ADVERTISEMENT

Kj Evans

LifelongIU

Benchwarmer
Silver Member
Jun 11, 2022
I know he's supposed to visit this month,but not sure when and haven't heard much on him lately. When is his visit? Any new developments?

I know he's supposed to visit this month,but not sure when and haven't heard much on him lately. When is his visit? Any new developments?
Recruiting for post players is heating up. Evans, Queen and Booker are all very interested. All bring different skills. I really like Bookers skill set. He’s a really unique player in that class. Queen is physical around the basket. KJ is a mixture.

Recruiting for post players is heating up. Evans, Queen and Booker are all very interested. All bring different skills. I really like Bookers skill set. He’s a really unique player in that class. Queen is physical around the basket. KJ is a mixture.
Kj is listed as a 3 though. Any thoughts on the possibility of both Evans and Booker? That would be a huge problem when it comes to minutes,but a good problem to have if it happens.

Kj is listed as a 3 though. Any thoughts on the possibility of both Evans and Booker? That would be a huge problem when it comes to minutes,but a good problem to have if it happens.
We may only get one. May get 2. Maybe none. I doubt Booker and Evans. Queen is more of a modern 5. Even though he’s not really tall. Do I could see him and one of the other two.

Reactions: LifelongIU
We may only get one. May get 2. Maybe none. I doubt Booker and Evans. Queen is more of a modern 5. Even though he’s not really tall. Do I could see him and one of the other two.
Has Queen officially reclassified(again) or is it just speculation at this point?

Kwame (K.J.) Evans (2023) final five is Indiana, Kentucky, Oregon, Auburn and UCLA. Evans is a high school teammate of 2022 Indiana signee Jalen Hood-Schifino. Evans plans to announce his commitment after his AAU season and before his high school senior season.

Reactions: 76-1
The way recruiting goes, this could be a four man class or a six man class.

You just never know.
Page and Coen Carr I think are the most likely commits. Really like his athleticism and upside and I'm not convinced he's done growing. Of course you take a Queen or Booker and don't stop recruiting them until they are off the board, but a 4 man class of Newton, Cupps, Carr, and Page is very solid.

Page and Coen Carr I think are the most likely commits. Really like his athleticism and upside and I'm not convinced he's done growing. Of course you take a Queen or Booker and don't stop recruiting them until they are off the board, but a 4 man class of Newton, Cupps, Carr, and Page is very solid.

Reading the tea leaves, Carr has really slipped down the priority list.

This staff wants a shooter in the worst way. That is not Carr. I'm not saying he won't be a take, but I think that if he called and wanted to commit today, the staff wouldn't take it at this moment.

This staff wants a shooter in the worst way. That is not Carr. I'm not saying he won't be a take, but I think that if he called and wanted to commit today, the staff wouldn't take it at this moment.
That’s why getting a good shooter at the 3/4 spot is important right now. I know queen plays like a modern 5. I really like Booker. I think the knocks on him are overblown.

Would be a shame to give up on Carr. Elite athlete who can be a lock down perimeter player, something this team lacks. Cupps and Newton are adequate shooters and Gunn and Banks shoot it well for this incoming class. Makes sense though as IU is still pursuing Kaiser pretty hard.

Would be a shame to give up on Carr. Elite athlete who can be a lock down perimeter player, something this team lacks. Cupps and Newton are adequate shooters and Gunn and Banks shoot it well for this incoming class. Makes sense though as IU is still pursuing Kaiser pretty hard.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on Kaiser. He's committing at the end of the month and the odds of him visiting before then aren't looking good.

Stojakovic is a player we'd love to have. If he keeps playing well, Brady Dunlap is someone the staff could get really serious about. TJ Powers is someone the staff really likes as well.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on Kaiser. He's committing at the end of the month and the odds of him visiting before then aren't looking good.

Stojakovic is a player we'd love to have. If he keeps playing well, Brady Dunlap is someone the staff could get really serious about. TJ Powers is someone the staff really likes as well.
And I don't think Kaiser is a realistic get either as I don't see him leaving the DMV area which is why I'm surprised the staff has cooled on Carr. I thought there was some serious interest between both parties and he'd be a complementary piece to the two guards who are already verballed.

And I don't think Kaiser is a realistic get either as I don't see him leaving the DMV area which is why I'm surprised the staff has cooled on Carr. I thought there was some serious interest between both parties and he'd be a complementary piece to the two guards who are already verballed.

Last years team struggled to shoot, so I think the idea to get as many shooters as we can is the idea.

Carr has trouble hitting a jumper from anywhere outside the lane. He airballed a free throw last AAU cycle, plus being injured and not playing hasn't helped his cause at all.

Cupps is a much better shooter then Newton. Problem with Cupps is he doesn't shoot it enough. Newton's shot is coming along, but he's definitely not a shooter. He can get there, but it's not his strong suit. He's definitely better going down hill.

When I say shooter, it seems the staff wants someone that the players primary skill is 3 point shooting. I wouldn't characterize either Cupps nor Newton's biggest asset as shooting (Cupps as a distributor and Newton as a slasher).

we've backed off on Carr..

Can't shoot

Then why pursue him in the first place? I get the fascination of wanting to have 5 guys on the floor who can all shot 50% from 3, but that’s not practical in this climate. IU desperately needs a wing athlete who can score at different levels as well take away the other teams best perimeter player. Everything I’ve read on Carr points to him being that type of player. It’s not the end of the world if he goes elsewhere, but why suddenly decide to back off a prospect who’ve you shown increased interest too over a sustained period of time?

Reactions: SWA
Then why pursue him in the first place? I get the fascination of wanting to have 5 guys on the floor who can all shot 50% from 3, but that’s not practical in this climate. IU desperately needs a wing athlete who can score at different levels as well take away the other teams best perimeter player. Everything I’ve read on Carr points to him being that type of player. It’s not the end of the world if he goes elsewhere, but why suddenly decide to back off a prospect who’ve you shown increased interest too over a sustained period of time?
Hell I don't know but I've read that the staff has backed off for some reason. I'm only guessing it's his horrible shooting.

Maybe they get a strong feeling about booker and quick, like maybe they are ready to commit. Im sure if they are backing off somebody they have a good reason and qell never know why

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

We were monitoring him during his high school season but then he got hurt (finger I believe) that set him back a bit and others have definitely passed him by.

I think it's a matter of the staff reevaluating the needs of the team and Carr not fitting those right now. Could we circle back? Absolutely. This is recruiting. Right now though, everything out there says he's down the list of wants.

If he can’t shoot then he doesn’t fit the bill. The backed off because his shooting got worse. Not a little but a lot. Cant score from all three levels.

Maybe they get a strong feeling about booker and quick, like maybe they are ready to commit. Im sure if they are backing off somebody they have a good reason and qell never know why
I like Booker a lot and he should already be on board but apparently some damage was done. If I am CMW, I bring him in, let him know we want him and what his opportunities are, let him meet with H4G to see what his NIL forecast might be, then win fast/lose fast and move on.

Reactions: kmathum
What do you mean by not practical “in this climate”?

Exactly the way I said it. You’re not going to have 5 shooters all on the floor at once who can shoot 50% from 3. That isn’t practical. You need guys who fill certain roles and there’s an absolutely a need for an elite athlete like Carr who can be a great two-way player despite not being a great perimeter player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT