ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala Harris booked exclusive interview with Brett Baier on Fox

I don't know what government can do to drive prices down.

As for college costs (I know that’s not all you’re talking about), they need to get more stingy with lending. Let out funds per semester, with performance benchmarks. Limit loan sizes to the expected incomes of people having the degree they’re pursuing - no different than a mortgage being tethered to the value of a property,

But, in general, if inflation is ultimately the product of government spending too much money, then wouldn’t logic dictate….

Reactions: BradStevens
So now you're a mind reader?
You know what people 'think'?
What a rare gift......

LMAO!
Here's what Trump said:

I got indicted for nothing, for something that is nothing. And a lot of people said that’s why the Black people like me, because they have been hurt so badly and discriminated against, and they actually viewed me as I’m being discriminated against. It’s been pretty amazing but possibly, maybe, there’s something there.

Reactions: outside shooter
You’re exactly right. The Mega TV Ministries steal millions from Christians hanging on their every word.

Ministers in most communities are poorly compensated and some of the lowest wage earners in their communities.
Sorry, it’s not stealing, unless the church is being fraudulent. People can freely choose to spend their money how they like.

Sorry, it’s not stealing, unless the church is being fraudulent. People can freely choose to spend their money how they like.
Okay they’re conning many donors. I have many older Christian clients who get caught by these conmen. They watch on TV and send a donation. The next thing they know they’re on a monthly donation plan giving hundreds of thousands they really can’t afford but these conmen have preyed on their Christian hearts. I have so much disgust for these conmen.

he aint the royal gemstones. he's excited to go to some joint in rural indiana to eat buffet pizza. come on dude
Never said he is getting rich. But it pays the bills and at least in the towns around me a house is provided. Not bad.

My overall comment about the money grab is more at the macro level. Just saw the Los Angeles dioceses settled their sex scandal for over 880 million. Last I heard total settlements are between 3 and 4 billion. Don't get me started on the televangelist and megachurches.

Religion started out as something good but now seems to be little more than a transfer of money.

Reactions: outside shooter
Never said he is getting rich. But it pays the bills and at least in the towns around me a house is provided. Not bad.

My overall comment about the money grab is more at the macro level. Just saw the Los Angeles dioceses settled their sex scandal for over 880 million. Last I heard total settlements are between 3 and 4 billion. Don't get me started on the televangelist and megachurches.

Religion started out as something good but now seems to be little more than a transfer of money.
personally i view it as the opposite. i think the decline in church attendance has been a negative on communities. weekly/daily spending time, introspection, thinking about being a good person, in fellowship with your neighbors, a sense that there are things bigger than you, accountability, on and on has been very important in keepign people connected.

I'm an atheist, but you are overstating your case.

Yeah, sure.

Which one of these tickets are you running to vote for and why?
I'm not running to vote for anybody. I'm just noting that your screed isn't tethered to reality, in particular this part:
I just watched Harris being interviewed by Bair. Holy shit. What the **** is there to vote for?

All the Republicans who are now voting for her are frauds. All the Democrats voting for her are blind partisans.
Blanket statements like those are just silly.

I'm not running to vote for anybody. I'm just noting that your screed isn't tethered to reality, in particular this part:

Blanket statements like those are just silly.
I stand by them.

Republicans like Cheney who are voting for her are frauds. She has very little in common with what someone like him built a political career upon. Dems voting for her only do so because she's the Blue Team candidate, blind partisanship. If she's elected, we'll be in worse shape than we're in now. The same can be said for where we'll be if Trump is elected. It's a question of how much worse.

As for college costs (I know that’s not all you’re talking about), they need to get more stingy with lending. Let out funds per semester, with performance benchmarks. Limit loan sizes to the expected incomes of people having the degree they’re pursuing - no different than a mortgage being tethered to the value of a property,

But, in general, if inflation is ultimately the product of government spending too much money, then wouldn’t logic dictate….

On college costs, I don't know if our problem stems from philosophy and religious studies majors. In fact I suspect much of our current issues stem from Americans not taking philosophy. I don't know that basically eliminating it would help. And that would be the result.

Once I retire I will start a thread on university costs. I am not an expert on that side, but I have some theories that will not endear me.

Cutting aid programs is an idea, I am not necessarily critical except we will be faced with a lot of kids being locked out. Or an even larger glut of MBAs, which are practically ubiquitous already.

I think I would be OK with funding X% of a STEM major and X-Y of all others (including lawyers and MBAs). We can haggle over numbers.

As to your last paragraph, I keep hawking the spending freeze. But inflation is only partly government (maybe a big part but we had inflation in the 1800s when there was almost no government). I do not know any factory worker who would agree to 0% inflation with no more raises, ever.

Reactions: BradStevens
Because things I want to buy cost so much more now, it's impacting me. Most people use the term as including a current high cost of living in relation to their own wealth/income. That's how I'm using it, too.

I am not alone:

I get that feeling and understand that you aren't alone in that feeling, but in terms of policy looking forward are you looking for deflation?

It's estimated that prices have grown around 20% over the last four years when that growth would have been 8% to 10% if we were hitting FED targets. Meanwhile, average wages in the U.S. have grown between 18% and 25% over that time depending on what statistics you are looking at. The positive thing that is going to improve the situation is wage growth that outstrips inflation, which has been the case since January 2023.

Maybe it's just my personality that focuses on solutions when I hear about a problem, but it seems like the solution is already in place. That's what puzzles me when I hear that it is one of our most pressing problems.

On college costs, I don't know if our problem stems from philosophy and religious studies majors. In fact I suspect much of our current issues stem from Americans not taking philosophy. I don't know that basically eliminating it would help. And that would be the result.

Once I retire I will start a thread on university costs. I am not an expert on that side, but I have some theories that will not endear me.

Cutting aid programs is an idea, I am not necessarily critical except we will be faced with a lot of kids being locked out. Or an even larger glut of MBAs, which are practically ubiquitous already.

I think I would be OK with funding X% of a STEM major and X-Y of all others (including lawyers and MBAs). We can haggle over numbers.

As to your last paragraph, I keep hawking the spending freeze. But inflation is only partly government (maybe a big part but we had inflation in the 1800s when there was almost no government). I do not know any factory worker who would agree to 0% inflation with no more raises, ever.

I would hazard to guess that anybody who got a college degree that was actually worth what it cost to obtain isn't having too much problem affording the loan payments. The fact that we have a massive epidemic of distressed student loans just practically screams that a whole lot of the degrees are simply not worth the cost.

The deal I've made with my sons is that I'll pay for their college -- but it'll be prorated based on their major and the progress they make towards a degree in that field. I think this is eminently sensible, and I don't know why any student lender wouldn't approach education finance similarly.

As for inflation writ large, in the 1800s, we may not have had a huge government. But the 3 highest years of inflation in that century were 1862, 1863, and 1864. Any guesses as to what may have caused that? They had a pretty expensive event around that time.

And keep in mind that the federal government has always been the only American entity legally allowed to issue currency. Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon.

I get that feeling and understand that you aren't alone in that feeling, but in terms of policy looking forward are you looking for deflation?

It's estimated that prices have grown around 20% over the last four years when that growth would have been 8% to 10% if we were hitting FED targets. Meanwhile, average wages in the U.S. have grown between 18% and 25% over that time depending on what statistics you are looking at. The positive thing that is going to improve the situation is wage growth that outstrips inflation, which has been the case since January 2023.

Maybe it's just my personality that focuses on solutions when I hear about a problem, but it seems like the solution is already in place. That's what puzzles me when I hear that it is one of our most pressing problems.
It’s not a subjective feeling w/r/t my own financial situation. It’s a fact. As it is with many, many others. Calling it a feeling is condescending and incorrectly interprets the data. Want to say we can’t govern the nation based on your own personal financial issues? Fine. But please don’t minimize the actual fact of the situation. (Dems doing it are not helping themselves out, either—it’s bad politics, see my response to Marv).

Re solutions for the nation, I think it’s pretty reasonable to question whether or not Kamala Harris is a candidate who will be focused on or effective at implementing govt policy that gooses (or at least does not hamper) wage growth overall. What in her background gives you faith in her on that issue?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
And unemployment was 6.3%.
3.7 pre Covid. Low inflation. Low rates. Low unemployment. Harris Biden came in and blew up the border and with progressive ideology as set forth in a vox article in this thread blew up inflation

From defund to the border progressive ideas are a disaster

I stand by them.

Republicans like Cheney who are voting for her are frauds. She has very little in common with what someone like him built a political career upon. Dems voting for her only do so because she's the Blue Team candidate, blind partisanship. If she's elected, we'll be in worse shape than we're in now. The same can be said for where we'll be if Trump is elected. It's a question of how much worse.
Cheney is not a fraud. He is a war head and goes where there is support for his agenda to push for war.

Harris is the biggest phony and liar in the political scene. If not a liar then she is really struggling to push the puppet masters message who appointed her to be the candidate without a single vote.

Now for something completely different, Scumbag Zelensky is threating to become a Nuclear nation if not let into NATO. Who couldn't predict that Ukraine would eventually become an enemy. Imagine going to an interview to present your case to join an alliance and that is what you respond with. I'd say F off and no more money or backing from the US. I've already said that. Of course the current US regime ponies up 425 mil more in money and weapons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT