ADVERTISEMENT

If you were CMW tonight, what change would you make?

Woodsa

Redshirt
Jul 18, 2004
It was said in another thread that IU appears slow, has bad guards, can't shoot, can't play Defense, can't keep the ball in front of them, lazy, lacking passion, can't make 3s consistently, lazy coaching, etc.

That is a lot to overcome, curious to hear what you feel the coach could do but hasnt already tried?

Excluding any form of self-retirement, what ONE change would you make tonight?

Last edited:
I think his problems are systemic. If you’d allow my fictional Woody self to go back to August or so, I might have a punchers chance to change things.

Anything I could think of doing differently tonight…I’m sure the players would have screwed it up.

Part of that’s on them. They’ve all played a lot of basketball. A lot of them are really talented. They should be better.

But a lot it’s on Woody and the staff. They haven’t established really any form or level of consistently solid elements into their program. Things that they can do in their sleep. Things that they can rely on when shots aren’t falling, or refs aren’t helping.

He will not change anything. He will not retire anytime soon. His right hand NBA guy will continue sitting next to the scorer's table like a statue.
Probably right and dolson won't get rid of his buddy unless things get really really bad

I kept looking at the bench. Not much help over there. But he might’ve tried that zone that bailed his ass out earlier this season.

Just because there are guys sitting that won’t play in the NBA doesn’t mean they can’t be great college basketball players. Put shooters out there and surround Ware with guys who won’t make stupid fouls and turn the ball over.

Reactions: Woodsa
Just because there are guys sitting that won’t play in the NBA doesn’t mean they can’t be great college basketball players. Put shooters out there and surround Ware with guys who won’t make stupid fouls and turn the ball over.
If you are suggesting that the one change to make is “put shooters out there” I’d be interested to know who those shooters would be.

Reactions: bsmitty08
It was said in another thread that IU appears slow, has bad guards, can't shoot, can't play Defense, can't keep the ball in front of them, lazy, lacking passion, can't make 3s consistently, lazy coaching, etc.

That is a lot to overcome, curious to hear what you feel the coach could do but hasnt already tried?

It’s in the culture. He didn’t establish it from the get go….and it’s likely too late now.

It's unfortunate that Woody didn't read Archie's reflection from two years ago. The past is prologue. If you don't learn from history, then you are doomed to repeat it.

(The full interview by Talia Goodman with Miller is below)

“We recruited good players, we recruited good kids. I was happy to watch all of the guys that we brought there this season finally crack the opportunity to go to the tournament,” Miller said. “Trayce was a junior this year. As a freshman, he helped lead us to the tournament but it got canceled. So he had still never experienced that Selection Sunday. I was happy to watch their players this year do well.

“In my time there, there’s a lot of things you look back on and say, ‘boy, I wish I’d done this different. I wish I did this better.’ And I think part of what we have always aspired to do and will continue to aspire to do is have a skilled team. Have a team that’s based on the ability to play the game with versatility and skill. And we didn’t shoot the ball well enough in my time at Indiana to get over the hump.

“Offense, at the end of the day, really comes down to, did you make an open shot or didn’t you? Did you make a free throw or didn’t you? And we just over the course of time consistently did not shoot the ball well enough, in my time, to overcome tight losses or games where you played well enough defensively to win, but just didn’t have enough offense.

“I feel like shooting the ball is at a premium right now. We needed to shoot the ball better in my time at Indiana and have more shooting around some of the great post players that we had in my time. We had Juwan Morgan for two years who is with the Celtics. We recruited Trayce and Trayce has been an All-American since he’s been there.

“But we needed a little bit more firepower and spacing around those guys and we just didn’t do a good enough job, in my opinion, of either recruiting them or developing them, or putting them in a situation where they had better shots, whatever it may have been.

“One thing I wish as look back on it, (was that) we had paid maybe more careful attention to the shooting early on in our recruiting rather than just the talent. Sometimes you need bodies. And sometimes you need to get bigger. When you take over a job, you have to have massive turnover in your first two years so you know you’re going to have to recruit a lot of guys. And rather than just take good players and have a plan to develop guys while they get there, maybe more selection early on in terms of identifying shooting would have helped our cause a little bit more.

“But I have no regrets. Indiana is a great school. It’s a beautiful campus. All of the players have a great experience there. It’s a great place to go to school. But I have no regrets. Sometimes the toughest pills that you have to swallow end up being the ones that make you better at the end of the day and I envision that being the case after my time is gone there.”

It's unfortunate that Woody didn't read Archie's reflection from two years ago. The past is prologue. If you don't learn from history, then you are doomed to repeat it.

(The full interview by Talia Goodman with Miller is below)

“We recruited good players, we recruited good kids. I was happy to watch all of the guys that we brought there this season finally crack the opportunity to go to the tournament,” Miller said. “Trayce was a junior this year. As a freshman, he helped lead us to the tournament but it got canceled. So he had still never experienced that Selection Sunday. I was happy to watch their players this year do well.

“In my time there, there’s a lot of things you look back on and say, ‘boy, I wish I’d done this different. I wish I did this better.’ And I think part of what we have always aspired to do and will continue to aspire to do is have a skilled team. Have a team that’s based on the ability to play the game with versatility and skill. And we didn’t shoot the ball well enough in my time at Indiana to get over the hump.

“Offense, at the end of the day, really comes down to, did you make an open shot or didn’t you? Did you make a free throw or didn’t you? And we just over the course of time consistently did not shoot the ball well enough, in my time, to overcome tight losses or games where you played well enough defensively to win, but just didn’t have enough offense.

“I feel like shooting the ball is at a premium right now. We needed to shoot the ball better in my time at Indiana and have more shooting around some of the great post players that we had in my time. We had Juwan Morgan for two years who is with the Celtics. We recruited Trayce and Trayce has been an All-American since he’s been there.

“But we needed a little bit more firepower and spacing around those guys and we just didn’t do a good enough job, in my opinion, of either recruiting them or developing them, or putting them in a situation where they had better shots, whatever it may have been.

“One thing I wish as look back on it, (was that) we had paid maybe more careful attention to the shooting early on in our recruiting rather than just the talent. Sometimes you need bodies. And sometimes you need to get bigger. When you take over a job, you have to have massive turnover in your first two years so you know you’re going to have to recruit a lot of guys. And rather than just take good players and have a plan to develop guys while they get there, maybe more selection early on in terms of identifying shooting would have helped our cause a little bit more.

“But I have no regrets. Indiana is a great school. It’s a beautiful campus. All of the players have a great experience there. It’s a great place to go to school. But I have no regrets. Sometimes the toughest pills that you have to swallow end up being the ones that make you better at the end of the day and I envision that being the case after my time is gone there.”
Very well said by AM. Too bad it didn't work out for him here. Best wishes to him and his family.

Resign

Reactions: kmathum
We’re stuck with this mess another 3-4 years. IU leadership is clueless and Dolson is a puppet. There’s no way this hire wasn’t forced on him. What, you gonna fire Woody? As long as he’s getting 20 wins and a tourney invite every other year, this is above standard for a once blue blood program. Indiana high school talent would rather play at Purdue or look out of state. Look at the Indiana high school players on this roster they’ve landed. Most couldn’t start in the MAC. Compare this to the players they’ve lost to Purdue and out of state programs. A lot of damn good Indiana ballers out there and this staff continues to whiff on recruiting.

Reactions: CriticArisen
We’re stuck with this mess another 3-4 years. IU leadership is clueless and Dolson is a puppet. There’s no way this hire wasn’t forced on him. What, you gonna fire Woody? As long as he’s getting 20 wins and a tourney invite every other year, this is above standard for a once blue blood program. Indiana high school talent would rather play at Purdue or look out of state. Look at the Indiana high school players on this roster they’ve landed. Most couldn’t start in the MAC. Compare this to the players they’ve lost to Purdue and out of state programs. A lot of damn good Indiana ballers out there and this staff continues to whiff on recruiting.
Iu would rather chase a 5 star kid from Jersey or DC who will be here a year vs land a kid from Indiana who will be here 4 years. Ex..Mason Gillis, Kauffman, Furst, Smith, Loyer.

There are rumors of the Lakers about to fire HC Darvin Ham! Maybe could peak CMWs interest!🤔 reunite him with JHS!🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: ndhuntington
Most of knew after last season we needed more shooting why Woodson didn't address it is absurd. Next season there is a chance to add alot of shooting but will it matter if his philosophy doesn't change. I think Gunn and Banks don't fit the roster so you could really add up to seven shooters with Mgbako, Reneau, and McNeely. Plus we need a experience
assistant coach next season because fundamentals and development are not happening under these assistants.

There are rumors of the Lakers about to fire HC Darvin Ham! Maybe could peak CMWs interest!🤔 reunite him with JHS!🤷🏻‍♂️
lol the greatest basketball franchise of all time is. It hiring a struggling college coach

Dolson listened to Buckner and set the program back. TJD saved Woodson now you see what happens when you have a all americian covering up his coaching deficiencies.
That was always the concern. Woodson would need to recruit at an incredibly high level to mask his coaching. Like top 5 classes almost every year.

Most of knew after last season we needed more shooting why Woodson didn't address it is absurd. Next season there is a chance to add alot of shooting but will it matter if his philosophy doesn't change. I think Gunn and Banks don't fit the roster so you could really add up to seven shooters with Mgbako, Reneau, and McNeely. Plus we need a experience
assistant coach next season because fundamentals and development are not happening under these assistants.
Remember when the assistants coached the minnesota game last year we almost lost.

Reactions: ndhuntington
That was always the concern. Woodson would need to recruit at an incredibly high level to mask his coaching. Like top 5 classes almost every year.
We had two first round kids last year and didn’t get to the sweet 16. He needs a team of all stars to win

Iu would rather chase a 5 star kid from Jersey or DC who will be here a year vs land a kid from Indiana who will be here 4 years. Ex..Mason Gillis, Kauffman, Furst, Smith, Loyer.
But being fair, Zach Edey is why Purdue has been a top 5 team the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: demunn and kkott
laughable that you go on and on about that, and if we had that team, you'd be the first here crucifying CMW. Those guys together might be more fun to watch, but that team would not have any better record. PU has one difference maker and he ain't from IN.

laughable that you go on and on about that, and if we had that team, you'd be the first here crucifying CMW. Those guys together might be more fun to watch, but that team would not have any better record. PU has one difference maker and he ain't from IN.
lol I would be complaining because we had that roster? I guarantee without Edey they are still much better team than we are. They are better coached, better fundamentally sound, they can shoot and they have leadership.

Edey was the 75th ranked center in hs his senior year. The big boys were not jumping all over each other to get him. It's 100% player development.
Not 100%. You've got to give Edey a big chunk of the credit, that guy has worked and worked. If it was just development they'd have been just as good with Haas, or Hammons or Haarms. Painter's a good coach, but Edey deserves much of the credit.

Ok? He was what a 3 star kid they developed? Painter recruits teams not individuals
Completely agree. Credit to Edey/Painter but developing a 7'4" kid is easier than the gaggle of non-shooters we have. To your point, we haven't recruited teams in a long time. Even Crean was always preaching about the next savior ("help is on the way") but couldn't beat a 30 year old zone defense scheme.

lol I would be complaining because we had that roster? I guarantee without Edey they are still much better team than we are. They are better coached, better fundamentally sound, they can shoot and they have leadership.
You're talking about the team that IU swept last year, right?

To be honest who has Woodson developed since he got here? TJD was already good.
Nobody really and his only real legit recruit was a one and done. He hasn't recruited any four year foundation guys that are any good. Gunn and banks are both mostly worthless. Cupps who knows maybe in a few years. Malik I guess but that's two guys basically

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT