ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

I don’t see why Benter, Harris, or Jacobson can’t play. Haven’t watched much of Cox. Burg is completely unknown and was kind of behind the 2 time national player of the year.
Being on the court and playing competitively at a high level for 10-15 mpg are two different things. That’s what you expect from your 7-9 men. If it works out, color me impressed. I don’t see it though.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Being on the court and playing competitively at a high level for 10-15 mpg are two different things. That’s what you expect from your 7-9 men. If it works out, color me impressed. I don’t see it though.
I think it’s reasonable to think 1-2 freshman can do it. At this point, you kind of have to trust Painter right? He does it year after year. Those three freshman guards all look ready imo.

• Haha
PU returns 2 starting guards that have shown they can be shut down with length or quickness and have relied on a giant in the post. The rest are single digit scorers or players people expect will step up and average 10-15 ppg.

IU brings in a potential starting lineup of 5 proven double figure scorers. IU can bring a couple of experienced players off the bench with Galloway being a former starter. Tucker and Newton's contributions may be a little or a lot. Neither will have the added pressure of having to perform at a high level on day one.

I'm not buying PU's preseason hype. I expect them to be inconsistent as they learn how to score. As with most expectations, some payers will produce and some will struggle to meet expectations.

I think it’s reasonable to think 1-2 freshman can do it. At this point, you kind of have to trust Painter right? He does it year after year. Those three freshman guards all look ready imo.
I’ve seen 20 years of Painter. I know exactly what to expect. There’s not a single player on the roster who I’d fear taking a game over on a consistent basis. There’s no Edey. No Carsen Edwards. No Hummel. No Moore. No Caleb Swanigan. There’s not even a Vince Edwards or a JuJuan Johnson.

They’ve got some solid returning production and some youthful talent but they aren’t deep at all.

And that’s different from people saying catchings is a massive loss and a starter how?
Catchings was the crown jewel. Hes the highest ranked player Painter has gotten. You can downplay this all you want but it’s not like this isn’t a big loss. Nobody knows why he did this. Obviously he didn’t want to be in west Lafayette. His handlers kept pushing him there.

Catchings was the crown jewel. Hes the highest ranked player Painter has gotten. You can downplay this all you want but it’s not like this isn’t a big loss. Nobody knows why he did this. Obviously he didn’t want to be in west Lafayette. His handlers kept pushing him there.
No no no...this was all a part of Matt's master plan. All in the works all along. Just ask them.

I’ve seen 20 years of Painter. I know exactly what to expect. There’s not a single player on the roster who I’d fear taking a game over on a consistent basis. There’s no Edey. No Carsen Edwards. No Hummel. No Moore. No Caleb Swanigan. There’s not even a Vince Edwards or a JuJuan Johnson.

They’ve got some solid returning production and some youthful talent but they aren’t deep at all.
I think Heide and Smith will be able to take over games. Not sure why they couldn’t. Obviously Heide is a bit of a projection, but he and Colvin are poised to take bigger steps this year.

• Wow
I’m not downplaying it. It hurts in year 2 a lot, though now I wonder if Kanon would have had a year 2.

Highest rated recruit aye? Biggie was a 5 star. But also, rankings. lol no idea what Kanon was ranked, so not care. I watch guys play to determine how I think they fit. Besides, pretty sure rankings had Ivey and Carsen in the 90’s which was laughable coming out of high school.

I’ve been nothing be consistent before and after Kanon left. Purdue still has five really good players coming in and Kanon was more of a luxury this year. Benter, Cox, and Harris are more important to Purdues success as Purdue needs backup guards, and in Benter’s case, possibly play some 3 as well.

• Haha
You have 6 guys who have played a meaningful minute of college basketball; two of them being minor role players last year (Colvin + Heide) and Furst who has regressed every single year. That leaves Purdue with 3 solid starters, two high upside players who haven’t proven anything, and Furst who is serviceable at best.

Best case scenario Colvin and Heide take significant jumps and you just become a team with no bench, but most likely scenario is that you get a mixed bag with those two (inconsistency) and have to play 8,9 guys some who have no business playing big minutes right away.
I can see Heide improving to a point where he gets a big payday somewhere else for his last couple years.

This.

Purdue might end up being fine. But to act like this isn't a big loss is delusional. I don't think purdouche fans should act like the sky I falling but Christ, they are acting like this is a good thing.

I’m not downplaying it. It hurts in year 2 a lot, though now I wonder if Kanon would have had a year 2.

Highest rated recruit aye? Biggie was a 5 star. But also, rankings. lol no idea what Kanon was ranked, so not care. I watch guys play to determine how I think they fit. Besides, pretty sure rankings had Ivey and Carsen in the 90’s which was laughable coming out of high school.

I’ve been nothing be consistent before and after Kanon left. Purdue still has five really good players coming in and Kanon was more of a luxury this year. Benter, Cox, and Harris are more important to Purdues success as Purdue needs backup guards, and in Benter’s case, possibly play some 3 as well.
Someone mentioned that this news just puts Purdue back in the regional power category, when it looked like Painter and Purdue may be poised to jump into the national power conversation.

Now some stuff is coming out that Purdue welched on his NIL. If that’s true word travels fast. Another is they told him the Edey offense would change. I’d say he just didn’t want to be there in the first place.

I think Heide and Smith will be able to take over games. Not sure why they couldn’t. Obviously Heide is a bit of a projection, but he and Colvin are poised to take bigger steps this year.
We will find out this season how good Smith is. Huge * so far.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility
I'm not sure how big of a loss this is, if the guy left because he wasn't promised playing time. Not exactly the typical Painter recruit either.

I'm not sure how big of a loss this is, if the guy left because he wasn't promised playing time. Not exactly the typical Painter recruit either.
Not true. Painter is controlling this narrative but it’s coming out that it was many guarantees that were broken. not all about playing time. It was $$$ and the offense promised that changed. Broke a$$ program is going to find out.

Not true. Painter is controlling this narrative but it’s coming out that it was many guarantees that were broken. not all about playing time. It was $$$ and the offense promised that changed. Broke a$$ program is going to find out.
If true, those are some more serious problems. Interesting.

Someone mentioned that this news just puts Purdue back in the regional power category, when it looked like Painter and Purdue may be poised to jump into the national power conversation.
How so? Not sure it hurts Purdue's momentum at all. Maybe it detracts people who want guaranteed play time? But if you need that….

• Haha
I watched him create enough last year to know he will be good.
Yes, he will be good, he's proven that much. But, I think the projections (Sleepers) of him being B10 POY candidate are questionable. His scoring #s will rise, as will his TOs, and his shooting %, and assists will fall as teams can now prioritize stopping him without the Edey gravity pull on the floor. He's going to find it far, far different going forward, but he's certainly risen to every challenge. One of the Sleepers I think predicted Heide to be your leading scorer. I think it will still be Braden, but as I said, I think his FG% is going to drop a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if it was Heide... and I can't believe I'm saying that.

Yes, he will be good, he's proven that much. But, I think the projections (Sleepers) of him being B10 POY candidate are questionable. His scoring #s will rise, as will his TOs, and his shooting %, and assists will fall as teams can now prioritize stopping him without the Edey gravity pull on the floor. He's going to find it far, far different going forward, but he's certainly risen to every challenge. One of the Sleepers I think predicted Heide to be your leading scorer. I think it will still be Braden, but as I said, I think his FG% is going to drop a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if it was Heide... and I can't believe I'm saying that.
Heide, TKR, and Smith have a good chance. I’ve heard Colvin is really putting good work in as well. Heide and Colvin both have a chance to take massive steps. My guess is the offense looks much different next year, which might actually play to smiths strengths. More uptempo and more movement and slashing. Not worried about Painter and PJ drawing up good offense.

• Haha
Why would he even consider IU. He wanted a guaranteed starting spot and Painter said no.

Reactions: BoilerN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT