ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

Sure. But again, who has played for him that had NBA athleticism? It's easy to say he can't develop NBA players, but no one will tell me how many NBA caliber players he has coached. Like, you going to sit here and tell me Sasha was an NBA player? Or PJ Thompson? No offense to them. They aren't big or athletic enough. Agreed?
Summary

PUke (PU): don’t have any talent, despite consistently competing for B10 titles in recent years, it’s a program ready to be peacocked. Oh, and NIL is low, painter can’t develop nba talent. All he can do is win the big ten.

pUKe (UK). Plenty of talent and NIL, but Calipari will underachieve.

Oh, and for IU (the good guys): Elite NIL money,” sleeping giant”, now assembling elite talent and depth for our awakening. Plus, unlike UK and PU, we have a coach.

Can we move on now? Next topic please (VBG).

Sure. But again, who has played for him that had NBA athleticism? It's easy to say he can't develop NBA players, but no one will tell me how many NBA caliber players he has coached. Like, you going to sit here and tell me Sasha was an NBA player? Or PJ Thompson? No offense to them. They aren't big or athletic enough. Agreed?
Well that is probably why he keeps losing to quick athletic teams.
He has had plenty of guys he could have developed into pros.
Furst is an example of someone who has the tools.
Did you think 3 star OG Anonoby would be a first rounder and really good pro?

Lol who's fault is that?
I'll take the chicken and the egg, Alex. PU as a program and its coaches simply have a ceiling. Poor bastards like BoilerN think Charlie Brown is going to finally kick the ball. Instead, they historically s*** the bed against #16 seeds.

What an argument to make.

"Our coach could put guys in the league if he recruited guys who had NBA level talent to begin with. But he doesn't, so that can't be used to question his player development credentials."

Uh? Genetics? Idk who to blame for various levels of athleticism I guess.
Talking about Painter dipsh*t. Does he not recruit his personnel?

Why do you think (as you put it) recruits with elite NBA athleticism don't want to go to Purdue? Because his track record of putting guys in the NBA.......STINKS.

"Our coach could put guys in the league if he recruited guys who had NBA level talent to begin with. But he doesn't, so that can't be used to question his player development credentials."
But, to be fair player development doesn’t always mean developing a player for the NBA. I’ve seen plenty of IU players that were developed to be much, much better college players that never played in the pros.

Indiana has put some talented players in the NBA in the last 10 years, players that have had solid NBA careers and never won a thing in college. And in that glorious year of 1987 IU won their last title, but did any of those players make a mark in the NBA ?

Obviously you can be a program like Duke or KU and both win at the highest level and produce tons of NBA talent. You can be a program like PU that doesn’t win at the highest level and doesn’t produce very much NBA talent either.

But, I used to take quite a bit of joy in seeing Coach Knight develop players, and develop teams and then go out a whip a team full of future NBA all stars.

Reactions: BoilerN
But, to be fair player development doesn’t always mean developing a player for the NBA. I’ve seen plenty of IU players that were developed to be much, much better college players that never played in the pros.

Indiana has put some talented players in the NBA in the last 10 years, players that solid NBA careers and never won a thing in college. And in that glorious year of 1987 IU won their last title, but did any of those players make a mark in the NBA ?

Obviously you can be a program like Duke or KU and both win at the highest level and produce tons of NBA talent. You can be a program like PU that doesn’t win at the highest level and doesn’t produce very much NBA talent either.

But, I used to take quite a bit of joy in seeing Coach Knight develop players, and develop teams and then go out a whip a team full of future NBA all stars.
Agreed, but the argument being made is flat out silly. It's an indictment on recruiting more than anything else and has become a self fulfilling prophecy. They can't get NBA talent, because they don't don't recruit NBA talent. They can't recruit NBA talent, because they don't put guys in the NBA.

Like a dog chasing it's tail.

Well that is probably why he keeps losing to quick athletic teams.
He has had plenty of guys he could have developed into pros.
Furst is an example of someone who has the tools.
Did you think 3 star OG Anonoby would be a first rounder and really good pro?
Who are the names. You gave 1, who's yet to be an upperclassmen. But yes, I think that's why they struggle with athleticism. So does Painter. It's why he's trying to get more athletic.

Not sure you're point on OG. He had NBA athleticism and was developed into a pro. He fits my point.

Who said that?

Talking about Painter dipsh*t. Does he not recruit his personnel?

Why do you think (as you put it) recruits with elite NBA athleticism don't want to go to Purdue? Because his track record of putting guys in the NBA.......STINKS.
Because he recruits players to his system and certain personalities. If NBA caliber athletes don't want to play for him, why did Carsen, Ivey, Biggie, Trevion, Furst (guy above mentioned him, so I will), Catchings, Colvin, Gicarri Harris (if he commits), etc come to Purdue. Ivey just went 5. Am I missing something?

Indiana has put some talented players in the NBA in the last 10 years, players that have had solid NBA careers and never won a thing in college. And in that glorious year of 1987 IU won their last title, but did any of those players make a mark in the NBA ?

This. Thank you for actually trying to understand what I'm saying!

Agreed, but the argument being made is flat out silly. It's an indictment on recruiting more than anything else and has become a self fulfilling prophecy. They can't get NBA talent, because they don't don't recruit NBA talent. They can't recruit NBA talent, because they don't put guys in the NBA.

Purdue just had a guy go 5th. They have a big man that is seemingly a fringe 1st rounder right now. That you all said wouldn't be drafted. They have some NBA caliber athletes coming up (quit confusing the word athlete and talent when discussing recruiting). So do they want to play for Painter and be developed into NBA players or is Purdue putting some good NIL packages together to get them to come?

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve always viewed the Boilers as a system program that recruits players that work in that system. It seems ages ok, but there was a video posted here of Painter speaking before an IU game, and he was talking about growing up an IU fan, a Knight fan. After that part he started talking recruiting, I wish I could link the transcript of what he said.

I can’t, so I’ll paraphrase (this came out before being their recent flops , maybe the year following the elite eight, so they were flying much higher):

And I paraphrase: “we had to change the way we were recruiting. We decided it was paramount that the player be a great basketball player, not so much a great athlete. We needed players that did all of the little things, were smart, played to their strengths and within the system”. He mentioned a former PU player as an example, but I have way too many cobwebs in my cranium to have room for the name of some slow unathletic mid sized player in PUke gold and black that painter liked .

Bottom line, that is who they are, and we are beating the horse with a sledgehammer if we expect them to look like Arizona or U-Conn or whoever.

Edited to clean up all kinds of sloppiness

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve always viewed the Boilers as a system program that recruits players that work in that system. It seems ages ok, but there was a video posted here of Painter speaking before an IU game, and he was talking about growing up an IU fan, a Knight fan. After that part he started talking recruiting, I wish I could link the transcript of what he said.

I can’t, so I’ll paraphrase (this came out before being their recent flops , maybe the year following the elite eight, so they were flying much higher):

And I paraphrase: “we had to change the way we were recruiting. We decided it was paramount that the player be a great basketball player, not so much a great athlete. We needed players that did all of the little things, were smart, played to their strengths and within the system”. He mentioned a former PU player as an example, but I have way too many cobwebs in my cranium to have room for the name of some slow unathletic mid sized player in PUke gold and black that painter liked .

Bottom line, that is who they are, and we are beating the horse with a sledgehammer if we expect them to look like Arizona or U-Conn or whoever.

Edited to clean up all kinds of sloppiness
To add to that, in 2014ish when Purdue had been bad, he saw Knight and Knight said something along the lines of "you got away from who we are as coaches." Biggest difference between then and now is the game has changed so much. Way more athletes and overall talent across the board.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Who are the names. You gave 1, who's yet to be an upperclassmen. But yes, I think that's why they struggle with athleticism. So does Painter. It's why he's trying to get more athletic.

Not sure your point on OG. He had NBA athleticism and was developed into a pro. He fits my point.
OG does not fit your point. OG was not an expected nba player and he came to IU and turned into one. Painter doesn’t send even his high ranked kids to the league.

Other names: Vince Edwards, Terone Johnson, Kauffman-Renn, Kendall Stephens, Nojel Eastern, Hammond (under achieved),

Because he recruits players to his system and certain personalities. If NBA caliber athletes don't want to play for him, why did Carsen, Ivey, Biggie, Trevion, Furst (guy above mentioned him, so I will), Catchings, Colvin, Gicarri Harris (if he commits), etc come to Purdue. Ivey just went 5. Am I missing something?
There’s not a single NBA mainstay on that list lol. Sure Ivey is posed to get there assuming he stays healthy, but two guys in 20 years that have played 82+ NBA games is pathetic.

And why they’ve chronically underachieved in March for the last half century.

OG does not fit your point. OG was not an expected nba player and he came to IU and turned into one. Painter doesn’t send even his high ranked kids to the league.

Other names: Vince Edwards, Terone Johnson, Kauffman-Renn, Kendall Stephens, Nojel Eastern, Hammond (under achieved),
He does. He was super athletic. That was my whole point. Players who are athletic enough to make it. Vince wasn't athletic enough for the position he played imo. To slow. Terone hit a wall at Purdue. Weird years. Had a chance. Kaufman-Renn just finished his freshman year???? Kendall transferred out after a horrible shooting year. Nojel is way to limited offensively and his mom hurt his development. I thought he had a real chance tbh. Hammons? He played for the heat a bit i think. To lazy. Each of those guys have/had enough athleticism, but couldn't put it together. Some of that might be coaching, some of that might be player. Thousand players a year with the athleticism, but can't put it together.

Look at TJD. Has the athleticism to be a top 10 pick. Way to limited. And he had an NBA coach last two years.

There’s not a single NBA mainstay on that list lol. Sure Ivey is posed to get there assuming he stays healthy, but two guys in 20 years that have played 82+ NBA games is pathetic.
Carsen was to short. Trevion, biggie were to limited athletically. The rest have yet to play in college, so I'd hope they aren't mainstays.... they have the athleticism though. And Furst, whose still developing.

He does. He was super athletic. That was my whole point. Players who are athletic enough to make it. Vince wasn't athletic enough for the position he played imo. To slow. Terone hit a wall at Purdue. Weird years. Had a chance. Kaufman-Renn just finished his freshman year???? Kendall transferred out after a horrible shooting year. Nojel is way to limited offensively and his mom hurt his development. I thought he had a real chance tbh. Hammons? He played for the heat a bit i think. To lazy. Each of those guys have/had enough athleticism, but couldn't put it together. Some of that might be coaching, some of that might be player. Thousand players a year with the athleticism, but can't put it together.

Look at TJD. Has the athleticism to be a top 10 pick. Way to limited. And he had an NBA coach last two years.
I'm sure Painter will figure it out. Gotta have faith. He just needs more time. He needs 20 more years. He's still pretty young. The mid-major programs like FDU had advantages that PU simply doesn't have. He just has to recruit better, that's all: more "athletic" players are the key. RMK talked to Painter before, so he has that going for him.

I'm sure Painter will figure it out. Gotta have faith. He just needs more time. He needs 20 more years. He's still pretty young. The mid-major programs like FDU had advantages that PU simply doesn't have. He just has to recruit better, that's all: more "athletic" players are the key.
So athleticism isn't needed? If Painter wasn't changing, I'd be more worried. He's consistently changed and adapted in his career though. And he's won a shit ton of games. He will be fine. I'll take the word of hundreds of coaches at all levels talking about Painter over yours.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
So athleticism isn't needed? If Painter wasn't changing, I'd be more worried. He's consistently changed and adapted in his career though. And he's won a shit ton of games. He will be fine. I'll take the word of hundreds of coaches at all levels talking about Painter over yours.
Painter will be fine. He'll get those mid-majors figured out, you'll see: just needs more time. He has waited 20 years into his career to recruit "athletic" players, but he got that figured out in time and is making the adjustment. Painter is adapting every year, that is why they call him the chameleon. To those who say playing 1950's Frankenball is antiquated, creates more disadvantages than advantages, and isn't suited to beat a #16 seed, I'd say just the opposite. Other coaches, including RMK, have talked to Painter and think he's a swell dude: that's all I need to hear.

Carsen was to short. Trevion, biggie were to limited athletically. The rest have yet to play in college, so I'd hope they aren't mainstays.... they have the athleticism though. And Furst, whose still developing.
So your argument is that because Painter doesn’t recruit “athletes” he doesn’t have a good track record of putting guys in the NBA?

What a crock load of shit.

Reactions: BigMobe
And Furst
add him to my list, which I noticed you conveniently ignored. But, everyone one of those guys at some point had Boilers coming over here and crowing about their NBA future. And several I think had the athleticism, but were lacking other parts of their game. Kaufman has been especially interesting. Remember when he went to PU so he could play on the wing and develop his NBA potential as a 3 playing alongside Edey and Furst, and not get stuck in the post like TJD? Ha, yeah, me too!

And, to dispel another of your statements, I (and a few others here) have always said I think Edey will get drafted and have an NBA career. My prediction has been consistent for most of the last year: JHS first half of the first round, TJD 2nd half of first round, and Edey 2nd half or 2nd round.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Sweep 🧹

He wins regular season games. He doesn’t put guys in the league or win on national stage. He is what he is….Gene Keady

So your argument is that because Painter doesn’t recruit “athletes” he doesn’t have a good track record of putting guys in the NBA?

What a crock load of shit.
Not every player is NBA caliber, but can be very good in college.

add him to my list, which I noticed you conveniently ignored. But, everyone one of those guys at some point had Boilers coming over here and crowing about their NBA future. And several I think had the athleticism, but were lacking other parts of their game. Kaufman has been especially interesting. Remember when he went to PU so he could play on the wing and develop his NBA potential as a 3 playing alongside Edey and Furst, and not get stuck in the post like TJD? Ha, yeah, me too!

And, to dispel another of your statements, I (and a few others here) have always said I think Edey will get drafted and have an NBA career. My prediction has been consistent for most of the last year: JHS first half of the first round, TJD 2nd half of first round, and Edey 2nd half or 2nd round.
Kaufman is still developing. We will see where he ends up when all is said and done.

Wow! Really?! If he were 4 inches taller?!

In the long list of stupid $hit you’ve posted here, this may be the dumbest.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts it would be Christmas all year long. Ffs
So genetics, speed, size, athleticism have little to do with getting to the NBA?

Kaufman is still developing. We will see where he ends up when all is said and done.
He looks slow. He’s the definition of tweener. Not physical/skilled enough to guard the 3 or 5. He looks like a classic 4 that can shoot. I’ve seen many say he’s a 5 but boy has he got a lot of work to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT