ADVERTISEMENT

Last Call to spew any venom directed towards the 2021 season and all involved...

The 2022 Season begins in earnest with the opening of Fall Camp tomorrow 8/2/22...

In my opinion..., after today it'll be time to either call a plumber or see a shrink if you can't flush the 2021 mess and look ahead to this Fall...
I turned the page months ago,I’ve been doing this for over 50 yrs.It sucked after having such high expectations but that’s IU football.
Too late to jump ship now,I’ll be there thinking and hoping once again that ‘this is gonna be the year’

The 2022 Season begins in earnest with the opening of Fall Camp tomorrow 8/2/22...

In my opinion..., after today it'll be time to either call a plumber or see a shrink if you can't flush the 2021 mess and look ahead to this Fall...
LEO is still a binding fiber. As long as they're effective teaching less emotional things like tackling, blocking, and catching the ball...while they're instilling the warm fuzzy stuff that LEO markets itself as, we'll be fine. If they aren't...last year will be mentioned quite a lot as the season wears on.

Reactions: vesuvius13
LEO is still a binding fiber. As long as they're effective teaching less emotional things like tackling, blocking, and catching the ball...while they're instilling the warm fuzzy stuff that LEO markets itself as, we'll be fine. If they aren't...last year will be mentioned quite a lot as the season wears on.
That 'warm fuzzy stuff' you seem to deride sells well in the front room of a recruits mother or grandparent.

Many of these kids come from gritty, difficult circumstances, where inhumane acts confront them every day

Allen seems genuine and takes responsibility for every person in the program. He, and other staff establish the role expected of recruits.

A positive paternal and peer environment encourages success and effort

Not saying the basics aren't important ; Rather saying the LEO concept does what it is intended to do.

That 'warm fuzzy stuff' you seem to deride sells well in the front room of a recruits mother or grandparent.

Many of these kids come from gritty, difficult circumstances, where inhumane acts confront them every day

Allen seems genuine and takes responsibility for every person in the program. He, and other staff establish the role expected of recruits.

Not saying the basics aren't important ; Rather saying the LEO concept does what it is intended to do.
I might add it's the very foundation of every high functioning military outfit on the planet... If you aren't looking out for the guy on your left and on your right and he's not looking out for you, you've lost before you ever take the field...

They're not playing for us; they're playing for each other, or at least they damn well better be..., because when things get tough all they really have is each other...

For sure...and its probably not actually getting in the way of the team executing solid football elements on Saturdays...but when you market it as much as Allen and IU have, it sure leaves you open for criticism when your team doesn't play well. Its an easy thing to focus negative thoughts on, because they've made it so central to the identity of their program. LEO is IU, IU is LEO, and IU sucked last year...thus LEO sucked last year. When IU is good (2018-2020)...LEO is good.

If we have another really poor year, in any way similar to last year...but LEO does still afford a solid recruiting class, general good vibes in the locker room, etc... Then we probably all would need to come to the realization that Allen, and his staff, are just bad at coaching actual football stuff. Back to the OP...if that happens, many people will use last year to help with that "argument".

In short...play well and win games, last year will be flushed by most. Lose to Illinois and Cincinnati, there will be many threads referring to last year.

I might add it's the very foundation of every high functioning military outfit on the planet... If you aren't looking out for the guy on your left and on your right and he's not looking out for you, you've lost before you ever take the field...

They're not playing for us; they're playing for each other, or at least they damn well better be..., because when things get tough all they really have is each other...
Good military units also demand very meticulous attention to detail. Absolutely looking out for the guy next to you...but its ALWAYS framed by doing your job, exactly the right way, every single time.

Its become obvious during Allen's tenure here, that he either doesn't focus on those micro level details...or he's not good at coaching them into his team.

I think Allen would be a terrible military leader, and I wouldn't send my son to "fight for him", because I'd be worried he wouldn't actually prepare my son well enough. But since football is just a game, and no one actually dies when they don't block well, or don't concentrate well enough to catch a routine pass thrown to them...I probably would send my son to play football for him. Because I know they'd have a full, enjoyable, experience with him. I'd just be really frustrated when they lose games, and would come to a message board to vent about it.

Absolutely! ...and I honestly believe it gives IUFB a small but distinct recruiting advantage over competition that doesn't display something similar openly to recruits and fans...also if Allen's tenure manifests positively LEO will become a tradition many of us complain IUFB has never had...

Reactions: ESalum86
For sure...and its probably not actually getting in the way of the team executing solid football elements on Saturdays...but when you market it as much as Allen and IU have, it sure leaves you open for criticism when your team doesn't play well. Its an easy thing to focus negative thoughts on, because they've made it so central to the identity of their program. LEO is IU, IU is LEO, and IU sucked last year...thus LEO sucked last year. When IU is good (2018-2020)...LEO is good.

If we have another really poor year, in any way similar to last year...but LEO does still afford a solid recruiting class, general good vibes in the locker room, etc... Then we probably all would need to come to the realization that Allen, and his staff, are just bad at coaching actual football stuff. Back to the OP...if that happens, many people will use last year to help with that "argument".

In short...play well and win games, last year will be flushed by most. Lose to Illinois and Cincinnati, there will be many threads referring to last year.
I've yet to see any facts substantiating LEO is the cause of L's.

It was clear by behavior on and off the field some players and coaches didn't live up to LEO and they are now gone. Not rotating in players last season saw a couple of defensive coaches gone. On offense three coaches are gone and replaced by coaches as good or better. Better players were brought in from the portal at positions of need.

This season I expect better play and coaching to win games. I hope we found new stars to play, and they show up on the field.

Me neither...but I'm a Cubs fan...and I've only got room for 1 "Loveable Loser" team in my fandom. So the LEO stuff annoys me when they can't catch routine balls and blow coverages like a bad HS team. But as I said in the post you responded to, it probably isn't LEO that caused the poor play last year. But IU is LEO right now, and they were really, really bad in a lot of areas last year.

I think a lot of "our" skepticism stems from how excited we were after the 19 and 20 seasons...it hurts worse, and the cynicism and emotions are higher when you fail like we did last year, after being so good the previous years. They earned the higher expectations, but have to deal with the fallout when they play as poorly as they did last year.

It was clear by behavior on and off the field some players and coaches didn't live up to LEO and they are now gone. Not rotating in players last season saw a couple of defensive coaches gone. On offense three coaches are gone and replaced by coaches as good or better. Better players were brought in from the portal at positions of need.

This season I expect better play and coaching to win games. I hope we found new stars to play, and they show up on the field.
This is one area that, to me, proves that the LEO culture is a very real, and potentially positive thing. They made some very difficult decisions, that I'm sure weren't very comfortable, because people weren't living up to whatever they think IU football/LEO is.

If it were just another BS "schtick" that we see all over the country, they'd have just rolled on with it and looked the other way.

Now...lets incorporate meticulous attention to detail into LEO...ORRR...more effectively coach meticulous attention to detail into LEO...and then we have something special.

I actually like the military analogy another poster used earlier in this thread. "I'm going to make sure I'm razor sharp in ALL my duties, because if I don't, I know I'm letting my teammates down." I'm sure that's a pretty big tenant in LEO...but for whatever reason, it hasn't shown on the field consistently. Even in their good years, Allen's teams have shown a propensity for very sloppy play.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Good military units also demand very meticulous attention to detail. Absolutely looking out for the guy next to you...but its ALWAYS framed by doing your job, exactly the right way, every single time.

Its become obvious during Allen's tenure here, that he either doesn't focus on those micro level details...or he's not good at coaching them into his team.

I think Allen would be a terrible military leader, and I wouldn't send my son to "fight for him", because I'd be worried he wouldn't actually prepare my son well enough. But since football is just a game, and no one actually dies when they don't block well, or don't concentrate well enough to catch a routine pass thrown to them...I probably would send my son to play football for him. Because I know they'd have a full, enjoyable, experience with him. I'd just be really frustrated when they lose games, and would come to a message board to vent about it.
With all due respect, you probably should have stopped with your first post in the thread and not added these comments. They're way over the top, particularly the sentence that begins with "It's become obvious during Allen's tenure..."

We're just a couple of years removed from two of IU's best seasons in program history - - with Allen at the helm. We went 8-5 in 2019 and 6-2 (including 6-1 in the Big Ten) in 2020. IU cracked the Top 10 nationally in 2020 for the first time in 50 years and Allen was named Big Ten and national (AFCA) Coach of the Year.

There's no denying that last year sucked, particularly since expectations were so high (a #17 preseason ranking) going into the season. But it's absurdly hyperbolic - - and erroneous - - to argue that Allen's tenure has reflected a lack of attention to detail and/or bad coaching. It's also silly (and pointless) to speculate as to what kind of a military leader he would be.

That said, the stench from last season remains and can't be flushed without a fast start in September. It might be going too far to suggest a season opener is a must-win. By the same token, the stench will linger and the path to six wins becomes much more difficult if we don't beat the Illini at home on Sep 2.

Go Hoosiers!!

They did regularly rotate on the DL, which is the only place they did it within the defensive scheme year over year. Nothing changed. Any other “rotations” were actually based on defensive packages that were down, distance and field position determined. The D was very much Coach Allen’s, and rotating players wasn’t why anyone left.

Reactions: Lucy01

If I had been Coach Tom Allen, on the first day of spring practice, I would have handed out a sheet of paper with last years schedule and final scores along with a match to each Player, and told them to light each page and burn it. Now We are through with 2021 and starting fresh with a confident outlook and clean slate. A bit corn-pone, Hokey? Maybe. But it provides the Players with a Symbolic visual rather than just a verbal image.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I appreciate the two good seasons IU had under Allen but it is a huge red flag for him to have had his worst season in year five. It shows he hasn’t built something sustainable. This is a do or die year for the program. There must be improvement or recruiting will fall off.

I appreciate the two good seasons IU had under Allen but it is a huge red flag for him to have had his worst season in year five. It shows he hasn’t built something sustainable. This is a do or die year for the program. There must be improvement or recruiting will fall off.
Do Fitzgerald's regular trips into 3-win territory deep into his tenure mean he can't sustain Northwestern's program? Or does the fact that he can bounce back from those sharp downturns time after time show that he can? Indiana is much more like Northwestern than an Ohio State or Michigan. We can't be good all the time, there are going to be down years and times when true rebuilds are necessary. It is unavoidable.

Last year isn't what determines the longevity of Allen's tenure and the outlook on the future of it. This year, and possibly more so next year in a longer-term sense, are. So long as we are back to competitive football this season, and at least flirting with bowl eligibility, that's a good sign. Even if last year had gone as we had all hoped, there's a very real chance this season would've still been a reset season and a step backwards. The task Allen has in front of him is building back up and laying the foundation for a new cycle of success over the next couple seasons.

I have to admit - I'm going into this year with the lowest expectations I've had in a long, long time. There's just nothing to hang my hat on, other than Allen taking over the Defense again. Maybe a revitalized running game, but I'm in the 'show me' mood.

Of course, I'll be there and fired up. But I ain't gettin' my hopes up.

Do Fitzgerald's regular trips into 3-win territory deep into his tenure mean he can't sustain Northwestern's program? Or does the fact that he can bounce back from those sharp downturns time after time show that he can? Indiana is much more like Northwestern than an Ohio State or Michigan. We can't be good all the time, there are going to be down years and times when true rebuilds are necessary. It is unavoidable.

Last year isn't what determines the longevity of Allen's tenure and the outlook on the future of it. This year, and possibly more so next year in a longer-term sense, are. So long as we are back to competitive football this season, and at least flirting with bowl eligibility, that's a good sign. Even if last year had gone as we had all hoped, there's a very real chance this season would've still been a reset season and a step backwards. The task Allen has in front of him is building back up and laying the foundation for a new cycle of success over the next couple seasons.
Even Meatchicken was shit just a couple years ago.

The fail of "21" launched the minute Penix wasn't Penix in the 1st game. Other rocks in the road developed as the season played out and multiplied the trouble of finding solutions. In other words what happened last season didn't allow solid problem solving till the offseason.
I agree with You on Penix. I don't know if You call it a poor coaching or medical staff decision, but it appeared they limited his practice reps to such an extent that He wasn't prepared for the speed and aggressiveness of the Game. And of course even with the precautions We took to protect Him, He still ended up with a Year ending injury.
I will say that Penix not being properly prepared to play against Iowa, and McFadden's BS Ejection against Cincy were the two events that led to a tanked Season.

I agree with You on Penix. I don't know if You call it a poor coaching or medical staff decision, but it appeared they limited his practice reps to such an extent that He wasn't prepared for the speed and aggressiveness of the Game. And of course even with the precautions We took to protect Him, He still ended up with a Year ending injury.
I will say that Penix not being properly prepared to play against Iowa, and McFadden's BS Ejection against Cincy were the two events that led to a tanked Season.
Cinci Offense was rejuvenated when Micah got screwed. Never seen anything like it, in football anyway.

It wasn't just Penix who wasn't ready to play - the whole Offense acted like they didn't want to be there.

Fitz has had two 3-win seasons, and one 4-win season in his 16 as head coach. Not exactly regular and, yes, he has demonstrated the ability to sustain the program.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I actually think low expectations and low turnout helps this program. Counterintuitive I know but some of the best games I’ve watched from this program were in front of 30,000 people.

Something about expectations just crumbles this team no matter who’s in charge.

Reactions: DANC
With all due respect, you probably should have stopped with your first post in the thread and not added these comments. They're way over the top, particularly the sentence that begins with "It's become obvious during Allen's tenure..."

We're just a couple of years removed from two of IU's best seasons in program history - - with Allen at the helm. We went 8-5 in 2019 and 6-2 (including 6-1 in the Big Ten) in 2020. IU cracked the Top 10 nationally in 2020 for the first time in 50 years and Allen was named Big Ten and national (AFCA) Coach of the Year.

There's no denying that last year sucked, particularly since expectations were so high (a #17 preseason ranking) going into the season. But it's absurdly hyperbolic - - and erroneous - - to argue that Allen's tenure has reflected a lack of attention to detail and/or bad coaching. It's also silly (and pointless) to speculate as to what kind of a military leader he would be.

That said, the stench from last season remains and can't be flushed without a fast start in September. It might be going too far to suggest a season opener is a must-win. By the same token, the stench will linger and the path to six wins becomes much more difficult if we don't beat the Illini at home on Sep 2.

Go Hoosiers
2019 is the year I look at when I get bummed out about IU football, to remind me of what Allen and LEO have done and are capable of. 2020 felt good, great actually...but that year shouldn't be used to evaluate much of anything. Half the teams on our schedule were either ravaged with Covid, or for whatever reason, weren't "all in" that year. Allen and his team capitalized on that, the lack of crowds, etc... They were still very sloppy, overall, however...And going all the way back to 2-10, in the first year after Covid, with fans in the stands, etc... is a huge red flag.

Its not a stretch, at all, to say that Tom Allen coached teams make a lot of unforced mistakes. Tom Allen himself makes a lot of in game decision making mistakes. For a 2 year stretch, if you include 2020 which I'm not sure should be included, LEO overcame those mistakes well enough to win more games than we lost. But in more years than not, he's lost more than he won. And he's 0-3 in bowl games. All of them very winnable games.

I've not once said I don't want Tom Allen to be our coach. I even said I'd send my son to play for him. I'm just responding that its going to be incredibly difficult to just "flush" last season, if we continue to show the same type of play as all his teams have shown, and that results in losses.

Reactions: kmathum
No one said that. What is being said is the lack of playing good football caused the losses and that LEO looks silly when you only win 2 games.

Not many made fun of clappy Mcclapperson Tom Crean when they were winning games. Once that stopped the non stop over the top positivity became annoying.

I agree. Fall camp is underway, so the statute of limitations should be over for analyzing 2021. We all agree it stunk hard!
New year, new assistants, lot of new transfers and the top 30 recruiting class, Allen back calling the Defense. I actually think the defense is going to be really good with a lot of depth.

It all comes down to offensive execution to be able to score and do something bc if they can put respectable points to m board or at least some clock burning drives even if end in a FG, our D can keep them in many games. And I feel like this offense should surpass last year’s.

No one said that. What is being said is the lack of playing good football caused the losses and that LEO looks silly when you only win 2 games.

Not many made fun of clappy Mcclapperson Tom Crean when they were winning games. Once that stopped the non stop over the top positivity became annoying.

LEO is nothing more than a team mantra. I don't get how it looks silly based on how many games are won or lost. It's not LEO when we are winning but HEO when we are losing.

I think this board is just overanalyzing it. I think it is just a tool for Allen to show the importance of comradery amongst his team and that isn't a bad thing regardless of the record.

LEO is nothing more than a team mantra. I don't get how it looks silly based on how many games are won or lost. It's not LEO when we are winning but HEO when we are losing.

I think this board is just overanalyzing it. I think it is just a tool for Allen to show the importance of comradery amongst his team and that isn't a bad thing regardless of the record.
Agreed. It is just an easy target for any hater wanting to put the program down.

Agreed. It is just an easy target for any hater wanting to put the program down.
I love the philosophy and it LEO serves as a common team goal or objective to achieve.

However, like any family, you may love them, but you may not 'like' them 100% of the time. I know that's not the whole idea, but it's the impression the LEO philosophy can present to the outside world.

I'm fine with LEO, win or lose, but it's a lot easier to accept in a winning program - that's just human nature.

Something like LEO was a part of every team I ever played on. The concepts of togetherness and accountability are ubiquitous in team sports and a common aspect of them. What’s unique is the public / marketing nature of LEO. Most teams use something like this as an internal credo, which is what makes it such a big deal to the team. Making it a public thing, with hats and t shirts and videos, invites some cynicism and ridicule because it makes some people question the true motives.

For Allen it is heartfelt. Relationships are essential to good recruiting. LEO is a selling tool which attracts wanted recruits. The ones who reject the sell Allen probably doesn't offer. Separate chaff from grain. Slow but sure progress.

Reactions: ESalum86
For Allen it is heartfelt. Relationships are essential to good recruiting. LEO is a selling tool which attracts wanted recruits. The ones who reject the sell Allen probably doesn't offer. Separate chaff from grain. Slow but sure progress.
Agree with you that, for Allen, it’s as much a selling tool as it is a team first philosophy. That’s the difference between how he approaches it and many other coaches do, and it’s why some people view it with cynicism. There are some other coaches with catchphrases like LEO and they get skewered, too.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT