ADVERTISEMENT

ITH - Ranking Indiana’s 11 Non-conference Opponents for the 2021-22 Season

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002

"IU non-conference schedule is projected to be the 298th toughest non-conference slate in the country."

Which is another way of saying the 59th weakest NC schedule in the country (of 357 D1 Teams). Would find this less tedious if it involved scheduling other Indiana Programs - other than ND in the final year of the Crossroads Classic, not another IN Team on the 2021-22 NC schedule.

"IU non-conference schedule is projected to be the 298th toughest non-conference slate in the country."

Which is another way of saying the 59th weakest NC schedule in the country (of 357 D1 Teams). Would find this less tedious if it involved scheduling other Indiana Programs - other than ND in the final year of the Crossroads Classic, not another IN Team on the 2021-22 NC schedule.
We will end the year with a top 25 SOS. The committee has shown in recent years that number of wins is more important than quality of wins.

I dont mind a 300+ ranked payoff team for opening game of the year and one around holiday break when the students are gone. The rest? All top 150 please.. Would like to play Butler and Notre Dame both home and away every year.

Reactions: kmathum
We will end the year with a top 25 SOS. The committee has shown in recent years that number of wins is more important than quality of wins.
There is no "we", IU's projected SOS is #35, and that's not the point even if correct which I doubt - quality of opponents is always relevant.

We could actually go 11-0 in the N-C schedule. But I am going to temper my expectations and expect an 9-2 result. Then a mid-pack finish in the B10 gets us in the tourney and playing our best bball and shocking the nation with a trip to the FF. (too much coffee this morning?)

Sidebar: when I spoke with a P5 assistant coach a while back, he conceptually liked scheduling N-C games in pods of three. An easy game, a medium tough game and then a really tough match-up. But confided that it is hard to build a schedule like that.

Reactions: 76-1
I dont mind a 300+ ranked payoff team for opening game of the year and one around holiday break when the students are gone. The rest? All top 150 please.. Would like to play Butler and Notre Dame both home and away every year.
Any Team ranked above 300 doesn't really belong in D1 (and hence on IU's schedule). Mostly agree on your scheduling take re: Season opener and the holiday break, but don't see how 'walkovers' contribute much to personal or Team growth, and they just kill the SOS rating that plays a role in Tournament seeding.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
If you went to IU, there definitely is a “we”.

Quantity of opponents is far more important than quality. If IU gets to 20 wins they are in the tournament.
What if you didnt go to IU and are a $100 donor that Fred Glass trashed? vbg I agree with you. I never went to IU. But I do donate $1,000 a year and I have never said “we”. Can’t do much more than that, as I earn in the $65,000-$70,000 range a year so thats about all I can do. Have done this since 2006.

Any Team ranked above 300 doesn't really belong in D1 (and hence on IU's schedule). Mostly agree on your scheduling take re: Season opener and the holiday break, but don't see how 'walkovers' contribute much to personal or Team growth, and they just kill the SOS rating that plays a role in Tournament seeding.
I’d like to rotate Maui when we are eligible for it. But I’d like to schedule these Five teams every season.
Kentucky ( Lucas Oil and Yum!/Freedom Hall if still allowed)
Notre Dame
Butler
Seton Hall
Kansas
then the rest whatever preseason tournament we can get in,
Gavit Games (Not Butler or Seton Hall, preferebly Depaul or Marquette)
and the last 4 or so games include two 300ish ranked teams, and the other two Indiana State and my hometown Evansville Aces.

Reactions: dbdb6495
What if you didnt go to IU and are a $100 donor that Fred Glass trashed? vbg I agree with you. I never went to IU. But I do donate $1,000 a year and I have never said “we”. Can’t do much more than that, as I earn in the $65,000-$70,000 range a year so thats about all I can do. Have done this since 2006.
I’m good with that too!! The “you can’t say we” crowd drives me crazy lol

I’m good with that too!! The “you can’t say we” crowd drives me crazy lol
I agree! I went to Ivy Tech for two years and USI for two years and I never said “we” for them, not too proud of it vbg.. But I agree. $1,000 doesent seem much at all for alot or most on here, but its still something I have always wanted to do. I have ran into alot of “we fans” who just do nothing but trash the college kids busting their ass to make their “small manhoods” so to speak bigger vbg. Just calling it how I see it.

If you went to IU, there definitely is a “we”.

Quantity of opponents is far more important than quality. If IU gets to 20 wins they are in the tournament.
Not when you presume to speak for the Program or its alumni there isn't.

"Quantity" really worked two years ago for Delaware, St, Francis, Austin Peay, Nicholls State, South Dakota, Merrimack, Cal Baptist, Sacred Heart, William & Mary, Stony Brook, Radford, Abiliene Christian, Bowling Green, North Florida, Drake, UC Santa Barbara, South Alabama, Santa Clara, Buffalo, Chattanooga, Murray State, Georgia Southern, Kent State, South Dakota State, Pacific, Colgate, Western Kentucky, Harvard, Loyola Chicago, Colorado State, Duquesne, Texas State, UNC Greensboro, Boise State, Furman, Tulsa, Northern Colorado, San Francisco, Louisiana Tech, Rhode Island, St. Louis, Memphis, Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Mississippi State, Arkansas and Stanford. All 20+ and no dance.

Twenty wins doesn't guarantee squat. Michigan, Texas Tech, Marquette, Florida, Oklahoma, Providence and UCLA all made it in the same year with less. In any case, getting in the Tournament is (or should be) the easy part, and again, not the point. You can imagine that seeding and whom a Team has to play in the first 3-4 rounds is of no importance, but that doesn't make it true.

Have it your way - should have left you on ignore.

Not when you presume to speak for the Program or its alumni there isn't.

"Quantity" really worked two years ago for Delaware, St, Francis, Austin Peay, Nicholls State, South Dakota, Merrimack, Cal Baptist, Sacred Heart, William & Mary, Stony Brook, Radford, Abiliene Christian, Bowling Green, North Florida, Drake, UC Santa Barbara, South Alabama, Santa Clara, Buffalo, Chattanooga, Murray State, Georgia Southern, Kent State, South Dakota State, Pacific, Colgate, Western Kentucky, Harvard, Loyola Chicago, Colorado State, Duquesne, Texas State, UNC Greensboro, Boise State, Furman, Tulsa, Northern Colorado, San Francisco, Louisiana Tech, Rhode Island, St. Louis, Memphis, Notre Dame, Northern Iowa, Mississippi State, Arkansas and Stanford. All 20+ and no dance.

Twenty wins doesn't guarantee squat. Michigan, Texas Tech, Marquette, Florida, Oklahoma, Providence and UCLA all made it in the same year with less. In any case, getting in the Tournament is (or should be) the easy part, and again, not the point. You can imagine that seeding and whom a Team has to play in the first 3-4 rounds is of no importance, but that doesn't make it true.

Have it your way - should have left you on ignore.
How many of those teams you just wasted your time naming had an overall SOS in the top 35? None? Okay that’s what I thought.

I have us between 22-25 wins this year. That would likely be between a 7 seed and a 3 seed.

• Haha
Reactions: SoccerSammy
How many of those teams you just wasted your time naming had an overall SOS in the top 35? None? Okay that’s what I thought.

I have us between 22-25 wins this year. That would likely be between a 7 seed and a 3 seed.
Moving the goalposts, eh? Of course none of them were Top 35 SOS, but for the third time, that's not the point. If you'd stop being obtuse (just for a moment) perhaps you'd acknowledge that 'getting in' is only the first hurdle, and for a program of IU's stature, a low one at that. Schedule strength is critical in determining seeding, and seeding is often critical in positioning a Team to make a run in the Tourney. And that's why it matters whether or not IU schedules 'lightweights' in non-Conference.

This is very elementary: a #7 or #8 seed plays a #1 or #2 in the second round of the Dance - #3-#6 don't see the like until the third round or play anyone higher (read as ranked significantly better) until then. Odds that a Team will do something 'special' improve dramatically once they reach the 'Sweet Sixteen', but they have to get there first, and playing well below one's weight doesn't help.

Moving the goalposts, eh? Of course none of them were Top 35 SOS, but for the third time, that's not the point. If you'd stop being obtuse (just for a moment) perhaps you'd acknowledge that 'getting in' is only the first hurdle, and for a program of IU's stature, a low one at that. Schedule strength is critical in determining seeding, and seeding is often critical in positioning a Team to make a run in the Tourney. And that's why it matters whether or not IU schedules 'lightweights' in non-Conference.

This is very elementary: a #7 or #8 seed plays a #1 or #2 in the second round of the Dance - #3-#6 don't see the like until the third round or play anyone higher (read as ranked significantly better) until then. Odds that a Team will do something 'special' improve dramatically once they reach the 'Sweet Sixteen', but they have to get there first, and playing well below one's weight doesn't help.
And for the 3rd time, you are wrong. 20 wins gets IU in the tournament guaranteed. 23-25 wins gets IU a top 5 seed or better.

IU’s overall SOS will be in the top 30 in the country. The committee doesn’t care about non con SOS. This has been proven over the last several years. A win against the #250 ranked team is better than a loss against the #15 ranked team.

Turns out, the guys making the schedule know more about it than you do.

And for the 3rd time, you are wrong. 20 wins gets IU in the tournament guaranteed. 23-25 wins gets IU a top 5 seed or better.

IU’s overall SOS will be in the top 30 in the country. The committee doesn’t care about non con SOS. This has been proven over the last several years. A win against the #250 ranked team is better than a loss against the #15 ranked team.

Turns out, the guys making the schedule know more about it than you do.
Per usual you offer nothing to support your opinion - just gas.

Per usual you offer nothing to support your opinion - just gas.
If you followed how the committee chose and seeded teams over the last few years, you would understand.

Last year’s Kenpom top 10’s NCSOS:

1. Gonzaga: 112 - 1 Seed
2. Baylor: 258 - 1 Seed
3. Michigan: 178 - 1 Seed
4. Illinois: 59 - 1 Seed
5. Houston: 187 - 2 Seed
6. USC: 111 - 6 Seed
7. Iowa: 285 - 2 Seed
8. Colorado: 157 - 5 Seed
9. Alabama: 71 - 2 Seed
10. Loyola Chicago: 139 - 8 Seed

50: Indiana: 72 - Not in the tournament

Now that you have been proven wrong, stfu.

If you followed how the committee chose and seeded teams over the last few years, you would understand.

Last year’s Kenpom top 10’s NCSOS:

1. Gonzaga: 112 - 1 Seed
2. Baylor: 258 - 1 Seed
3. Michigan: 178 - 1 Seed
4. Illinois: 59 - 1 Seed
5. Houston: 187 - 2 Seed
6. USC: 111 - 6 Seed
7. Iowa: 285 - 2 Seed
8. Colorado: 157 - 5 Seed
9. Alabama: 71 - 2 Seed
10. Loyola Chicago: 139 - 8 Seed

50: Indiana: 72 - Not in the tournament

Now that you have been proven wrong, stfu.
xxxxxxxx That doesn't prove/disprove anything, but like I said, have it your way - NC scheduling has nothing to do with seeding, and seeding has nothing to do with Tournament success. Doubtless will come as a surprise to many, but not you. GLWT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blow it out your constipated ass. That doesn't prove/disprove anything, but like I said, have it your way - NC scheduling has nothing to do with seeding, and seeding has nothing to do with Tournament success. Doubtless will come as a surprise to many, but not you. GLWT.
How does that not prove what I was saying?

Using Iowa and Wisconsin as examples

Iowa:
W/L: 22-9
SOS: 20
NCSOS: 285
Seed: 2 Seed

Wisconsin:
W/L: 18-13
SOS: 6
NCSOS: 199
Seed: 9 seed

So Wisconsin had both a better SOS and NCSOS by a wide margin, but were ranked 7 seeds lower due to…. 4 More losses.

You claim I provide nothing to backup my views, yet what I provided just completely wrecked your argument. You on the other hand have provided nothing to backup your argument.

Maybe this will make you do some research in the future before you post more BS.

How does that not prove what I was saying?

Using Iowa and Wisconsin as examples

Iowa:
W/L: 22-9
SOS: 20
NCSOS: 285
Seed: 2 Seed

Wisconsin:
W/L: 18-13
SOS: 6
NCSOS: 199
Seed: 9 seed

So Wisconsin had both a better SOS and NCSOS by a wide margin, but were ranked 7 seeds lower due to…. 4 More losses.

You claim I provide nothing to backup my views, yet what I provided just completely wrecked your argument. You on the other hand have provided nothing to backup your argument.

Maybe this will make you do some research in the future before you post more BS.
I'm not the one pretending that win total is the definitive criteria or that NCSOS has zero to do with selection/seeding. That'd be you and BS indeed.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
I'm not the one pretending that win total is the definitive criteria or that NCSOS has zero to do with selection/seeding. That'd be you and BS indeed.
I stated the committee cares mostly about win total. Overall SOS is considered as well. NCSOS is not a factor.

I see that you still can’t provide anything to claim otherwise. Tell us how Iowa can get a 2 seed with only the 285th best SOS???

The fact of the matter remains that IU and its staff know how the selection process works, and are obviously fine with the schedule they have. They know far more than either of us on the matter.

I agree! I went to Ivy Tech for two years and USI for two years and I never said “we” for them, not too proud of it vbg.. But I agree. $1,000 doesent seem much at all for alot or most on here, but its still something I have always wanted to do. I have ran into alot of “we fans” who just do nothing but trash the college kids busting their ass to make their “small manhoods” so to speak bigger vbg. Just calling it how I see it.
Don't kid yourself. $1K is a lot of money.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT