ADVERTISEMENT

Kj Evans

Rank in order who you would take from that Big Ten championship to add to last year's team that would have made the team the best.
1. Yogi
2. Troy Williams
3. Robert Johnson
4. OG
5. Nick Zeisloft
6. Thomas Bryant.

Troy Williams is a better Miller Kopp in the same way RJ and NZ were a better Parker Stewart. Obviously you put an AA in Yogi on the floor anyway you can but had you replaced Stewart and Kopp with RJ and Troy that's a top 15, maybe 10 team with our front court.

Williams senior season, the one in which you said he was improved, was his highest TO season and he avg'd 5.9/100 possessions. Kopp's number last year by comparison was 2.1.

Woody wouldn't have put up with the turnovers. If that makes me dumb, pedantic or clinically insane, so be it.

Kind of an odd hill to be fighting on anyway.
Troy Williams played 3 seasons in the NBA. Miller Kopp will be lucky to play in Armenia.

His turnovers at times were problematic but that's also at the expense of the chaotic pace Crean's teams liked to play at times. And while I don't think you're insane as the other poster alluded, I think you're way off base in you assessment of Troy and Kopp. Williams was every bit as good of, if not better defender than Miller, and brought a level of versatility on offense that Kopp couldn't. IU needed a slashing wing last year who could drive and get to the basket, we missed that aspect of the offense tremendously.

You're a complete moron.

Troy Williams dRtg 98.4 his last year ay IU; Kopp 102.7. Advantage Troy

Troy Williams defensive win shares 1.5, defensive +/- 2.6; Kopp DWS, 1.5, D +/- 1.8. Advantage again Troy

Troy Williams averaged 3.5 more rebounds a game, more steals and more blocks.

Stop being a flippant idiot.
Perfect. I wanted to see the stats but didn’t want to look them up. 😉

think you're way off base in you assessment of Troy and Kopp. Williams was every bit as good of, if not better defender than Miller, and brought a level of versatility on offense that Kopp couldn't
I'm not arguing Kopp is a better player than Williams. Kopp won't sniff the NBA. My point was that Williams' TO and D would have put him on the bench. The only reason Kopp saw so much time is that he usually took care of the ball and could be counted on to be in the right spot on D compared to better players/athletes behind him. I guess at the root of it, I was actually comparing Bates to Williams in that Bates was an example of how too many TOs and poor D was going to land you on Woody's bench, despite the guy in front of you (Kopp) being limited offensively.

1. Yogi
2. Troy Williams
3. Robert Johnson
4. OG
5. Nick Zeisloft
6. Thomas Bryant.

Troy Williams is a better Miller Kopp in the same way RJ and NZ were a better Parker Stewart. Obviously you put an AA in Yogi on the floor anyway you can but had you replaced Stewart and Kopp with RJ and Troy that's a top 15, maybe 10 team with our front court.
LOL that's ridiculous. JBJ, RJ, and Zeisloft would have been better options to replace Kopp than Williams. I can't believe you included freshman year OG over Thomas Bryant and JBJ. Comically bad take on your part.

LOL that's ridiculous. JBJ, RJ, and Zeisloft would have been better options to replace Kopp than Williams. I can't believe you included freshman year OG over Thomas Bryant and JBJ. Comically bad take on your part.
I went back and watched. Troy played at the 4 a lot. A better comparison is Troy vs other 4s. I know in Creans system he liked versatile guys 1-5. OG had games where he played 3 different spots. It’s hard to compare with Crean teams because of that. I think Troy had close to 100 turnovers his last season. Yikes!

JBJ got hurt that year moron and Thomas Bryant wouldn't have been that big of a need with TJD being there. You asked me to rank who I thought would have made this years team better, a hurt JBJ and Thomas Bryant coming off the bench does nothing.

This years team lacked a perimeter multi-tool scorer as well as a perimeter defender who could shut down the other teams best offensive player. Troy is a better defender than JBJ, RJ, and NZ and a better scorer than all three of those players, as well as Kopp.

JBJ got hurt that year moron and Thomas Bryant wouldn't have been that big of a need with TJD being there. You asked me to rank who I thought would have made this years team better, a hurt JBJ and Thomas Bryant coming off the bench does nothing.

This years team lacked a perimeter multi-tool scorer as well as a perimeter defender who could shut down the other teams best offensive player. Troy is a better defender than JBJ, RJ, and NZ and a better scorer than all three of those players, as well as Kopp.
Hey Moron, JBJ was still on the team. Other than Yogi he would have been the best player to have on last year’s team.

Yeah, Thomas Bryant wouldn’t have made our frontcourt better. Even though he is a better player and shooter than Race Thompson. No chance he could have been better off the bench than Michael Freaking Durr.

You did not just say Troy Williams was a better scorer than JBJ, did you? What a fvcking dumbass. Please try to defend that statement with facts. We will all gladly wait.

The teams biggest issue was shooting/scoring from the perimeter. The team was a great defensive team overall. I’m very glad you have no impact on the team.

Hey Moron, JBJ was still on the team. Other than Yogi he would have been the best player to have on last year’s team.

Yeah, Thomas Bryant wouldn’t have made our frontcourt better. Even though he is a better player and shooter than Race Thompson. No chance he could have been better off the bench than Michael Freaking Durr.

You did not just say Troy Williams was a better scorer than JBJ, did you? What a fvcking dumbass. Please try to defend that statement with facts. We will all gladly wait.

The teams biggest issue was shooting/scoring from the perimeter. The team was a great defensive team overall. I’m very glad you have no impact on the team.

Lol you just said you wouldn’t replace Kopp with Troy because he’s not a good defender yet would replace him with Blackmon? You’re an idiot. You ever wonder why IU got better AFTER Blackmon got hurt???

Troy Williams was the second most important piece on the B10 title team after Yogi without question.

why does every thread end up with everyone calling each other a moron , dumbass or worse, Coach Geez is the best poster on this board because he gives facts and opinions in his statements, and knows what Hes talking about

Troy Williams is a much better basketball player than Miller Koop, its not even debatable, As far as Woody would never play him , that's simply speculation, he very well could have y coached some of the wildness out of troys game

now quit acting like a bunch of ass hurt babies every time someone disagrees with you.

Go to the water cooler they have some clown named DANC over there who has basically ruined the board

Lol you just said you wouldn’t replace Kopp with Troy because he’s not a good defender yet would replace him with Blackmon? You’re an idiot. You ever wonder why IU got better AFTER Blackmon got hurt???

Troy Williams was the second most important piece on the B10 title team after Yogi without question.
Where did I say that? You confusing me with one of the other 5 posters telling you that you are crazy?

Williams would have been an upgrade to Kopp, but it wouldn’t have had a big impact. Williams didn’t address any of the team’s weaknesses. He would have been the 5th or 6th best option from that team to put on last year’s team to make it the better. William’s role on that team has no impact on whether or not he would have been the best fit for last year’s team.

Still waiting on you to defend saying Troy is a better offensive player than JBJ. Talk about idiotic.

You had a dumbass take, and now you are getting mad when everyone disagreed with you. Take the L.

Without question? 97 turnovers? You still have to factor that Troy played at the 4.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
why does every thread end up with everyone calling each other a moron , dumbass or worse, Coach Geez is the best poster on this board because he gives facts and opinions in his statements, and knows what Hes talking about

Troy Williams is a much better basketball player than Miller Koop, its not even debatable, As far as Woody would never play him , that's simply speculation, he very well could have y coached some of the wildness out of troys game

now quit acting like a bunch of ass hurt babies every time someone disagrees with.

Go to the water cooler they have some clown named DANC over there who has basically ruined the board
You drinking early today, Kurt? I didn’t see anyone say Miller Kopp was a better basketball player than Troy Williams.

Drink some water.

Where did I say that? You confusing me with one of the other 5 posters telling you that you are crazy?

Williams would have been an upgrade to Kopp, but it wouldn’t have had a big impact. Williams didn’t address any of the team’s weaknesses. He would have been the 5th or 6th best option from that team to put on last year’s team to make it the better. William’s role on that team has no impact on whether or not he would have been the best fit for last year’s team.

Still waiting on you to defend saying Troy is a better offensive player than JBJ. Talk about idiotic.

You had a dumbass take, and now you are getting mad when everyone disagreed with you. Take the L.

Troy Williams would have been last years best perimeter scorer by a mile and is an immeasurable upgrade defensively over Blackmon. Blackmon was a detriment to every IU team he ever played on despite being such a great perimeter shooter.

You drinking early today, Kurt? I didn’t see anyone say Miller Kopp was a better basketball player than Troy Williams.

Drink some water.
It is about how each one fit. I’m just not sure Troy would’ve slotted in on this team to best suit him. Maybe the 3 but he wasn’t best there. At the 4? His turnovers would’ve definitely been a factor for playing time. I’d say he would’ve backed up race at the 4 or he would’ve started over race with race backing him up. His TO ratio was just terrible. We know how woody feels about that.

Troy Williams would have been last years best perimeter scorer by a mile and is an immeasurable upgrade defensively over Blackmon. Blackmon was a detriment to every IU team he ever played on despite being such a great perimeter shooter.
Blackmon is significantly better than Troy Williams as a perimeter scorer and Williams obviously doesn’t compare to JBJ’s shooting ability. Last year our biggest issues were perimeter scoring and shooting. Williams doesn’t address those issues.

JBJ was not a detriment to every IU team he played on. Again with the terrible takes.

You lost. Take your L and move on.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Without question? 97 turnovers? You still have to factor that Troy played at the 4.

Troy played the 4 because Crean’s system allowed it and the had multiple other guards who could score. Troy Williams could have just as easily played Miller Kopp’s role last year and elevated the position to an actual strength. Miller Kopp had virtually a 0 offensive win share last year and an offensive rtg below 100. Both are terrible. But, but, but turnovers. Learn basketball.

It is about how each one fit. I’m just not sure Troy would’ve slotted in on this team to best suit him. Maybe the 3 but he wasn’t best there. At the 4? His turnovers would’ve definitely been a factor for playing time. I’d say he would’ve backed up race at the 4 or he would’ve started over race with race backing him up. His TO ratio was just terrible. We know how woody feels about that.
He probably would have started at the 3, but wouldn’t have made the team much better because it would have just allowed teams to clog the paint even more than they already were.

Blackmon is significantly better than Troy Williams as a perimeter scorer and Williams obviously doesn’t compare to JBJ’s shooting ability. Last year our biggest issues were perimeter scoring and shooting. Williams doesn’t address those issues.

JBJ was not a detriment to every IU team he played on. Again with the terrible takes.

You lost. Take your L and move on.

IU won the B10 in spite of JBJ and had a losing record with two other NBA players on it the following year. A complete detriment to IU.

IU won the B10 in spite of JBJ and had a losing record with two other NBA players on it the following year. A complete detriment to IU.
Still waiting for you to defend Troy Williams being a better offensive player than James Blackmon Jr. I’ll keep saying it until you either take it back and admit it was a dumbass comment, or you try to actually defend it.

Troy played the 4 because Crean’s system allowed it and the had multiple other guards who could score. Troy Williams could have just as easily played Miller Kopp’s role last year and elevated the position to an actual strength. Miller Kopp had virtually a 0 offensive win share last year and an offensive rtg below 100. Both are terrible. But, but, but turnovers. Learn basketball.
Our biggest need was at the 2-3 granted but I’m just not sold on him playing 25 min turning the ball over. Now I’ll go learn Basketball. Don’t you have a bet to settle on GBM?

Still waiting for you to defend Troy Williams being a better offensive player than James Blackmon Jr. I’ll keep saying it until you either take it back and admit it was a dumbass comment, or you try to actually defend it.

He’s a better offensive player than JBJ. He’s not the shooter JBJ is, never implied it, but he’s more dynamic and versatile. Without question.

Factor in that JBJ couldn’t play defense if he tried, you get a better basketball player. Again, there’s a reason why IU was a better team without JBJ than with. You’ll learn one day that recruiting stars don’t mean a damn thing at this level.

He’s a better offensive player than JBJ. He’s not the shooter JBJ is, never implied it, but he’s more dynamic and versatile. Without question.

Factor in that JBJ couldn’t play defense if he tried, you get a better basketball player. Again, there’s a reason why IU was a better team without JBJ than with. You’ll learn one day that recruiting stars don’t mean a damn thing at this level.
You claim to know basketball, yet you are going to die on this hill. Now that you have doubled down on your dumbass take, I'll put you in your place with stats.

Troy Williams (Jr Year):
MPG: 26.2
PPG: 13.3
APG: 2.0
TPG: 2.7
FG%: 51.3%
3pt%: 34.7%
FT%: 69.1%
PER: 22.1
ORtng: 111.0
Ows: 2.2
Obpm: 3.6

James Blackmon Jr (Jr Year):
MPG: 30.5
PPG: 17.0
APG: 1.9
TPG: 1.9
FG%: 47.7%
3pt%: 42.3%
FT%: 83.7%
PER: 22.5
ORtng: 124.7
Ows: 3.3
Obpm: 7.4

Williams leads in APG by .1. Williams barely leads in FG% even though JBJ took 140 more 3 pointers.

Given these statistics, your assertion that Williams is the better offensive player and a more versatile offensive player is incorrect. Not even on the same planet offensively. JBJ is one of the best offensive players we've ever had. Take your L and move on.

No one said anything about recruiting stars. Troy was top 50, so it's not like he was a low ranked player like OG and Oladipo.

now quit acting like a bunch of ass hurt babies every time someone disagrees with you.

Thanks for the words Kurt. Yeah I try to avoid these hostile arguments, unless of course it's one of our rival brethren piling on, but this thread has gotten silly.

My last 2 cents...Troy Williams would have started and played 30+ minutes in every game for IU this year. His versatility would have been too important to keep off the floor. Would have played the bulk of minutes at Kopp's spot but would have cut into Race minutes as well. Unlike Geronimo, Williams could handle the ball and guard out to the perimeter. Didn't have a single player on this years team capable of that.

All the other non-sequitur BS about who would play on this years team from other teams is just dumb. Each player mentioned had their strengths and weakness. Blackmon could shoot and score but couldn't defend a lick and Woody wouldn't have stood for that. OG would have made this team an even more dangerous defensive team. Bryant/TJD combo would have been interesting as well.

Last edited:
You claim to know basketball, yet you are going to die on this hill. Now that you have doubled down on your dumbass take, I'll put you in your place with stats.

Troy Williams (Jr Year):

James Blackmon Jr (Jr Year):
MPG: 30.5
PPG: 17.0
TPG: 1.9
FG%: 47.7%
3pt%: 42.3%
FT%: 83.7%
PER: 22.5
ORtng: 124.7
Ows: 3.3

Williams leads in APG by .1. Williams barely leads in FG% even though JBJ took 140 more 3 pointers.

Given these statistics, your assertion that Williams is the better offensive player and a more versatile offensive player is incorrect. Not even on the same planet offensively. JBJ is one of the best offensive players we've ever had. Take your L and move on.

No one said anything about recruiting stars. Troy was top 50, so it's not like he was a low ranked player like OG and Oladipo.

Why don’t you actually compare the years they started alongside one another? You know the year where JBJ went down with an injury and IU ended the year going 18-5 down the stretch to win the B10 outright.

Thanks for the words Kurt. Yeah I try to avoid these hostile arguments, unless of course it's one of our rival brethren piling on, but this thread has gotten silly.

My last 2 cents...Troy Williams would have started and played 30+ minutes in every game for IU this year. His versatility would have been too important to keep off the floor. Would have played the bulk of minutes at Kopp's spot but would have cut into Race minutes as well. Unlike Geronimo, Williams could handle the ball and guard out to the perimeter. Didn't have a single player on this years team capable of that.

All the other non-sequitur BS about who would play on this years team from other teams is just dumb. Each player mentioned had their strengths and weakness. Blackmon could shoot and score but couldn't defend a lick and Woody wouldn't have stood for that. OG would have made this team an even more dangerous defensive team. Bryant/TJD combo would have been interesting as well.
someone had the YouTube clip up the other day of when IU beat UK in the tournament , Troy was very good that game, something else that stuck out we probably had better talent that year than UK which hasn't been the case very often in the last 30 years, Jamal Murray is a helluva player but they really fell off after him, UK was still loaded with McDs AA;s but it turned out to be a very weak class, I think Skal Labrisse [SP] was the number 1 player in the country coming out of HS,

that game also reminded me of how far we have fallen in recruiting basically since that season. Crean was building something here before the wheels abruptly came off.

Just curious what level did you coach at? I do respect your knowledge.

Why don’t you actually compare the years they started alongside one another? You know the year where JBJ went down with an injury and IU ended the year going 18-5 down the stretch to win the B10 outright.
Lol you want me to take the year where JBJ's numbers were better? Okay....

Troy Williams (Jr Year):

James Blackmon Jr (Sophomore Year):
MPG: 24.5
PPG: 15.8
TPG: 1.8
FG%: 48.0%
3pt%: 46.3%
FT%: 85.2%
PER: 27.6
ORtng: 122.4
Ows: 1.3

Does this change your mind now? JBJ is one of the best offensive perimeter players to ever play at IU. The numbers don't lie.

Troy Williams (Jr Year):

Does this change your mind now? JBJ is one of the best offensive perimeter players to ever play at IU. The numbers don't lie.
Not my fight but don't see much there that points to JBJ being much better than anything but a better 3 point shooter. I think that's what Tim is hinting at. OBPM is significantly skewed in this instance in my opinion because Blackmon got hurt in the non-conference and really only played inferior competition outside 2 or 3 games.

someone had the YouTube clip up the other day of when IU beat UK in the tournament , Troy was very good that game, something else that stuck out we probably had better talent that year than UK which hasn't been the case very often in the last 30 years, Jamal Murray is a helluva player but they really fell off after him, UK was still loaded with McDs AA;s but it turned out to be a very weak class, I think Skal Labrisse [SP] was the number 1 player in the country coming out of HS,

that game also reminded me of how far we have fallen in recruiting basically since that season. Crean was building something here before the wheels abruptly came off.

Just curious what level did you coach at? I do respect your knowledge.
Tyler Ulis was a very good PG, AA that year. JBJ being out injured allowed for a guy like OG to come in and guard Murray who he made life miserable, 8-17 from the floor and 1-9 from 3. Murray would have eaten JBJ's lunch and then some.

I started out coaching JUCO in IL at 22 as a graduate assistant. Was an assistant at the D2 level in the 80's and have coached both girls and boys at the high school level in IL and IN. Have volunteered for a few AAU programs over the years and finally retired from everything in 2017.

Not my fight but don't see much there that points to JBJ being much better than anything but a better 3 point shooter. I think that's what Tim is hinting at. OBPM is significantly skewed in this instance in my opinion because Blackmon got hurt in the non-conference and really only played inferior competition outside 2 or 3 games.
That's why I initially used their respective Jr years. Even then Blackmon's numbers are significantly better than Williams. Given that Blackmon took significantly more 3s, Williams FG% should be significantly higher, but it wasn't because JBJ was also great inside the arc. He is a true 3 level scorer. Williams was a dunker.

It isn't even close. JBJ is the better offensive player.

Troy Williams (Jr Year):

Not at all. See coach post below.

Take JBJ all you want, there's a reason the teams he played on at IU won nothing.

Not at all. See coach post below.

Take JBJ all you want, there's a reason the teams he played on at IU won nothing.
I saw Geez's post. It didn't change anything. You seem to get lost in the conversation a lot, because this is about who the better offensive player is, not who the better basketball player is. Offensively, it's not close. Defensively it's also not close and Williams wasn't even a good defender. Who you would take is more about team need. Last year's team needed JBJ more than they needed Troy Williams.

I saw Geez's post. It didn't change anything. You seem to get lost in the conversation a lot, because this is about who the better offensive player is, not who the better basketball player is. Offensively, it's not close. Defensively it's also not close and Williams wasn't even a good defender. Who you would take is more about team need. Last year's team needed JBJ more than they needed Troy Williams.
No it didn't. Last years team needed at net positive out of Kopp's position. It got nothing. Williams is a better defender and way better offensive player than Kopp. Last year's team needed a guy who could guard the other teams best perimeter player and manufacture points from a perimeter spot. Blackmon is capable of doing one of those things, Williams both. Williams equaled Stewart and Kopp's production by himself and you wouldn't have had to give anything up defensively. Try and keep up.

No it didn't. Last years team needed at net positive out of Kopp's position. It got nothing. Williams is a better defender and way better offensive player than Kopp. Last year's team needed a guy who could guard the other teams best perimeter player and manufacture points from a perimeter spot. Blackmon is capable of doing one of those things, Williams both. Williams equaled Stewart and Kopp's production by himself and you wouldn't have had to give anything up defensively. Try and keep up.
The need was the wings2-3. So both could be applicable. We needed a volume wing shooter and a dynamic 3. Choose which one or both. Both spots are hard to guard unless a team played us. We weren’t hard to guard at all.

You are saying things that don’t matter. Both JBJ and Williams would have been an upgrade to Kopp. JBJ would have been the bigger upgrade.

You keep acting like Williams was a stud defender when he wasn’t. Was he better than Kopp? Yes. Was he a good defender capable of shutting down an opposing team’s perimeter star? No. Not even close really.

We were 24th in Kenpom defensive efficiency last year. Our defense was not a problem. We were 95th in Kenpom offensive efficiency last year. Our offense was a huge issue. Late in the game teams would pack the paint against us and dare us to hit perimeter shots. Troy Williams doesn’t solve that issue. JBJ does.

You are saying things that don’t matter. Both JBJ and Williams would have been an upgrade to Kopp. JBJ would have been the bigger upgrade.

You keep acting like Williams was a stud defender when he wasn’t. Was he better than Kopp? Yes. Was he a good defender capable of shutting down an opposing team’s perimeter star? No. Not even close really.

We were 24th in Kenpom defensive efficiency last year. Our defense was not a problem. We were 95th in Kenpom offensive efficiency last year. Our offense was a huge issue. Late in the game teams would pack the paint against us and dare us to hit perimeter shots. Troy Williams doesn’t solve that issue. JBJ does.
JBJ wouldn't be end at the end of a close game because he couldn't guard anybody. What don't you understand about this? JBJ's defensive rating was horrible, he was an absolute liability every single time he stepped on the court. IU's defensive efficiency would have taken a massive hit with JBJ's presence on the court and it would have been magnified playing at the direct pace that Woody likes to play. You can get away with poor defensive possessions from time to time when you play at the pace that Crean's team did because even poor defensive possessions don't automatically equate to a missed shot, but you cannot play a defender as bad JBJ at Woody's tempo. It's why guys like Bates and Geronimo sat as much as they did. Their negative defense far outweighs any kind of offense they may bring.

JBJ wouldn't be end at the end of a close game because he couldn't guard anybody. What don't you understand about this? JBJ's defensive rating was horrible, he was an absolute liability every single time he stepped on the court. IU's defensive efficiency would have taken a massive hit with JBJ's presence on the court and it would have been magnified playing at the direct pace that Woody likes to play. You can get away with poor defensive possessions from time to time when you play at the pace that Crean's team did because even poor defensive possessions don't automatically equate to a missed shot, but you cannot play a defender as bad JBJ at Woody's tempo. It's why guys like Bates and Geronimo sat as much as they did. Their negative defense far outweighs any kind of offense they may bring.
This just makes no sense. Of course JBJ would be in at the end of games. He’s a proven clutch player and would have been the team’s best free throw shooter which is obviously needed for late game fouling. Now they would have probably done offense/defense substitutions like most teams do, but he would have definitely been out there.

You act like he is significantly worse as a defender than Stewart or Kopp. He’s really not.

If Bates or Geronimo could do what JBJ could offensively, they wouldn’t have been sitting. They were both poor on defense and not great on offense. Terrible comparison

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT