ADVERTISEMENT

Kj Evans

This just makes no sense. Of course JBJ would be in at the end of games. He’s a proven clutch player and would have been the team’s best free throw shooter which is obviously needed for late game fouling. Now they would have probably done offense/defense substitutions like most teams do, but he would have definitely been out there.

You act like he is significantly worse as a defender than Stewart or Kopp. He’s really not.

If Bates or Geronimo could do what JBJ could offensively, they wouldn’t have been sitting. They were both poor on defense and not great on offense. Terrible comparison
To be fair, both Bates and Geronimo were better offensive players than Galloway and Kopp last year, as well as Rob Phinisee, but you saw those 3 play in favor of Bates and Geronimo, not only at the end of the game but in regulation in general because of their defense. If you're still confused as to this, you didn't pay much attention.

To be fair, both Bates and Geronimo were better offensive players than Galloway and Kopp last year, as well as Rob Phinisee, but you saw those 3 play in favor of Bates and Geronimo, not only at the end of the game but in regulation in general because of their defense. If you're still confused as to this, you didn't pay much attention.
And they didn’t make mistakes. Woody hates turnovers and being out of position on D more than he likes better offense. I include that in my debates too. I never argue that Kopp etc. is better than a JG or a Bates. It’s just what woody wants.

Kopp and Galloway had no impact on Geronimo. He didn’t play because he wasn’t better offensively or defensively than Race or TJD.

Bates was not better offensively than Kopp or Galloway. Not even close really. He shot 34% from the field and 30% from 3. Galloway was 57% from the field and Kopp 36% from the field and 3.

If we had JBJ last year he would have been playing 30 mpg just like he did under Crean. His offense far outweighs his defense. You guys act like there aren’t star college basketball players every single year who are liabilities defensively. The good coaches are good at hiding it.

Kopp and Galloway had no impact on Geronimo. He didn’t play because he wasn’t better offensively or defensively than Race or TJD.

Bates was not better offensively than Kopp or Galloway. Not even close really. He shot 34% from the field and 30% from 3. Galloway was 57% from the field and Kopp 36% from the field and 3.

If we had JBJ last year he would have been playing 30 mpg just like he did under Crean. His offense far outweighs his defense. You guys act like there aren’t star college basketball players every single year who are liabilities defensively. The good coaches are good at hiding it.

Don’t disagree that JBJ wouldn’t have played on last years team. He wouldn’t have been a more important piece than Troy Williams however.

Don’t disagree that JBJ wouldn’t have played on last years team. He wouldn’t have been a more important piece than Troy Williams however.
If you include what Woodson wants neither one would play. It’s hard for me to get past Troy’s 100 turnovers. I’m thinking in Woodys terms. That’s a lot of possessions and we weren’t exactly great in that area. Got way better as the year went though.

Tyler Ulis was a very good PG, AA that year. JBJ being out injured allowed for a guy like OG to come in and guard Murray who he made life miserable, 8-17 from the floor and 1-9 from 3. Murray would have eaten JBJ's lunch and then some.

I started out coaching JUCO in IL at 22 as a graduate assistant. Was an assistant at the D2 level in the 80's and have coached both girls and boys at the high school level in IL and IN. Have volunteered for a few AAU programs over the years and finally retired from everything in 2017.
I played juco in the mid 80s, may have crossed paths, I remember OG blocking a jump shot by Murray, that game was his coming out party, shame he got hurt his soph year we never got to see the best of him

If you include what Woodson wants neither one would play. It’s hard for me to get past Troy’s 100 turnovers. I’m thinking in Woodys terms. That’s a lot of possessions and we weren’t exactly great in that area. Got way better as the year went though.

Many of Troy’s turnovers were a product of the environment. Fast tempo, lack of half court sets, etc. We’ve seen Woody hone in on an erratic player in XJ and correct those kinds of mistakes. You can’t teach Troy’s skill set with that combination of athleticism. It’s why he’s been only one of the few players from Indiana in the last 5-6 years to see an NBA floor. Williams has an NBA skill set and that is something Woody is obviously comfortable working with.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Exactly the way I said it. You’re not going to have 5 shooters all on the floor at once who can shoot 50% from 3. That isn’t practical. You need guys who fill certain roles and there’s an absolutely a need for an elite athlete like Carr who can be a great two-way player despite not being a great perimeter player.
So...in any climate.

No it didn't. Last years team needed at net positive out of Kopp's position. It got nothing. Williams is a better defender and way better offensive player than Kopp. Last year's team needed a guy who could guard the other teams best perimeter player and manufacture points from a perimeter spot. Blackmon is capable of doing one of those things, Williams both. Williams equaled Stewart and Kopp's production by himself and you wouldn't have had to give anything up defensively. Try and keep up.
Lol....what dumb post.

Lol....what dumb post.

What’s dumb about it? The part where IU got nothing from its two off ball guards last year or that Blackmon was a terrible defender? Either way both are true.

You aren’t going to contend, let alone win anything of record with your 2 and 3 guards averaging 6 and 7 points collectively. That’s a no-no in todays basketball world.

And I don't think Kaiser is a realistic get either as I don't see him leaving the DMV area which is why I'm surprised the staff has cooled on Carr. I thought there was some serious interest between both parties and he'd be a complementary piece to the two guards who are already verballed.

Kaiser is now saying that he wants to take more visits before making a decision and we're one of the schools he wants to get to.

Said he's holding off on committing now, not doing it at the end of the month. Recruiting changes on a dime, so who knows anymore with these kids.

Reactions: baileyiu
Saw on another site that Booker’s visit to IU the other day went extremely well. Evidently he and his folks were very impressed.

Exactly the way I said it. You’re not going to have 5 shooters all on the floor at once who can shoot 50% from 3. That isn’t practical. You need guys who fill certain roles and there’s an absolutely a need for an elite athlete like Carr who can be a great two-way player despite not being a great perimeter player.
If one of the 5 is the size of Al Horford I’d take it

And they didn’t make mistakes. Woody hates turnovers and being out of position on D more than he likes better offense. I include that in my debates too. I never argue that Kopp etc. is better than a JG or a Bates. It’s just what woody wants.
TJD and X were the focal points, the rest are support players. Support players can't turn the ball over.

You're insane if you think Woody would have played Kopp over Troy. Kopp played because there wasn't a better option. Nothing more, nothing less.
As much as I hate to admit it I don’t think that’s true! I think woody really likes kopp probably reminds him of some old school iu players. But I guess we will find out this year but I have a gut feeling kopp still starts.

Many of Troy’s turnovers were a product of the environment. Fast tempo, lack of half court sets, etc. We’ve seen Woody hone in on an erratic player in XJ and correct those kinds of mistakes. You can’t teach Troy’s skill set with that combination of athleticism. It’s why he’s been only one of the few players from Indiana in the last 5-6 years to see an NBA floor. Williams has an NBA skill set and that is something Woody is obviously comfortable working with.
Gordon Yogi, zeller, Vic, Romeo, Morgan, OG, and TB are eight others that have seen the floor in the last 5-6 years.

Gordon Yogi, zeller, Vic, Romeo, Morgan, OG, and TB are eight others that have seen the floor in the last 5-6 years.
Gordon (nope) Yogi (nope) Zeller (nope) Vic (nope) Romeo (nope) Morgan (yeah! you got one) OG (another one...you're on a role) TB (yep, definitely on a role).
The others played for IU of course just not in the last 6 yrs. Don't care who wins the argument just thought we should be accurate.

Gordon (nope) Yogi (nope) Zeller (nope) Vic (nope) Romeo (nope) Morgan (yeah! you got one) OG (another one...you're on a role) TB (yep, definitely on a role).
The others played for IU of course just not in the last 6 yrs. Don't care who wins the argument just thought we should be accurate.
He means NBA I believe. So yes not nope.

Even if it was they played at IU in the last 6 years and have played in the league (which isn't the case), you're not accurate either. Romeo is a yes.

They were talking about former IU players logging NBA minutes in the last 6 years.

Even if it was they played at IU in the last 6 years and have played in the league (which isn't the case), you're not accurate either. Romeo is a yes.

They were talking about former IU players logging NBA minutes in the last 6 years.
You can’t come in out if left field and bust balls and be wrong. How you gonna say Romeo hasn’t played in the last 6 years? Nvm, he is very forgettable.

Troy is on the short list of former IU players in the last 5-6 who have logged NBA minutes. Gordon, Vic, Zeller, Vonleh all came before Troy. OG is the only player in that time frame who plays a significant role in the NBA. Romeo, TB, Juwan and Yogi along with Troy are the other players to see an NBA floor. Acting like Troy was some destitute player is laughable.

As much as I hate to admit it I don’t think that’s true! I think woody really likes kopp probably reminds him of some old school iu players. But I guess we will find out this year but I have a gut feeling kopp still starts.
Oh lord. I’m still holding out hope he transfers.

Reactions: Btownboom
Troy is on the short list of former IU players in the last 5-6 who have logged NBA minutes. Gordon, Vic, Zeller, Vonleh all came before Troy. OG is the only player in that time frame who plays a significant role in the NBA. Romeo, TB, Juwan and Yogi along with Troy are the other players to see an NBA floor. Acting like Troy was some destitute player is laughable.
I have no idea if Troy is destitute.

You don't use your words too good.

• Haha
Reactions: Cavanagh

Wait, you didn't know that you should throw out big words to try to cover for being wrong???? How else are you going to look smart after looking stupid????

Word destitute as an adj applies perfectly here.

destitute • \DESS-tuh-toot\ • adjective. 1 : lacking something needed or desirable 2 : lacking possessions and resources; especially : suffering extreme poverty.

Wait, you didn't know that you should throw out big words to try to cover for being wrong???? How else are you going to look smart after looking stupid????
What was I wrong about? Name the players from IU who have played in the NBA since Troy Williams left campus? Who am I missing?

What was I wrong about? Name the players from IU who have played in the NBA since Troy Williams left campus? Who am I missing?
I interpreted it different than you. I obviously was referring to who has played in the NBA in the last 6 years. When trying to correct me, you said Romeo did not play in the last 5-6 years.

Im poking fun at you for trying to correct me, while still being wrong in your correction. Summer is slow, let's move on.

I interpreted it different than you. I obviously was referring to who has played in the NBA in the last 6 years. When trying to correct me, you said Romeo did not play in the last 5-6 years.

Im poking fun at you for trying to correct me, while still being wrong in your correction. Summer is slow, let's move on.
You're confusing me with someone else. HookyIU1990 is the one confused with Romeo. I never said anything about Romeo not playing in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT