ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

You can’t totally believe this. Remember when Collin Hartman told him he committed to IU? Painter said some things about him that wasn’t true. This is actually strange for a coach to say about a recruit regardless. It’s petty even if it’s true. I figured painter was above this.

You can’t totally believe this. Remember when Collin Hartman told him he committed to IU? Painter said some things about him that wasn’t true. This is actually strange for a coach to say about a recruit regardless. It’s petty even if it’s true. I figured painter was above this.
Yep, "he's moved on, and so have we, and I'm focused on coaching the guys who want to be here! My team is on the floor!"

Well if it was not true then I am sure that Catchings and his family would come out to dispute Painter’s claims.

Well if it was not true then I am sure that Catchings and his family would come out to dispute Painter’s claims.
Why would he give a 💩 what Painter says? He's out in UT learning how to soak now. There are thousands of gorgeous Mormon girls who would love to have a soak with Kanon. He's getting paid a lot more NIL $$ out there as well. Painter and pu are in his rearview mirror.

They made their statements when he committed to BYU. They don’t regularly interact with the media like Painter. They may move on and not bother to get in the mud with Pork Chop, who is clearly embarrassed he lost his top recruit.

Have already given their version of the story.

Catchings mom:

“Purdue is an exceptional program,” Tauja said. “Kanon’s goal when he committed to Purdue was just to play college basketball. His goal now is to play in the NBA. Purdue has been more of a traditional program, which I like. I played four years at Illinois. But I think Kanon as probably looking for a program that can support his timeline.”

Kanon wants to get to the NBA as fast as possible, doesn't see it happening with the way Painter runs his program.

Why would he give a 💩 what Painter says? He's out in UT learning how to soak now. There are thousands of gorgeous Mormon girls who would love to have a soak with Kanon. He's getting paid a lot more NIL $$ out there as well. Painter and pu are in his rearview mirror.
What was his Purdue NIL vs his current?

Catchings mom:

“Purdue is an exceptional program,” Tauja said. “Kanon’s goal when he committed to Purdue was just to play college basketball. His goal now is to play in the NBA. Purdue has been more of a traditional program, which I like. I played four years at Illinois. But I think Kanon as probably looking for a program that can support his timeline.”

Kanon wants to get to the NBA as fast as possible, doesn't see it happening with the way Painter runs his program.
Why couldn’t Painter put catchings in the league in a year or two?

Purdue has one active NBA player, a former top 5 pick who can't start for one of the worst teams in the league. Painter's track record in general of sending guys to the league, especially ones that stick, are very suboptimal the last two decades.
Let me ask this. How many players have had NBA potential or NBA aspirations coming into Purdue that didn’t go? Did you have Edey as an NBA prospect when he was recruited?

Let’s look at Ivey. He was a 2 year player and probably isn’t starting because they had a terrible coach last year. So did Ivey come in as an NBA guy or did Purdue develop him into one? Dakota Mathias, did he have a clear NBA path when recruited? Or did Painter develop him into a guy that could get there? Not all guys are NBA caliber.

Let me ask this. How many players have had NBA potential or NBA aspirations coming into Purdue that didn’t go? Did you have Edey as an NBA prospect when he was recruited?

Let’s look at Ivey. He was a 2 year player and probably isn’t starting because they had a terrible coach last year. So did Ivey come in as an NBA guy or did Purdue develop him into one? Dakota Mathias, did he have a clear NBA path when recruited? Or did Painter develop him into a guy that could get there? Not all guys are NBA caliber.
Nobody is saying that Painter can't put Catchings in the league. But Catchings is hell bent on getting to the NBA as fast as humanly possible and that doesn't necessarily jive with Painter's coaching philosophies. Catchings, clearly, isn't going to take that risk. There's only been a handful of Purdue players the last 20 years to leave school early for the NBA and to my knowledge, not a single one and done. There's obviously a rhyme and reason to it.

Nobody is saying that Painter can't put Catchings in the league. But Catchings is hell bent on getting to the NBA as fast as humanly possible and that doesn't necessarily jive with Painter's coaching philosophies. Catchings, clearly, isn't going to take that risk. There's only been a handful of Purdue players the last 20 years to leave school early for the NBA and to my knowledge, not a single one and done. There's obviously a rhyme and reason to it.
Yes. There is. Painter hasn’t really landed any one and done type players because he prefers 2-4 year players. Has nothing to do with Purdue not getting Kanon out 1 and done. If he’s wanting to be a one and done, I’m fine with missing on him tbh. I always felt his impact would be biggest in year two.

Catchings mom:

Ouch!

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Yes. There is. Painter hasn’t really landed any one and done type players because he prefers 2-4 year players. Has nothing to do with Purdue not getting Kanon out 1 and done. If he’s wanting to be a one and done, I’m fine with missing on him tbh. I always felt his impact would be biggest in year two.
He and his family clearly gave their thoughts on the situation. Ask them, not me.

Since NIL money is not officially published, but rumored, it is not possible to calculate a delta if one exists. But based upon his mother's comment, it seems that timeline, rather than NIL, is the driving factor in the change of venue.
Yup. I said that when it happened. Purdue has more NIL than people think. Though I was shocked to see Purdue is rumored to have put together a better NIL package than OSU for Marion Dye. Walter’s has worked the NIL and recruiting game hard. Didn’t think that could ever happen. Lol

I agree, it made Painter appear insecure, trying to save face with the Purdue fanbase.
If you think Painter needs to save face with the Purdue fanbase, you are very, very wrong. Published reports have indicated that the latest on-and-off was not the only one; there were others. Painter has learned painfully, according to his own words, that having players not bought-in to his philosophy hurts overall team performance and he doesn't want to repeat that. Catchings has obviously not bought-in.

Whether you agree with Painter or not, his results have been pretty good. The Purdue fanbase thinks so. There was no need for him to save face as the decision has great support.

I wish Catchings well. I hope that he reaches his timeline goal, I do not place a high probability on it, however.

All I heard was "we don't want top talent"

Dakota Mathias, did he have a clear NBA path when recruited?
OMG, Dakota Mathias had a cup of coffee in the NBA (with a large assist to Covid), and if the NBA site is correct, has played in 14 NBA games across 2 seasons (50ish career pts). It would be like listing guys who played during the NFL strike as your schools NFL vets. Technically it is factual, but (and it's a big BUT!)... But, I guess when you're a school that counts a mythical vote years after the fact as your NC...

Sure, I'll give Painter credit for developing Mathias, but a Chinese lab probably had more to do with his NBA "career". HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Last edited:
OMG, Dakota Mathias had a cup of coffee in the NBA (with a large assist to Covid), and if the NBA site is correct, has played in 14 NBA games across 2 seasons (50ish career pts). It would be like listing guys who played during the NFL strike as your schools NFL vets. Technically it is factual, but (and it's a big BUT!)... But, I guess when you're a school that counts a mythical vote years after the fact as your NC...

Sure, I'll give Painter credit for developing Mathias, but a Chinese lab probably has more to do with his NBA career. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You missed the entire point of my post….it had nothing to do with Mathias playing 14 games in the NBA or even what his NBA career looked like.

Heck, you typed a lot of words and didn’t even stay on topic with what I was talking about. Want to try again? Or do you want to stick with ignoring what the post was about to use one sentence to change the topic of the discussion?

Yup. I said that when it happened. Purdue has more NIL than people think. Though I was shocked to see Purdue is rumored to have put together a better NIL package than OSU for Marion Dye. Walter’s has worked the NIL and recruiting game hard. Didn’t think that could ever happen. Lol
The numbers thrown around for PU’s collective aren’t very good. Sorry.

Interesting way to phrase that. Because he consistently has talent.
You said."Painter doesn't want 1 and done players,he prefers 2-4 year guys"....after someone said Purdue hasn't had any 1 and done kids. So my question is..why would anyone not want the most talented players? Or,is that an excuse because pu can't get any 1 and done recruits? Seems likely it's not because pu doesn't want them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT