ADVERTISEMENT

Leal to Announce This Friday

And that's great - but the fact that a kid is from Indiana or not from Indiana has absolutely nothing to do with winning basketball games or roster building or any of it.
I hear what you are saying. Without certain intangibles that I believe are incredibly important, I can understand your point that apparently identical players, one from this state and one from another seem to be a tossup.

But the intangibles that you may be disregarding are the ones that I believe put the identically appearing Indiana high school recruit ahead in most cases. They are:

1. Family and friends and fans of the Indiana high school recruit can more easily get to the games and/or otherwise support the recruit at Indiana;

2. Building a relationship with many or all of the Indiana high school coaches and recruiting their top players builds good will in the state and in each of the gyms around the state.

3. Knowing the Indiana University traditions, history, academics, including but not limited to POTFBs are a way to help build comradery.

4. Locking down the state recruits builds an almost never ending pipeline to the roster at Indiana University.

Looking at the way Archie Miller is building the roster one may or may not see the advantages of State of Indiana recruiting and recruits. But I do. I appreciate that an Indiana high school recruit is much more likely to go to Indiana than essentially an equivalent university in...say...Toledo. And all of the above will likely indirectly impact winnings favorably.

You don't see it. That is cool.

Archie see it...apparently.

And that's great - but the fact that a kid is from Indiana or not from Indiana has absolutely nothing to do with winning basketball games or roster building or any of it.
Indiana produces a lot of good basketball players. Building a pipeline to get all the best players vastly improves our chances of winning consistently. The same principle applies to Texas football. I didn’t know this point was misunderstood. Give the guy credit where it is deserved. I know, I know, last January was hard to watch.

Last edited:

That’s true. But it’s also true that too many great Indiana HS players have left the state in the past couple decades. So Archie is on the right track trying to address this.

Reactions: jimmygoiu and 76-1
That’s true. But it’s also true that too many great Indiana HS players have left the state in the past couple decades. So Archie is on the right track trying to address this.
Besides, the more of them end up at IU, the fewer stab us in competition wearing MSU or Kentucky jerseys.

I never liked Crean. You did though. And now you deny it just like in a few years you’ll claim you never liked Archie.

No Fred, you didn't like Crean, but you sure did love the Archie hire.
As a matter of fact, you "guaranteed" his success.
You do realize why 95% of this board thinks that you're full of crap, right?

Reactions: MrBing and Al Bino
I thought Archie wasn’t responsible for that class.[/QUOTE

you are a dummass. Archie absolutely recruited Thompson, as he joined IU after his junior year of HS. Archie had to rerecruit Smith to keep his commitment to IU. Why are you such a dikwad, when you act like you are an IU fan? silly feepaw...

I’ll give you Justin Smith if you give credit to Archie for the other four stars and me credit for my original point. Archie is able to recruit other states.
I’ll give credit for Forrester, Hunter, and Thompson. That’s 3 classes with a bust, question mark, and likely bust. He has yet to recruit one impact player from outside Indiana.

I’ll give credit for Forrester, Hunter, and Thompson. That’s 3 classes with a bust, question mark, and likely bust. He has yet to recruit one impact player from outside Indiana.

Well, it has only has been two years and most of his recruits have been from IN and Hunter was a medical redshirt and Race was a red shirt and then massively concussed...

...but none of that fits the douche narrative. Lol.

with Jaden Ivey going to La Lumiere, which takes him out of the Mr. Basketball picture, IU should have its 3rd in a row...If Ivey does well does he he decommit from Purdue for a Blue Blood ?

You don’t realize how stupid you sound.

Interesting that even after being out most of the year and then coming into games as a non scorer (like a Steve Risley) that Thompson put up a PER of over 14 and had numbers very similar to two other busts their first years....Darryl Thomas and Juwan Morgan.

Yup...likely busts Nostradumbass.

Interesting that even after being out most of the year and then coming into games as a non scorer (like a Steve Risley) that Thompson put up a PER of over 14 and had numbers very similar to two other busts their first years....Darryl Thomas and Juwan Morgan.

Yup...likely busts Nostradumbass.
Morgan averaged over 3x the amount of points as a true freshman than Morgan did as a RS freshman.

And again...you can always find anomalies. Hence why I said “likely”. The percentages are very heavy in that direction.

Morgan averaged over 3x the amount of points as a true freshman than Morgan did as a RS freshman.

And again...you can always find anomalies. Hence why I said “likely”. The percentages are very heavy in that direction.

Morgan averaged 2.4 points a game in 30 games played his freshman year...not 6 to 8 which would be more statistically significant.

Which is the point. Morgan was statistically insignificant even though he played -9 minutes in 30 games.

Not 9 games after an injury knocked him out of the season coming back in the middle of Big Ten, fighting for our tourney lives.

You are aware that Race true freshman year was last year right? He reclassified to come here early instead of playing his senior year.

Anyway you would have labeled Morgan, Thomas, Landon Turner and about a billion other examples busts after their freshman years when their role was to rebound, set picks, goon, bring energy and try not to f#$k up.

Wait, now you are making predictions. It is fact that he recruited highly regarded players from other states. We are talking about reality, not your opinion. I’m still scratching my head over you spinning Archie’s success recruiting Indiana as a negative indicator. Maybe you should take a break, and pick it up again in October, so we can talk about the games. You typically know what you are talking about, but this coaching change has completely derailed you.

Morgan averaged 2.4 points a game in 30 games played his freshman year...not 6 to 8 which would be more statistically significant.

Which is the point. Morgan was statistically insignificant even though he played -9 minutes in 30 games.

Not 9 games after an injury knocked him out of the season coming back in the middle of Big Ten, fighting for our tourney lives.

You are aware that Race true freshman year was last year right? He reclassified to come here early instead of playing his senior year.

Anyway you would have labeled Morgan, Thomas, Landon Turner and about a billion other examples busts after their freshman years when their role was to rebound, set picks, goon, bring energy and try not to f#$k up.

Morgan also had issues his freshmen season with shoulder injuries (Morgan is/was a tough dude). I always thought he was going to be a good player (not as good as he ended up).

Race reclassified to his correct class. He will be 21 in June (he’s older than Al). I think Race is a year away from playing significant minutes. It’s not a knock on him, I just think he has 4 players in front of him who are better.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Morgan also had issues his freshmen season with shoulder injuries (Morgan is/was a tough dude). I always thought he was going to be a good player (not as good as he ended up).

Race reclassified to his correct class. He will be 21 in June (he’s older than Al). I think Race is a year away from playing significant minutes. It’s not a knock on him, I just think he has 4 players in front of him who are better.

He's not older than Al. He reclassified up a year and skipped his senior year to redshirt early.

He's a little old for his natural class...or he's really young for the 2017 class.

Race was born June 4, 1999. He just turned 20.

Al was born Sept 30, 1998

Romeo was born October of 1999, so he's about four months older than Langford.

As far as Morgan I thought the shoulder issues were his sophmore year but will admit I don't remember. Still he played in 30 games, around nine minutes a game and wasn't asked to score...like Race, therefore would have been labeled a likely bust by Feepaw.

Race was a higher rated recruit for his natural class. If he ends up half the player that Morgan was, he's not a bust.

Bottom line it's waaay too early to be throwing 'bust' around, especially with his ranking and what he showed in limited minutes as mainly the role of a goon.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
with Jaden Ivey going to La Lumiere, which takes him out of the Mr. Basketball picture, IU should have its 3rd in a row...If Ivey does well does he he decommit from Purdue for a Blue Blood ?
That's ridiculous, are we butt-hurt that they got a 3-star we didn't, and who might still be better than our 3-4 stars, but sweet lemons, we'll never know from HS competition … c'mon, I'd expect that talk from their board.

He's not older than Al. He reclassified up a year and skipped his senior year to redshirt early.

He's a little old for his natural class...or he's really young for the 2017 class.

Race was born June 4, 1999. He just turned 20.

Al was born Sept 30, 1998

Romeo was born October of 1999, so he's about four months older than Langford.

As far as Morgan I thought the shoulder issues were his sophmore year but will admit I don't remember. Still he played in 30 games, around nine minutes a game and wasn't asked to score...like Race, therefore would have been labeled a likely bust by Feepaw.

Race was a higher rated recruit for his natural class. If he ends up half the player that Morgan was, he's not a bust.

Bottom line it's waaay too early to be throwing 'bust' around, especially with his ranking and what he showed in limited minutes as mainly the role of a goon.

You're correct on Race. For some reason I thought he was older.

Reactions: TommyCracker
IMO, Race can be really good as an upper classmen. I think he'll have role this year but will be behind Brunk, Davis, TJD and Smith in the frontcourt. Of course Davis gets hurt a lot and one must question if he will play much more than the 20 min per game. If Smith develops any kind of perimeter game, he could get time at SF.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT