ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

You missed the entire point of my post….it had nothing to do with Mathias playing 14 games in the NBA or even what his NBA career looked like.

Heck, you typed a lot of words and didn’t even stay on topic with what I was talking about. Want to try again? Or do you want to stick with ignoring what the post was about to use one sentence to change the topic of the discussion?
I wasn't trying to stay on topic. Quite the contrary, when you brought up Dakota Mathias' "NBA career", I slammed on the brakes, threw it in reverse and backed over that comment a few times for good measure. You could've picked any # of former PU players who had NBA stops, but you chose to mention him, not me. Give me a moment, when I can straighten up from laughing, I'm gonna point to!

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I wasn't trying to stay on topic. Quite the contrary, when you brought up Dakota Mathias' "NBA career", I slammed on the brakes, threw it in reverse and backed over that comment a few times for good measure. You could've picked any # of former PU players who had NBA stops, but you chose to mention him, not me. Give me a moment, when I can straighten up from laughing, I'm gonna point to!
I purposely brought up an extreme example and you ignored the point of the post and the question.

• Haha
You said."Painter doesn't want 1 and done players,he prefers 2-4 year guys"....after someone said Purdue hasn't had any 1 and done kids. So my question is..why would anyone not want the most talented players? Or,is that an excuse because pu can't get any 1 and done recruits? Seems likely it's not because pu doesn't want them.
I never said he doesn’t want them. He has gone after a few and missed. Hasn’t as much recently. He does seem to prefer 2-4 year guys though. Painter does want the most talented guys. And to his credit, he seems to be getting some of the most talented guys each year.

• Haha
So Walter’s is landing or favored to land all these high profile recruits off his word? And Purdue didn’t put together a NIL package better than OSU for Marion Dye? Interesting.
You can cite a player here or there where PU gets aggressive, but that’s hardly the whole picture, what matters is the total raised and PU isn’t very good. Sorry.

You can cite a player here or there where PU gets aggressive, but that’s hardly the whole picture, what matters is the total raised and PU isn’t very good. Sorry.
Were you seeing that number? I can cite a lot of players for football. Or Walter’s is a really good recruiter. Tom Deinhart thinks Purdue football NIL is in the 7-13 range. Out of 18.

• Haha
So Walter’s is landing or favored to land all these high profile recruits off his word? And Purdue didn’t put together a NIL package better than OSU for Marion Dye? Interesting.
Marion Dye isn't anywhere near the priority for Ohio State as he is Purdue. If Dye was a must get prospect for Ohio State, their package for him dwarfs anything Purdue can dream of putting together. It's all about perspective.

• Love
Already discussed in one of these threads. PU collective is under $10M, probably by quite a bit. Not good.
Yes. As I mentioned. It is approaching 10m. It’s not there yet. It’s making significant strides though. Walter’s is bringing in a ton of money. He’s working it hard. Knows what it takes to win in CFB. And based on his recruiting, seems it is working. Obviously haven’t seen the product in the field yet.

• Haha
Marion Dye isn't anywhere near the priority for Ohio State as he is Purdue. If Dye was a must get prospect for Ohio State, their package for him dwarfs anything Purdue can dream of putting together. It's all about perspective.
This article sure seems like osu is trying to land him. https://www.on3.com/teams/ohio-stat...ng-inside-scoop-third-official-visit-weekend/

Three team race between osu, Tennessee, and Purdue. But hey, if osu doesn’t want him, that’s fine. Bring him to Lafayette and let him be good there.

• Haha
This article sure seems like osu is trying to land him. https://www.on3.com/teams/ohio-stat...ng-inside-scoop-third-official-visit-weekend/

Three team race between osu, Tennessee, and Purdue. But hey, if osu doesn’t want him, that’s fine. Bring him to Lafayette and let him be good there.
I didn't say Ohio State doesn't want him, I said he's not their highest priority target meaning they aren't going to offload the brinks truck for him. They already have an edge committed (ranked higher than Dye) and are sitting pretty with Justin Hill out of Cincinnati who is a consensus top 70 recruit.

Yes. As I mentioned. It is approaching 10m. It’s not there yet. It’s making significant strides though. Walter’s is bringing in a ton of money. He’s working it hard. Knows what it takes to win in CFB. And based on his recruiting, seems it is working. Obviously haven’t seen the product in the field yet.
Yes, “potentially approaching $10M”, which is probably around $8M now. Not good. $10M wouldn’t even be that good. Sorry.

Yes, “potentially approaching $10M”, which is probably around $8M now. Not good. $10M wouldn’t even be that good. Sorry.
Its pretty simple...

Now that Edey is gone, all the players will have an actual true NIL market value. If they stay anywhere near as good as they were with Edey...their collective NIL market values will skyrocket. They'll need a much bigger NIL capacity to keep all that together. No one is "taking less" than they're value because Purdue is somehow special.

Painter and Purdue can have good teams again, I'm sure they will. But I doubt they'll be as frequently good as it has seemed they have been lately.

"I can't anoint a role for someone out of thin air..." Painter quote on Catchings.

Interesting, you sure anointed a perimeter oriented role for TKR while recruiting him, and completely abandoned it when he arrived on campus.

He's lying. I'm sure he told him "all the things" like all the other coaches did. He's just not used to players calling him/Purdue out on realistic things like NBA prep and NIL values. Buckle up fatty, wait until Braden Smith's camp is in your office this next offseason demanding 3-4 times what he's already gotten. That's probably what his value will be if he plays as well has he has been without Edey.

"I can't anoint a role for someone out of thin air..." Painter quote on Catchings.

Interesting, you sure anointed a perimeter oriented role for TKR while recruiting him, and completely abandoned it when he arrived on campus.

He's lying. I'm sure he told him "all the things" like all the other coaches did. He's just not used to players calling him/Purdue out on realistic things like NBA prep and NIL values. Buckle up fatty, wait until Braden Smith's camp is in your office this next offseason demanding 3-4 times what he's already gotten. That's probably what his value will be if he plays as well has he has been without Edey.
Regardless of anything else throwing KC under the bus like that is a dick move.

What was his Purdue NIL vs his current?

Since NIL money is not officially published, but rumored, it is not possible to calculate a delta if one exists. But based upon his mother's comment, it seems that timeline, rather than NIL, is the driving factor in the change of venue.

The correct answer is he never had purdoo NIL money since he never made it there.

The stereotype remains undefeated.

I don't know what was "anointed", promised or whatever to TKR during his recruitment; nor do you unless you were present in the conversations, which I highly doubt.

Here is what I do know: he started every game on the team that was ranked #1 or in the Top 5 for almost the entire season and was an NCAA Finalist. That's pretty good. Given his status, if unhappy, he would not lack for portal suitors; he chose to stay. From outward appearances, he seems to enjoy his role at Purdue and from reports, that role is expanding. If he feels that he was deceived, it does not show or else he has a calling on the stage.

As for Catchings, he sought his release because he changed his expected timeline to the NBA. His mother said that, not Purdue. His now desired timeline and expectations were not compatible with the Purdue program's way of doing things. That conflict was likely to be detrimental to both Purdue's team and Catching's development. It would be better for both if he went somewhere more in-line with his expectations. He did so at BYU. I hope it works out for him.

It’s a bad look for sure. Statements like that don’t benefit anyone and I’m surprised Painter stooped to that level. That said, Catchings (and his posse) are very likely team chemistry killers. So Painter is correct, but he shouldn’t have said it.

Let me ask this. How many players have had NBA potential or NBA aspirations coming into Purdue that didn’t go? Did you have Edey as an NBA prospect when he was recruited?

Let’s look at Ivey. He was a 2 year player and probably isn’t starting because they had a terrible coach last year. So did Ivey come in as an NBA guy or did Purdue develop him into one? Dakota Mathias, did he have a clear NBA path when recruited? Or did Painter develop him into a guy that could get there? Not all guys are NBA caliber.
Who says Edey will stick? You kind of answered your own question. If you have a timeline and NBA talent…don’t bother going to Purdue. Question answered.

We do. He said it in his weird commit radio/tv thing. He said he, his uncle and Painter was pushing his skillset to the 3. Well…now he’s a small 5.
"Pushing your skillset to the 3" is very different from you'll only play the 3. To me, that is more along "... let's try the 3 and see how it works out." It remains that TKR has given no indication that he feels deceived i his recruitment. He could be gone if unhappy.

You seem to be more unhappy about his situation than he is.

"Pushing your skillset to the 3" is very different from you'll only play the 3. To me, that is more along "... let's try the 3 and see how it works out." It remains that TKR has given no indication that he feels deceived i his recruitment. He could be gone if unhappy.

You seem to be more unhappy about his situation than he is.
Well it wasn’t the plan. The plan was to make him a small forward positionless guy. Archie wanted him as a 4/5 stretch forward. That’s why he didn’t want to go to IU. Looks like Archie scouted him right.

Painter won't have to worry about that. Without Edey, Smith will come crashing down to earth, and even if his stats are higher (and how would anyone's not be with Edey not filling the stat sheet anymore), he won't be nearly as efficient with the added defensive attention.

Well it wasn’t the plan. The plan was to make him a small forward positionless guy. Archie wanted him as a 4/5 stretch forward. That’s why he didn’t want to go to IU. Looks like Archie scouted him right.
Anyone with half a brain knew he couldn't play three at this level. If Painter agreed with that nonsense he was basically being a basketball pimp and lying to the kid and his uncle.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
You are as obstinate as a 5 year old. It’s ok to simply say, “yeah, I got it wrong” instead of doubling down and making yourself look like more on an insufferable moron. People are wrong all the time, but good lord the energy it must take to keep trying to manipulate your words instead of just acknowledging what everyone with half a brain gathered from what you said in the post. At some point just stop responding to the post on a rivals board if you aren’t going to intelligently defend your position. We won’t be bothered by the choice, I promise!
"Best linebacker I seen since Joe Montana!"
"Joe Montana was a quarterback, you crazy asshole."
"I said Joe Montanya."

Correct. Purdue is all about Painter and promoting his success and increasing his earnings. He's become quite arrogant recently .. lying to TKR, over commiting by four, Creaning players, and now this. Is that the right way, Porky?

"Lying to TKR"? Says who? If TKR felt that he was deceived, wouldn't he be angry? Seek to transfer? He would have ample opportunity. But that is obviously not the case as evidenced by his presence.

Who got Creaned? Nobody that I know of. Also, this is humorous because this site was full of posters when Creaning was actually occurring and defending the practice or denying it was happening. Now it's bad? Talk about hypocrisy.

"Lying to TKR"? Says who? If TKR felt that he was deceived, wouldn't he be angry? Seek to transfer? He would have ample opportunity. But that is obviously not the case as evidenced by his presence.

Who got Creaned? Nobody that I know of. Also, this is humorous because this site was full of posters when Creaning was actually occurring and defending the practice or denying it was happening. Now it's bad? Talk about hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy? You mean all those things all of a sudden became ok overnight by the goat breeders club? Tomato/tomato.

Painter won't have to worry about that. Without Edey, Smith will come crashing down to earth, and even if his stats are higher (and how would anyone's not be with Edey not filling the stat sheet anymore), he won't be nearly as efficient with the added defensive attention.
I think you are totally wrong, without Edey Purdue will be up tempo and Smith won't have to wait on Edey to get down the floor! Purdue will spread the floor more and with the 5 or 6 players who are excellent 3% shooters. Painters has always been one of the best on offensive efficiency in the college game. Purdue will be a very good offensive team. Its tough when your team has only one 3 point threat, and a team like Purdue is loaded!

I think you are totally wrong, without Edey Purdue will be up tempo and Smith won't have to wait on Edey to get down the floor! Purdue will spread the floor more and with the 5 or 6 players who are excellent 3% shooters. Painters has always been one of the best on offensive efficiency in the college game. Purdue will be a very good offensive team. Its tough when your team has only one 3 point threat, and a team like Purdue is loaded!
Nice fan fiction.

How quickly you forget Loyer crumbling when he didn’t have the entire defense crashing down on Edey. There won’t be a double team in sight for TKR which means that your “5-6 shooters” will have hands in their faces all day. Who are the 5-6 shooters that can get their own look? Sure, Colvin and Heide’s numbers look good, but they took less than 3 a game combined. Those were mostly wide open because of Edey. I acknowledge that Painter will have a game plan, but I think this will be his least talented team in years. I foresee results much more like 19-21 seasons vs his better seasons. You clearly disagree, but I sure as hell like my odds. Again, give me the names of your shooters that can find their own looks…

Who got Creaned? Nobody that I know of. Also, this is humorous because this site was full of posters when Creaning was actually occurring and defending the practice or denying it was happening.

Prior to Catchings leaving, who was going to have their scholarship revoked? Using NIL to pay a player's tuition after pulling his scholarship seems a bit shady, doesn't it? Or, would it only be shady if big brother did it first?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT