ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

You don't know at all what the discussions were b/t Matt and Kanon over the past few years. We get it, you like Painter, so you made up some fan fiction where Matt handled things perfectly.
I do know because Matt doesn’t promise stuff to recruits. He’s said that publicly. He’s talked exactly what he says. These aren’t my words, his words. It’s well known he tells recruits you will play if you earn it, regardless of “stars”. Edey has also said the same.

Where I assume is Kanon seems to be a super emotional player and has been hot and cold on his commitment a few times. This is based on what has been reported by reporters and his consistent techs. He got cold right before coming and Painter said something like I’m done fighting this at the risk of hurting my culture. That’s an assumption. The top is a known.

Losing Kanon sucks, but it doesn’t make or break Purdue.

He said “as we approach potentially being an 8 figure collective”. Which makes sense with the numbers Walter’s is rumored to have had access to in order to build his team.
Your claim here was:

"Where do you see Purdue doesn’t have a lot of NIL? Their collective is approaching 10 mil."

So your claim was false.

Care to try again? Any more links to other BS claims of yours?

I do know because Matt doesn’t promise stuff to recruits. He’s said that publicly. He’s talked exactly what he says. These aren’t my words, his words. It’s well known he tells recruits you will play if you earn it, regardless of “stars”. Edey has also said the same.

Where I assume is Kanon seems to be a super emotional player and has been hot and cold on his commitment a few times. This is based on what has been reported by reporters and his consistent techs. He got cold right before coming and Painter said something like I’m done fighting this at the risk of hurting my culture. That’s an assumption. The top is a known.

Losing Kanon sucks, but it doesn’t make or break Purdue.
Don’t know if the issue was PT.

Reactions: jet812
Don’t know if the issue was PT.
I am basing it off of all the Purdue writers and reporters and rumors. Only place I’ve seen NIL discussed is here… and you guys like to think Purdue has no NIL, which makes sense. You are welcome to think what you want. If NIL was the issue, why’d it take 2 years…

Reactions: tbird2017
Your claim here was:

"Where do you see Purdue doesn’t have a lot of NIL? Their collective is approaching 10 mil."

So your claim was false.

Care to try again? Any more links to other BS claims of yours?
Sorry. “as we approach potentially being an 8 figure collective” which I read as … it is approaching 10 mil

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I am basing it off of all the Purdue writers and reporters and rumors. Only place I’ve seen NIL discussed is here… and you guys like to think Purdue has no NIL, which makes sense. You are welcome to think what you want. If NIL was the issue, why’d it take 2 years…
Don’t know if it’s NIL either. Why would PT take so long to be an issue?

We do know it was a very last second decommit, which isn’t good, but not the end of the world.

The Sleepers guys I think have reported that Painter did have a meeting or discussion with Catchings, but they also reported he was on campus and then I heard a writer or blogger say he never actually made it to campus, so there seems to be a lot of conjecture. What I am confident of is that none of them were in the room and I don't think any of them have talked with Catchings or his camp, so anything being reported is going to paint Paint/PU in the most favorable light, as you are attempting to do also. In the end, 1) it doesn't really matter, and 2) it's a blow to PU, and a pretty big one no matter how you slice it.

The Sleepers guys I think have reported that Painter did have a meeting or discussion with Catchings, but they also reported he was on campus and then I heard a writer or blogger say he never actually made it to campus, so there seems to be a lot of conjecture. What I am confident of is that none of them were in the room and I don't think any of them have talked with Catchings or his camp, so anything being reported is going to paint Paint/PU in the most favorable light, as you are attempting to do also. In the end, 1) it doesn't really matter, and 2) it's a blow to PU, and a pretty big one no matter how you slice it.
Regardless of how it went down, Painter/Purdue are more than willing to control the narrative that they weren't going to give in to demands. That's the easiest way to downplay losing a top 40 recruit from your own backyard hours prior to him reporting to campus. Brian Neubert who is a mouthpiece for Purdue has echoed this tirelessly for the last 72 some hours.

Personally I find it hard to believe that this was the first time Catching approached Painter about playing time and find it even harder to believe that this would have been the first time Catchings was told by Painter that he doesn't guarantee playing time or whatever the narrative they are drumming up. I think it's more than likely that his OTE coach who was recently hired by BYU has been in his ear and that prompted his decommittment.

Last edited:
Regardless of how it went down, Painter/Purdue are more than willing to control the narrative that they weren't going to give in to demands. That's the easiest way to downplay losing a top 40 recruit from your own backyard hours prior to him reporting to campus. Brian Neubert who is a mouthpiece for Purdue has echoed this tirelessly for the last 72 some hours.

Personally I find it hard to believe that this was the first time Catching approached Painter about playing time and find it even harder to believe that this would have been the first time Catchings was told by Painter that ge doesn't guarantee playing time or whatever the narrative they are drumming up. I think it's more than likely that his OTE coach who was recently hired by BYU has been in his ear and that prompted his decommittment.
Stop making sense..., or if you're a Talking Heads fan: Stop Making Sense!

Personally I find it hard to believe that this was the first time Catching approached Painter about playing time and find it even harder to believe that this would have been the first time Catchings was told by Painter that ge doesn't guarantee playing time or whatever the narrative they are drumming up. I think it's more than likely that his OTE coach who was recently hired by BYU has been in his ear and that prompted his decommittment.
This is the MOST likely reason and scenario.

Losing Catchings hurts. No matter how its spun, no matter what the truth of the matter is, it hurts their potential. They're transitioning to life after Edey. They need as much talent, and versatile talent, as possible. Now they have one less guy capable of making a difference. And when you're going to rely on, and play a lot, guys like Loyer and maybe even Furst...taking away potential difference making talent like Catchings...it hurts, a lot.

Personally I find it hard to believe that this was the first time Catching approached Painter about playing time and find it even harder to believe that this would have been the first time Catchings was told by Painter that he doesn't guarantee playing time or whatever the narrative they are drumming up. I think it's more than likely that his OTE coach who was recently hired by BYU has been in his ear and that prompted his decommittment.
Bottom line is he did not want to go to Purdue. Most accepted that a year ago. Was it a coincidence he de committed after he turned 18?

This is the MOST likely reason and scenario.

Losing Catchings hurts. No matter how its spun, no matter what the truth of the matter is, it hurts their potential. They're transitioning to life after Edey. They need as much talent, and versatile talent, as possible. Now they have one less guy capable of making a difference. And when you're going to rely on, and play a lot, guys like Loyer and maybe even Furst...taking away potential difference making talent like Catchings...it hurts, a lot.
Indubitably!

Don’t know if it’s NIL either. Why would PT take so long to be an issue?

We do know it was a very last second decommit, which isn’t good, but not the end of the world.
Correct. It’s not good, but like I’ve always said, I was more excited for year 2 Catchings. Is what it is. Still have Heide.

• Haha

I find it hard to believe as well. And your guy Neubert has confirmed this wasn’t the first time, but there have been multiple instances. I believe Neubert said it’s been hot and cold throughout recruitment and this has happened 3 to 4 times, but then he ends up sticking around. Just want to make sure everything Brian has said is mentioned

Really? You think they were gonna start paying him NIL $$ while he was still in HS? It took 2 years for him to get on campus, and the rumor from the Catchings camp is that y'all didn't follow through on your NIL promise after he was committed for 2 years.

Yes. It does hurt purdues bench for this next season. I agree.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Really? You think they were gonna start paying him NIL $$ while he was still in HS? It took 2 years for him to get on campus, and the rumor from the Catchings camp is that y'all didn't follow through on your NIL promise after he was committed for 2 years.
What are you talking about paying him in high school???

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
What are you talking about paying him in high school???
You said "Why did it take 2 years?" Y'all couldn't fail to fulfill his NIL promises till he was there, hence the 2 years. This is a rumor obviously, but the Catchings camp is saying that NIL promises were not kept, and that prompted the decommit. Personally I totally think NIL means more than guaranteed playing time. Until we know the truth, I'm way more inclined to believe that Catchings was promised money that he didn't get, or Painter couldn't afford to match BYU's offer. Playing time as the reason is a joke IMO. He knows he's good enough to play on a middle of the road BT squad like pu, but he's 18 and wants to get paid. That's my hot take

You said "Why did it take 2 years?" Y'all couldn't fail to fulfill his NIL promises till he was there, hence the 2 years. This is a rumor obviously, but the Catchings camp is saying that NIL promises were not kept, and that prompted the decommit. Personally I totally think NIL means more than guaranteed playing time. Until we know the truth, I'm way more inclined to believe that Catchings was promised money that he didn't get, or Painter couldn't afford to match BYU's offer. Playing time as the reason is a joke IMO. He knows he's good enough to play on a middle of the road BT squad like pu, but he's 18 and wants to get paid. That's my hot take
I just don’t buy the NIL guarantees from Painter. I have never heard of him making guarantees. He tells player what comparable players made and what they can expect to make, but doesn’t give them dollar amounts. Maybe Catchings wanted a dollar amount, idk. If BYU made an offer, hope they get caught cheating.

Yes. He can play at a middling big ten school. Purdue isn’t that and his path to start wasn’t obvious. In fact, I’ve argued it’s unlikely for a year. Stand by it. Maybe by January he’d start, but that was before Heide and Colvin stepped up late. Like mentioned here, we will never know. Can only say what I’m being told by trusted people. Doesn’t really cost Purdue many wins this year because they still have a solid team and solid class. It will hurt more next year when trying to make a final 4 run again.

I just don’t buy the NIL guarantees from Painter. I have never heard of him making guarantees. He tells player what comparable players made and what they can expect to make, but doesn’t give them dollar amounts. Maybe Catchings wanted a dollar amount, idk. If BYU made an offer, hope they get caught cheating.

Yes. He can play at a middling big ten school. Purdue isn’t that and his path to start wasn’t obvious. In fact, I’ve argued it’s unlikely for a year. Stand by it. Maybe by January he’d start, but that was before Heide and Colvin stepped up late. Like mentioned here, we will never know. Can only say what I’m being told by trusted people. Doesn’t really cost Purdue many wins this year because they still have a solid team and solid class. It will hurt more next year when trying to make a final 4 run again.
What's different this year versus next year?

Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Heide, TKR, Jacobsen, Benter, BigDog2...they'd all be on both teams. Why would Catchings have had a better chance to help next years team, with seemingly everyone likely to return again?

He's probably already a safer bet to be a guy that can come in to a game and make some shots/score some points, than most of the others on that list.

He's the level of guy Purdue needs to get more of... I'd say its iffy, at best, that Smith and Loyer can lead an Edey-Less team to anything close to a Final Four. They need as much talent and help as possible.

Maybe by January he’d start, but that was before Heide and Colvin stepped up late.
You keep saying this, what is the basis for this? Outside a nice put-back dunk in a blowout game, what did Heide or Colvin do down the stretch that warrants Purdue fans shrugging off the loss of a top 40 recruit? The only thing you can convincedly say about Catching decommitting is that minute allocations become a lot more clearer. The only problem with that is now Heide and Colvin are guaranteed to play 25-30 mpg without any kind of plan B. If guys like Cox, Benter, or Harris are having to play 20+ mpg because Heide and/or Colvin aren't consistently playing at a high level....that's a problem.

What's different this year versus next year?

Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Heide, TKR, Jacobsen, Benter, BigDog2...they'd all be on both teams. Why would Catchings have had a better chance to help next years team, with seemingly everyone likely to return again?

He's probably already a safer bet to be a guy that can come in to a game and make some shots/score some points, than most of the others on that list.

He's the level of guy Purdue needs to get more of... I'd say its iffy, at best, that Smith and Loyer can lead an Edey-Less team to anything close to a Final Four. They need as much talent and help as possible.
My opinion. He’s a more raw player than a lot of the guys you listed, with no experience. But he’d also have a higher ceiling. Players don’t develop at the same rate. His development curve would have been higher that say Loyer. He’d also have to pass Heide and Colvin as a freshman. Don’t think that would happen right away.

• Wow
You keep saying this, what is the basis for this? Outside a nice put-back dunk in a blowout game, what did Heide or Colvin do down the stretch that warrants Purdue fans shrugging off the loss of a top 40 recruit? The only thing you can convincedly say about Catching decommitting is that minute allocations become a lot more clearer. The only problem with that is now Heide and Colvin are guaranteed to play 25-30 mpg without any kind of plan B. If guys like Cox, Benter, or Harris are having to play 20+ mpg because Heide and/or Colvin aren't consistently playing at a high level....that's a problem.
Is there reason to think Colvin and Heide won’t continue to develop? Both have similar level of length and the same level athleticism as Catchings, or close to it, and have more experience. They went from minimal minutes to major bench contributors on a final 4 run. They developed a ton last year. If a put back dunk is the only good thing you saw from them…. Not sure what to say.

My opinion. He’s a more raw player than a lot of the guys you listed, with no experience. But he’d also have a higher ceiling. Players don’t develop at the same rate. His development curve would have been higher that say Loyer. He’d also have to pass Heide and Colvin as a freshman. Don’t think that would happen right away.
Catchings is a lot more skilled and advanced than anybody else you have coming in. He might not be on the same plane physically as Colcin or Heide but he is every bit as skilled as them, experience or no experience. C'mon man.

Is there reason to think Colvin and Heide won’t continue to develop? They went from minimal minutes to major bench contributors on a final 4 run. They developed a ton last year. If a put back dunk is the only good thing you saw from them…. Not sure what to say.
Of course there's no reason to think they won't continue to develop, but there's a huge gap between being a minor role player one year to becoming a high level B10 starter the next year. The way it's set up, Painter is essentially banking on that.

Catchings is a lot more skilled and advanced than anybody else you have coming in. He might not be on the same plane physically as Colcin or Heide but he is every bit as skilled as them, experience or no experience. C'mon man.
Sure. I haven’t denied that. But they have more experience. If everything is the same and someone has more experience, I’d choose the same with experience. Thanks for confirming why I’d start Heide and Colvin.

Of course there's no reason to think they won't continue to develop, but there's a huge gap between being a minor role player one year to becoming a high level B10 starter the next year. The way it's set up, Painter is essentially banking on that.
There is another huge gap in being a true freshman and being a high level big ten starter.

But yes, painter is banking on his development. I think he’s earned the trust in his ability to develop players and a team.

Sure. I haven’t denied that. But they have more experience. If everything is the same and someone has more experience, I’d choose the same with experience. Thanks for confirming why I’d start Heide and Colvin.
That's fine if you prefer to start Heide or Colvin off the bat, in fact that's what I would have guessed had Catchings stayed committed. But he's every bit as talented as those two and would have played and played a ton. That's ~25 less mpg that are no longer occupied by a very talented player.

Are you seriously saying that you believe that in 2024, Painter and the pu NIL collective, do not guarantee NIL payouts to their players? If that is true then, WOW! In what job, and don't mistake that playing college bbal isn't a job, do people show up to work and NOT know what they are getting paid???

Final 4 run?!?! Next year?!?! 🤣 7th seed in the BTT is likely your ceiling. That's not terrible and pu will probably make the NCAA tourney, but to think the roster you have returning would keep a top 40 ranked player from getting considerable PT is ridiculous. He would've gotten minutes on last year's team. Now that you have a considerably worse roster without the 2 time NPOY, PT wouldn't have been an issue. If you really believe that Painter didn't guarantee the NIL $$, that we all know Catchings was told he was gonna get paid, then that is way more likely the reason he left. You are adding credibility to that rumor with your statements that Painter and pu don't guarantee NIL $$.

I'd contend he's WAY more ready for B10 play than any of the other incoming freshmen. OTE is likely a better prep than Brownstown Central.

And while I'm sure I didn't follow it as closely as you...nothing I saw out of Colvin or Heide screamed that they were poised for some sort of break through year this next year. Where as with Catchings, its not too hard to envision him becoming a Mgbako level shooter/scorer, while being less "raw" in other areas of his game than Mack was.

I have a feeling Purdue goes back to being one of the more poor perimeter teams in the conference this next year. Jones was pretty big for them this past year. Gillis's outside shooting was huge, in big moments. We know what Loyer and Smith end up looking like when teams lock in to them, as they will every single game this year instead of sporadically. Colvin has never led a good basketball team to any level of success. Heide can jump...cool. Its absurd to think you didn't need Catchings this year...it just is.

That's fine if you prefer to start Heide or Colvin off the bat, in fact that's what I would have guessed had Catchings stayed committed. But he's every bit as talented as those two and would have played and played a ton. That's ~25 less mpg that are no longer occupied by a very talented player.
Sure. They are for sure going to have to find probably 20-25 minutes and 10-12 points. He’d have fit the offense well. Oh well. Purdue should still be really good.

• Haha
Are you seriously saying that you believe that in 2024, Painter and the pu NIL collective, do not guarantee NIL payouts to their players? If that is true then, WOW! In what job, and don't mistake that playing college bbal isn't a job, do people show up to work and NOT know what they are getting paid???

Final 4 run?!?! Next year?!?! 🤣 7th seed in the BTT is likely your ceiling. That's not terrible and pu will probably make the NCAA tourney, but to think the roster you have returning would keep a top 40 ranked player from getting considerable PT is ridiculous. He would've gotten minutes on last year's team. Now that you have a considerably worse roster without the 2 time NPOY, PT wouldn't have been an issue. If you really believe that Painter didn't guarantee the NIL $$, that we all know Catchings was told he was gonna get paid, then that is way more likely the reason he left. You are adding credibility to that rumor with your statements that Painter and pu don't guarantee NIL $$.
No. It is against the rules to promise a specific dollar amount to players in recruiting.

And no. I didn’t say final 4 next year. Top 4 in big ten and competing for it. Big ten is wide open and every team has major question marks. Because of that, Purdue is top 4 in my preseason because Paint is coach.

• Haha
so hilarious to read on here your (and other PU types) assessment of Catchings after the earlier rumors of his departure proved false, and now that he has decommitted. Sleepers guys keep saying what they heard is that he was likely the best HS player that ever committed to Painter. Not highest rated, but best that ever committed to Painter. You can try and minimize it all you want, but based off that, I'd think at worst you'd project him right into the mix of minutes with Heide and Colvin, regardless of who was starting and coming off the bench. Maybe those 3 might also siphon off some minutes from Loyer as well, but I think he was in line for similar minutes as Heide and Colvin. I saw a lot of promise in Heide, not nearly as much as Colvin. In fact, I felt like he was playing a bit less in the later tourney games I saw than he had been to end the season. Personally, I thought Heide would start along with Catchings and they'd rotate across those 2 spots with Colvin coming off the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT