ADVERTISEMENT

Ladies Bball kicks off tonight

In a scrimmage on BT+.

Setting the over/under on 3s taken at 25.
Yeah, but in contrast to the men's roster, they have players I'd characterize as knock down 3 pt shooters: Scalia, Garzon and Parrish, and not even sure about the freshmen. Again, I think it's kind of silly to talk about a threshold # of 3s for our men's team until we establish that we have guys who can knock it down at a high rate. XJ I expect to and I think TG will be serviceable, but I expect his % to dip with increased attempts and focus from the D. We need to maybe take more 3s in transition, and look for drive and dish and kick outs, but I'm much more interested in how much our D can improve than seeing our men's team take 20+ 3s a game at this point.

(and you may not have been referring to that, but I keep hearing folks say we need to take 15 or 20+ 3s a game, and I'm not sure we have the personnel for that).

I did not buy btn+ this year. I did last year as so many of the girls games were on only btn+. With the ladies success games are on other networks now. Didn’t seem fair to btn+ to buy it for one month and then cancel.
We are ranked #9.
We have a star in Mac Holmes but I really think we need somebody else to make a big step up.
Maybe Sara and a 3 pt % over 40?
Maybe Yardon?
Syd or a frosh?
We are talented and I think deeper than in the past but I would like one more superstar.

Reactions: Beaten Favorite
Yeah, but in contrast to the men's roster, they have players I'd characterize as knock down 3 pt shooters: Scalia, Garzon and Parrish, and not even sure about the freshmen. Again, I think it's kind of silly to talk about a threshold # of 3s for our men's team until we establish that we have guys who can knock it down at a high rate. XJ I expect to and I think TG will be serviceable, but I expect his % to dip with increased attempts and focus from the D. We need to maybe take more 3s in transition, and look for drive and dish and kick outs, but I'm much more interested in how much our D can improve than seeing our men's team take 20+ 3s a game at this point.

(and you may not have been referring to that, but I keep hearing folks say we need to take 15 or 20+ 3s a game, and I'm not sure we have the personnel for that).
IU cannot be 321st and 352nd in three point attempts...

IU attempted 17 per game in Woody's first year----15 last year. IU should shoot 20-25.

Kopp shot 46% last year----on a mere 4 attempts per game.

Why would Galloways percentage drop? He shot 18% as a frosh on 33 attempts. Shot 21% as a soph on 28 attempts....Shot 46% on 65 attempts last year....He took more three's last year than his first two seasons combined----yet his percentage doubled.

11-22 from 3 for the women's team last night. Scalia hits her first 5, maybe all in the first quarter.

30 assists is impressive even against a lesser opponent.

It appeared to me the new players that were first off the bench have some good athleticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jssanto and kkott
IU cannot be 321st and 352nd in three point attempts...

IU attempted 17 per game in Woody's first year----15 last year. IU should shoot 20-25.

Kopp shot 46% last year----on a mere 4 attempts per game.

Why would Galloways percentage drop? He shot 18% as a frosh on 33 attempts. Shot 21% as a soph on 28 attempts....Shot 46% on 65 attempts last year....He took more three's last year than his first two seasons combined----yet his percentage doubled.
Why? Why so focused on 3 pt attempts? Bassackwards to me: you have to first ask yourself if we're a good 3 pt shooting team, and I doubt we are going to be. I want to see good attempts. Now, I do think there are ways for us to get better looks: kickouts, drive and dish, transition 3s...? Yes, but to take 3s for the sake of #s, if we're not a good shooting team, makes no sense to me.

Why would TG's % fall? Because he got open looks last year because he'd shot so poorly in prior seasons, AND he played with TJD, MK and JHS/XJ all of whom commanded a lot of attention from the D. This year, he's coming in with the reputation as a good shooter and is going to be one of the primary focus's of defensive attention on the perimeter. His shot looked so much better and he should be commended for doing the work, but I think his attempts will rise this year, but I do expect his % will fall for the above reasons.

11-22 from 3 for the women's team last night.
doesn't surprise me at all. Like I said, that team has several knock-down shooters and I don't think the men's team does. If we can work to get better shots, I'm all for taking more 3s, but our women's team just has better shooters.

Why? Why so focused on 3 pt attempts? Bassackwards to me: you have to first ask yourself if we're a good 3 pt shooting team, and I doubt we are going to be. I want to see good attempts. Now, I do think there are ways for us to get better looks: kickouts, drive and dish, transition 3s...? Yes, but to take 3s for the sake of #s, if we're not a good shooting team, makes no sense to me.

Why would TG's % fall? Because he got open looks last year because he'd shot so poorly in prior seasons, AND he played with TJD, MK and JHS/XJ all of whom commanded a lot of attention from the D. This year, he's coming in with the reputation as a good shooter and is going to be one of the primary focus's of defensive attention on the perimeter. His shot looked so much better and he should be commended for doing the work, but I think his attempts will rise this year, but I do expect his % will fall for the above reasons.
1---Never said just to "chuck up" three's----It needs to be a part(important_ of the offense. Its a huge part of the game----and IU needs to adjust.

UConn attmepted 24 per game
SDSU attempted 20
FAU 26 per game
Miami, Fla 20...

Kansas 20 3fga per game
Villanova 26 per game
UNC----23 per game
Duke---21 per game.

See a pattern?

IU shot just as good, if not better than most these teams, from three---Problem is/was----They only attempted 15 per game.

IU is not good enough offensively to get outscored by 9, 12 or 15 points from three.

1---Never said just to "chuck up" three's----It needs to be a part(important_ of the offense. Its a huge part of the game----and IU needs to adjust.

UConn attmepted 24 per game
SDSU attempted 20
FAU 26 per game
Miami, Fla 20...

Kansas 20 3fga per game
Villanova 26 per game
UNC----23 per game
Duke---21 per game.

See a pattern?

IU shot just as good, if not better than most these teams, from three---Problem is/was----They only attempted 15 per game.

IU is not good enough offensively to get outscored by 9, 12 or 15 points from three.
When your best player by far scores inside and these final four teams are dramatically better than us and have better shooters, then make sense.

When your best player by far scores inside and these final four teams are dramatically better than us and have better shooters, then make sense.
IU shot as good or better, than every team I listed. It has to be a part of the offense

TG shot 46%
X was shooting 37%
Kopp at 44%
JHS 36%

WAE HAD shooters. Just didn't take advantage

IU shot as good or better, than every team I listed. It has to be a part of the offense

TG shot 46%
X was shooting 37%
Kopp at 44%
JHS 36%

WAE HAD shooters. Just didn't take advantage
No, we really didn't, outside of Kopp. X played what: 9 games? You have a burr under your saddle about it, but Kopp is the only true knockdown shooter in the bunch. JHS, XJ and TG all benefitted from defenses that didn't focus on them at the 3 pt line because they were doubling down on TJD and daring them to make their 3s. And, to their credit they did. Now, could we benefit from working in a few more 3s, if they are good opportunities? Maybe, and I'd be open to that. But looking at those other teams and our roster if you can't see the difference in 3 pt shooters (just like with our women's team), I don't know what to tell you. I think CMW sees it, and tried to get a slew of better shooters but we didn't get them. Maybe next year with LM joining and a good spring signing or 3, we can start to change it, but I htink the reason you aren't seeing more 3s is because our coaching staff recognizes it's an area we are lacking in. CMW's been in bball for how long? Maybe give the guy some credit?

No, we really didn't, outside of Kopp. X played what: 9 games? You have a burr under your saddle about it, but Kopp is the only true knockdown shooter in the bunch. JHS, XJ and TG all benefitted from defenses that didn't focus on them at the 3 pt line because they were doubling down on TJD and daring them to make their 3s. And, to their credit they did. Now, could we benefit from working in a few more 3s, if they are good opportunities? Maybe, and I'd be open to that. But looking at those other teams and our roster if you can't see the difference in 3 pt shooters (just like with our women's team), I don't know what to tell you. I think CMW sees it, and tried to get a slew of better shooters but we didn't get them. Maybe next year with LM joining and a good spring signing or 3, we can start to change it, but I htink the reason you aren't seeing more 3s is because our coaching staff recognizes it's an area we are lacking in. CMW's been in bball for how long? Maybe give the guy some credit?
If you can shoot----You can shoot.

XJ shot 39% in 2022, BTW....

Again, never said we need go Loyola, Marymount----But its not a coincidence that teams putting an emphasis on the three, are making deep tournament runs.

If X, JHS and TG benefited from the doubling of TJD---why didnt Kopp?

IU attemptd 15 per game last year----Not sure wht the big deal is saying we need to shoot at least 20? Or 25.

To compete for a title----IU will have to shoot more. it smore than just an opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT