If you don't "have to" have that kind of talent, there's no question that it helps.

Nobody's arguing against going after highly-touted recruits. But the assertion that fpeaugh made was absurd.

You want another example from last season? Purdue. They had one guy on their roster who was a Top 100 recruit -- and it wasn't Carsen Edwards*. It was Nojel Eastern, who chimed in at 67th. The rest were outside the Top 100 in the RSCI. And they were as good as anybody in last season's tourney.

(*I should point out that Edwards was ranked in the high 80s by 247 and ESPN...but he didn't crack 100 in RSCI)

I really want Leal at IU.
His has a beautiful follow thru and release on his shot.

Wonderful post, Patches O'Houlihan. You were able to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge in that one.

I respect anyone who can quote Patches, let alone know who he is.
You sir, are a true renaissance man. I tip my chapeau to you

Archie isn’t near the caliber of coach that Bennett, Wright, and Beard are. Just because those three have had success with lower ranked recruits doesn’t mean Archie will.

Archie isn’t near the caliber of coach that Bennett, Wright, and Beard are. Just because those three have had success with lower ranked recruits doesn’t mean Archie will.

Archie has already had some success with lower ranked recruits at Dayton.

20-13
17-14
26-11
27-9
25-8
24-8

Tony Bennett's first two years at Virginia...
15-16
16-15

Jay Wright's first two years at Villanova...
19-13
15-16

Archie isn't the only coach to have a rough start. I wonder if Bennett, Wright, Barnes, Krzyzewski, and Izzo received as much flack by their respective fans during their rough starts as Archie does here...

There are thousands of coaches who have had rough starts that didn't amount to anything, but I'm an optimist and believe that Archie will fall in line with those mentioned above.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT