ADVERTISEMENT

Leal to Announce This Friday

Crean's thing was recruiting players who developed themselves.
That's a pretty mean thing to say. I realize this is an opinion, but it seems unfair. For balance:

"Several times after deciding on Georgia, Edwards admitted that the way Crean coached up and developed Wade and Oladipo into talented players caught his attention and was a factor in his decision. Despite the differences between developing a player from an unknown into a NBA prospect and bringing in a player already polished, Crean promises that Edwards' talent won't change how he’s coached."

The percentages highly suggest he won’t be. It doesn’t mean it’s impossible. I could also win the lottery tonight if I bought a ticket.
You like to reference percentages but you don't know what the actual percentages are. What you are actually referring to are what you feel the percentages ought to be. Your equating actual, factual numbers with your feelings. This is shown by you saying that the chances a coach has of being successful after 2 seasons of finishing with records barely over 0.500 and missing the NCAAT is the same as winning the lottery.

No program has ever had sustained success shuffling coaches every 2 years. Crean admittedly was held on for a year or two too long but Archie is NOWHERE close to approaching Crean territory. He’s had 1 full recruiting class for God’s sake. He is going to get 3 years at minimum and likely 4, maybe 5 and deservedly so. There is absolutely zero way you can judge a coach until he gets his players in place playing his system.

When your primary purpose is to be a non-grad troll here exclusively to trash IU...you can do anything you want. and he does.

A lot of cold, hard truth in there, unfortunately. The top brass at IU would do well to read that thread but alas they are forever stuck in their bubble thinking the program is better than everyone else’s.

Sounds like a lot of fear to me from a fan base that considers IU inferior. Why even make a thread talking about a program they no longer play? All I'm going to say is that IU was at its best as a program when they were primarily recruiting Indiana kids. Of course there are exceptions like Buckner, Thomas, etc but I respect Archie's approach to keeping Indiana talent in-state.

That's a pretty mean thing to say. I realize this is an opinion, but it seems unfair. For balance:

"Several times after deciding on Georgia, Edwards admitted that the way Crean coached up and developed Wade and Oladipo into talented players caught his attention and was a factor in his decision. Despite the differences between developing a player from an unknown into a NBA prospect and bringing in a player already polished, Crean promises that Edwards' talent won't change how he’s coached."
Pretty mean?! Bahahaha what a fn pus pad you are. Sound like my little sister bout 20 yrs ago. Man card gone bitch boy..oh sorry that was pretty mean of me bahahaha

When your primary purpose is to be a non-grad troll here exclusively to trash IU...you can do anything you want. and he does.
But you’re a non-grad troll, too. So hard to tell you guys apart, especially since you’re posting under multiple handles.

Pretty mean?! Bahahaha what a fn pus pad you are. Sound like my little sister bout 20 yrs ago. Man card gone bitch boy..oh sorry that was pretty mean of me bahahaha
Ad hominen attacks speak poorly for you.

The risk/reward? You’re looking at shelling out $17mil to make a coach go away after 2 years who was never even given the opportunity to get his feet off the ground, and you somehow think that job is going to command any kind of respectable suitors? You’re going to end up hiring another mid-major coach that could end up being Chris Beard or John Groce, but we all know it doesn’t matter to you.
He’s dumb as a bag of hammers.

Reactions: twenty02
Why do you do this shit? Someone calls you out for being a dumb douche and then you make wild claims about who posters supported and when. As if you have any idea. F******* douchey, man. Lol.
He does it because he’s a lying (or senile) anti-IU troll. He lives to bash IU. It apparently keeps the miserable old man’s ticker going.

A lot of cold, hard truth in there, unfortunately. The top brass at IU would do well to read that thread but alas they are forever stuck in their bubble thinking the program is better than everyone else’s.

Evidenced by firing a coach a year removed from a big ten title? Then hiring one of the best candidates who checked all the boxes? And paying him top-ten money?

We get that IU b-ball has been down for a generation but Glass and Archie didn’t make that so. Glass’ legacy is now tied to his two most recent hires.

Let...it..play...out. For f***s sake...

Reactions: Rakkasan29
That’s the first time I’ve ever been on a Ky forum. Some people here need to go read that thread. For the most part it’s very accurate and shows how the rest of the country views us.

A) I don't really care how anybody else views us. Neither should you or anybody else.

B) How do you think the rest of the country views Kentucky? And do you think any Kentucky people really care...so long as they're winning?

C) At the end of the day, what matters most is what our teams do on the court. That's true for Kentucky, it's true for Indiana, it's true for Duke, it's true for Valpo. No, it's not all that matters -- things like integrity, academics, etc. also matter a great deal. But, if you're not winning, you're not successful...no matter how well you're doing in other aspects.

D) You're still demonstrably wrong that having rosters filled with the bluest-of-the-blue chip recruits is necessary to be successful.

And, in fact, Kentucky's tournament experience last year is Exhibit A. They barely beat Houston (who had one Top 100 recruit -- the 55th from 2016) and then lost to Auburn (who had two Top 100 recruits who saw significant minutes -- an 87th and a 48th).

Kentucky didn't have anybody getting minutes ranked worse than 35th. And most of them were top 15.

Reactions: minneman
What was this thread about? Oh, right. Leal potentially to IU on Friday. As with every single thread on this board a fpew anti-IU dumb butts make it all about them.

I'm all for 5 star recruits but guys like Leal and Galloway in the program 3 to 4 years makes IU better. That's what matters.

Another thing about Leal and Galloway is height. Like Fife and Hornsby, Will Sheehey and Oladipo, Ellis and Crawford, Hart and Wilkerson, having bigger guards can really help defensively and gives IU more options at the wing. In the brief time that Hartman was healthy, he gave IU some versatility.

Reactions: Eurocyldon
Back to the subject at hand...Leal indicated just a week or two ago that he hadn't even finished his application to Stanford, and his offer didn't mean much if he couldn't get in, so he needed to find that out.

It seems pretty unlikely that he got the application done and sent in and got an answer that quick doesn't it? Or do they expedite the applications for prospective athletes? Seems pretty likely to me that he's choosing IU, after the Galloway commit. Right?

Reactions: Eurocyldon
Another thing about Leal and Galloway is height. Like Fife and Hornsby, Will Sheehey and Oladipo, Ellis and Crawford, Hart and Wilkerson, having bigger guards can really help defensively and gives IU more options at the wing. In the brief time that Hartman was healthy, he gave IU some versatility.
Galloway is a solid 2-way player, a floor leader, and a shut down defensive player. Leal is a perimeter shooter and a shot maker. Both what IU needs!

Back to the subject at hand...Leal indicated just a week or two ago that he hadn't even finished his application to Stanford, and his offer didn't mean much if he couldn't get in, so he needed to find that out.

It seems pretty unlikely that he got the application done and sent in and got an answer that quick doesn't it? Or do they expedite the applications for prospective athletes? Seems pretty likely to me that he's choosing IU, after the Galloway commit. Right?
From all accounts, Leal is an intelligent kid who has great grades. So unless his SAT score was absolutely terrible, I have no doubt he'd get in to Stanford. For athletes, there likely is an expedited acceptance procedure. Even if it's not, the coaches can ensure he'll get in. In other words, I wouldn't hold out hope that he'll choose IU just because he doesn't know if he can get in to Stanford or not.

I would like to congratulate you. You were mentioned as a spot on poster by someone other than myself.
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/iu’s-culture-is-the-problem.300733/#post-8127034

This link may not be popular with IU fans and forum posters, but it hits the nail on the head in a lot of ways. There are a lot of valid points.

Indiana has become an inferior program that has settled for mediocrity and is having a heck of a time getting on the right path. It is terribly disappointing as I believe most on this forum love IU.

I hope Miller can get it done. I personally believe he should get 4 years but can certainly understand other opinions.

From all accounts, Leal is an intelligent kid who has great grades. So unless his SAT score was absolutely terrible, I have no doubt he'd get in to Stanford. For athletes, there likely is an expedited acceptance procedure. Even if it's not, the coaches can ensure he'll get in. In other words, I wouldn't hold out hope that he'll choose IU just because he doesn't know if he can get in to Stanford or not.

My point isn't that he's not sure if he can get in so he's just gonna choose IU, or that he can't get in, it's that he probably didn't go from "I haven't applied" to "I've been accepted" in like 2 weeks.

A) I don't really care how anybody else views us. Neither should you or anybody else.

B) How do you think the rest of the country views Kentucky? And do you think any Kentucky people really care...so long as they're winning?

C) At the end of the day, what matters most is what our teams do on the court. That's true for Kentucky, it's true for Indiana, it's true for Duke, it's true for Valpo. No, it's not all that matters -- things like integrity, academics, etc. also matter a great deal. But, if you're not winning, you're not successful...no matter how well you're doing in other aspects.

D) You're still demonstrably wrong that having rosters filled with the bluest-of-the-blue chip recruits is necessary to be successful.

And, in fact, Kentucky's tournament experience last year is Exhibit A. They barely beat Houston (who had one Top 100 recruit -- the 55th from 2016) and then lost to Auburn (who had two Top 100 recruits who saw significant minutes -- an 87th and a 48th).

Kentucky didn't have anybody getting minutes ranked worse than 35th. And most of them were top 15.

Trying to have a real debate with him is a totally pointless exercise. Your dog would provide a better sounding board, and give more intelligent responses.

Wonderful post, Patches O'Houlihan. You were able to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge in that one.

I respect anyone who can quote Patches, let alone know who he is.
You sir, are a true renaissance man. I tip my chapeau to you

i remember Patches. iirc, she lived down by the river that flowed by the coal yards.

No program has ever had sustained success shuffling coaches every 2 years. Crean admittedly was held on for a year or two too long but Archie is NOWHERE close to approaching Crean territory. He’s had 1 full recruiting class for God’s sake. He is going to get 3 years at minimum and likely 4, maybe 5 and deservedly so. There is absolutely zero way you can judge a coach until he gets his players in place playing his system.

Crean was held too long but not because Glass didn't try.

A. You should care how recruits see us.

B. Recruits love UK.

C. It takes good players to win. We sure haven’t done much winning in 30 years.

D. I never said it’s necessary, I said it helps tremendously with percentages.

The bottom line is you don’t understand percentages. We can’t be all 300 D1 teams. You’re comparing UK and Duke vs the field of over 300 teams. Of course the field will win. But on a percentage basis your odds are tremendously better with blue chip recruits.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
A. You should care how recruits see us.

B. Recruits love UK.

C. It takes good players to win. We sure haven’t done much winning in 30 years.

D. I never said it’s necessary, I said it helps tremendously with percentages.

The bottom line is you don’t understand percentages. We can’t be all 300 D1 teams. You’re comparing UK and Duke vs the field of over 300 teams. Of course the field will win. But on a percentage basis your odds are tremendously better with blue chip recruits.

Some recruits love KY. Frankly, most of them I would not want in Btown anyway.

Its an alumni thing...you wouldn't understand.

Reactions: 76-1
Some recruits love KY. Frankly, most of them I would not want in Btown anyway.

Its an alumni thing...you wouldn't understand.
With a huge list of Indiana high school talent Kentucky has poached over the decades I don't think you mean what you said. You don't think you would like to have James Blackmon, Sr. or Kyle Macy here, in Bloomington? I don't think having IU alumnus affinity somehow trumps appreciating college basketball excellence. It doesn't for me.

With a huge list of Indiana high school talent Kentucky has poached over the decades I don't think you mean what you said. You don't think you would like to have James Blackmon, Sr. or Kyle Macy here, in Bloomington? I don't think having IU alumnus affinity somehow trumps appreciating college basketball excellence. It doesn't for me.

Blackmon and Macy weren't 1NDones. Blackmon and Macy were not recruited by today's outsorced KY State program.

Anything else?

He’s not very familiar with the history of IU basketball. Among other things, he isn’t an alumnus, so his lack of familiarity is understandable.

This link may not be popular with IU fans and forum posters, but it hits the nail on the head in a lot of ways. There are a lot of valid points.

Indiana has become an inferior program that has settled for mediocrity and is having a heck of a time getting on the right path. It is terribly disappointing as I believe most on this forum love IU.

I hope Miller can get it done. I personally believe he should get 4 years but can certainly understand other opinions.
Anti-IU troll alert. It’s amazing how many of you joined years ago and haven’t been heard from much except to bash IU while claiming to “love IU.” Citing a UK fan board as a source of wisdom isn’t very smart at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT