ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

I'd contend he's WAY more ready for B10 play than any of the other incoming freshmen. OTE is likely a better prep than Brownstown Central.

And while I'm sure I didn't follow it as closely as you...nothing I saw out of Colvin or Heide screamed that they were poised for some sort of break through year this next year. Where as with Catchings, its not too hard to envision him becoming a Mgbako level shooter/scorer, while being less "raw" in other areas of his game than Mack was.

I have a feeling Purdue goes back to being one of the more poor perimeter teams in the conference this next year. Jones was pretty big for them this past year. Gillis's outside shooting was huge, in big moments. We know what Loyer and Smith end up looking like when teams lock in to them, as they will every single game this year instead of sporadically. Colvin has never led a good basketball team to any level of success. Heide can jump...cool. Its absurd to think you didn't need Catchings this year...it just is.
So you acknowledge Smith and Loyer are good. Heide and Colvin are athletic, long, and can shoot. You going to ignore that? Harris is coming in and looks really good. Same with Jacobson. Cox and Burgess look like they could be good, but how early? Same with Benter. I separate him because while he went to btown, he still played a tough schedule and consistently played better vs bigger schools and in tournaments. Hard to know what the freshman will be until they show up. They’ve reached the point where rankings do not mean squat.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
So you acknowledge Smith and Loyer are good. Heide and Colvin are athletic, long, and can shoot. You going to ignore that? Harris is coming in and looks really good. Same with Jacobson. Cox and Burgess look like they could be good, but how early? Same with Benter. I separate him because while he went to btown, he still played a tough schedule and consistently played better vs bigger schools and in tournaments. Hard to know what the freshman will be until they show up. They’ve reached the point where rankings do not mean squat.
Smith is good. I've taken more than a little friendly fire here for my stance on him. But having said that, I'm not certain he won't actually take a step back now that Edey is gone. Still will be a really good point guard, but so much of his activity happened as a direct result of Edey, or because Edey was attracting 2 sometimes 3 defenders. Even his rebounding abilities will be challenged greatly now with Edey being gone.

Loyer, without Edey...is mediocre at best. He was mediocre as often as he was good with Edey. I'm not sure how it gets anything but worse without Edey. He'll have some good games here and there, obviously. But by and large, no, I don't think he's all that good.

Heide is athletic, no clue if he can shoot or not, didn't look like it year 1. Colvin is athletic, but not what I'd call long. And he's streaky as heck as a shooter/scorer. One of the reasons he never led HC to much of anything in high school. Below .500 overall record I believe.

Where is Purdue gonna go this year when longer, athletic teams take Smith away, don't give Loyer open looks, and can guard the post 1 on 1? Painter will have some good movement and action to create some team look stuff, I'm sure. But they're gonna miss KC's ability to just go score.

But hey, keep up your optimism. You're probably gonna need it.

And let me remind you its a another 7 foot 3 center headed to purdue next year
Painter might have gotten another very impactful huge big...but he's pretty skinny. He definitely won't have the impact that Edey had, especially his junior and senior year.

Here's the catch 22 for Painter and Purdue though, with regards to Jacobsen...they probably need him to be good and impactful. Not sure TKR an Furst are leading a B10 Championship contending front court. If Jacobsen is impactful, however, and shows any sort of consistent shot blocking and rebounding...and then any comfortability on the perimeter...he's a 1 and done candidate. With 7 footers like him...it doesn't often take that long. If he's good and impactful...which Purdue needs him to be...he'll have potential first round grades. That's what its like in the real world with impactful big men.

Painter might have gotten another very impactful huge big...but he's pretty skinny. He definitely won't have the impact that Edey had, especially his junior and senior year.

Here's the catch 22 for Painter and Purdue though, with regards to Jacobsen...they probably need him to be good and impactful. Not sure TKR an Furst are leading a B10 Championship contending front court. If Jacobsen is impactful, however, and shows any sort of consistent shot blocking and rebounding...and then any comfortability on the perimeter...he's a 1 and done candidate. With 7 footers like him...it doesn't often take that long. If he's good and impactful...which Purdue needs him to be...he'll have potential first round grades. That's what its like in the real world with impactful big men.
Came here to say the exact same thing. Jacobsen will get run this year but probably not physically ready to play long spurts. But the second he shows a modern offensive game he's going to start showing up on draft boards. Might be a scenario where he's gone without making a huge individual impact.

It will hurt more next year when trying to make a final 4 run again.
You're not trying to make a final four run this year? That's why it's OK to lose a top-40 recruit?

That makes zero sense to anyone who has expectations of being a championship program. Coast this year because you're not good enough and turn it on next year to try to make a run to the FF. That's a losing mentality. No wonder you've only been to 3 FF in the last 128 years of having a team, but you're ok with it.

Smith is good. I've taken more than a little friendly fire here for my stance on him. But having said that, I'm not certain he won't actually take a step back now that Edey is gone. Still will be a really good point guard, but so much of his activity happened as a direct result of Edey, or because Edey was attracting 2 sometimes 3 defenders. Even his rebounding abilities will be challenged greatly now with Edey being gone.

Loyer, without Edey...is mediocre at best. He was mediocre as often as he was good with Edey. I'm not sure how it gets anything but worse without Edey. He'll have some good games here and there, obviously. But by and large, no, I don't think he's all that good.

Heide is athletic, no clue if he can shoot or not, didn't look like it year 1. Colvin is athletic, but not what I'd call long. And he's streaky as heck as a shooter/scorer. One of the reasons he never led HC to much of anything in high school. Below .500 overall record I believe.

Where is Purdue gonna go this year when longer, athletic teams take Smith away, don't give Loyer open looks, and can guard the post 1 on 1? Painter will have some good movement and action to create some team look stuff, I'm sure. But they're gonna miss KC's ability to just go score.

1. I could see that with Smith. I also see a scenarios where he thrives in a more up tempo offense that plays 4 out and way quicker . Will certainly be interesting to see what his game looks like as the offense changes to evolve around him more than a big.

2. I mostly agree on Loyer. He’s good in big games and disappears way too much for my liking. He needs more frame as well. He’s on my list of guys that could lose their starting spot this year if they aren’t careful. But even then, he’s a 25 minutes a game guy imo.

3. Small sample size, but Heide was 18-40 from 3 last year. He’s only going to get better. I’m not too concerned about Colvin in high school. He’s at Purdue now and is actually getting coached by good coaches, and he seems to have learned what it takes to get better. Being pissed about losing the NC should help drive him. He was streaky as a freshman, but so were his minutes, so how could he find a rhythm?

Painter will figure it out. He and PJ will evolve the offense to fit the team. But length disrupting the guards was going to stop this team all last year and yet, until Purdue played the one team that was better than them, it didn’t. So it just doesn’t concern me all that much. Also not sure top 4 in the big ten is optimistic. Maybe it is, but it is the expectation. And Purdue doesn’t have anymore questions than any other team in the big ten.

What if Harris or Jacobson come in and are as good or better than KC would have been? Not crazy outlandish to think either of them could push to be an all big ten freshman of the year from what I’ve seen. Benter and Cox are both longer guards, with Benter having the ability to play some 3. Are they ready right away? Both look the part for sure. Where do they stack up for minutes. Lots of questions for sure, but 17 other teams have them.

• Haha
You're not trying to make a final four run this year? That's why it's OK to lose a top-40 recruit?

That makes zero sense to anyone who has expectations of being a championship program. Coast this year because you're not good enough and turn it on next year to try to make a run to the FF. That's a losing mentality. No wonder you've only been to 3 FF in the last 128 years of having a team, but you're ok with it.
Didn’t realize I had to spell it out for you with every detail.

I agree i think purdue iu ucla ohio state thats where the big ten championship going to come from

Its coaching sir who is the best coach in the big ten i will wait

And let me remind you its a another 7 foot 3 center headed to purdue next year

d4297659-4b91-49ec-b070-f992828b751d_text.gif

I think Smith's scoring will increase because he's probably looking at getting 6+ more shots a game now with Edey gone, but his shooting percentage will drop a good bit as he has to take harder shots with teams focusing on stopping him, his assists will take a hit without Edey and his TO's will increase.

I think Smith's scoring will increase because he's probably looking at getting 6+ more shots a game now with Edey gone, but his shooting percentage will drop a good bit as he has to take harder shots with teams focusing on stopping him, his assists will take a hit without Edey and his TO's will increase.
Just a guess...he might score a point or two more a game. But his assists and rebounds will go down, and his turnovers will go up. So...similar numbers maybe, but MUCH less efficient.

lol .........

Look for a big jump out of Loyer. I think he goes heavy in the weight training and shows up in the fall at like 135, maybe 140 pounds.

No. It is against the rules to promise a specific dollar amount to players in recruiting.

And no. I didn’t say final 4 next year. Top 4 in big ten and competing for it. Big ten is wide open and every team has major question marks. Because of that, Purdue is top 4 in my preseason because Paint is coach.
Dude. Are you splaying tupid about NIL or just horribly uninformed? The players are totally able to negotiate $$ amounts with the NIL collective from the school they attend. They agree to an amount, a payout schedule, and it is in NO WAY illegal to do that. There is a lawsuit right now because a collective at U of FL didn't follow through with their agreed to amount with a QB they had committed. Ballo knows exactly how much he's getting paid at IU, when he gets his checks, and it was agreed before he committed.

You totally did say Final 4 you liar. I even made it BOLD when I quoted your post. To summarize, you think since the BT is wide open, that the unathletic guards you return, plus nobody to replace Edey, will be going on the road in the BT and winning often. That's what it takes to finish in the top 4 in the BT. PU will have a losing road record in the BT. That puts them around 7th place.

You got the post you deserve. I only discuss basketball with people who actually understand basketball. You, are not that ... your purpose here is to be laughed at.
What did I say in that post that is incorrect?

Dude. Are you splaying tupid about NIL or just horribly uninformed? The players are totally able to negotiate $$ amounts with the NIL collective from the school they attend. They agree to an amount, a payout schedule, and it is in NO WAY illegal to do that. There is a lawsuit right now because a collective at U of FL didn't follow through with their agreed to amount with a QB they had committed. Ballo knows exactly how much he's getting paid at IU, when he gets his checks, and it was agreed before he committed.

You totally did say Final 4 you liar. I even made it BOLD when I quoted your post. To summarize, you think since the BT is wide open, that the unathletic guards you return, plus nobody to replace Edey, will be going on the road in the BT and winning often. That's what it takes to finish in the top 4 in the BT. PU will have a losing road record in the BT. That puts them around 7th place.
Sorry. Forgot the news rules that don’t allow NIL rules to be enforced. Apologies.

I didn’t bold crap in a post. My final four talk was about 25-26. KC’s sophomore year, where I said it hurts worse. But yes, the big ten is wide open this year. And the best PG in the big ten will lead Purdue to a top 4 finish. But you have no interest in discussing or being reasonable. You don’t like Purdues players and think they have no one good. That’s fine. Cheers

All iam saying is the recuiting at purdue is getting a lot better jacobson and harris was both in espn top 100

Sorry. Forgot the news rules that don’t allow NIL rules to be enforced. Apologies.

I didn’t bold crap in a post. My final four talk was about 25-26. KC’s sophomore year, where I said it hurts worse. But yes, the big ten is wide open this year. And the best PG in the big ten will lead Purdue to a top 4 finish. But you have no interest in discussing or being reasonable. You don’t like Purdues players and think they have no one good. That’s fine. Cheers
The NIL rules allow $$ amounts, payment schedules, and all kinds of shit to be negotiated. It just can't come directly from the University. It is absolutely not an issue of rules not being enforced. You keep proving yourself clueless with each post about NIL. Then you wanna whine about my posts as well, while you continue to post in bad faith. Or you're really dumb.

I put your words in BOLD when I quoted and replied to you. Then you said you didn't say anything about the F4, so I told you that when I quoted your post and replied to you, that I put your words about the F4 in BOLD. Try and keep up.

I predicted 7th place. You took that to mean: "You don’t like Purdues players and think they have no one good."

YCMTSU

The NIL rules allow $$ amounts, payment schedules, and all kinds of shit to be negotiated. It just can't come directly from the University. It is absolutely not an issue of rules not being enforced. You keep proving yourself clueless with each post about NIL. Then you wanna whine about my posts as well, while you continue to post in bad faith. Or you're really dumb.

I put your words in BOLD when I quoted and replied to you. Then you said you didn't say anything about the F4, so I told you that when I quoted your post and replied to you, that I put your words about the F4 in BOLD. Try and keep up.

I predicted 7th place. You took that to mean: "You don’t like Purdues players and think they have no one good."

YCMTSU
Yes. You bolded where I said next year they will make a final 4. I could see how you are confused because this season of college basketball is 24-25. Next season is 25-26. Last season is 23-24. Sorry for the confusion. Had referred to this season elsewhere.

Also, it’s any good ones. Not no good ones. FYI

Also, you still haven’t clarified how this is incorrect “So you acknowledge Smith and Loyer are good. Heide and Colvin are athletic, long, and can shoot. You going to ignore that? Harris is coming in and looks really good. Same with Jacobson. Cox and Burgess look like they could be good, but how early? Same with Benter. I separate him because while he went to btown, he still played a tough schedule and consistently played better vs bigger schools and in tournaments. Hard to know what the freshman will be until they show up. They’ve reached the point where rankings do not mean squat.” something tells me you won’t tell me how “all of it pretty much” is wrong though. Oh well. Anyways, this is gotten way off topic of basketball discussion and into petty crap, so I’m out.

Yes. You bolded where I said next year they will make a final 4. I could see how you are confused because this season of college basketball is 24-25. Next season is 25-26. Last season is 23-24. Sorry for the confusion. Had referred to this season elsewhere.

Also, it’s any good ones. Not no good ones. FYI

Also, you still haven’t clarified how this is incorrect “So you acknowledge Smith and Loyer are good. Heide and Colvin are athletic, long, and can shoot. You going to ignore that? Harris is coming in and looks really good. Same with Jacobson. Cox and Burgess look like they could be good, but how early? Same with Benter. I separate him because while he went to btown, he still played a tough schedule and consistently played better vs bigger schools and in tournaments. Hard to know what the freshman will be until they show up. They’ve reached the point where rankings do not mean squat.” something tells me you won’t tell me how “all of it pretty much” is wrong though. Oh well. Anyways, this is gotten way off topic of basketball discussion and into petty crap, so I’m out.
Finally the silliness has ended.

Has anybody ever seen Boiler and Saratoga in the same room? Einhorn is Finkle, Finkle is Einhorn!

GQGU5K.gif

Last edited:
With kanon it was not about money it was playing time he was not going to be the man at purdue purdue is loaded even without edey
Define loaded? You are loaded
His role was likely discussed. And it likely sounded like this “if you come in and work hard and earn your time, you will play. If you are one of the best 5, you will start. If you aren’t good enough, you won’t play. I’m not promising you anything.” That’s what painter says to every recruit about playing time.
it is astounding to me that you continue to present hearsay as fact. I’d call it spin, but I think you genuinely believe it. A lot of hope and assumptions is going to lead to disappointment for you.

All iam saying is the recuiting at purdue is getting a lot better jacobson and harris was both in espn top 100
but that's countered by the fact that you just lost one of your highest rated recruits ever. Lot's of question marks about Paint doubling down on HS recruiting when the tide seems to be changing to mixing in transfers, which ironically, was successful for him last year. The new trend seems to be cutting the bottom half of your class in favor of mixing in experienced and proven transfers at positions of need, not recruiting 6 man, err, 5 man HS classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT